Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Identifying The Snake

Help Identifying The Snake

Today, I shot a snake in the backyard of my house, please help me identify, what type is it and is this snake venomous or not.

Name:  192153.jpg
Views: 2311
Size:  92.8 KBName:  192200.jpg
Views: 2336
Size:  84.0 KB

Today, in the evening, in the backyard of my house, where I keep my pet birds, I saw a medium sized snake, feasting on the newly hatched chicks of my zebra finches. I hurriedly grabbed an air gun (GS1250, only one I had without scope), loaded it with a wad cutter (flat head) pellet, with some more pellets in my pocket, aimed at its head and shot it at close range. Pellet ripped about half of its neck. Snake twitched a bit and went motionless. On close inspection I saw that it had eaten one chick and was trying to swallow the other one.

Please help me identify the species and whether it is venomous or not, just in case, another one come by.
    "Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading."

Well don't know about the snake, But what other pets do you have.
    I also have interest in pets and have some birds.
    Sorry if think its inappropriate to ask here.
    Communist until you get rich; Feminist until you get married; Atheist until the airplane starts falling.

Not much, few pairs of zebra finches, a bengalese pair, one pair of strawberry finch (red munia). Also few white tail diamond doves, some indian parrots and love birds.
    "Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading."

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    Today, I shot a snake in the backyard of my house, please help me identify, what type is it and is this snake venomous or not.

Name:  192153.jpg
Views: 2311
Size:  92.8 KBName:  192200.jpg
Views: 2336
Size:  84.0 KB

Today, in the evening, in the backyard of my house, where I keep my pet birds, I saw a medium sized snake, feasting on the newly hatched chicks of my zebra finches. I hurriedly grabbed an air gun (GS1250, only one I had without scope), loaded it with a wad cutter (flat head) pellet, with some more pellets in my pocket, aimed at its head and shot it at close range. Pellet ripped about half of its neck. Snake twitched a bit and went motionless. On close inspection I saw that it had eaten one chick and was trying to swallow the other one.

Please help me identify the species and whether it is venomous or not, just in case, another one come by.
    Picture is not very clear but it resembles a Russell viper. If so, it is poisonous (Hemotoxic)

This particular snake is small, see the matchstick placed next to it. A Russell's viper on the other hand is a medium length but thick bodied snake, a 3-4 feet russell would be thicker than a normal person's wrist.

But very good shooting, hitting such a small target and a probably dangerous one as well is difficult to say the least.

indian grass snake. its non-venomous

I think it is an ordinary grass snake.

An airgun is a very important tool in any household.Ive shot several snakes with my Gamo shadow 1000.
    Good shooting!
    \"Ye daulut bhee lai lo,ye shurat bhee lai lau
    bhalay cheen lo mujsay meri jawaani
    *MAGAR*
    Muj ko Lauta do wo bijli,wo ata,wo chawal,wo roti,wo cheeni,wo pani Bhalay cheen lo mujsai meri jawani\"

for this the closeups of snake's head, mouth internal and tail were necessary along with your location. this most probably would be a poor noon venomous snake.

With your help and searching a bit on the net, I found that it is probably a Glossy-Bellied Racer Snake. It is a graceful snake with smooth, round, elongate, gradually tapering body with the tail more than one-fourth the total length.Racers are not poisonous and do not present any danger to humans, yet they can display aggressive behavior and bite when cornered.

Member Extraordinaire ajmal virk's Avatar
    Can anybody tell me how to identify "Asteen KA saanp"

Quote Originally Posted by ajmal virk View Post
    Can anybody tell me how to identify "Asteen KA saanp"
    Its impossible to identifty until it bites you then its too late.

Another problem with 'asteen ka saanp' will be shooting it.............you'd end up shooting yourself also, sort of like 'damned if you do damned if you dont'

PakGuns Expert Panel
    Quote Originally Posted by Malang View Post
    Picture is not very clear but it resembles a Russell viper. If so, it is poisonous (Hemotoxic)
    This is not Russels Viper. Most snakes with distinct Black and yellow colours are poisonous a rough guide.
    Dull khaki greyish or brownish in our part of the world are not; But this is a general statement there are species which fit this description but are venomous.
    JU

Quote Originally Posted by FA226 View Post
    Its impossible to identifty until it bites you then its too late.
    +1 Bro.
    100% agree.
    My life my rules...
    Afzaal.pg @ gmail

Quote Originally Posted by Afzaal View Post
    +1 Bro.
    100% agree.
    Afzaal are you from Aimanabad near Gujranwala?

No Brother im from Attock...
    My life my rules...
    Afzaal.pg @ gmail

If any spaira is around ?

My life my rules...
    Afzaal.pg @ gmail

Enthusiast
    This is rat snake. Non poisonous.

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turumti View Post
    This is rat snake. Non poisonous.
    Why is it called that? Does it eat rats?
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com