Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: PX-3 (7.62x25)- Finally Reviewed With Range Report

PX-3 (7.62x25)- Finally Reviewed With Range Report

If I reckon correctly, it was in May 2014, when someone on the forum announced that PX-3 (7.62x25), a Chinese semi-auto handgun has reached our shores. This news was received by many with enthusiasm and by others with a mixed reaction. The fact remains that seldom does an opportunity arises when a manufacturer goes back to their drawing board and brings out a handgun which is destined to be fed obsolete ammo and thatís what we had in the new PX-3.
    I also remember that among other comments about the PX-3, the most memorable were, its not good; It looks nice; itís a bad copy of Sig; itís almost the same as NP22 or for that reason even HP77B (with the exception of the rail); it wonít bear the pressure of a 7.62x25; it will not be accurate and what not and what not. During our conversations, Aquarius sir and myself did discuss this handgun many a times but talking about a gun and then letting it talk its heart out on a range are two very different things. So we decided that it was time to put PX-3 under scrutiny and no better place for doing that other than on a shooting range. Colt1911 was kind enough to join us and unfortunately Dr Gilani couldnít make it. We missed you dearly, Dr Gilani sir.
    On 14th August when the nation was celebrating the Independence Day; supporters of two political parties were marching in rallies; Peshawar chapter of PG was hell bent on testing PX-3 at the most humid possible hours of the day. Ufff it was hot and humid.. Marr dita, simply. So here is our take.

FEW COMMENTS ON PX-3's LOOKS
    Although PX-3 is completely based on NP22 platform (which itself is based on Sig), the most innovative thing about it is its caliber. But wait, could its caliber be the ONLY most innovative thing about this handgun; no not at all; why are we forgetting that unlike other 7.62x25 caliber handguns (TT, CZ52 and even the C96-7.63x25) it has a Picatinny rail where all the bells and whistles aka ďbling blingĒ could be attached. NP22 has currently established itself in our country in the 9mm division and the same may be expected from PX-3.

The grips on PX-3 are moulded plastic and the checkering is negligibly aggressive. The magazine release has slanting serrations. The serrations on the slide are tilted towards the front from top and are sufficiently grooved to give the user a clamping grip. The piece which we were testing at the range was somewhat excessively oiled but we could still grip the slide very comfortable with sweaty and oily hands. Horizontal serrations have been made in the trigger guard which is a blessing for shooters like me who tend to place their index finger of the support hand on these serrated trigger guards. PX-3 is featured with white three-dot sight system that may be a breath of fresh air for the traditional 7.62x25 users.

Mechanically speaking, to naked eye, there is no significant change in the design of PX-3 from NP22 with the exception of an elongated grip eventually a result of the longer 7.62x25 caliber round. We didnít have NP22 on the range however, it was confirmed by the rest of the PG members like Aquarius and Colt1911 that the grips may be the only difference between the two.

Length 199mm (7.83 Inches)

Height 140mm (5.51 Inches)
    Barrel length 112mm (4.41)
    Number of rifling grooves 4 (With Clockwise turns)
    Weight (excluding magazine) 820gm
    Magazine weight (empty) 100 gm,
    (The above information on length, weight etc is sourced from the manual which came with the handgun)

As stated earlier, PX-3's sights are easy-to-see, however, a new user may (or may not) initially have to struggle with them to get-used-to. NP22 users may not feel any difference whatsoever with its sights. About the trigger, what we all noticed (and was quite interesting) that it was satisfactorily crisp. Yes, we were under the impression that like many other handguns, PX-3ís trigger may also require break-in but in-fact it didnít at all. The first stage travel was medium length and then the second stage started and ended immediately; there was a negligible travel. The trigger broke quite crisply and this I am stating in comparison to CZ handguns. By no way am I stating that it had a better trigger than the CZ; rather I am trying to say that it performed better than what we expected. The trigger reset was very short and quick double or triple taps were easily possible with it. (Clearly captured in the videos)

The pistolís slide profile is slimmer than that of a Duty P07, which was available on the range so from everyday carry point of view if one feels comfortable with NP22 or Duty, PX-3 wonít be even minutely different. Talking about levers and other related protrusions, the decocker was not that intuitive to operate however the magazine release was easier to reach.

Stay tuned.. There is more to come.

EVERY DAY CARRY
    With my stature (in dimensional termsÖ. ), even CZ97B is an everyday carry gun so I donít consider myself to be the right person to give his opinion on the matter, however, if one feels comfortable in carting around NP22 for everyday carry, PX-3 would also not be a turn off. I guess a simple belt holster should suffice for carrying PX-3. The full-sized grip might create some issues for certain holster choices. PX-3 offers more than reasonable capacity (considering its old aged competitors in similar calibre) and is still very much concealable.

METALLURGY
    I always wonder how come people start commenting on metallurgy when they donít have access to any lab which can analyse the chemical composition of a metal or give exact info on the type/grade of metal being used. Yes, yes I am sure it must be a surprise to some but that is the fact which our dear commentators need to realize that you actually require a technical lab/facility to analyse metallurgy and canít actually be done while sitting in-front of a computer. I also donít have access to any such lab so would refrain from commenting on it. If at all I have to comment, I will do so with regard to PX-3ís built quality and that too in comparative terms. So here is how I can put it in simplest possible way; ďThe built quality of PX-3 seems similar to NP22 or HP77BĒ. I donít think anything else needs to be stated here anymore.

RANGE REPORT
    For many shooters, TT has always been considered exceptionally accurate and thus the same may be expected from PX-3 as well. At the range, since the only available ammo was Norinco, we could not run a selection of other popular ammunition through it like the Czech S&B or Serbian Prvi etc, well next time, inshAllah.

As one might expect that due to its 7.62x25 calibre PX-3 may have a hard recoil, in fact thatís not the case and its recoil can be categorized in medium-recoil pistols (You will observe that in the videos). The full-sized grip certainly makes recoil manageable, though, and I found it to have more than acceptable accuracy for a carry gun. BTW, I really liked its full-sized grip.

As stated earlier, felt recoil was at an average level and seemingly due to its large grips the muzzle flip was very much in control. I personally, donít feel comfortable with TTís grips as they tend to be too skinny (in weaponry termsÖ. lol) for my taste. Iíve always found the grip on NP22 to be better contoured for my hands and PX-3 (despite being slightly larger) was no exception. Not only it fit well in my hand, I can confidently report that Aquarius and Colt1911 also felt comfortable with them. Shooting the PX-3 didnít disappoint me or the other esteemed members present at the range, rather we all were sufficiently impressed with the accuracy level that can be obtained with its 7.62x25 caliber round. Having put about 180 test rounds through PX-3, we didnít experience a single malfunction.

Stay tuned. Videos are next.
    Last edited by Jibz; 16-08-2014 at 10:24 PM.

PX-3 Range Report Videos

I was the first one to shoot PX-3. In the video you can see that I took the first shoot and then a small pause and then I let it have it. It went flawless.
    http://vid1341.photobucket.com/album...ps3fe3f748.mp4

Aquarius Sir giving it a go for the first timeÖ
    http://vid1341.photobucket.com/album...psee072b85.mp4

Aquarius Ė 15 Meters target shooting
    http://vid1341.photobucket.com/album...ps000f0fdb.mp4

Aquarius Ė25 meters target shooting
    http://vid1341.photobucket.com/album...psf191d94f.mp4

Aquarius Ė17 Rounds- Quick Shots On TargetĖ 15 Meters
    http://vid1341.photobucket.com/album...pse597202a.mp4

Jibz Ė15 meters target shooting
    Due to wrong placement of the camera and unnecessarily higher zoom (my bad), the first three shots are not visible however at the end of the video all 5 shots can be seen.
    http://vid1341.photobucket.com/album...ps227a7a03.mp4

Jibz Ė25 meters target shooting
    http://vid1341.photobucket.com/album...ps1e890a19.mp4

Colt1911Ė25 meters target shooting
    http://vid1341.photobucket.com/album...psfdb9a5cc.mp4

Aquarius Ė17 Rounds Rapid Fire (5.75 seconds)
    http://vid1341.photobucket.com/album...psdb7078a5.mp4

Aquarius Ė17 Rounds Rapid Fire (5.45 seconds)
    http://vid1341.photobucket.com/album...psfc39c667.mp4

Jibz Ė17 Rounds Rapid Fire (3.42 seconds)
    http://vid1341.photobucket.com/album...ps2a814691.mp4
    Last edited by Jibz; 16-08-2014 at 10:47 PM.

A thorough review, now lets c how it performed
    Before you embark on a journey of Revenge, dig two graves - Confucius (504 BC)
    102nd Chairborne Rangers, Special Forums Operator Delta, The Keyboard Commandos

Nice review & thanks for the effort.

Will read the full review after some time but let me ask a quicky.

"HOW IS GRIP" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz View Post
    A thorough review, now lets c how it performed
    Thanks and Satisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by Mian Jee View Post
    Nice review & thanks for the effort.
    Will read the full review after some time but let me ask a quicky.
    "HOW IS GRIP" ?
    Large but somehow manageable and I am saying this in reference to Aquarius sir and Colt1911's feedback as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibz View Post
    Large but somehow manageable and I am saying this in reference to Aquarius sir and Colt1911's feedback as well.
    Pardon me, but it's huge. Totally useless for small handed people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mian Jee View Post
    Pardon me, but it's huge. Totally useless for small handed people.
    Depends, I wont term it "totally" useless as it may be a complete generalization...

nice review....and terrific rapid fire jibz bro....
    sir what about it's accuracy and barrel life? barell chromed or not? also mention the price

Nice review janab, is that DSA range? and are those Peltor H10A muffs?
    the accuracy in Aquarius first test fire video is not up to the mark of TT, May be its a new gun and you need to get used to it but i am sure you can perform better with the TT
    Communist until you get rich; Feminist until you get married; Atheist until the airplane starts falling.

Nice review keep up the good work
    Its not the gun but the man behind the gun that matters

Enthusiast
    Great effort guyz... really commendable especially Jibz bro who did extra effort of sharing it with us
    like the detail and brevity of the contents
    Before all else, be armed
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Great detailed review... Good effort
    If God didn't want us to have GUNS, He wouldn't have given us GUN fingers...

good review guys thanks for sharing the experience.

Supreme Member
    Thanks for a very thorough, well written, and objective review. I really enjoyed reading it!

The man who fears no truth has nothing to fear from lies.
    (Thomas Jefferson)

Member Emeritus
    Great effort.. a very nice & thorough review by Jibz bro.. really appreciate your hard work bro.

@Mian Jee:
    Its grips are big as I also mentioned few times in my previous posts, but they are comfortable for medium to large hands.

@HussainAyub:
    Yes bro it has a chromed barrel.

@shahroze:
    Its accurate but one should get used to every gun.. TT has the advantage of having a longer barrel but then PX-3 has the advantage of having more than double TT's magazine capacity.

@ALL:
    The PX-3 looks quite a solid handgun, but still firing just 180 rounds doesn't justify that it is a durable handgun.. one should fire atleast 1000 rounds through it before coming to a solid conclusion.. but again I will say that the gun looks solid.. barrel to slide and slide to frame fit is very good and all the parts looks solid.. these pictures are taken after firing these 180 rounds through its and the outer black coating of barrel shows very little smiley.

Overall me, Jibz & Colt brothers and one other fellow (not a PakGuns member) who also fired it, are quite satisfied with its performance.

Blog Entries
    A new gun reviewed after quite a long & in such an objective way, thanks Jibs bro (and Aquarius, Colt1911 bratheran) for introducing another high cap pistol option that too in a medium rifle caliber.
    Glad to see Aquarius bro shooting; his grip, stance, reaction to recoil, eye blink with trigger pull etc are just what I shoot like.
    OK let me figure what to replace with this new exotic gun ��

P.S. Jibs bro, is it possible to post photos of px-3 disassembled ? Showing internal finish & mechanism ?
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

nice nice nice review ; congratulation to all you guys i mean Jibz bro, Aquarius Bro and Colt 1911, PG Peshawar did that atlast , i appreciate your sir, 180 round with no malfunctions is outstanding, i forget to breath after picking up this thread.....
    @ Mian Jee : sir small to medium hands size can handle well the grips , have seen my friend with me at range.

Great review!
    Finally the 7.62*25 enthusiasts now have a new platform!
    \"Ye daulut bhee lai lo,ye shurat bhee lai lau
    bhalay cheen lo mujsay meri jawaani
    *MAGAR*
    Muj ko Lauta do wo bijli,wo ata,wo chawal,wo roti,wo cheeni,wo pani Bhalay cheen lo mujsai meri jawani\"

Member Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Denovo87 View Post
    Glad to see Aquarius bro shooting; his grip, stance, reaction to recoil, eye blink with trigger pull etc are just what I shoot like.
    I knew you will say that Dany bro.. you even notice my eye blink with trigger pull "with your Eagle Eyes".
    BTW its a compliment for me that I shoot like you.