Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: .308 Win Sporter (POF) Finally reviewed

Member Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistanitoup View Post
    no dear. actually i have no experience of hunting in high altitude areas. this is something new for me.

what if he uses M118 LR ammo in this POF Sporter ?

i have some big bore military rifles but have no idea about guns for high altitude hunting.

cheers
    Sporter is basically a combat gun
    You may shoot wild boars effectively with it but that's about it.
    Most people buy it as a hunting gun alternate. Which it is not meant to be.
    The same round *.308* will be much more accurate in bolt action then your sporter.
    And in higher altitudes sporter definitely is not your best bet.
    I'm afraid it's not your round type but the guns configuration which is semi

Congratulations! Jibz on your Rifle. Almost three years have been passed since you get your hands on this rifle. You must have tested it by all means so far. I have a question as you are real owner of one of the guns I am going to talk about. What would you say about its accuracy and durability with respect to long range shooting (500 Yards) compared with Izhmash Dragunov Tigr .308.
    Regards.
    The Rajput Regiment - Real War Lords

Quote Originally Posted by shahroze View Post
    Sporter is basically a combat gun
    You may shoot wild boars effectively with it but that's about it.
    Most people buy it as a hunting gun alternate. Which it is not meant to be.
    The same round *.308* will be much more accurate in bolt action then your sporter.
    And in higher altitudes sporter definitely is not your best bet.
    I'm afraid it's not your round type but the guns configuration which is semi
    i think one should fine an M24 sws with match grade ammo.
    Keep Calm & Carry One

Quote Originally Posted by zidirajput View Post
    Congratulations! Jibz on your Rifle. Almost three years have been passed since you get your hands on this rifle. You must have tested it by all means so far. I have a question as you are real owner of one of the guns I am going to talk about. What would you say about its accuracy and durability with respect to long range shooting (500 Yards) compared with Izhmash Dragunov Tigr .308.
    Regards.
    Dera Manana Roor. Yes you are right, I have tested it with different types of ammo, mostly NATO e.g. LC, SBS, FC, LR M118 and also some POF. Only twice I had failure to feed and that was because of an old 20 round magazine which I was using that belonged to a friend. The 6 round magazines which came with it and another 20 round magazine which i acquired later on are working perfectly fine.
    As far as accuracy is concerned, i have shot 12x12 target at 635 meter with it in quite a windy condition. Unfortunately the scope rings which I am using are Cheap Chinese hence I have a feeling that it can improve even more. Anyways for range plinking up to 500 meters it's quite sufficient.
    “Bottom Line; If We’re Gonna Have Fun, There Better Be A Lot Of Ammo!”

Quote Originally Posted by pakistanitoup View Post
    i think one should fine an M24 sws with match grade ammo.
    I am a big fan of M24 but I am afraid finding one nowadays in a precision shooting state is a rarity.

much better option is to get a Romanian PSL rifle instead of pof sporter in the same price range. 7.62x54R surplus russian ammo too comes in 5 varities @ 55/ round and is extrmely accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakar View Post
    much better option is to get a Romanian PSL rifle instead of pof sporter in the same price range. 7.62x54R surplus russian ammo too comes in 5 varities @ 55/ round and is extrmely accurate.
    The problem is you can not get a licencec for it.

I've got a rifle license (Sindh), do I need a special permit for .308 like I do for .223?

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zee_shah View Post
    I've got a rifle license (Sindh), do I need a special permit for .308 like I do for .223?
    Hanh Hanh bilkul Bilkul ^

(Yes , Yes definitely, definitely ^)
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jibz View Post
    I am a big fan of M24 but I am afraid finding one nowadays in a precision shooting state is a rarity.
    well dear, they can popup from nowhere if luck is at your side.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakar View Post
    old military surplus 7.62'54R will never ever outperform modern match grade .308 ammo.
    Keep Calm & Carry One

Member Extraordinaire
    I agree with pakistanitoup

Member Extraordinaire ajmal virk's Avatar
    everything can be found if you know right persons and right places

Member Extraordinaire
    And you are a very resourceful person.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibz View Post
    Review Part 4

Cleaning Kit
    The cleaning kit that came with the Sporter in in a plastic box 4x6 inches. It comprises of three different types of brushes, a weighted chord and bore cleaning rags. In the old designs of HK91 and G3, the cleaning kit used to be in the shape of a tube which was inserted in another tube right under the front sight tip above the muzzle.

Weight Consideration
    The POF’s website doesn’t state the weight of the Sporter, however based on the weighing scale which I have at home, it was slightly more than 8.7 pounds. So with this empty weight (more with scope, sling, magazine and ammo), the Sporter isn’t exactly something which you would want to carry while hunting in woods or in a mountainous area. With this much weight, I am not sure if hunting was a primary consideration in designing and launch of this rifle, however, it would certainly work well when reliability and ruggedness is a greater requirement than weight.

Field Stripping & Disassembly:
    For field stripping the Sporter, the two pins at the rear of the receiver (near the buttstock) have to be pushed out and then the butt can then be extracted to the rear. The operating spring and guide rod would come out with it. The pistol grip and trigger pack is attached with the receiver through another pin which when removed, the trigger pack should be easily removed. After that once the muzzle end is raised, a slight backward jerk on the charging handle would send the bolt and bolt carrier group out the rear of the receiver. The field tripping of the Sporter is quite quick and simple.

Pictured below, the two pins above and behind the pistol grip and a single pin right above the magazine release lever need to be removed to disassemble the rifle.

Fit, Appearance & Finesse
    The fit between the metal parts and polymer (stock, front handguard and pistol grip) is very good. I didn’t observe any uneven gaps or flimsiness as far as the fit is concerned. However, and that’s a big HOWEVER, the finish of the Sporter is poor. Many would term it as crappy, yes you heard me right; it’s crappy. Let me explain it in detail; the surface finish of the metal is perfectly fine, no doubt about that. It looks quite obvious that for the workmanship on the metal parts, POF utilized the services of the best there is. But after that, it seems as if POF lost all interest in this project and they gave the Sporter to a roadside Truck-Art painter and asked him to paint it black with a 4 inch wide brush. It would have been OK if that Truck-Art painter had given it a coat or two at max, but it seems that the guy was adamant on giving it at-least a dozen coats. The paint is rough at places and can be scratched off even with a finger nail. Now to be honest, for me that’s not a big issue as I can play miracles with its finish. Fortunately, the people I know can beautify the Sporter in a way that even Daniel Defence will be head over heels to see it. (No I am not joking at all). But this good fortune is not enjoyed by many. So POF needs to keep this in consideration that their 308 Win Sporter is a civilian product and Finesse is an integral part of any merchandise intended for the general public i.e. gun enthusiasts.
    My overall verdict about the fit is that the rifle is solid and a very tight gun, but a lot needs to be desired in Finesse department.

Final Thoughts
    Along with hunters, another breed of shooters who might want to get hold of the Sporter could be those who are kicking off with newly entering the sport of long distance shooting competitions. In many movies we have seen those long distance snipers equipped with HK91 based platform rifles so with a proven record of accuracy and reliability, Sporter is also expected to do good for these shooters.

Re read your review as I have been contemplating the purchase. Just curious, what is your experience after over 3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by zee_shah View Post
    Re read your review as I have been contemplating the purchase. Just curious, what is your experience after over 3 years?
    My dear I am very sorry for the delayed reply as I totally missed out to check back this thread.
    Considering the prices of other 308 Rifles in the market, I am now very confident that sporter is a pretty decent value for money rifle.
    As far as functionality is concerned I have yet to encounter any failure to feed or failure to eject.
    With proper optics and good quality rings along with match grade ammunition, I have had satisfactory results with it.