Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 136

Thread: Revolver Vs. Pistol

  1. #1
    Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    17,089

    Revolver Vs. Pistol

    Here is my take on the age old debate after carrying both as my EDC.

    Reliability:

    Hands down the innate simplicity of the revolver design makes it vastly superior to the pistol in the reliability department.
    No worries about faulty magazines, followers, spring pressure. No FTE issues or feeding problems. Broken ejectors or worries about which ammo the pistol ‘likes’ FMJ or JHP or any specific brand.
    With a wheel gun “you” decide what ammo type U like not the gun! You may load semi-wadcutters and she will not complain.
    Even if there is a failure to fire the shooter does not have to take ‘time out’ in a gun fight and clear the dud round manually. With a revolver he simply continues shooting.

    Simplicity

    For a newbie to the fire arms world i almost always recommond a wheel gun over a pistol. its far more simpler to operate then a pistol

    Choice:

    The .357magnum can also fire the .38 spacial. My .32 S&W long can do .32 s&w short and in a pinch even .32 acp ( A pistol round) However I can just imagine stuffing my .32 revolver round in the .32 pistol! Boom if I ever were able to stuff it inside the gun!

    Safety:

    IMHO one of the most crucial differences between the wheel gun and the pistol is that the pistol cycles a fresh round “after” it has been fired. While the revolver completes its cycle “before” discharge.
    How does it affect the safety of the weapon?

    Well. The safest way to carry a firarm is condition 3 or chamber empty. Unfortunately if the stuff hits the fan. All you have to pull the trigger on a pistol suddenly all u get is a click.. U can go on clicking ad infinitum. Untill you charge the weapon manually u wont get anywhere.
    However, with a wheel gun even when there is an empty chamber under the hammer when you squeeze the trigger the piece will fire. The rotary mechanism will ensure there is a fresh round whenever the trigger is pulled.

    Quantity vs. size:

    The size of a pistol round is limited to the size of the grip. It is possible to stuff a .357magnum round in a desert eagle, but you would have to be a giant to conceal it let alone fire it comfortably.. if u have normal sized hands that is. It is a huge, heavy chunk of metal.
    A titanium 7 shot .357 magnum Taurus snubbie can easily be dropped in an ankle holster and the owner will barely feel it is there!
    Besides, the chances are if you cant do something with 7 or 8 .357 magnum rounds, you probably wont get a chance to do with 17 9mm rounds either.

    Ease of handling:

    I have used both as my EDC. But I found the task of unloading the chamber every time I came back home and then re-stuffing the 17th round back in the magazine, odious at best. I stopped abusing my thumb nail and simply shifted to my revolver. I also don’t have to worry about spring fatigue anymore.

    More tolerance for different gripping styles

    i have yet to see a wheel gun fail to fire/extract due to limp wristing or injuring a thumb or fingers because the shooter allowed it to hover close to the slide.

    (I made such an error once and am lucky my thumb is intact)

    Security

    It also does not leave 'calling' cards behind on the scene of an incident. I like my brass with me not strewn all over the road.

    you get what u are promised

    one more edge a revolver has over pistol, in revolvers you get exact barrel length you are promised with same length of rifling not like pistols where length of chamber (a feed ramp as well in CZ's case) is deducted from advertised barrel length

    There was an incident when me and my friends were coming back from French beach and on the way back on the Mauripur road we saw a bunch of moter bikers crusing slowly. I immediately charged my 9mm pistol… Or tried to at any rate. I fumbled and the slide got stuck half way. It took me a good 10 minutes to clear the jam. Luckily for me my friend and his wife. The bikers were just a bunch of kids coming back from the beach. But I learnt my lesson that day.
    And shifted to the wheel gun for serious SD work.
    Last edited by Enigmatic Desires; 22-08-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

  2. #2
    Expert Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Multan
    Posts
    1,525
    Good read ED Bro, My EDC is also a revolver albiet it is stuffed with 38 special +P

  3. #3
    Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
    Good read ED Bro, My EDC is also a revolver albiet it is stuffed with 38 special +P
    S&W K frame?
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

  4. #4
    Expert Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Multan
    Posts
    1,525
    Alternative between S&W K, COlt Police positive & newly acquired COLT MARK IV

  5. #5
    Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    17,089
    Colt mark IV i always thought it was a pistol. this is news to me.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

  6. #6
    Senior Moderator Denovo87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sialkot
    Posts
    7,068
    Blog Entries
    1
    Nice practical comparison ED bro; one more edge a revolver has over pistol, in revolvers you get exact barrel length you are promised with same length of rifling not like pistols where length of chamber (a feed ramp as well in CZ's case) is deducted from advertised barrel length
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

  7. #7
    Expert Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Multan
    Posts
    1,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Desires View Post
    Colt mark IV i always thought it was a pistol. this is news to me.
    MK V[edit source | editbeta]1982 - 1985 As with the MK III, the Mark V series was an entirely new product line of models which included Official Police, Lawman, and Trooper variants. The MK V series was based on a new, slightly smaller ‘V’ frame, similar in size to Smith & Wesson’s ‘K’ frame. Changes from the MK III models were minor and many parts remained identical. Internally, Colt did away with the sintered iron MK III lockwork in favor of cast parts, and improved the trigger action with new components and a shorter hammer fall. These improvements made the MK V triggers smoother, while the diminished lock times increased accuracy. Exterior modifications included a compact grip frame with rounded grips; other changes were engineering-based with the goal of simplifying and facilitating production
    Source.WikiPedia

  8. #8
    Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Denovo87 View Post
    Nice practical comparison ED bro; one more edge a revolver has over pistol, in revolvers you get exact barrel length you are promised with same length of rifling not like pistols where length of chamber (a feed ramp as well in CZ's case) is deducted from advertised barrel length

    Ah yes i had completely forgotten.

    I have taken the liberty of adding your point as well to the main topic.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

  9. #9
    Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
    MK V[edit source | editbeta]1982 - 1985 As with the MK III, the Mark V series was an entirely new product line of models which included Official Police, Lawman, and Trooper variants. The MK V series was based on a new, slightly smaller ‘V’ frame, similar in size to Smith & Wesson’s ‘K’ frame. Changes from the MK III models were minor and many parts remained identical. Internally, Colt did away with the sintered iron MK III lockwork in favor of cast parts, and improved the trigger action with new components and a shorter hammer fall. These improvements made the MK V triggers smoother, while the diminished lock times increased accuracy. Exterior modifications included a compact grip frame with rounded grips; other changes were engineering-based with the goal of simplifying and facilitating production
    Source.WikiPedia
    Do u have pics by any chance?
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

  10. #10
    Expert Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Multan
    Posts
    1,525
    i am in Bank right now, in eve for sure

  11. #11
    Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
    i am in Bank right now, in eve for sure
    great thanks!

    This is my current EDC
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

  12. #12
    Ahmad please do post pics in evening

  13. #13
    Expert Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Multan
    Posts
    1,525
    Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    Ahmad please do post pics in evening
    Sure I will

  14. #14
    Expert Member Ahnab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lahore, Pakistan
    Posts
    1,323
    The two big advantages a pistol has over a revolver is ammo capacity and ease of reloading. Also, if you tend to be finicky over safeties, pistols actually offer a better variety of options to choose from (SAO, safety, safe trigger, decocker, firing pin block, etc). Pistols, in general, also tend to be thinner than revolvers, making them less conspicuous while CC-ing.
    In vestri nomen Imperator Invictus!

  15. #15
    Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahnab View Post
    The two big advantages a pistol has over a revolver is ammo capacity and ease of reloading. Also, if you tend to be finicky over safeties, pistols actually offer a better variety of options to choose from (SAO, safety, safe trigger, decocker, firing pin block, etc). Pistols, in general, also tend to be thinner than revolvers, making them less conspicuous while CC-ing.
    Yes. They have higher ammo capacity. logic dicates that more ammo is good.

    But there is an adverse side to it as well.

    Quite apart from the whole 'if-u-cant-do-in-7-u-cant-do-in-17 argument.

    Every bullet sent down range in the heat of the moment is the sole responsibility of the shooter. If out of 10 rounds fired even if 5 find hteir mark the other 5 may nail the neighbour's daughter playing hopscotch down the street.

    A wheel gun stops the shooter from indulging in a bit of spraying.

    My double column mag equipped pt 92 is not much thinner then my wheelie in the grip area.

    When I cc either weapon. its the grip part that is conspicuous and prints visibly. the rest just disappears inside the pants and holster.

    The grip of a pistol cannot be completely changed since its an integral part of the weapon. The grip of the wheel gun on the other hand can be changed completely. I have used both the minuscule hw3 grip for cc while for range shooting I used the bigger HW 5 grips.

    Yes a single column TT would have a thinner profile. But then it has only 7 rounds. the same capacity as my HW 5 and no external safety (or internal safety for that matter) and it cannot be fired in DA mode.

    The Baikal 442 does have 12 rounds but then its thick grip makes it print so now the 8 round version is becoming increasingly popular. Again allmost the same ammo capacity as a cc wheel gun.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

  16. #16
    Expert Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Multan
    Posts
    1,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
    i am in Bank right now, in eve for sure
    My appologies for going off the topic bit couldnt control my self to write in...

    PG Web is BAN on my official domain and not only this, all webs related to Guns are being restricted day by day as provably they've got me lolz....

    Ahmad Sir, your are lucky enough to surf this web on Job...

    PS: Just to clearify that i am not in office right now coz company announced half day off due to Elections..

  17. #17
    Expert Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Multan
    Posts
    1,525
    Quote Originally Posted by joney View Post
    My appologies for going off the topic bit couldnt control my self to write in...

    PG Web is BAN on my official domain and not only this, all webs related to Guns are being restricted day by day as provably they've got me lolz....

    Ahmad Sir, your are lucky enough to surf this web on Job...

    PS: Just to clearify that i am not in office right now coz company announced half day off due to Elections..
    I have requested IT guy for PG, other than Pakwheels, OLX & many internationl gun sites are blocked, Moreover as picture hosting websites are also blocked so no pics

  18. #18
    Member Extraordinaire
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    3,925
    I dont like the strong pull of revolvers for me it effects accuray .with many of criminals carrying ak 47 and multiple in no so I believe the more fire power u have the better. Which pistol you were carrying ED .

  19. #19
    Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    17,089
    I am lucky the IT department where I work is too busy to log on to my 'naferius' activities.

    But I keep my fingers crossed every morning when I come to work and log on here...
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

  20. #20
    Expert Member Ahnab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lahore, Pakistan
    Posts
    1,323
    More rounds are ALWAYS a good thing, and in no way does that "influence" the operator from spraying rounds like crazy. "The heat of the moment" can also result in more misses, so having more ammo to bear on target is one feature a revolver lacks (especially if you carry a revolver in Condition 3). A wheel gun, on the other hand, simply runs out of gas.

    No matter how thick the grip of a pistol is, in profile it'll always be thinner than a revolver (thanks to the latter's cylinder). I CC a large frame gun (complete with 16 rounds loaded in it) and, although certainly heavier than a revolver, it's still (in profile) thinner than a wheel gun. The reason I bring this up is because this gives you, IMHO, more carry options. Also, there are certain variants of TT's out there with a manual safety, or you could get a 1911.

    However, in practice, the ability to quickly recharge your gun in the middle of a bad situation should not be discounted, and this is strictly a pistol's personal domain.
    In vestri nomen Imperator Invictus!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •