Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1000, 800 and 400 yard LONG RANGE & HUNTING U RIFLE MATCHES OCTOBER 2014Gentlemen

Respected Skeeter60 sir, have dates been finalized yet? It will be kind of you to keep us updated on this event as most of us do not have any source for confirmation.

Regards

PakGuns Expert Panel
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    7mm is not the caliber for even 400 yards.
    7mm or 7 X 57,
    Is the grand father of all modern cartridges. The 30-06 is based on it. Same case length increased from 57 to 63 mm and neck dia increased ( inside ) from .284 to 308. Scores of other calibers are based on it.
    If NATO was not there the most popular military caliber could have been the 7x57. A number of armies were experimenting with the 7mm.
    The 7mms long and thin bullets have ideal Ballistic Co-efficients and Sectional densities and these perform much better than 30 caliber bullets when fired at comparative velocities. The .308 Win was more desirable as a military cartridge due to the 6 mm difference in case length resulting in shorter strokes of machine gun moving parts and reduced weight of components. Besides the US army weaned on the 30-06 was perhaps not ready to accept the 7 mm, for some reasons like a small difference in barrel life in favor of the 30 cal.
    There were other compulsions as well which I will discuss later.
    As a SPORTING OR MATCH round the 7mm is far superior at long ranges. It has a flatter trajectory than a .308 win and is deflected much less by wind at comparable velocities, at longer ranges it remains above the transonic and subsonic velocities better than 30 cal bullets of a 308 Win.
    It has better penetration on big game than a .308 at any range.
    Late FM President Ayub Khan reduced taxes on 7 mm rifles and ammo to make it cheaper and easily available to the public.
    The 308 Win is popular due to the military surplus ammo cheaply available and some how people thinking it is more powerful and effective than a 7mm which is not true.
    In the F class shooting the world over at 800 and 1000 yards the 6 mm, 6.5mm and 7mm are more popular than the 30 with some what higher recoil and poorer trajectory and wind deflection abilities.
    The purpose of my writing this is to clear an unfounded thinking.
    The 7 X 57 when fired in any good rifle is superb. It's hunting ammo is cheaper kicks less and more effective at the target end. The 7mm 08 is a great cartridge developed by combining the qualities of the two calibers, a short fat case of the 308 win with the magical 7 mm bullet, a very efficient light recoiling caliber came about.
    The 7mm Rem mag which remains my favorite both for hunting and matches restricted to hunting rifles.
    JU

PakGuns Expert Panel
    I am I the US. Will return next month and by mid September will apprise all.
    JU

@skeeter ,, what about Grandal ?? who would u compare it with 7mm.

@ Skeeter60,

Sir,
    Thank you very much for clearing my misconception!

PakGuns Expert Panel
    Quote Originally Posted by seeker View Post
    SEEKER
    6.5 Grendel is a cartridge developed for bench rest shooting and marksmanship matches as well as varmints. lt was considered for development as a military round based on the M 16. Lots of work was done towards this and 6.8. How ever it was stalled.

Right now no such thing is being done and newer bullets for the 5.56 are being developed with much better terminal ballistics. These are 77 gr and 90 gr bullets with very high BC and SD and one type of bullet has front half core of tungsten powder alloyed with polymer. These are being developed for snipers and spec ops teams as the cost of the tungsten round would be very high. At fairly long ranges the tungsten bullet penetrates a level 3 BP jkt and at shorter ranges even a level 4.
    Last edited by Skeeter60; 27-07-2014 at 07:06 AM. Reason: spellings
    JU

PakGuns Expert Panel
    Quote Originally Posted by seeker View Post
    Oh I left your question Un answered.
    The 7mm is by far superior to the Grendel or any other such like caliber when it comes to hunting medium or the largest game animals. The 7mm has from 120 to 175 gr bullets of hundreds of types.
    JU

Member Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter60 View Post
    7mm or 7 X 57,
    Is the grand father of all modern cartridges. The 30-06 is based on it.
    If NATO was not there the most popular military caliber could have been the 7x57. A number of armies were experimenting with the 7mm.
    The 7mms long and thin bullets have ideal Ballistic Co-efficients and Sectional densities The .308 Win was more desirable as a military cartridge due to the 6 mm difference in case length resulting in shorter strokes of machine gun moving parts and reduced weight of components.
    As a SPORTING OR MATCH round the 7mm is far superior at long ranges.
    It has better penetration on big game than a .308 at any range.
    Late FM President Ayub Khan reduced taxes on 7 mm rifles and ammo to make it cheaper and easily available to the public.
    In the F class shooting the world over at 800 and 1000 yards the 7mm are more popular with some what higher recoil and poorer trajectory and wind deflection abilities.
    The purpose of my writing this is to clear an unfounded thinking.
    The 7 X 57 when fired in any good rifle is superb. It's hunting ammo is cheaper kicks less and more effective at the target end. The 7mm 08 is a great cartridge developed by combining the qualities of the two calibers, a short fat case of the 308 win with the magical 7 mm bullet, a very efficient light recoiling caliber came about.
    Thanks for your very informative post as always "Sir Skeeter".

Sir a humble reminder. Would be grateful if you can update us all on the competition

PakGuns Expert Panel
    8th and 9th November 2014. Burhan Long Ranges from 400, 800 & 1000 yards.
    JU

Oh thank you so much Sir. kindly tell us how to participate. is this event by invite only or any one can attend?

i would love see video of this competition shooting see how it goes down in pk its nice to see people getting into long range stuff

to skeeter sir
    if one is abroad and wants to participate in match is there way to get permit to import firearms or is this just for pk residents only im sure you know where im going with this haha

Supreme Member
    7mm, do you participate competitively in Canada?

The man who fears no truth has nothing to fear from lies.
    (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by Fudgepacker View Post
    7mm, do you participate competitively in Canada?
    hey fudge no i dont never did just got into this long range shooting couple years back i would like to get into tho

Supreme Member
    7mm, if you're interested, check out the Dominion of Canada Rifle Association at dcra.ca
    They organize "F class" events, but the level of competition is pretty high. Regardless, if you want to get into it closer to home, they can help get you started or at least point you in the right direction.

(Thomas Jefferson)

7mm, if you're interested, check out the Dominion of Canada Rifle Association at dcra.ca
    They organize "F class" events, but the level of competition is pretty high. Regardless, if you want to get into it closer to home, they can help get you started or at least point you in the right direction.
    ya you know there is range in winnipeg not too far from me manitobarifle.ca i did call them about range its only for competition or fclass matches i would have to join club which is only $80 bucks a year but i can only shoot .223 or .308cal there you can shoot out 1000yds there thing is i dont have .223 or 308 i am however looking put a nice rig together for 308win probably next year

Supreme Member
    Only 308 and 223... that's a dumb rule! Even my club that only has a 200m range is approved for upto 338 Lap Mag. At least you can do a lot of things with a 308, although I prefer my trusty Marlin 336 for White Tail. What kind of rifle are you using now?

(Thomas Jefferson)

Only 308 and 223... that's a dumb rule! Even my club that only has a 200m range is approved for upto 338 Lap Mag. At least you can do a lot of things with a 308, although I prefer my trusty Marlin 336 for White Tail. What kind of rifle are you using now?
    it is dumb rule there is other ranges that allow big cals but there are limited to 200yds im shooting tikka t3 ss laminate stock 22'' barrel in 30.06 and 7mm mag is custom build in stainless flutted 26''barrel i am looking to put new rifle in 308 by next summer project there is guy here builds these rifle check it out its called pgwdti.com they build rifle for militery im looking to order pgw coyote and put a nice s&bpm2 or nightforce atacr do check out there website let me know what you think

Supreme Member
    Yup, I know PGW. If you ask me, I would rather get a Savage 110BA. IMHO, for the same money as the PGW (around $6k), the Barrett MRAD-Multi Role Adaptive Design, is a much better rifle, with much better design, from a much more reputed brand. I'm not saying the Coyote is not good, I've handled one and its build quality is impeccable, but its still overpriced. What isn't advertised is that they don't make a lot of the components. If a company is just assembling parts, no matter how high end they are, you gotta admit it's different than a "manufacturer" who designs and builds everything from the ground up, and can thus control 100% of the process. My point is, for that money, there are much better choices, you can get an Accuracy International, or even an M99 50BMG for less! Another benefit of the MRAD is its modularity, you're good to go from 308 to 300Win Mag to 338 Lap Mag, and I don't know how long the current wait is to get a Coyote, but you can go down to the store right now and come home with a Barrett or AI.
    Anyways, just my $0.02

Btw, if you don't mind showing off your 7mm, I'd love to see it!
    Last edited by Fudgepacker; 21-09-2014 at 06:01 AM.

(Thomas Jefferson)