Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive but very effective Cleaner and Lubricant by 12guage

Banned
    Hello
    I tried the following formula for a lubricant and a cleaner by 12guage. Its amazing and works wonders. Earlier i used WD-40 and Diesel for cleaning my firearms. I urge members to give this formula a try.

Cleaner ( Solvent )
    1. Automatic transmission oil dexron II or dexron III( e:g Zic ATF III )
    2. Kerosene Oil
    3. Spirit from hardware store
    4. Paint Thinner from Hardware store
    mix all of the above in equal parts in volume.

Lubricant ( better Lubricant formula in Post 11 )

1. one part of kerosene oil
    2. one part of automatic transmission oil DEXRON II/III ( e:g Zic ATF III )

As with all Gun care products Plz use gloves and be in a well ventilated area when Mixing / Using it.

your proposition seems very economical as compare to the cost of WD40. thanks for sharing janab :)

regards
    \"God, Family & Guns: Plenty to be thankful for !\"

(if you are not part of the solution - you are part of the problem)

told you it'll work better than most commercial gun cleaners.

the lubricant works great too, but if u would like to improve on its performance even more, read the original thread/post. i've modified the lubricant a bit with amazing results.

Regards.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Shariq sahib thanks for sharing your experience.We would like to know How you used it and on which weapon?
    Also did u applied the 2 differently?
    A Good friend & Gun ALWAYS helps you in Need !

Enthusiast
    BROTHER I M A BIT SKEPTICAL FOR USING THINNER AND SPIRIT AS CLEANER COS THESE MAY DAMAGE IF SPILLED ON RUBBER PARTS LIKE SHOULDER PAD,,, OR ANY WASHERS Or Or Or........
    Guns for peace

Thanks Shariq for sharing your experience, just a few questions if you could answer will help us a lot.

How did you used the cleaner, did you dip you complete gun in the slution? for how long?
    Did it afect the outer finish in any way? did it gave the steel parts a yellowish tint?
    Did it affect the colour, finish of plastic / wooden parts?

Thanks in advance.
    "Musalma Museebat Mein Ghabraya Naheen Karta" Quaid-e-Azam

Banned
    I used this cleaner and Lubricant on my G17, Local TT and shotgun.

Ans:2&3 It did not affect finish of any of the part in any way. They look exactly same as they used too. ( except much cleaner :) )

Ans:1 I used a nylon toothbrush to apply and scrub the necessary parts and used T shirt patch soaked in cleaner to run through the barrel few times. After that i used a Bore snake for scrubbing. Then again i passed through the barrel dry Cotton t shirt patches till they started coming out clean from the barrel.

@MUSTANIR
    On many different forums people endorse such formulas with similar ingredients and are using them without any trouble. So i went ahead and used it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 12gauge

the lubricant works great too, but if u would like to improve on its performance even more, read the original thread/post. i've modified the lubricant a bit with amazing results.

Regards.
    Will do that. Thanks

BROTHER I M A BIT SKEPTICAL FOR USING THINNER AND SPIRIT AS CLEANER COS THESE MAY DAMAGE IF SPILLED ON RUBBER PARTS LIKE SHOULDER PAD,,, OR ANY WASHERS Or Or Or........
    Sir a cleaner of any kind will damange rubber/plastic parts regardless its a home brew or a commercially available gun cleaning product. however in my personal experience, O-rings, rubber recoil pads and polypropylene (buttstock spacers, execuse the spelling here) is harmess as long as u limit the contact with the cleaner to few moments/second. only prolonged contact causes any damage. i've even spilled this cleaner on O-rings on multiple occassions. nothing happened, i just wiped the cleaner off. the reason being that the cleaner doesnt have any industrial strength acetone or MEK.

How did you used the cleaner, did you dip you complete gun in the slution? for how long?
    Did it afect the outer finish in any way? did it gave the steel parts a yellowish tint?
    Did it affect the colour, finish of plastic / wooden parts?
    1. no sir, no dipping is necessary, however even if u do dip it, steel, bluing, parkerizing, powder coating are totally safe. just a few drops of the cleaner on the dirty/fouled/gunky surface. i soak a piece of cloth in the cleaner and wipe/clean/rub the dirty areas.

2. it doesnt give any tint to the color of steel parts. no discoloration whatsoever.

3. it will not cause any harm to plastic parts as long as u limit the contact, for prolonged use it can cause harm. but for a short exposure, say less than 5 mins, no harm will come to plastic parts. reason being: I intentionally left out Acetone or Methylethylketone (MEK). these super strong solvents will dissolve any type of plastic (well...... mostly)

Regards.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 12gauge

Regards.
    Plz can u tell me which number post has the modified formula for the lubricant. I can't seem to find it.

@Sqnldr_Shariq

Sir, post 1 on: http://www.pakguns.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1189

allow me to quote it here for convenience:

wonder lube
    1. two parts dexron II/III (ZIC ATF III)
    2. one part synthetic motor oil (ZIC XQ 5W40)
    now call this mixture wonder lube

to make gun oil/lubricant
    1. two parts wonder lube
    2. one part kerosene

the resulting gun oil/lubricant will now have exactly: 44% DEXRON II/III ATF, 22% synthetic motoroil, 33% kerosene oil. with this i've increased the viscosity a little, i've increased the flash point significantly, i've increased the overall viscosity index of the mixture. plus with the addition of synthetic oil, i've added polyalfaolefins to the mixture. PAO are known for their afinity for metals.

one more thing: kindly use only specified brands, as all lubricity/viscosity tests were conducted with those brands only. the lubrication data that i got can only be guaranteed as long as the same products are used.

Regards.

Note: i'm not at all a representative of the ZIC oil company, not all in association with the subject/said company in any way and does not receive any benefit, either monetary or non monetary in nature.

Banned
    Thanks. Will give it a try.

Enthusiast
    thx i'll try this too

Banned
    How to clean method for pistols. Use formula by 12gauge. 12g bro you must apply for patent now :)
    http://www.wikihow.com/Maintain-a-Pistol-(Handgun)

PakGuns Expert Panel
    @Sqnldr_Shariq, defenitely this homemade ER(ED's RED) is a wonderous and the cheapest substitute available for the gun cleaning. Mr. 12 GAUGE, has done a great job by introducing this solution to the fellow members as some of us have benefitted directly by trying this ER and the others have enjoyed discussing it. I am posting the ED's own writing on this solution.

ED'S ARTICLE ON ER:

http://www.9mmlargo.com/eds_red.htm

Some people have done tests on these cleaners, here we can find the comparison and the effectiveness of the different solutions. Hope this will help in shaping opinion.

TESTS ON POPULAR GUN CLEANERS:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm
    \"You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man\'s initiative and independence.\"

Enthusiast
    wonderfull info.... dats why we all love PAKGUNS.
    Guns for peace

Banned
    Thanks Hasan for sharing,

How do you store the solvent? in a spray bottle? Shelf life is indefinite? Pics of the liquid and container would be nice.
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." (General Douglas MacArthur)

Quote Originally Posted by Cap1
    How do you store the solvent? in a spray bottle? Shelf life is indefinite? Pics of the liquid and container would be nice.

the solvent can be stored in high quality/thick plastic bottle but i prefer 1 liter glass bottle. glass being totally safe for long term storage of solvents.

as far as pic are concerned will post them shortly.

Regards

@12G, SS and HJ, please help with this problem:

Have to clean up a CZ-27 1949-made. Hasn't been used in more than a decade. the slide has much of the original bluing but the frame(body?) has lost some of the finish. If you pull back the slide, the outer surface of barrel has lost its luster and slightly rusted all over. Inside of barrel is also uniformly rusted. According to a website, to strip it, its slide should lock somewhere in the middle of the pull, on an empty mag. Then the little pin near the top of the trigger guard is pushed through to the other side to start dis-assembly. The pin on our piece doesn't budge as if its welded...

Please guide about how it should be cleaned? Is stripping necessary for a thorough cleaning after so long a period? Can the cleaning mixes suggested by 12gauge be used in this case? If so, should i keep it dipped in cleaner/solvent etc? AND what is the level of safe usability of a firearm after such a long period of neglect and no maintenance? can't post pics right now because my cell with cam is dead... :(

I posted the same ram kahani in the thread Gun Rust but haven't got a response... :|
    "Godfather, I don't know what to do...!!",
    "You can act like a man."