Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Self Defence With .22LR ?

here we go again why is almost every body thinking of killing at first shot??
    Last edited by seeker; 24-08-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seeker View Post
    Thats what guns were made to do buddy, . If you wanna go non-lethal, why consider bullets at all? Go for a shotgun with beanbag rounds. Or better yet, a trained dog or a wooden stick.
    But the problem is, if he knows you are onto him, and he doesn't retreat ( hence is a attacker not a burglar ) , he wants to kill you. And you should kill him for your sake.

Id rather not quote the Quran from my dusty knowledge on the matter,
    but there are a few verses on the lines of
    -An eye for a eye

and the permission do " do unto them as they would do unto you"

Once again, my knowledge is rusted on the matter, and id like to leave it to a more.....educated man then myself to reference the specific verses.

At the risk of another long, time wasting argument with my brothers here ill leave it at that.

Yup! Very Good Question!

Why don't we promote that we should hold negotiation with the invader / attacker. If it proves that he is not here to take life of somebody, he should be handed over the money / property / etc (What he is after). Otherwise, he can be shot.

Right???

Blog Entries
    Pray for the best but get prepared for the worst.
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

Bro if some one enters my home uninvited with intention of robbing , harming my love ones or my property with bad intention my first reaction will be to stop him by any means before he puts a gun on my head or a family member . No one like to shoot or kill people they shoot to defend them self . I hope you don't have to face a situation where you have to face a BG and use a firearm but god forbid if it ever happens your survival instinct take over and you react and some get frozen which is a worst case scenario . The point is no one is planing to kill any one in first shot but to defend them self which falls in self defense .
    If you seek peace prepare for war .

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Yup! Very Good Question!

Why don't we promote that we should hold negotiation with the invader / attacker. If it proves that he is not here to take life of somebody, he should be handed over the money / property / etc (What he is after). Otherwise, he can be shot.

Right???
    ha ha ha ha nicely put bro ,very nicely .. lets shoot them on site for next 1 month ok lol

this is not in defense or favour of .22lr , nor i shall advise any 1 to use a .22lr in a pistol for SD...as norincos are dirt cheap very reliable and ready to use new out of box according to our members who use it ,though i have never used a norinco in my life yet ,nor any of my friends have it nor i would recommend to use with out breakin period for SD.. this is just for general knowledge for those who have no idea how a bullet works and feels like when it hits you ... watch the size of hole that a .22 HP pallet makes ,not a .22lr hp ,,in my experience most of the time a .22lr HP wont expand when fired from a pistol....... please do watch just to know what can happens inside the body when u r hit...
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWTZQc-6ybY

i use and prefer a 9mm ...but it doesnot depend what firearm u use its just how much confidence and pratice u have with that weapon...

is a .22lr high velocity round capable of killing some dog sized animal at 150-200 meters if fired from a rifle e.g like ruger 10/22

Quote Originally Posted by Verve View Post
    .22LR is a very nasty little round, and in 'close range' it can cause real havoc in the body as the bullet doesn't stay just behind the entry point. It ricochets inside the body violently damaging tissue and anything soft that comes in it's way, in the case of non-hollow points. It is nightmare for surgeons to operate to get the bullet out because the bullet pattern after entering the body is nothing like 9mm or other more conventional pistol calibers.
    With due respect Sir, bullet is never attempted to be taken out of the body, it only happens in movies. As a matter of fact Surgeons in ER explore the abdomen or chest ( whatever the site of injury is ) to fix the damage done by the bullet.

As far as the bullet is concerned no need to worry about it as when it was fired it was of very high temperature making it sterilized and will not do any harm to the body if left unattempted to recover. Attempting to just remove bullet without very obvious indication will do definitely more harm than good.

Yes there are few indications where after proper investigations ( but NEVER an MRI due to missile effect/phenomenon ) and consultations it may be removed. And also if exploring the wound created by bullet Surgeon encounters a bullet in the area of injury and the bullet is not wedged in a vital area.....yes then ofcourse it will be taken out.

Regards

Supreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cancer_doc View Post
    As far as the bullet is concerned no need to worry about it as when it was fired it was of very high temperature making it sterilized ...
    That's interesting, I never knew that. I do however know people with bullet fragments and shrapnel left in their body, because like you said, it would have done more harm trying to dig them out.

The man who fears no truth has nothing to fear from lies.
    (Thomas Jefferson)

As far as the bullet is concerned no need to worry about it as when it was fired it was of very high temperature making it sterilized and will not do any harm to the body if left unattempted to recover.
    its not true according to latest reasearch some bullets were purposly infested with bacteria fired in sterile invoirment and then send for culture , many bacteria showed healthy colonies on the culture medium plates that were derived from fired infested bullets, plus there is always risk of forign body rejecton specialy in immuno compromised and high risk patients normal skin flora bacterias if some how enter the gun shot wound can also cause serious sepsis, yes it is true that sometimes the area that is hit cant be approched during surgery without taking some serious risks e.g gun shot pellets near spinal cord because it can cause paralysis , loss of sensations , hemiparesis , spastisity etc of respected area inverated by particular nerves

and here is the proof:
    Read this page of the book (wound ballistics by Beat kneubuehl)

3.2.6.3 Bullets contaminated with Bacteria

Here is the direct link:
    http://books.google.com.pk/books?id=...ullets&f=false

Here we are talking about normal bullets FMJ , HP etc. but atleast, I have yet to see a bacteria colonized bullet for sale in the market because they cannot be shelved like normal bullets must need to be placed in special incubators at specific temperatures making them virtually impossible to use.

And if these bullets are really used then again Surgical Principles remain the same if you interfere with a bullet wedged in vital organ or close to Aorta or major vessels......still no surgeon will remove it. In that scenario take blood culture for C/S meanwhile start the empirical antibiotics and when the culture results are obtained change and or add antibiotic accordingly. Here you have to treat the infection or even worst sepsis.

Again nothing like Bollywood movies

Regards

Agree with you Doc . We are talking about normal scenario with normal bullets like FMJ , JHP not some experiment bacteria infested rounds . When was the last time you heard any one purchasing and selling these round . Even in US people don't have them for HD/SD .
    If you seek peace prepare for war .

Supreme Member
    D3, are you a doctor?

The man who fears no truth has nothing to fear from lies.
    (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by Fudgepacker View Post
    D3, are you a doctor?
    no but, i am in process of becoming one bro......

Quote Originally Posted by D3AD! View Post
    no but, i am in process of becoming one bro......
    Everything you read or see on internet is not always true or practical. Net is full of Layman's Medicine & Surgery.

When you will do your House Job and particularly Specialization either in Medicine or Surgery and will deal with such cases / calls then you can truly reallize what I said. Because my statements are based on very practical and tough teachings from the Best medical institute in Pakistan.

But I usually refrain from giving my personal views in any ongoing Medical discussion on this or any other Forum. After all it is a Gun / Fun Forum & we are here to enjoy ( from very less time I get from my Medical Profession ) and dont want to start the same thing which I keep on doing in ER, OPD or in Wards.

Regards
    Last edited by cancer_doc; 05-10-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Everything you read or see on internet is not always true or practical. Net is full of Layman's Medicine & Surgery.

When you will do your House Job and particularly Specialization either in Medicine or Surgery and will deal with such cases / calls then you can truly reallize what I said. Because my statements are based on very practical and tough teachings from the Best medical institute in Pakistan.

But I usually refrain from giving my personal views in any ongoing Medical discussion on this or any other Forum. After all it is a Gun / Fun Forum & we are here to enjoy ( from very less time I get from my Medical Profession ) and dont want to start the same thing which I keep on doing in ER, OPD or in Wards.

Regards
    agree , but bro if i started to qoute something here on this topic from parveen j kumar, davidson , robins , BD chuarasia , many of PG members will have no idea what i am reffering to. so i just give those refferences which are surely in there hands i-e internet....
    any ways its nice to meet a doc on board, good luck with your clients bro

Shoot the BG in the head or at his face with a .22lr .... and the tell us if it's less effective than other cals such as 9mm. If you 'have the balls' to shoot a BG first of all then would you rather shoot to drop him dead with a heavy pistol that takes those precious seconds away or with a mucb light one with little or no recoik that you can repeatedly fire accurately at his head almost every bullet.

And .22lr will immediately incapacitate ANYONE if fired from a pistol to the back or front of the head, even at 25m!

Challenge yourself. Put a headsize paper target 15m away and at 6ft height or your head height, draw your 9mm fast from conceal carry position and empty the mag in rapid fire. Now do that same with a .22lr pistol you have own &/or have enough practice with. Post results here then plz. Better still, sit on the sofam withdraw your pistol while seated and shoot the head size paper target of a standing intruder at 15m. Get someone to time you as well.

If I unload 10 .22lr bullets in a BG's chest (lungs etc) at 15m distance, what do you think will happen to him? Maybe cancer_doc can help us with that answer.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most ...