Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting the Most Out of Your Baikal O/U Shotgun - Part 4

Getting the Most Out of Your Baikal O/U Shotgun - Part 4

AoA Everybody

A good grip is often ignored when it comes to getting a shotgun fitted. Most don't understand that it plays a vital role by offering speedier and authoritative mount (and swing).

On top of all that a good grip also offers comfort during prolonged shooting sessions. This part is so important that quiet frankly I am at a loss of words. lets just say, it boosts the overall confidence of the shooter on his/her firearm. PERIOD!

Anyways, the grip of this particular shotgun was too angled and a strong hold necessitated that stretch my wrist to an uncomfortable degree.

Before we continue, a Disclaimer as Usual:

The following content is for informational purposes only. The author assumes no responsibility and/or any liability in case of an injury, accident, loss of life and/or property that may and/or may not occur as a direct and/or indirect result of exercising the information provided below. The reader assumes full responsibility and liability of the foreseen and/or unforeseen consequences that may or may not occur therefore he/she is advised to proceed with full caution. In other words, if you screw this up, don't blame it on me.

The buttstock was all taped up to keep it safe from unnecessary destruction

A seasoned piece (Rosewood) of desired thickness was cut using a band saw.

Channels were cut inside it to ensure a snug fit.

these channels will ensure near perfect mating surfaces of the piece and the buttstock.

the sharp corners were filed off. the piece was given a more ergonomic profile.

The piece was then attached to the buttstock using epoxy. two part epoxy was mixed with wood shavings then applied to the buttstock and the grip extension. it was given 24 hours to cure.

After that, using progressive grades of sandpaper and quiet a lot of elbow grease, the whole setup was given a smooth finish.

and The Moment of Truth:

Instead of finishing it with oil, I decided to test the whole setup at range first and used ordinary vinyl wrapping tape to temporarily hide whats underneath.

it sure looks beautiful. this is only temporary cause I do plan to finish it on more traditional lines.

Initial Experience:

I first round of skeet was very disappointing as I was unable to control the mount and instead smacked my jaw a couple of times. I was literally heart broken as I had done something to my shotgun which could prove very difficult to undo if this whole idea goes down the drain.

Then in utter frustration, I called Denovo87 bhai , he told me to calm down and take it slow. Just practice and forget about the results.

Then I kicked-off the second of Skeet, deliberately slowed down my mount and then it turned into a super duper round. I was mounting, swinging and breaking targets with a level of authority that I have never experienced before.

what was going on: well... the (now) straight grip was resulting in a very minimal movement in my wrist during mount. that in turn made the mounting process speedier than before to which I was not used to . The moment denovo bhai made me realize that I began smoking clays like it was a piece of cake.

End Result:

I am as happy as a clam and never going back. to be honest, I am already thinking about taking this idea up a notch (or two).

Regards.

For a custom molded grip just to following post:

Custom Molded Grip
    Last edited by 12GAUGE; 13-05-2014 at 11:28 PM.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Blog Entries
    Its been a week or so I waited n waited to see how it looked; at last I am able to see it thats one great improvement 12G bro, beside the enhanced performance gun looks prettier then ever. Keep it up bro; whats next by the way ?
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

Janab an excellent job, you truly are a shotgun expert.
    Please it is my request to take some time off your busy schedule and enlighten us on
    How to improve budget semi autos any tweaks, optimizations we could do to
    Smoothen out the action? Things like that will really be help full as there are many threads on customizing o/u but none for semi autos.
    Regards
    Communist until you get rich; Feminist until you get married; Atheist until the airplane starts falling.

Quote Originally Posted by Denovo87 View Post
    Its been a week or so I waited n waited to see how it looked; at last I am able to see it thats one great improvement 12G bro, beside the enhanced performance gun looks prettier then ever. Keep it up bro; whats next by the way ?
    Bro, I am thinking filing some finger groves and a thumb stopper in the new grip. cause to be honest, the increased real-estate have a tendency make your grip inconsistent. finger groves and thumb stopper will ensure that my grip remains consistent shot after shot.

Quote Originally Posted by shahroze View Post
    Janab an excellent job, you truly are a shotgun expert.
    Please it is my request to take some time off your busy schedule and enlighten us on
    How to improve budget semi autos any tweaks, optimizations we could do to
    Smoothen out the action? Things like that will really be help full as there are many threads on customizing o/u but none for semi autos.
    Regards
    sure buddy.

Regards.

Enthusiast
    Superb work 12G bro. Killer looks. If this has improved your comfort level too, then it's juz great work.
    "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog" -Mark Twain

Another wonderful job done by Waday Ustad Jee!

Member Extraordinaire
    Bro have to shoot personally before i give any opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Zakir View Post
    Bro have to shoot personally before i give any opinion
    you are most welcome Dr. Sahib. its been a while we've met. how about we set up a range/meet someday?

Regards.

Wonderful job done so far 12Guage bro, I really admire your creativity and contribution for this forum.

AoA all,

MashAllah,excellent modifications done to an ordinary stock.Please
    review the following and try to get closer to this and you will be in the FINALS of
    next National Skeet event.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The gun looks very cool 12Guage bro. Awesome job.....
    "Guns are smart enough. We need smarter politicians"
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mian-50 View Post
    AoA all,

MashAllah,excellent modifications done to an ordinary stock.Please
    review the following and try to get closer to this and you will be in the FINALS of
    next National Skeet event.
    That is exactly what I am thinking sir. now how shall I go about it. hmm.... This would require a little collective brainstorming.

Regards.

awesome bro ALLAH know what you want to make that gun
    Always Believe in GOD............. Because......... There are some Questions in Grave That can not be Answerd by GOOGLE.

AoA bro 12-Gauge,

My humble suggestions are being highlighted in rough pencil
    work. If it's not a big hassle, try to DISLODGE the whole piece and make a second
    one with built-in:

1. Anti slip knob.
    2. More CURVED or DEEP BELLY. (You may try to modify the existing one also).

Try few shots after doing this and be extra careful about finding the right spot
    for PALM SWELL at the end. In my view, you will not be requiring to create a TOP
    THUMB STOPPER any more.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Indigenous as usual.

The gun looks great now and the work done obviously has served it's purpose brilliantly.

2 thumbs up on a great, inspiring share.

Splendidly carried out.

Regards.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Quote Originally Posted by Mian-50 View Post
    AoA bro 12-Gauge,

My humble suggestions are being highlighted in rough pencil
    work. If it's not a big hassle, try to DISLODGE the whole piece and make a second
    one with built-in:

1. Anti slip knob.
    2. More CURVED or DEEP BELLY. (You may try to modify the existing one also).

Try few shots after doing this and be extra careful about finding the right spot
    for PALM SWELL at the end. In my view, you will not be requiring to create a TOP
    THUMB STOPPER any more.
    These are all great ideas sir. I think I will give them a try. the anti slip know and similarly giving the whole grip setup a deep belly should not be hard. I can add a layer of epoxy then grind it into a desired shape.

I have looked almost everywhere but I am still unable to visualize the shape of a palm swell. my best best would be to use silly putty to first try to understand what it looks like. I can then always cast that same thing in epoxy.

Regards.

Excellent work 12G, nothing unusual from your side. You are a naturally talented man, and great as person n friend. Allah bless you.
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun.

Member Emeritus
    Excellent work done there 12GAUGE bro.. you are a true 12 Gauge guru no doubt.

Excellent work 12Guage bro, gun looks sexier then ever, great work.
    A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work

Member Extraordinaire ajmal virk's Avatar
    Excellent work brother this is the result of passion and love for guns you have.