Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Makes Guns Thrice as Expensive in Pakistan?

In addition to above, dealers are often reviewing this forum so the moment a good review is posted, prices start creeping up as demand goes up too .... whether there is sufficient supply or not! Turkish and Brazilian pistols are going up in prices, 60K for Stoeger to 75K (some asking for 78K) in 12 months .... and $ has fluctuated up and down 5 rupees the whole of last 12 months! Same thing with Davidoff cigarettes .... 95 rupees January 2012 to 130 rupees current ...

Also, this is the only Muslim country where prices of food items shoot up like mad during Ramadhan month whereas in all other Muslim countries the prices are dropped in this holy month.

GREEDY R' US ..... that's the issue.

A gun in the hand keeps the other in the holster ;-)

Unforunate but True!

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Unforunate but True!
    (sigh) I have lost count of the number of times i had to walk barefoot after going to the masjid......
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Desires View Post
    (sigh) I have lost count of the number of times i had to walk barefoot after going to the masjid......
    hahaha, going to Jumaa prayers, hope to get a safe place for my shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Mig View Post
    hahaha, going to Jumaa prayers, hope to get a safe place for my shoes
    I hope you got back home on your own shoes
    A gun in the hand keeps the other in the holster ;-)

Assalam
    One way fwd will be to boycott all such over expensive items and go for local. We need to develop our local industries to be able to produce the quality that's upto the mark.
    Unfortunately currently we don't seem to be much confident in our local products ... and may be for some right reasons. We all see now and then very attractive and genuine looking guns, so much accurately detailed that if keepen side by side one cant tell the difference b/w the original and the copy. but when it comes to actual hard fire performance we tend to hold back.
    I remember that about 20 years agao when my uncle wanted a shotgun for home defence he went for a Winchester at 18 K instead of a popular local brand at 10 K for which the dealer was giving garuntees. he said to me what use the garuntee be if when needed this wouldn't work and I get shot ....

But we have to stand and make efforts to change .... there are many resourcefull and well connected people ....
    We can start by connecting to local authentic manufacturers and promoting their products. We can device a stringent QA procedure according to international standards and test these products and publish our report on this and other forums.

I m sure we can atleast find a couple of honest and straight people even these days....

There are many factors that make things expensive
    There are few dealers who have yearly import quota to import arms n ammunition in Pakistan, So they are also getting the premium of our import quota, Every commercial importer cannot import. 35%+15%+17%+5%+2%

Before 2005 Pistols was more expensive than now a days, Not every body can buy Glock Sig Beretta Stoeger or H&K , that time there was only few importers with monopoly of few products,
    After 2005-2007 Turkey products come into Pakistan with some new importers (dealers get increase quota), and with newly design with variety of guns, people get European and American standard guns at low price in shape of Turkish guns,
    Turkish products are more better standard than Chinese but not less than Europeans or Americans

Quote Originally Posted by K-203 View Post
    Assalam
    One way fwd will be to boycott all such over expensive items and go for local. We need to develop our local industries to be able to produce the quality that's upto the mark.
    Unfortunately currently we don't seem to be much confident in our local products ... and may be for some right reasons. We all see now and then very attractive and genuine looking guns, so much accurately detailed that if keepen side by side one cant tell the difference b/w the original and the copy. but when it comes to actual hard fire performance we tend to hold back.
    I remember that about 20 years agao when my uncle wanted a shotgun for home defence he went for a Winchester at 18 K instead of a popular local brand at 10 K for which the dealer was giving garuntees. he said to me what use the garuntee be if when needed this wouldn't work and I get shot ....

But we have to stand and make efforts to change .... there are many resourcefull and well connected people ....
    We can start by connecting to local authentic manufacturers and promoting their products. We can device a stringent QA procedure according to international standards and test these products and publish our report on this and other forums.

I m sure we can atleast find a couple of honest and straight people even these days....
    Sir I Love the Idea that you have. Actually It is what I dream of. If the industry of Pakistan will grow our economy will grow which will make everything cheap. people do not understand that. PAF does have international standard Iso certification and so doest other small factories who are exporting firearms but they are very few. West does not let a gun enter their market if they are not satisfied with the design, safety and metallurgy of the firearm. so some of the companies are producing fire arms which in america are used for fun at range and truck gun.
    the Idea here is to educate the public about the Local produced goods. I do not mind buying the Pak made guns and i believe that the more we buy will encourage factories to put new designs and start experimenting for newer and better quality and designs. why we are so far in atuomobile manufacturing and handguns because our own people does not support our own goods.
    A GUN COMES WITH A GREAT RESPONSIBILITY!!!

These words are very nice for hearing but in practical not workable, POF is operated by service men who are performing our duties Not running by Industrialist or like a business men who is free in our decisions who give our 24/7 time in research to compete other brands wit low cost and improved quality and better designing on demand and supply formula

In common sense if i will go to buy a thing I will calculate with every thing (reliability durability etc) before expense my money, In case of manufacturing I will try to attract maximum buyers for my products,

Canik Sarsilmaz and Taurus is manufacturing complete range of pistols from small frame to big frame Short barrel to long barrel with grips for big hands to small hands, They are manufacturing products for choice of every person and they do not want to loose a single customer.

Supreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OmErJamil View Post
    1. a $600 item being upto 500% expensive on local shelf, whereas
    (i) a $700 item is charged around 150% premium (max) i.e. Beretta 92FS
    (ii) a $400 item is charged around lets say 50% premium (max) i.e. Taurus PT92
    It's the dealer's prerogative to charge whatever they want, and the customer is free to make up their own mind. If you feel 500% markup is too much, then don't buy... But what I find unethical, is for different people to get different prices. From the accounts of members here, it seems when you see something you like, you have to ask the shopkeeper for a price. That way, if the likes you, maybe he'll just charge you 490% markup, but if he doesn't like the way you look or whatever, you get the 510% deal. Sure, different people are better or worse at bargaining, but at least the starting point should be the same for everyone, and that should be the price ​on a price tag!

The man who fears no truth has nothing to fear from lies.
    (Thomas Jefferson)

can we compile a list of authentic local producers whose products are reasonably up to the quality standard ?

And also in my opinion POF could have made a hell lot of difference if it was being run by enterpreneurs not service men; specialy small arms and their research and development. They could stiil achieve it by partnering 30/40 their small arm production.

can we compile a list of authentic local producers whose products are reasonably up to the quality standard ?

And also in my opinion POF could have made a hell lot of difference if it was being run by enterpreneurs not service men; specialy small arms and their research and development. They could stiil achieve it by partnering 30/40 their small arm production.
    Sure but what would be the yardstick?

SAAMI?
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

That can be used as general guidelines, but I m sure people who are seasoned in this hobby/trait must be having sufficient knowledge base to ID such manufacturers.

We must have to compile production with expence budget and investment of all local producers including POF then the total out put should be compare

That can be used as general guidelines, but I m sure people who are seasoned in this hobby/trait must be having sufficient knowledge base to ID such manufacturers.
    Quoting from personal experience. I have used the PT 92 copy produced by Royal arms co and it works fine for me.

9000+ members .... why can't PG become an importer and seller. This will surely drop the rip off prices charged by dealers. A lot of American gun forums have shops selling ammo and guns! Why can't we do it here?

If a small gun seller can import 400 guns a year, there are very well connected members here who can have a much higher annual import quota approved and stamped letter.
    Last edited by Verve; 29-10-2013 at 03:24 PM.

It is very difficult because Pakguns is not physically present some where it is a software base program where 9000+ members can make our introduction and share our ideas, Pakguns can provide facility for members to offer buying and selling our personal arms to each other through any authorized dealer.

for import and selling arms n ammunition must need registration as dealer and need NTN and GST registration with Federal board of revenue to import arms n ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Verve View Post
    9000+ members .... why can't PG become an importer and seller. This will surely drop the rip off prices charged by dealers. A lot of American gun forums have shops selling ammo and guns! Why can't we do it here?

If a small gun seller can import 400 guns a year, there are very well connected members here who can have a much higher annual import quota approved and stamped letter.

And there is the little matter of investment. A crore or 2.. for starters

Quote Originally Posted by Verve View Post

Well, that is a brilliant idea. I am a corporate lawyer by profession and offer my volunteer services.