Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New edition... Enfield No.2 MK I** .38 cal

yes russian
    Quote Originally Posted by Salman_hunter View Post
    makarov russian?

I have this revolver, I also think y did they chopped off its hammer tail.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bkhan View Post
    I have this revolver, I also think y did they chopped off its hammer tail.
    which yr of manufacture do u have?

Enthusiast
    AOA brother...
    well, i hv taken this info from various enfield forums...and all have the same explanation.....let me paste the exact wordings..
    "There are three main versions of the Enfield No.2 Mk I revolver. The first is the original No.2 Mk I that was first adopted on June 2, 1932. The second version is the Mk I*. The MK I* had a spurless hammer and Enfield removed the single action notch from the hammer which made this version strictly double action only. The third version is the Mk I**, which was a variant of the Mk I*. This was a simplified version for wartime production and adopted on July 29 1942. This version eliminated the hammer safety stop. While the elimination of this feature made the revolver appreciably easier to produce, it proved an altogether false economy since it gave the revolver an alarming tendency to accidentally discharge if it was dropped. This version was discontinued and recalled and later converted back to the MK I* configuration in the post war years"
    "The vast majority of the Enfield No.2 Mk I revolvers were modified to the Mk I* configuration during WWII. This generally happened as they came in for repair or general maintenance. The official explanation of the change to the Mk I* version was that the British Tank Corps had complained that the spur on the hammer was catching on protrusions inside tanks, but most historians nowadays believe that the real reason was that the Mk I* version was cheaper and faster to manufacture"

this is extract from one of the forum...many international are one the same grid mentioning it as "tankers model"

i hope this may clr ur queries...
    regards
    Well I too have same model with me and I 've seen its pamphlet also which proves it to be a " weapon specially designed for tank crew." If you see a tank you ll find an upper hole on the top of tank for entrance and exit of crew that is called cupola. In fact the brim of cupola was the actual problem for a soldier while exiting through cupola as this spur of hammer used to get stuck,entangled or struck there. Most of the time it was hindering the smooth exit therefore it was decided to alter the design this way even at the cost of cocking.It is probably the last revolver used by any army and thereafter use of revolver was made obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Hunter View Post
    Well I too have same model with me and I 've seen its pamphlet also which proves it to be a " weapon specially designed for tank crew." If you see a tank you ll find an upper .................. was made obsolete.
    kindly give reference to your research for information regarding tank crews of any particular origin, country, model in particular . These revolvers with canvas holsters as part of web equipment were worn by the soldiers on the waist belt with a line yard which were mostly lose enough to rattle , now while entering or exit through copula whole revolver could be an issue due to lose configuration , a tiny spur has little role to hinder the movement once other battle uniform items are also kept in mind.

Enthusiast
    Well I too have same model with me and I 've seen its pamphlet also which proves it to be a " weapon specially designed for tank crew."
    aoa
    which pamphlet do u have? its original manual?
    from where you got this revolver?

do have details of the marking on it?
    mine was during war production with DI** (its not actualy D, its EFD super imposed)

thnx

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Haider Shah View Post
    kindly give reference to your research for information regarding tank crews of any particular origin, country, model in particular . These revolvers with canvas holsters as part of web equipment were worn by the soldiers on the waist belt with a line yard which were mostly lose enough to rattle , now while entering or exit through copula whole revolver could be an issue due to lose configuration , a tiny spur has little role to hinder the movement once other battle uniform items are also kept in mind.
    well, if u search the British forums, they havnt specified particular country but all are on the same grid...
    but still, m digging some more info abt this...hoping we reach some concl..

regards

Enthusiast
    aoa
    which pamphlet do u have? its original manual?
    from where you got this revolver?

do have details of the marking on it?
    mine was during war production with DI** (its not actualy D, its EFD super imposed)

thnx
    Brother this revolver was given to defence officers on their retirement as a souvenir on completion of their service,so I could get one without any manual/pamphlet but I have seen and read it's manual in some old stock of books related to such weapons.
    Marking details I ll mention in my next post.

Enthusiast
    Brother this revolver was given to defence officers on their retirement as a souvenir on completion of their service,so I could get one without any manual/pamphlet but I have seen and read it's manual in some old stock of books related to such weapons.
    Marking details I ll mention in my next post.
    the one in ur possession is also chopped hammer?
    if so, m surprised the were imported to subcontinent as well!! and inducted in def...

Enthusiast
    the one in ur possession is also chopped hammer?
    if so, m surprised the were imported to subcontinent as well!! and inducted in def...
    Yes its a chopped hammer with serial A followed by 4 digits weapon number apart from having UE 57 marking too.
    It was not in fact imported but the war assets which made part of our Army after the partition made the reason for this revolver to become a side arm of officers and the soldiers.
    Infantry and armour units of British Army of sub continent took part in 2nd World War mainly on Burma fronts used British weapons and equipment which later devided between both Indian and Pakistan army remained in use for decades so this revolver can be found in store.
    However must visit this link also : http://www.reocities.com/wellesley/4849/webley.html

Enthusiast
    Yes its a chopped hammer with serial A followed by 4 digits weapon number apart from having UE 57 marking too.
    It was not in fact imported but the war assets which made part of our Army after the partition made the reason for this revolver to become a side arm of officers and the soldiers.
    Infantry and armour units of British Army of sub continent took part in 2nd World War mainly on Burma fronts used British weapons and equipment which later devided between both Indian and Pakistan army remained in use for decades so this revolver can be found in store.
    However must visit this link also : http://www.reocities.com/wellesley/4849/webley.html
    thnx alot for the info...!! now i came to know how these specific revolvers got into our military

Enthusiast
    today fired from my revolver...nd it came out to be awsm!!! amazing production...after 67 yrs of its production, it fired like latest wpn!

That's a really nice-looking Enfield! Most of the ones that make it to my country are so worn and abused they're little better than display pieces; the few nice ones command serious money.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    That's a really nice-looking Enfield! Most of the ones that make it to my country are so worn and abused they're little better than display pieces; the few nice ones command serious money.
    how much it cost there?

Dear Salman, first of all congrats on having this collectable piece. In fact, I own one as well.
    will share pics soon

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by fezan View Post
    Dear Salman, first of all congrats on having this collectable piece. In fact, I own one as well.
    will share pics soon
    thank u so much

waiting for ur pix...have u done any research on the symbols on them? from where u got ur revolver?

regards

Dear Salman, 1st of all my apologies on being replying so late on the topic. I hope you will accept.

My revolver came in as gift from a friend which he got from some one elder in the family... As he is not a collection type so he passes it to me.

As requested by you, I am positing some pics of the revolver and marking on it. Hope it will help in solving any queries if you may have.

Enfield No 2, MK-I 38-cal Revolver

here you go, Pls feel free to comment
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Enthusiast
    AOA....
    thank you for posting ur pix....its in amazing condition with all marks intact.
    cleard my maximum doubts. only diff between urs and mine is dat the grip is made from plastic while mine is wood...
    its an amazing collector's item!

Enthusiast
    looking at the enfield mark...its also a wartime production...
    wat is the serial numbr?