Thread: Homemade 12G Snap Caps...?

Enthusiast

Lightbulb Homemade 12G Snap Caps...?

Assalamoallaikum all,

I was looking for 12G Snap Caps and at last I found it but the price was a bit high (1500- rupees for a pair). I thought can we make these Snap Caps by ourselves by using Used/Empty 12G Cartridges and a little imagination.

Any previous experiences...?

Any suggestions...?

I was thinking to use empty/used 12G Cartridges and fill tthem with Cork, Gravel etc etc and then seal them and COLOUR them for identification.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktar View Post
    Assalamoallaikum all,

I was looking for 12G Snap Caps and at last I found it but the price was a bit high (1500- rupees for a pair). I thought can we make these Snap Caps by ourselves by using Used/Empty 12G Cartridges and a little imagination.

Any previous experiences...?

Any suggestions...?

I was thinking to use empty/used 12G Cartridges and fill tthem with Cork, Gravel etc etc and then seal them and COLOUR them for identification.
    No need of anything to be filled, just used empty shells are enough to be used as SNAP CAPS for 12 guage gun, but they will wear out after a few fire pin strikes, so after a shooting session keep a couple empties at hand and they will be working fine.
    Tress passers will be shot, survivors will be shot in head for sure. Locked door is 4 ur security. A lot more Guns inside.

In the past we had a discussion on them.Yes you can use the empty ones.Filling with cork is a nice idea,give it a try.
    A Good friend & Gun ALWAYS helps you in Need !

AoA Everybody.

Empties/fired cartridges can be used as make shift snap caps. No need to fill them with anything as the fired primer can easily withstand a couple more strikes before getting too deformed to offer any support to the firing pin.

For extended use or dry fire practice it is advised to use proper spring powered snap caps as it offers support to firing pin by pushing the pin back with the power of a spring that sits behind dummy primer.

Regards.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

brother , remove primer first and then fill it with selicon. i am using these since long. will share pics soon.
    but i dont know abt positive and negative points of these homemad snapcaps. seniors r requested to shed some light

Enthusiast
    @Syed...

Brother great idea, MashaAllah. I am anxiously waiting for the pictures. I wanted to fill used cartridges with Gravel (Bajri) to give it a REALISTIC feel :-P

Expert Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed View Post
    brother , remove primer first and then fill it with selicon. i am using these since long. will share pics soon.
    but i dont know abt positive and negative points of these homemad snapcaps. seniors r requested to shed some light
    Silicon option is nice indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by Doktar View Post
    @Syed...

Brother great idea, MashaAllah. I am anxiously waiting for the pictures. I wanted to fill used cartridges with Gravel (Bajri) to give it a REALISTIC feel :-P
    Plz dont do this as salts and alkaline contents in the gravel are deadly poison for metals, and if some contents may pour out in barrel that may result into pitting. No need to give it a REALISTIC look to an empty shell of a fired cartridge that it may accidentially got mixed or some day in a hurry GOD FORBID u pick up a live round.................... So plz dont do that IMHO. SNAPS should be light weight to be distinguished between ammo when empty shells are pretended to be used as SNAPS.
    Tress passers will be shot, survivors will be shot in head for sure. Locked door is 4 ur security. A lot more Guns inside.

Enthusiast
    @masood357....

Thanx brother for your great in-put. So I can assume that it's better to spend some money on REAL stuff rather than making some amateur REALISTIC stuff ;-)

[QUOTE=Doktar;340628]@masood357....

Thanx brother for your great in-put. So I can assume that it's better to spend some money on REAL stuff rather than making some amateur REALISTIC stuff ;-)[/QUOT

Empty shells with open fore end is fine for a few strikes, but not to be filled to duplicate the appearance and feel of live round. As stated by 12 Guage bro, for extended use and dry fire trigger practice spending 1.5k will be not effecting deep in pocket.

first i used ordinary selicon (the one, red in color) which is normally used in cars by mechanics. but that was soft and I thought it was not ok, so then I bought selicon stick and its gun (both are visible in picture) to fill the primer hole.
    Last edited by Syed; 10-02-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Silicon is a nice idea.
    You can also use the spent shells. You can put glass marbles in the spent shell and top it with silicon. This will give realistic weight to the shell.
    PS: DONT FORGET TO WRITE SNAP CAP ON THE SHELLS.
    It is always the empty gun which kills.
    www.gondals.blogspot.com