Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why revolvers?

why revolvers?

Nowadays automatics are by far the most popular type of handgun, and some people wonder why revolvers remained so popular for so long, or why anyone still bothers to make new ones.

First... revolvers came first. They predate the metallic cartridge, which is essential for an autoloading pistol. Instead of a one-piece barrel, the back of the barrel was cut off, and five to seven blind sections mounted close to it on an axle. Each blind section was loaded, then turned into alignment with the barrel and fired. Much lighter and less bulky than the earlier "pepperbox" arrangement of independently charged barrels.

In fact, revolvers predate the priming cap; there were some flintlock and even matchlock revolving rifles made. But the priming cap made the revolver a production item; just put a cap on each nipple, pour black powder into each chamber, and seat lead balls on top. A pair of revolving pistols gave any man the firepower of a squad with the old weapons.

When the metallic cartridge was invented, it was immediately applied to the revolver, which not only gave the revolver overwhelming firepower, but allowed virtually "instant" (by the standards of the day) reloading, increasing individual firepower yet again.

The metallic cartridge's convenient packaging of powder, primer, and ball in one waterproof assembly started people thinking about autoloading pistols, and some were made... but none of them went anywhere, because the power of black powder ammunition varied dramatically from brand to brand, or even batch to batch. Making consistent black powder is still an art even today. Automatics demand ammunition that is neither too weak nor too strong; it wasn't until smokeless powder came out that automatics became practical.

As to why new revolvers are still made... some people find them easier to conceal. Revolvers are utterly indifferent to the quality of ammunition you use in them... even if it fails to fire, you just cock it and pull the trigger again on the next cartridge. And if you want power... a .357 or .44 snubnose puts a lot of power in a small package. And if you want MORE power, like .454 Casull, .460 S&W, .475 Linebaugh, or .500 S&W - a revolver is the only way to go. Automatics stop at the .50 Action Express, and that only in the Desert Eagle now. If you were so inclined, you could cut down the barrel and grip of a .500 S&W and drop it in a pocket.

And besides... some of us just like revolvers!

Member Extraordinaire
    I love revolvers but problem is here nothing is available except taurus

i still love autoloading pistols.....Dont know why i dont like revolvers personally....

Member Extraordinaire
    They r fun to shoot at range

Not my cup of tea .
    If you seek peace prepare for war .

There's nothing like a .38 snubby for CC but the main problem I have with them is the trigger pull and recoil...
    If God didn't want us to have GUNS, He wouldn't have given us GUN fingers...

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Why revolvers..

hmmm

This is why.. Aint no way an auto loader can beat a wheelie

http://www.pakguns.com/showthread.ph...lver-Vs-Pistol
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

ED, I hadn't even noticed your thread... you came up with many points I missed!

Revolvers are still more reliable then Semi-autos. Specially in .22lr caliber. They're more accurate then semi-autos because of their fixed barrel design. And then there are some calibers that you came only enjoy shooting in revolvers i.e 357 mag, 44mag etc.
    "Guns are smart enough. We need smarter politicians"
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free!!!"

Yes ED explained it pretty well and his thread inspired me to get one too but unfortunately I am still on the hunt for it... You simply cant beat the ease of EDC(everyday carry and not enigmatic desire's carry ) with a revolver and i agree with trigger happy bro.

Oh I forgot to add.. Wheelies are cheap. A german wheel gun may go for as low as 15k in really good condition. The same in a pistol configuration will make U add a "Zero" when U try and buy.

And lastly the "real" reason why I prefer wheel guns over revolvers. I am not afraid of the revolver going "Caracal" on me.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

revolvers r sexy
    Before you embark on a journey of Revenge, dig two graves - Confucius (504 BC)
    102nd Chairborne Rangers, Special Forums Operator Delta, The Keyboard Commandos

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Desires View Post
    ED, I am going to put my original message up on my web site. Could I get your permission to add your excellent post to it? With full attribution and a link back to PakGuns, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    ED, I am going to put my original message up on my web site. Could I get your permission to add your excellent post to it? With full attribution and a link back to PakGuns, of course.
    I am flattered.. (Honoured too)

I had added some points in later posts in the same thread. U may collate them in one post.

I appreciate your efforts at the promotion of revolvers.

Yesterday night I tried loading unloading my 9mm pistol. The Round got stuck midway between the feed ramp and the chamber. I guess the mag was not seated properly.

I pushed the mag upwards with my pinkie finger while racking the slide. The issue was solved. But it took me a swollen finger due to repeated chambering before I was able to figure out what was wrong.

Yet another reason why I use my revolver as a carry weapon.

I am flattered.. (Honoured too)

I had added some points in later posts in the same thread. U may collate them in one post.

I appreciate your efforts at the promotion of revolvers.

Yesterday night I tried loading unloading my 9mm pistol. The Round got stuck midway between the feed ramp and the chamber. I guess the mag was not seated properly.

I pushed the mag upwards with my pinkie finger while racking the slide. The issue was solved. But it took me a swollen finger due to repeated chambering before I was able to figure out what was wrong.

Yet another reason why I use my revolver as a carry weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    Woooooow Ed bro u really succeded in promoting Revolvers Bravo!!!
    Mung Yu The Khyber Zalmi Pukhto Zamunga Shaan Dai.
    Munga Pukhtana Yu. Pa Watan Zaan Qurban Dai.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
    Woooooow Ed bro u really succeded in promoting Revolvers Bravo!!!
    sooo.. when are u ditching that cumbersome NP 22 and getting a nice wheel gun instead.

sooo.. when are u ditching that cumbersome NP 22 and getting a nice wheel gun instead.
    Never ever will i ditch a 9mm for wheel gun ED bro. Me and my love for 9mm is eternal.
    Till death do us part (9mm)

Supreme Member
    Never ever will i ditch a 9mm for wheel gun ED bro. Me and my love for 9mm is eternal.
    Till death do us part (9mm)
    What do you like so much about 9mm?

The man who fears no truth has nothing to fear from lies.
    (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by Fudgepacker View Post
    What do you like so much about 9mm?
    Thats a good question Fudgepacker bro. The answer is ...

1) Magazine capacity.
    2) Affodable ammo.
    3) Lethal looks
    4) Enormous selections of Handguns (Market avalability) to choose from.
    5) Variety of ammo.

Thats a good question Fudgepacker bro. The answer is ...

1) Magazine capacity.
    2) Affodable ammo.
    3) Lethal looks
    4) Enormous selections of Handguns (Market avalability) to choose from.
    5) Variety of ammo.

To be politically correct I also own (and sometimes) carry a 9mm.

But lethel looks and ammo capacity take a back seat in an SD situation. Then hte only hting that counts is Reliability (and more reliability)

Remember U had a couple of dud rounds in our last range session.. ANd U had to manualy chamber fresh ones. In an SD situation U can go "Time out". Wiht a wheelie U would have simply kept on shooting dud round be damned!