Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Self Defence With .22LR ?

Same here friend... I own a P22 myself... Being a thorough believer of the .22lr/round... I think its a terrific caliber for self defence... Also wanted to say what people talk about walther p22 is plain wrong... My p22 has never failed me
    One man with a gun can control 100 without one - Lenin

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Same here friend... I own a P22 myself... Being a thorough believer of the .22lr/round... I think its a terrific caliber for self defence... Also wanted to say what people talk about walther p22 is plain wrong... My p22 has never failed me
    Glad to hear bro, you definitely have a golden piece then because if you do a credibility check on Google and youtube, you will understand the problem we been talking about lately.

Almost 2000-2500 rounds

Enthusiast
    .22 is a very weak round and will not stop a person fast unless it hits a vital organ like brain,heart,kidney or lungs it will not stop a person instantly unless you hit the brain or heart, also rimfire is not a reliable round and ftf is common so i would not recommend it for self defence. still it is better than being empty handed just remember if you need to stop the guy aim for the head or heart and fire multiple rounds.if you hit the brain or heart the guy will drop otherwise they can still be a threat and may still be on their feet until they drop from pain or blood loss .remember .22 wont incapacitate a person unless you hit a vital organ which is not easy in a stressfull self defence situation.
    Last edited by jagga; 13-05-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jagga View Post
    .22 is a very weak round and will not stop a person fast unless it hits a vital organ like brain,heart,kidney or lungs it will not stop a person instantly unless you hit the brain or heart, also rimfire is not a reliable round and ftf is common so i would not recommend it for self defence. still it is better than being empty handed just remember if you need to stop the guy aim for the head or heart and fire multiple rounds.if you hit the brain or heart the guy will drop otherwise they can still be a threat and may still be on their feet until they drop from pain or blood loss .remember .22 wont incapacitate a person unless you hit a vital organ which is not easy in a stressfull self defence situation.
    Brother I think .22 lr is a pretty good round for self defense. if you have seen some .22lr tests on youtube then you would not put such statements. it can break bones and can penetrate skulls, .22 lr does conflict pain levels that can cause instant shutdown of brain known as fainting. yeah unless you want to really kill the threat .22 is not for you. and in some cases of SD where the threat could have been stopped but people killed the threat, those people went to jails and their weapons and license were confiscated. what do you say about it?
    A GUN COMES WITH A GREAT RESPONSIBILITY!!!

The original article was published on www.shootingillustrated.com dated October 26, 2010 (Author: Richard Mann);

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/i...-self-defense/

He never mentioned about an M22 or P22 in the original article, please have some respect for the original authors and quote the source while sharing somebody's else's work (also keeping the original work intact), failing to do so is called "PLAGIARISM" which is same as "THEFT".
    Last edited by WaltherP88; 01-09-2013 at 03:03 AM.

long ago i witnessed a incident a person was shot multiple times with a 22 handgun in his less atna distance of 6 or 8 meters, the person in return was able to take down 3 guys with his ak 74 rifle, later he was asked how did you feel when you were being shot his reply was it felt like i am being stinged by a hornet, it was winter and he was also wearing warm clothings i.e jackets etc, the said person was able after being shot multiple times to walk to his car without being carried, i am a great fan of 22 caliber for small game,target shooting and plinking, i may use it to stop a unarmed threat or a threat at some distance using a 22 caliber rifle but will never keep a 22 handgun for close combats where i am facing an armed BG. Everything hurts from .22 to 500 S&W magnum nobody wants to get shot but in some cases which also depends on individual's nerve if your shot is not well placed the BG can shoot back even after taking a 45 ACP dose it all depends on individual nerves and situation so better to choose a decent stopper like 9mm 40s&w or 45 acp, with the first two practice double tap alot, easy draw and no hesitation in pulling the trigger once your gun is drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherP88 View Post
    The original article was published on www.shootingillustrated.com dated October 26, 2010 (Author: Richard Mann);

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/i...-self-defense/

He never mentioned about an M22 or P22 in the original article, please have some respect for the original authors and quote the source while sharing somebody's else's work (also keeping the original work intact), failing to do so is called "PLAGIARISM" which is same as "THEFT".
    Good Catch.

I have had a .22lr adler made in italy rifle (ak47 style).. I tested its ability to penetrate once.. I had a non working computer cd rom.. Also had two steel flaps of cpu casing.. And i took two ply wood boards.. I piled them together and fired at them with a remington yellow jacket.. I was surprised that it crossed everything and also damaged the concrete wall behind that.. They were actually 4 metal sheets.. Two thick steel cpu casing flaps, and cd rom cover is also made of steel body sheet.. So two of those cd rom thin sheets plus whats inside the cdrom. And two ply wood board sheets. So i realised it then, that .22 lr has got enough power to break through bone. Then i did same kind of tests on my .22 lr martini rifle made in endland.. It was single shot lever action.. With bull barrel.. And fantastic sights.. It gave more powerful impact.. I sold both of those rifles.. I dont regret adler ak style rifle but yes i do regret why i sold martini rifle.. It was a kind of antique and classic rifle.. I miss it alot.. I sold it coz at that time i had no use of it and i didn't have much understanding about its classic value. Now i own a .22 taurus revolver old production model 94.. 6 shot with fixed sights.. I found it brandnew in a very old gun shop in lahore. Paid 35k for it.. Its kind of classic coz it is very old production with a very old off white card board box.. Its a direct copy S&W .22 revolver.. ( i cant remember that S&W .22 model number for now) i read in an article that these old style taurus revolvers with wooden grip and golden taurus emblem were the early productions back then S&W sold its revolvers manufacturing plant to taurus brazil.. It works fine.. I once had a problem with it.. I bought elley sport ammo.. It repeatedly misfired on double action but fired on single action.. I thought hammer spring is not making enough power on double action to fire it.. I really got worried.. Before doing anything thing with the gun i bought federal game shok and winchester high velocity 100 rds pack to test it with them. Both federal and winchester fired successfully on double action. I also fired many rounds rapidly on double action and it kept on firing.. So i got the idea that elley sport ammo i bought was faulty in a sense that it had hard primers for revolver to fire on double action.. Double action produces less power strike than single action coz on single action the hammer completely rests back end of the sear and releases with more force than double action which comes back little bit more than half way producing less strike power than single action.. I'll post some good pics of my revolver with box shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    long ago i witnessed a incident a person was shot multiple times with a 22 handgun in his less atna distance of 6 or 8 meters, the person in return was able to take down 3 guys with his ak 74 rifle, later he was asked how did you feel when you were being shot his reply was it felt like i am being stinged by a hornet, it was winter and he was also wearing warm clothings i.e jackets etc, the said person was able after being shot multiple times to walk to his car without being carried, i am a great fan of 22 caliber for small game,target shooting and plinking, i may use it to stop a unarmed threat or a threat at some distance using a 22 caliber rifle but will never keep a 22 handgun for close combats where i am facing an armed BG. Everything hurts from .22 to 500 S&W magnum nobody wants to get shot but in some cases which also depends on individual's nerve if your shot is not well placed the BG can shoot back even after taking a 45 ACP dose it all depends on individual nerves and situation so better to choose a decent stopper like 9mm 40s&w or 45 acp, with the first two practice double tap alot, easy draw and no hesitation in pulling the trigger once your gun is drawn.
    True.

If this guy had been shot a few times in the head at that range, it would've been a very different story. Clearly his attacker(s) didn't know .22lr well enough and where to aim. It's a far more forgiving round (low recoil, low weight of gun to aquire aim quickly single handed, etc) to shoot very accurately (head shots) and repeatedly without loss of accuracy to the very minimum 10m range if one is well acquainted with the handgun.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most ...

The only way id use a .22 for self defence, ever, is if 1.) thats all i had , or 2.) it was in a nice, reliable .22 rifle filled with hollowpoints, loaded in a drum mag, and set for 5 shot burst. 3.) Id say the third way id use it is to shoot myself, when the opponent has a 9mm for humor purposes, but im a fight till you die type of guy.

( I wonder if anyone knows this, but me being the self-centered jackass i am, ill go and say it anyway.
    Ever notice the lack of high capacity .22 weapons? especially with stacked mags? ( 9mms go up to 15-17+1 rounds easy, yet .22s max out at 5-10.) They dont stack well. At all. ever. so pretty much all .22 stacked weapons are unreliable, dont feed well, and are overall BS due to the rim of the cartridge, rifles get around this limitation with a rotary mag, or a very curved/banana mag, but you cannot do that with pistols.)

Czman bro, we have a member here who shot three armed robbers with a .22lr revolver. All head shots and all robbers dead on the spot.

Maybe he's an exception to the rule, being a shar shooter, but still .22lr imho is a good enough EDC option in the home city at the very least and as backup. .22mag is also a deadly round, for close range SD. I agree that for longer distances, 9mm or .45acp are better options. I carry 9mm as primary and .22lr as backup when travelling out of home city.

I think carrying a .22LR for self defence isnt a great idea.
    As a backup gun it seems a good choice.
    \"Ye daulut bhee lai lo,ye shurat bhee lai lau
    bhalay cheen lo mujsay meri jawaani
    *MAGAR*
    Muj ko Lauta do wo bijli,wo ata,wo chawal,wo roti,wo cheeni,wo pani Bhalay cheen lo mujsai meri jawani\"

.22LR is a very nasty little round, and in 'close range' it can cause real havoc in the body as the bullet doesn't stay just behind the entry point. It ricochets inside the body violently damaging tissue and anything soft that comes in it's way, in the case of non-hollow points. It is nightmare for surgeons to operate to get the bullet out because the bullet pattern after entering the body is nothing like 9mm or other more conventional pistol calibers.

Verve, i know that its behaviour in flesh, but the problem is, its not as....
    whats the word..
    i swear, if my english was better id use something else but here we go= reliable as a killing weapon. A .22 lr can kill, just like a fall down the stairs or a airgun can kill. possible, but dont bet on it, Yes, it can go through bone, but in the case of a unlucky shot, the 9mm will be better off.

Lets say you pop they guy in 5 general places. In the arm and leg, hitting bone is hard, and both rounds will just blast right through. The wider wound channel doing more damage, hence 9mm win.chest and abdomen, Medically speaking the only "immediate incapacitation you will get is if you hit the spine. which is unlikely, but both rounds can do it. But if you miss, as usual, the 9mm will blast right through, and the .22 will maybe, be slightly offset by bone,and somehow manage to hit the spine.So a very unlikely spine hit vs guarenteed significant damage through and through? 9mm wins. In the head, as any youtube vid will show you, both will blow clean through bone. PLEASE dont give me any of that ( .22 bounces in skill BS. A hit to the brain is immidiate death/incapacitate no matter what the caliber. If one side vs two sides are turned to mush, the opponenet will STILL DIE . both win. so the end score is 5-1

both 9mm and .22 lr are easy rounds to handle. hell, after starting on .22 lr, even petite women go ahead and choose the 9mm as their to-go round.

Keeping in mind that you want to kill a opponent when firing in self defence. If you point a gun at someone, its to kill em. no "non-lethal shot" bullcrap here.
    the 9mm is=
    the same fps
    mildly more expensive
    more reliable ( a .22 pistol, as all .22 pistols go, will have the occasional feeding and firing issue due to the rim of the cartridge. )
    guns (pistols, go for pretty much the same price)
    are more reliable as a offensive weapon.
    are better suited for less-then-ideal conditions ( wind, rain, thunderstorm, longer ranges, dusty environments )
    Is more or less of a staple round. i mean, sure .22 is everywhere, but only for sporting. 9mm is EVERYWHERE, sporting, LEA, you name it. Its like what the .30 tokarev is to pakistan.
    more rounds. .22lr weapons go upto 10 rounds max unless its a auto weapon, ( no autos in pak. ) but with 9mm we get a avg of 15-17+1 rounds to 33+1 rounds.
    If you consider both as Hollow points, the 9mm will leave a much bigger wound channel.

the vitues of the .22lr are not many.
    cheaper ammo
    and the ability to cause bleeding in many small wound channels.

The guy in question, if he was a star shooter, he could of course perform 3 headshots with a .22 lr, just as he could with a 9mm. But the point is, in less then perfect conditions , lets say 2 head shots and a torso hit, a 9mm would leave the defendant with many more bullets in the mag, and even if the hit is in a non vital area, would cause more damage. Surely the man will not just stand there like a doofus and let himself internally bleed to death. he will flee, or shoot back. Now tell me, in that 10 second period after he gets hit, will a 1.3- 2cm hole bleed more or a .7-1 cm hole?
    Forget about the surgions stories. We want the target to never even get to the surgeon at all. If surgeons go around saying oh so and so, .22 bounces around and is hard to remove, lets think why are there no such stories about 9mm, or .45? Because the robber never got the chance to get to the surgeon.

YES the .22 lr is underestimated as a bullet. But this is a case of expecting the underdog to have superpowers. cars dont replace trucks. each have their own place. IF, you think that ( bouncing around) benefit is worth it, use something with a much higher chance of that happening. AKA bird/buckshot

The EMT fourms on the internet state the same thing. They say almost all .22 rounds are completely go though the body, and in some rare, incredible outrageous case, may bounce around. Mostly what they state is = "Small caliber bullets like the .22 will either barely hurt, or in extreme cases, kill you"

Even for women, id hand em a .22 for the first 100 or so, and move em up to a 9mm/or a 38.special 'volver gun and tell em they can stay there or move up.

So my final words on the topic would be,
    Dont "underestimate" or "overestimate" the power of our trusty .22lr
    Last edited by czman; 14-08-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Supreme Member

BUT

Based on research done by Greg Ellifritz(Buckeye Firearms assciation)
    This one is more interesting to me due to the sample size(1800) compared to the much touted FBI study on firearms witha sample size of 42!!
    There are only TWO times when you can have too much ammo... When you are on fire or when you are drowning...

hahahahahaahhahhahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahah a.......22LR for SELF defense ????? nearly impossible... atleast you need a .30 bore or 9mm handgun or a 5.45mm rifle or a shotgun with SG rounds ....

Supreme Member
    Thanks for sharing that Faisji bro, it's really interesting research. Disregarding the rifle and shotgun, it appears all the handgun calibers quite comparable. Its interesting to note that .22 had the highest probability of incapacitating with one hit, on average it required the least number of rounds to incapacitate, and tied with .357 for most likely to end in death. These are stats from actual gunfights, so I think there's a really simple explanation: Shot placement has everything to do with incapacitation, and a .22 shot is the easiest to place. That's surely the case for the average person, but I've actually had that discussion with competitive shooters who also said that, no matter how well they can shoot a 9, 40, or 45, it's still easier to shoot a 22. Obviousy, traits suchs as being "simple" and "requiring less effort" are beneficial, especially under stress, but I never really thought about the real world ramifications of that until now.
    Last edited by Fudgepacker; 23-08-2014 at 07:07 AM.

The man who fears no truth has nothing to fear from lies.
    (Thomas Jefferson)

Member Emeritus
    Very nice share @Faisji, but this stats/graph doesn't include the most popular round in our Country "7.62x25mm Tok" aka .30 bore.

Nice share indeed, it just proves the saying "Handgun wounds go to ER shotgun wounds go to the morgue."
    Come one guys, Like i said in another thread why choose a caliber that was designed for target shooting and small game varmint hunting?
    Why not just pick the one that was designed to kill/ for defense? It's not like we have a shortage of 9mm or .45 here...........
    Communist until you get rich; Feminist until you get married; Atheist until the airplane starts falling.