Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: CQ-a norinco 5.56 m4 (semiauto)

Review: CQ-a norinco 5.56 m4 (semiauto)

Birth of the m4

1975, vietnam war came to a halt after 480k US and 11,80k Vietnamese casualties.

Left behind,loads of m16's used by the US army.
    A US soldier using the ak47 was not an uncommon sight and same is the case is the on going afghan war. Modernized ak47's are often the primary weapon of a a few US marines.

The Chinese saw the m16 and got to what they were best at, DUPLICATING it. And they did it well. Some Vietnamese war era m16/ar can still be seen in Pakistan.

Pakistan has always loved the AK platform and it comes natural to a paki to have the affection for an AK47.
    So when the chinese m16's landed in pak, not much love was given.

Then came the afghan war while the new generation driven by video games and movie's were already craving modern firearms. Pakistani firearm enthusiast was one of the few who actually enjoyed the war as the worlds most expencieve gear and latest firearms found their way into pakistan.

Hence came the M4 carbine and its varints. Fast forwarding the history lesson, economics into play. High demand led to sky rocketed prices of M4/m16's. Someone saw an opportunity and cashed in as m16's converted to m4's were running out.

The most interesting part here is the conspiracy that surrounded this cq-a.
    Made in lahore had the top spot among-st all. Local lower on chinese upper was my favorite. It was quite shocking when it came from well known firearm lover's. It was rerunning them out of business as few importers had the cq-a at monopoly price's and people no longer wanted their converted one's.

So i decided to get one at 270k from lahore as advised by very senior members. I went around in circles as FAKHRE ALAM said "270 mai dunga magar 1 haftay baad maal aeyga". That 1 week never passed for the next 6 months. 290 was the actual serious price i got from peshawer.

Anyways, i saved myself a trip to pew and bought mine from guns and accessories khi as he was they only person who had it At the time.

COMING TO THE ACTUAL REVIEW:

The rifle is the exact clone of the colt m4 but semi auto only. Gas operated, same looks. Has a removable carry handle with rails under. Retractable stock with descent finish & handguard with heat shield inside.
    Name:  th.jpg
Views: 27586
Size:  9.2 KB

Impression/Finishing:

It looks no less then than a colt from far but in hand its a different story.
    Finishing is the first thing i didnt like. Its powder coated or parkerized if that's the right term. Not at all resistant to rough use. Especially the barrel. It gets scratches very easily. But men and rifle's look better with scars so not a big issue. What more do you want for the half the price.
    Name:  image (21).jpg
Views: 25267
Size:  44.6 KB

The grip has a very cheap plasticy feel to it with some sharp edges. The trigger guard in particular gave me a tough time. The edges are sharp and i felt the blisters after the end of 200 round practical shooting session. A magpul replacement fixed that.
    notice how the upper and lower are not aligned. This is standard in all the pieces ive seen.
    Name:  image (1).jpg
Views: 15229
Size:  35.7 KB

The bolt has a very rough finish and when compared to a colt's bolt, one can easily take it for a local made. It performs well enough though. Eats everything well.
    The internals are all good, well made. Good enough.

Name:  image (12).jpg
Views: 17125
Size:  38.4 KB
    Name:  image (16).jpg
Views: 15230
Size:  47.1 KB
    Name:  image (14).jpg
Views: 14840
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  image (19).jpg
Views: 14770
Size:  32.3 KB
    Name:  image (4).jpeg
Views: 14757
Size:  70.0 KB
    Name:  image (11).jpeg
Views: 14591
Size:  91.6 KB

One part where it lacks like all other chinese weapons is the weight. Like the chinese Ak's are heavier then Russians, bulgarians etc, this is heavier than the American ar15's. I compared the weight with a S&W M&P AR15 and it feels slightly heavier. Again, nothing that makes a difference.

It will take almost all ar15 accessories made, Might need a few adjustments for the rails or the handguard but with some magpul furniture, it no less then a 10 lac AR.

Performance:
    First time it went to the range, it indeed impressed the crowd and i myself was amused with the performance. The rate of fire is as fast as your finger. Trigger is good, not too much travel but will get a polish later.
    Shot 200 chinese rounds. Got an Ftf in the 2nd mag. Cleared it quickly and it went on smooth from there. Later found a loose primer in the chamber so it was an ammo related issue.

I will not post or discuss accuracy as this is not a match grade rifle. Its an assault rifle. But i can shoot a moving pepsi can at 50 meters and not miss once. But that was the aimpoint, not me.
    The ambidextrous safety and mag release is another plus.

Please DONT put holes in this to make it auto or any other mod for that matter. You will ruin your firearm for something that has no actual use. Im only mentioning this to inform other's. No PB discussion intended.

Value for money
    Definitely ! You will not regret this. Give this a try and save a few 100k.
    If you have access to original accessories, this rifle can really look good.

Why this then any other AR ?
    Its good as any other.
    You can be the judge of that after seeing the pic with the upgrades.
    This got a MAGPUL MOE handguard with TAPCO rails' , magpul moe angles grip and/or handstop kit, spec ops patrol sling, aimpoint comp4, angled backup sights and a very nice NOVATAC weapon light.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Muhammad m; 19-05-2014 at 03:48 AM.

many congrats for your cq.a. well comprehensive review bro including all aspects. I am much accuracy type guy not one of my type but it really looks good in pictures. regards
    If You think you are too small too be Effective...
    You have never been in bed with a MOSQUITO.

Member Emeritus
    Very good review and great pictures.. thanks for the share and happy shooting.

Great review. Definitely a catalyst for potential buyers.

Member Extraordinaire ajmal virk's Avatar
    Really nice review Muhammad M brother.Thanks for sharing.

MuhammadM Bro:
    Thanks for this beautiful introduction of CQ M4

Very nice review and congrats on your purchase brother. What is your basic purpose of this acquisition besides scaring the sh*t out of BGs? and what is the effective range of this machine?

nice review. congrats!

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    If you can do a moving pepsi can at 50 yards then its plenty accurate.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Blog Entries
    Very trivial reading there, very nice manner of introduction and encompassing all that's of essence to know about.

Great, short and adequate review Muhammad bro, and congrats on the new hardware at home.

I'm of the opinion that they could still reduce the price to 250K's and still earn a handsome enough bounty on this weapon. But then..............they're not our uncles!

I agree, with the right modifications and accessorizations, it can turn into a beautiful weapon.

But...........bro........a flying pepsi at 50 yards! I believe that's the job of a good shooter with an open view Eutech and not the Aimpoint, so hats off to you indeed, lol!

Regards.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Not flying but moving
    i shoot it, it flies and the moment it lands, i shoot it again

250 is a long shot i think, there is no price control factor so i dont see that happening anytime soon.

Range should be 3-400 meter i think... But whats the point. It wont be dead accurate at that distance. A bull barrel might be.

Member Extraordinaire
    Very nice and informative review .

Excellent review. Very few AR platform lovers here as compared to the "The God Father" of all assault rifles PB one.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad m View Post
    Not flying but moving
    i shoot it, it flies and the moment it lands, i shoot it again

250 is a long shot i think, there is no price control factor so i dont see that happening anytime soon.

Range should be 3-400 meter i think... But whats the point. It wont be dead accurate at that distance. A bull barrel might be.
    Ah! I see you are inspired by Gabbar Singh's Immortal "Naach Basanti Naaaaaach"

BTW what do u use for a case? A plano hardcase or the Saddler's soft ones?
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Desires View Post
    Ah! I see you are inspired by Gabbar Singh's Immortal "Naach Basanti Naaaaaach"

BTW what do u use for a case? A plano hardcase or the Saddler's soft ones?
    he carries it Mexican... fits well under that shalwar qameez too!
    Paranoia saves lives...

Quote Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
    he carries it Mexican... fits well under that shalwar qameez too!
    Ah!.. Which means he has a soft case. Just as well.. A hardcase there would have created probems.

Beautiful Rifle and good review too.
    Whats the price of this beauty???
    Congrats........
    "Guns are smart enough. We need smarter politicians"
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free!!!"

Blog Entries
    Nice n objective review; thanks MM bro for your effort and time.
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

Congrats for your CQA.A very informative review.
    “If frogs had side pockets, they'd carry hand guns.”
    Dan Rather

I dont have a case yet :S
    yar fazool mai kharcha krwao gay....

ashes bhai ill get a GHILAAF for it soon