Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Kumrat Valley: A Pictorial By Jibz

Revisiting Kumrat Valley: A Journey Through The Trotted Path

Yes, there was another trip to the majestic valley of Kumrat and this time it was after 3 years that I got a chance to do so. One of the major reasons why I could not make it earlier was the non-availability of a 4x4 vehicle because if you guys remember, I mentioned in my past write up that it is a Jeepable track ONLY and should not be tried out with a car. Anyways, I got myself a ride and what a ride it was; simply speechless. And speechless I will remain because the pictures will do the talking from here onwards.
    But first some updates.
    The road from Chakdara to Timergara is in very good condition now. And on top of it, the road from Timergara to Upper Dir is extraordinary; yes you heard me right, it’s outstanding.
    Secondly, unlike last time when we adopted the old route from upper Dir to Sheringle which took us almost 3 hours, this time we went through the new road which is still under construction, but the great thing about it was that despite the fact that work was being carried out on it, it took us only 1 hour to reach Sheringle. Till the mid of May, 30% of the road had been completed and the rest was being paved. This new route to Sheringle starts from the area of CHOWKI ATAN (I hope the spellings are correct) which is few KMs short of reaching Upper Dir. I did not take any photographs on the way to Sheringle from Chowki Atan, however, on the way back, I did snap few so will share them later.

This is on the way from Sheringle to Kumrat. The half built bridge is visible. I guess the water course changed its route that's why the bridge looks half-built.

“Bottom Line; If We’re Gonna Have Fun, There Better Be A Lot Of Ammo!”

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Oh Sir, this is beautiful. Thanks for loaning us the use of your eyes to check it out.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

MashaAllah Jizbz bro,nice tour.

The road from Sheringle to Thall (which is around 5 km short of Kumrat) was bearable in the sense that one can drive on it in a car. But then from Thall to Kumrat and onwards it becomes a completely Off-Road track. A jeep is definitely what is required from Thall onward. (NOTE: Please be merciful to your cars and don’t make them go through the hell which I took my Lancer through, during the last trip).
    From Sheringle it took us 1.5 hours to reach Thall and then the last 5 km to Kumrat took almost another 45 minutes. And then there it was, Kumrat Valley, with its unmatched beauty and a mesmerizing feeling.

Alas, that mesmerizing feeling was very short lived because we immediately discovered that the very green pastures we had roamed about in our last trip were now full of Cow and Horse dung. Yes, the brown “thingys” you see in the green grass are what I am referring to. It was the same scene which we had seen in Mahudand Lake-Swat. The horses which the tourists very gladly like to ride upon in these green fields are the major culprits in this regard. Please note that I love horses but I simply cant fathom why the tourists like to ride horses in these beautiful places where instead they should be enjoying the scenes and sceneries.
    Anyways, this was not the only setback which struck us; there was more. Due to the somewhat-increase in the influx of tourists in the area, temporary sheds/cabins were being constructed out of wood and that resulted in cutting of trees.

The stumps of the trees are clearly visible and is a constant reminder that we as humans are adamant on destroying Almighty Allah's beautiful earth in every way possible.
    Now I am not sure if it is some kind of Controlled-Logging by the concerned authorities or if its a case of random deforestation by the locals; the fact remains that it is heart crunching to see it being done this way.

Many thanks brother ED and FA226.

We were told that we should proceed up to the glacier and pass through the whole valley, and that's what we did. Here are few more glimpses of the journey.

Other than some farming fields, we mostly saw cattle upon which the locals are living their livelihood. But it was very strange for me to see that these animals were all malnourished. Despite the humongous availability of green fodder, bones were sticking out of their bodies as if they were walking zombies.

A herd of horses can be seen in the above picture across the river. It was a beautiful sight, indeed.

En-route to the Glacier

The pictures are not doing justice in properly portraying the Off-Roadability of the track. lolz

AND the glacier; it was a 2.5 hour journey up till here from the rest house in Kumrat. The glacier was almost 50 feet high and more than 200 feet long and was blocking the whole road. So that was the end of our journey in the vehicle. The rocks and boulders resting on the glacier can be seen in the pictures.

View of the jungle across the glacier which can only be approached on foot.

My 4x4 is visible in the right lower corner of the above picture

Member Extraordinaire ajmal virk's Avatar
    Beautiful piece of land indeed and nice photography and your 4x4 is good

Thank you Ajmal Bhai.

On our way back from the glacier

We cooked our lunch in this patch of trees. (NOTE: Please make sure to clear the stove area from dead branches and dry leaves and then put out the fire with ample amount of water so that it doesn't accidentally spread out)

Blog Entries
    Beautiful, these photos literally made me drool. Will try my best to visit this place after Ramadan.
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

Sir Denovo87, please do make a plan. You wont regret it at all, trust me.

On our way back from the glacier, we turned towards the water fall which was on the opposite side of the river. Here are some pictures of it.

It is almost 100 feet high and is a spectacle in its own self.

We were told that on our way to the glacier we will be crossing "Toray Obe" (Black Waters). Trust me gentlemen, I could not find anything special about the spot which was termed as Toray Obe. And NO, the water was not black at all. lolz

And this was Toray Obe.

Wow beautiful place . I will try my best to visit this place .
    If you seek peace prepare for war .

Jibz bhi, you are good photographer, writer. kahen "Mustanser hussain tarar sb" ka muqabla karny ka irada to nahien.
    a_rsoud. "Owning a gun doesn't make you a murderer anymore than owning a guitar makes your a guitarist"..

Yes, do make a plan to visit it brother hmd and many thanks for your kind words, a_rsoud dear.

In Thall Bazaar there is an old Masjid. It is almost completely made from wood. Another interesting thing about it is that its pillars are immensely wide. I didnt take a picture from inside but I assure you that seeing it in person is as amazing as it gets.

The Old Style Wood Cutting Machines

This is the PCC road which has been built between Sheringle and Thall Bazaar. Its pretty decent.

This was a very strange bridge. hahahah. It just went up to half the distance of the river and then ended right there. Later I realized that the water course must have changed its direction thats why it looked as if partially completed.

I really want to go there. This is such a beautiful place.

Nice Clicks Jibs bro