Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: why revolvers?

Quote Originally Posted by D3AD! View Post
    no they are not,they are just ugly looking stupid machiens
    Lets agree to disagree, beauty is a relative term...
    Before you embark on a journey of Revenge, dig two graves - Confucius (504 BC)
    102nd Chairborne Rangers, Special Forums Operator Delta, The Keyboard Commandos

why 'volvers you say?

1.) more powerful round.

2.) MACHO

3.) loading ammo bullet by bullet adds quite the dramatic flair

4.) they can have lighter triggers then pistols, as the cycling can be done manually. SA 'volvers , have a lighter trigger then SA autopistols ( i feel like im from the 70's just saying that )

5.) More rugged and reliable, straightforward design. And their trigger can be heavier too if so required.

6.) can eat though donkey-crap quality army surplus corrosive ammo and still come out alive on the other side. ( That cannot be said by many autopistols)

7.) The nature of the design allows for much longer cartridges, once again , allowing for more power behind the slug.

8.) Jams are easier to clear out. ( Thinking of sig p226 stovepipes )

9.) in case we need to rebel against somebody or something, 'volvers are easier ( and hence cheaper ) to produce. You can make a rather good one with just a CNC mill and some experimentation. A pistol on the other hand needs some serious equipment, and knowledge to put together.

10.) no mags required. If lets say there is weapon and acc import ban. Your precious 92fs mag gets stepped on,and is bent ( this does not apply to poly mags, you can run em over with a truck and they will live. What are you gonna do? load a round in the chamber every time? makes for a somewhat unrealistic replication of using a flintlock. With a 'volver, as long as you have the rounds, you have the......Beef?

11.) ( this is far by the most important one to me ) 'volvers, they are history man. They have lived through and been there for us during the partiton, WWI, WWII ( Mauser Hsc i believe ) , the days of the american wild west , characterized by the colt peacemaker, Dirty harry and his .44 magnum . They let us reminiscence back to the 'ol days.

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D3AD! View Post
    no they are not,they are just ugly looking stupid machiens
    Huh!! U really dont know much bout wheel guns do U??

http://www.pakguns.com/showthread.ph...lver-Vs-Pistol
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by czman View Post
    why 'volvers you say?

1.) more powerful round.

2.) MACHO

3.) loading ammo bullet by bullet adds quite the dramatic flair

4.) they can have lighter triggers then pistols, as the cycling can be done manually. SA 'volvers , have a lighter trigger then SA autopistols ( i feel like im from the 70's just saying that )

5.) More rugged and reliable, straightforward design. And their trigger can be heavier too if so required.

6.) can eat though donkey-crap quality army surplus corrosive ammo and still come out alive on the other side. ( That cannot be said by many autopistols)

7.) The nature of the design allows for much longer cartridges, once again , allowing for more power behind the slug.

8.) Jams are easier to clear out. ( Thinking of sig p226 stovepipes )

9.) in case we need to rebel against somebody or something, 'volvers are easier ( and hence cheaper ) to produce. You can make a rather good one with just a CNC mill and some experimentation. A pistol on the other hand needs some serious equipment, and knowledge to put together.

10.) no mags required. If lets say there is weapon and acc import ban. Your precious 92fs mag gets stepped on,and is bent ( this does not apply to poly mags, you can run em over with a truck and they will live. What are you gonna do? load a round in the chamber every time? makes for a somewhat unrealistic replication of using a flintlock. With a 'volver, as long as you have the rounds, you have the......Beef?

11.) ( this is far by the most important one to me ) 'volvers, they are history man. They have lived through and been there for us during the partiton, WWI, WWII ( Mauser Hsc i believe ) , the days of the american wild west , characterized by the colt peacemaker, Dirty harry and his .44 magnum . They let us reminiscence back to the 'ol days.
    Sounds like you are just looking to win the argument by hook or by crook!

a lot of hypothetical situations in your debate above, like a magazine being ruined and no more to be found or rebels trying to make their own weapons... hahaha

I just speak from experience that God forbid, should a situation arise, the last thing on my mind would be how Macho my gun looks or the dramatic flair of loading it

I am indifferent to this debate, coz I have both and they both have their own charm, however I do prefer to carry a much more comfortable 9mm compact or subcompact over a fat cylinder wali 'volver. as u say

A well maintained and tuned semi is as much reliable as a volver... (to be very honest, My S&W wheelie gave me nothing but malfunctions on the first 3 range visits! took some serious gun-smithing to fix her, so it's not a given that all wheelies are inherently reliable
    Paranoia saves lives...

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Desires View Post

thanks for the link, good to read

Quote Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
    Sounds like you are just looking to win the argument by hook or by crook!

a lot of hypothetical situations in your debate above, like a magazine being ruined and no more to be found or rebels trying to make their own weapons... hahaha

I just speak from experience that God forbid, should a situation arise, the last thing on my mind would be how Macho my gun looks or the dramatic flair of loading it

I am indifferent to this debate, coz I have both and they both have their own charm, however I do prefer to carry a much more comfortable 9mm compact or subcompact over a fat cylinder wali 'volver. as u say

A well maintained and tuned semi is as much reliable as a volver... (to be very honest, My S&W wheelie gave me nothing but malfunctions on the first 3 range visits! took some serious gun-smithing to fix her, so it's not a given that all wheelies are inherently reliable
    Well, after shooting my first wheelie i rescind my bias towards at. As awesome as it is, i dont enjoy the idea of having all the hair on my right hand singed off from the backblast of heat from shooting only about 40 rounds of .357.

Not to mention the two thumbs on one side grip the guy was teaching me felt very ...unnatural. After using plastic replica BB guns of semi pistols and shooting airguns all my life he had to remind me every three seconds to keep my thumb off the cylinder for fear of losing it.

But the lack of needing a mag is still pretty useful

Expert Member
    They are simply elegant
    Attached Images Attached Images  

@Ahmad, That's one fine beauty you got there.
    @CZMAN, I don't know how you held the revolver but how ever did was not the right stance or you exaggerated a bit.
    Shooting revolvers is very fun. You need to hold and fire real guns more, you will learn by experience.
    Communist until you get rich; Feminist until you get married; Atheist until the airplane starts falling.

Rookie
    Regarding firearms failures. Pistols and revolvers are mechanical pieces and all mechanical pieces are prone to breakage. Generally the revolver has fewer pieces to break, so should be "more reliable".

Why I like revolver? I think it has to do with recoil. The revolver pushes back, the pistol pushes back and then forward. Seems unnatural to me. But then when I grew up, revolvers were common, pistols, not much.

Talking

well if it were up to me
    i wouldnt argue about pistols vs revolvers as clearly they both have their prerequisites and have been the greatest argument there is in the history of handguns.for me in the end it comes done to whatever works for u is what you should carry.no two persons are the same.
    i personally use cz-duty for my EDC..couldnt go wrong with it
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by shahroze View Post
    @Ahmad, That's one fine beauty you got there.
    @CZMAN, I don't know how you held the revolver but how ever did was not the right stance or you exaggerated a bit.
    Shooting revolvers is very fun. You need to hold and fire real guns more, you will learn by experience.
    The firearm instructor was teaching me a grip that resulted in that. , but both thumbs on top of each other and was a high grip.( the part of flesh in between my thumb and index finger, in other words the flesh around the joint was rippled. )

but the heat blast was quite a turn-off for me.

maybe a shooting glove is needed?

I do hate the fact that revolvers are front heavy weapons. Sure, it helps with recoil a bit but i did not like that too much. Pistol center of gravity
    is more right above the hand, it feels more...controllable.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Desires View Post

Agree with just about every point u make in that post - revolvers are the original - here are a few that have been passed down from my late grandfather (may Allah give him Janaat) - these were the first firearms i ever got a chance to 'play with' and fire - i now carry my glock19 as my EDC but these have a special place in my heart… big one is .44 old pak police issue, middle is .38 webley and bottom is .32 spanish rose which my grandad used to keep tucked away in his kameez as his EDC!

Name:  10334413_10152067272507286_8811751459902696540_n.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  51.6 KB
    'coulda', 'shoulda', 'woulda' is no gooda!

what ever the case may b now these toys are obselete no or very selective forces use these they simply are old school. pistols give you much more to do and add on
    Truth lies in the art of deception.

Supreme Member
    I like both, however one hypothetcal but potentially deadly disadvantage of using a revolver for personal defense is: should your assailant grab on to your gun, thus preventing the cylinder from advancing, your gun is instantly disabled (and it takes very little force to hold a cylinder back). A pistol in the same situation can at least still fire the round that's chambered.
    Anyways, just something to fuel the debate... Carry on

The man who fears no truth has nothing to fear from lies.
    (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by Fudgepacker View Post
    I like both, however one hypothetcal but potentially deadly disadvantage of using a revolver for personal defense is: should your assailant grab on to your gun, thus preventing the cylinder from advancing, your gun is instantly disabled (and it takes very little force to hold a cylinder back). A pistol in the same situation can at least still fire the round that's chambered.
    Anyways, just something to fuel the debate... Carry on
    LOL! true! but if the guys that close ur probably better off pistol whipping him with it! (or should we say revolver whipping??)
    'coulda', 'shoulda', 'woulda' is no gooda!

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    i have both.. And alternate b/w em as my EDC. Depending on my mood.

But to be honest for every one 2 times I EDC my 9mm I do the same for my revolver.. remaining 8 times.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Revolvers have their own place.Due to high prices and a wider variety of pistols available in the market,people here usually go for a semi auto pistol.
    If frogs had side pockets, they'd carry hand guns.
    Dan Rather

Aoa
    first i m a newbie and not commenting to add up to knowlege of any one here. Its just how i feel about revolvers. There are three reasons for revolvers:-
    1. Load the wheel. Place gun in drawer and forget about it. Ten years from then on, some one broke into ur house (Godforbid). U take it out from drawer, pull the trigger and there are 99% chances it WILL fire. U cant say that about a semi no matter how high end it may be.
    2. U want a simple gun that could be operated by inexperienced shooter.
    3. Collectibility. Revolvers are sexy as hell.
    peace.