Thread: 8x57 BA Rifle

8x57 BA Rifle

Salaam,

I am looking for a 8mm Bolt Action Rifle - in Karachi. Please let me know if you come across one. Thank you

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    This is where i go digging into the grave yard of old oooold posts, but I am kinda lookin for the same thing now that I have been told that .303 is PB ( No idea how and why it managed to sneak its way back into the PB category)

But if a halfway decent Mauser k98 8x57 is available here in Khi, I would love to check it out and ditto for the ammo, if it is available and at what rate?
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Please do quote the availability of original ammunition with its make & price as these rounds are hard to find these days, thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Banoori Shah View Post
    Please do quote the availability of original ammunition with its make & price as these rounds are hard to find these days, thanks in advance
    So far, the ones i have seen are locals ( Bashir and co Lucky Star Saddar khi) Least ways I have no idea if a dealer were to offer me a local while claiming she is original. Ditto for the ammo.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Thanks for the update as every where reloaded local dara made ammo is being sold under the label of old lot which ruins the gun

Thanks for the update as every where reloaded local dara made ammo is being sold under the label of old lot which ruins the gun
    Yes, I just found out the same thing myself, weather its .303 or 8x57 mm.. its all the same local darra made ammo re-branded as imported. Price 80 a pop

No point in buying a battle rifle if i would lose the battle.. with the rifle. if she explodes..

But in 303 case obsolete 174 grain indigenous ammo of sixties refurbished in eighties is available but 8x57 is out of question

But in 303 case obsolete 174 grain indigenous ammo of sixties refurbished in eighties is available but 8x57 is out of question
    What is refurbished indigenous ammo?
    Would they be what is colloquially referred to as 'Darra re-loads'?

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Desires View Post
    ...................?

Enthusiast
    try to get an "SMLE Mark 1 No.4" which is NPB and then search for POF ammo with timestamps "67",

you can find the surplus ammo in KPK as well. its a very good rifle indeed in terms of accuracy,reliability,functionality and ease of use.
    "A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends upon the character of the user" - Theodore Roosevelt

Well sir sorry for going through your post after much delayed time lapse due to loosing interest day by day in such affairs over the period of time .
    Term refurbished indigenous was referred to the ammo with polished surfaces having no markings which carries a very long journey of continents having a story behind it & intentionally avoiding the long tale , however the polished rims are mostly modified later but were manufactured initially from authentic sources , mostly having 14 grains of load & are perfect to feed SMLE if stored well or bought from a reliable source , the darra reloads are almost the other category & it was never refered as the refurbished ammo , the polished surfaces have lesser thickness in terms of few mm resulted in erasing the marks and are having less market value , best of luck & happy shooting session , Regards

Well sir sorry for going through your post after much delayed time lapse due to loosing interest day by day in such affairs over the period of time .
    Term refurbished indigenous was referred to the ammo with polished surfaces having no markings which carries a very long journey of continents having a story behind it & intentionally avoiding the long tale , however the polished rims are mostly modified later but were manufactured initially from authentic sources , mostly having 14 grains of load & are perfect to feed SMLE if stored well or bought from a reliable source , the darra reloads are almost the other category & it was never refered as the refurbished ammo , the polished surfaces have lesser thickness in terms of few mm resulted in erasing the marks and are having less market value , best of luck & happy shooting session , Regards
    Finally I was able to source a .303. But so far my ammo hunt has tirned up a grand total of 18 rounds of unknown vintage. The dealer offered to let me have the whole lot for free just to get his hands off em. A rifle with a mere total of 18 rounds (of unknown vintage) is kinda depressing.

Finally I was able to source a .303. But so far my ammo hunt has tirned up a grand total of 18 rounds of unknown vintage. The dealer offered to let me have the whole lot for free just to get his hands off em. A rifle with a mere total of 18 rounds (of unknown vintage) is kinda depressing.
    Congratulations! .303 ammo is easily available in Karkhano/ Darra. I can gift you 2 packs of 10 if you have someone in Peshawar or if you visit here.

The Old Russian and POF are easily avlble.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Khalil View Post
    The Old Russian and POF are easily avlble.
    these are Czechoslovakia mark VIII vickers machine gun ammo. purple primer with (Sellier & Bellot, Prague, Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic) Factory in Vlasim) they are made for machine gun, and if i was you, i would never use these in my Old .303 bolt action rifle. these are available for 30 ruppee each in darra.

Mark VIII[edit]

In 1938 the Mark VIII (Mark VIII and Mark VIIIz) round was approved to obtain greater range from the Vickers machine gun.[20] Slightly heavier than Mk VII bullet at 175 grains (11.3 g), the primary difference was the addition of a boat-tail and more propellant (41 grains of nitrocelluose powder in the case of the Mk VIIIz), giving a muzzle velocity of 2,5252,900 ft/s (780884 m/s). As a result, the chamber pressure was significantly higher, at 42,00060,000 lbf/sq in (approximately 280414 MPa), depending upon loading, compared to the 39,000 lbf/sq in of the Mark VII round.[21] The Mark VIII cartridge had a maximum range of approximately 4,500 yd (4,115 m). Mk VIII ammunition was described as being for "All suitably-sighted .303-inch small arms and machine guns" but caused significant bore erosion in weapons formerly using Mk VII cordite, ascribed to the channelling effect of the boat-tail projectile. As a result, it was prohibited from general use with rifles and light machine guns except in emergency.[22] As a consequence of the official prohibition, ordnance personnel reported that every man that could get his hands on Mk VIII ammunition promptly used it in his own rifle.[20]

upto Mark VII you can use in your .303 rifle.
    rest do your research and its your life

P.S if it is Mark 7 ammo, you can use it. image is not clear so i can just identify the purple primer not the markings on bullet base.
    Last edited by pakistanitoup; 28-08-2017 at 04:40 PM.
    Keep Calm & Carry One

Oh dear. If i was confused then. I am far more confused now.