Thread: Handgun Hunting

Handgun Hunting

Hi, Longer Barreled .22 pistols offer great advantages for handgun hunters.
    Longer sight radius, almost always adjustable sights, zero recoil, cheap ammo and reasonable reach and power for small game.
    Any of the guys happen to have an interest or experience in handgun hunting. What handgun, game, range etc.
    Please also share views of long range potential of such handguns for target shooting. Regards

I know a person he uses tt to hunt boars on jeep
    He says mostly they go down in first shot but sometimes
    Double tap is all whats needed.
    My uncle hunts boars with .44 magnum single shot and it's dead.
    Communist until you get rich; Feminist until you get married; Atheist until the airplane starts falling.

Wow, boars with .30 bore.
    This is really neat caliber. I have bernardelli .22lr with 8" barrel. Apart from some egret and kites done mostly target shooting with it. Although one time it was used to finish injured and running jackal at about 40 yards.
    I have metal gong 8" in dia and it is used regularly at 50 yards and rarely at 75 yards with open sights. I am good with it at 50 yards but only mediocre at 75 yards.
    What single shot handgun your uncle has. If it is T/C contender, than I might steal it.
    Just kidding. Great gun it is.

I said single shot in context to one shot kill like the
    TT, 44 magnum does not need a follow up shot.
    And janab if people can hunt boars with airgun why
    not the TT, after all it's a poor mans desert eagle.
    Communist until you get rich; Feminist until you get married; Atheist until the airplane starts falling.

A very long time ago while on the driven wild-boar hunt, my friend and his guide were charged by a tusker from maybe 10 feet in sugar-cane field. My friend was stunned and unable to shoot the fury (he was carrying 12 ga double). But his guide kept his cool and fired two shots at boar, maybe to repel its charge. The boar fell and died (already very injured).
    The amazing thing was the penetration of .30 bore slug. The one hit the side of head, and penetrated enough to reach the brain. The second one hit the neck.
    Wonderful what high velocity can do.

Expert Member
    Rao Sb regularly use my Ruger Markii for jackals & wild cats on a day when I am on driving seat & my partner is doing Rifle Shooting. I have used Colt & S&W Model 10-8 in same role. 38 Special hollow points are potent enough for wild boars as I don't use 357 ammo much due to loudness & very large flash.

I am DAMN interested in handgun hunting and polishing my skills. but i dont own a license and dont own a gun so its difficult for me to experience handgun hunting often. but i have hunted crows, a mad dog, rats and a frog with a .22lr hand gun which was sig sauer mosquito.
    the dog took 4 bullets before going down and after 4th bullet my cousin's mosquito got FTE. was heel of a experience!
    A GUN COMES WITH A GREAT RESPONSIBILITY!!!

Only once! and many many years back...Name:  Bernardelli .22.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  62.1 KB

Expert Member
    @Rao, Nice Shot

Quote Originally Posted by B-King View Post
    I am DAMN interested in handgun hunting and polishing my skills. but i dont own a license and dont own a gun so its difficult for me to experience handgun hunting often. but i have hunted crows, a mad dog, rats and a frog with a .22lr hand gun which was sig sauer mosquito.
    the dog took 4 bullets before going down and after 4th bullet my cousin's mosquito got FTE. was heel of a experience!
    oh brother, mad dog and pistol gets an FTE deadly combo
    god save all of us from any such situation