Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chamber adapters, Barrel inserts and Conversions

Chamber adapters, Barrel inserts and Conversions

Hi, Since keeping many guns is becoming more and more difficult for average law abiding Pakistani citizens. Wouldn't it be more practical and enjoyable to explore the route of aux- cartridges.

Three basic types available;
    1) Chamber adapters ( same caliber, smaller cartridge i.e .30 pistol in .30/06).
    2) Barrel Inserts ( complete chambered barrel in larger bore i.e .357 in 12 ga).
    3) Pistol/ revolver conversion ( sub barrel, chamber and magazines etc. i.e .22lr in 9mm).

What is the availability, uses and legal issues of such conversions in Pakistan. What accuracy is expected.
    Kindly share your views. Regards

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    I have known .30 bore TTs to be converted into 9mm via a barrel and magazine transfer.

As regards legality. Utterly and completely illegal.

If U have a license that has a 9mm pistol entered on it and you carry a .30 bore. Pfft......
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

O.K. This might kick in some interest....

Name:  Loather1.jpg
Views: 1840
Size:  60.7 KBName:  Loather2.jpg
Views: 2018
Size:  40.9 KBName:  Loather3.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  53.2 KB

@ Rao shb Can u plz explain the pics... Its confusing
    Last edited by zia raza; 13-06-2014 at 02:55 AM.
    an armed society is a polite society.(Robert A. Heinlein):.jhb)

Lothar Walther is a premium German Rifle barrel maker working since around 1925.
    One of its specialty is caliber conversions and adapters. I bought these units long time ago from Lahore.

Top picture:
    #1; Conversion unit for .38 spl/ .357 mag revolver for .22lr. Kit includes barrel insert with locking nut, Chamber adapters for .22lr, firing pin adapter from center-fire to rim-fire and other accessories.

#2; Conversion unit for semi-auto 9mm pistol to .22lr. Kit include .22lr barrel insert with chamber and 9mm chamber insert firing pin converter. This kit has seen much use in my Beretta m92 and is super accurate.

Middle picture:
    Close up of the units described.

Bottom Picture:
    Leaflet showing the principle of conversions.

You guys may also find this interesting.
    7.62x25 Tok for 12 Ga;

Name:  Adapter1.jpg
Views: 1812
Size:  51.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RAO View Post
    7.62x25 Tok for 12 Ga;
    Sir u r giving shock after a shock, sir how come it is possible, 12g has a pipe barrel whereas tokarev ammo need rifle barrel... And what abt difference in dia of barrel... Amazing

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    7.62x25 Tok for 12 Ga;

Name:  Adapter1.jpg
Views: 1812
Size:  51.9 KB
    In calibre change U need a barrel change as well. So the grooves can engage as Zia sahib put it. Putting a .30 bore in a 12 guage pipe is a complete wtf moment for me.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Sir if we even convert 7.62 to 222 or 223 we have to change barrel, recoil spring, spring rod, gas chamber setting,mags, bolt carrier, bolt and in .223 case even extractor... What left same is only body i guess... Even after complete transformation weapon is prone to jams...

only successful transformation i hav noticed is of rock island 1911 (9mm/22tcm) for that u have to change barrel, mags, and recoil spring

the next successful transformation is of cz75 kadet.22 in that case only frame remains the same rest every thing is changed including slide..

There are barrel adapters for converting 9mm to .22, 12gauge to .45 and 9mm kindly search the net they are easily available online but they lack in accuracy and are only for fun.

http://www.amazon.com/Gauge-Shotgun-.../dp/B005LE4FBU
    http://www.gunadapters.com/products/...n-adapter.html
    http://www.gunadapters.com/12-gauge-to-45-acp/
    Communist until you get rich; Feminist until you get married; Atheist until the airplane starts falling.

Quote Originally Posted by zia raza View Post
    Sir u r giving shock after a shock, sir how come it is possible, 12g has a pipe barrel whereas tokarev ammo need rifle barrel... And what abt difference in dia of barrel... Amazing
    This barrel insert is actually 5" long, fully rifled and chambered 7.62x25, and there is a sleeve over that barrel which is shaped for 12 ga chamber and bore. there is an O ring at the muzzle side of insert to keep it center in bore.
    It gives scaring groups at 50 yards, along with zero recoil.
    Targets such as jackals are in trouble out to 75 yards, if one is able to dial the sights at that distance. You may have noticed the rifle sights attached to my Baikal IZH-18.

Zia Raza:
    The walther arrangement for 9mm semi auto, makes the pistol single shot. After removing the magazine, one puts the match grade fully rifled barrel insert inside 9mm barrel. Tighten the locking nut. Put .22lr cartridge in the chamber of barrel insert. Put the firing pin convertor in 9mm chamber, and fire it single shot. Slide the pistol manually to pull out firing pin convertor and spent .22lt case and repeat the process.
    For reference kindly see their web site @ www.lothar-walther.com

Few More pictures of 7.62x25 barrel insert;

Name:  Adapter2.jpg
Views: 1885
Size:  30.6 KBName:  Adapter3.jpg
Views: 1733
Size:  31.8 KB

Okk bro now i got it how it works... Thanx alot for shairing the beautiful information..

Bro one more question, when .30 cal ammo get shot and projectile comes out of the sleve/adapter muzle doesnt it affects the remaining shotgun pipe...
    as bullet travels in a circular motion , y it didnt colide inside the pipe...
    i hope i am able to explain what i mean..

The projectile is stabilized when it spins at its axis, that is what rifling do to the projectile.
    If there is even a small bit of movement, other than the spinning at its axis, the projectile will miss the mark by yards.
    That is the difference between foreign and Desi barrel. Desi barrel will only fire the shot, no matter where it hits, and premium company like walther sells for its accuracy.

There maybe a chance that barrel insert is not fitted properly, i.e for shotgun barrel. That is why work is done by only a few reputable companies like Loather Walther, Mcace, Sports specialty etc.

In shotgun, one can go upto cartridges in 45000 psi range or 5500 bar breech thrust.
    That translates into .223, .22/250 class cartridges. Accuracy depends upon the maker/ fitter.

Thanks for sharing such a nice info.

Few More pictures of 7.62x25 barrel insert;

Name:  Adapter2.jpg
Views: 1885
Size:  30.6 KBName:  Adapter3.jpg
Views: 1733
Size:  31.8 KB
    Brother is thing available in pakistan if yes then from where can we get it ???

Quote Originally Posted by zia raza View Post
    Sir if we even convert 7.62 to 222 or 223 we have to change barrel, recoil spring, spring rod, gas chamber setting,mags, bolt carrier, bolt and in .223 case even extractor... What left same is only body i guess... Even after complete transformation weapon is prone to jams...

only successful transformation i hav noticed is of rock island 1911 (9mm/22tcm) for that u have to change barrel, mags, and recoil spring

the next successful transformation is of cz75 kadet.22 in that case only frame remains the same rest every thing is changed including slide..
    This is what i was thinking off , i rode that in international forums , some guy was talking about converting a specific glock model chambered for 10mm into 9mm
    and many people advised him to convert him into .357sig or .40sw rather than 9mm bcz they also thought that gun could not be able to cycle the rounds properly any thing like heavy recoil spring and hard extractor could cause jams bcz they are initaly made for 10mm caliber not for 9mms, there are limits bro to every thing
    you might be able to convert a 40sw into .357SIG or even 9mm successfully but you cannot convert a 9mm into 40sw and .357SIG reasons are same .40sw and 357SIG will exert more pressure on week parts which are made to tolerate 9mm pressure only...

D3AD!
    While some of the stuff was available. Although cannot confirm the current availability.

You can try to find handgun conversions at Hira arms, Lahore. OR for shotgun barrel insert, let it custom made for yourself. You only need pistol barrel, and outer sleeve. And of course lot of patience to let the guy, who is actually making it on Lethe machine, understand exactly what you want.
    Also remember, SAFETY comes first.
    Do not push your knowledge, skill of the maker and the safety limits of shotguns. I posted earlier the maximum limits of sound single barrel shotguns.

Rookie
    My experience with insert and conversions is limited but found it much fun. I have an insert to convert single barrel shotgun from 20ga to 410ga. Insert made by Savage Arms/USA.

Also have a conversion unit to convert AR15 from .223 to 22rf. Simply remover AR bolt and insert conversion unit. Also insert magazine adapter for semi-auto fire.

My favorite is a conversion unit to make the 1911 a carbine/rifle. Simply remover barrel and slide and insert 1911 frame into conversion unit. Takes less then a minute. With the units 16 inch barrel, velocity increases up to 200fps.

The 20ga shotgun mentioned above can also be converted to 30-30 Winchester(a low pressure load), by changing barrels. Again less the a minute from dove gun to deer gun.
    Last edited by low*dog; 05-08-2015 at 11:37 AM.