Sights: Fixed

Action: DA/SA

Finish: Brunition

Capacity: 15+1

Price: $625

" The M9 Beretta pistol has been faithfully
serving the US Military for more than two
decades "

A little than two decades ago the United States military, and by that I mean the actual men and women serving in it , underwent a big change in their lives with the adoption of a new service pistol. Not only did we change caliber ( a subject that is still open for debate ), we
adopted a completely different operating system with a double-action/single-action (DA/SA) design.

I was a young US Marine when this changeover took place and i still remember the noise that went on in the ranks and in the firearms world in general. Gallons of ink and reams of paper were sacrificed during the debate over .45ACP versus 9mm , and the M1911A1 versus
M9. Before we move one sentence further into this review let me make it clear, I am not going
to re-fight that war.

So what is the point: why revisit the Beretta M9 ? Because, like it or not, at the moment there are literally tens of thousands of M9 pistols in the hands of our troops around the globe. All the editorials, reviews, or carefully crafted letters in the world aren t going to change the fact that as these words are put to paper, the predominant sidearm of US Military is the M9 Beretta pistol.

I carried the M9 for a few years during my tour of Afganistan and i will be the first to admit that after i left Corps i did not carry one again for many years. Only a few months out of the Marines, I entered the police academy and during my career as a cop i carried a number of sidearms, but not the M9 or its civilian counter part the Beretta 92FS.

Last year i had cause to reconsider the M9 service pistol. As a member of a small arms and tactics training team, one of my jobs is to train US troops with theM9. For the first time in more than a decade i had to closely examine not only the characteristics of the pistol, but how to best operate the gun in close quarter combat.

To date i have worked with hundreds of servicemen and women, and have run across the same arguments, issues and axcuses that i heard 20 years ago. The first thing shooters will do after they perform poorly on the range is to blame their equipment. Experience had taught me that, only on the rarest occasion is the equipment at fault. '' Operator error '' is by and large the number one reason for failure.

I remember one admonition from our senior firearm instructor when i was a police academy cadet. A young officer complained that she couldn't hit the target because there was something wrong with her pistol. the instructor took the pistol and with a single hand held it upside down. After putting a full magazine into the center of the target he handed the pistol back to the shooter and advised, '' There 's nothing wrong with this gun.'' The implication was obious. It's not the gun. it's you.

As asmall arm instructor i have put literally thousands of rounds of ammunition through the M9 service pistol during the last years. while i hate to give the bottom line up front, the fact is that these guns are tough and reliable. They consume magazine after magazine of hot M882 military ball ammo and keep coming back for more.

In my own little corner of the world, we put shooters through much more than the standard pistol qualifications course. Our students shoot hundreds of rounds on paper and steel silhouettes each week. They must shoot single- and weak-handed, perform rapid reloading drills and fire from awkward positions. In a nutshell, these pistols are run hard.

Gun Details

The current Beretta M9 service pistol is definitely a full-sized handgun. Many have criticized the choice of a DA/SA action. This criticism aside, the fact remains that it was this ''first shot double-action'' feature that allowed the ''big military'' to allow its men and women to do something they were prohibited from doing up until its adoption: carry a pistol with a round chambered and the safety on.

What many people fail to realize is that the standard practice before the M9 was to carry the M1911A1 pistolwith the hammer down on an empty chamber and magazine inserted. It was not until the introduction of the M9 with its DA trigger and active decocking mechanism that the ''powers that be'' allowed the troops to walk around with '' loaded'' pistols.

considering specifics, the M9 Beretta service pistol has 4.9-inches barrel with an overall length of 8.5 inches. This duty gun holds 15 plus 1 rounds of 9mm. The pistol is finished in Beretta's Brunition matte black, non-reflective coating. Sights are fixed, but the rear is drift adjustable. As mentioned, the mechanism and the decocker/safety is mounted on the slide.

From a technical standpoint the M9 has short recoil, delayed locking block system as oppossed to a straight blowback. In addition to the manual safety lever, the pistol includes a passive firing pin block. When a round is chambered, the extractor protrudes and acts as a loaded chamber indicator.

Training

Another change took place with the introduction of the new pistol. Rather than merely conducting slow-fire, marksmanship training with their handguns, the US military srarted training with their pistols in the same manner as their rifles. Whan i first entered the service, the only live-fire training we did was to fire our .45 pistols slowly at paper bull's-eye targets. When we adopted the M9 we actually began shooting plastic silhouette targets . Drawing from holster became a part of the qualifications process, as opposed to old .45 ranges where weneed drew from the holster with live rounds in place.

Today's training is light years ahead of what it once was. We conduct shoot from cover drills, movement drills, and even transition training where shooters rapidly transition from along gun to their secondary weapon, the M9.

During my own range time i worked with a number of commercially manufactured loads from Carbon, Remington, and Winchester. Over a period of two to three weeks i would hit the range several times. In addition to slow-fire and chronographing, i ran numerous drills from the holster. My holster of choise for this project was BlackHawk SERPA drop leg rig . Over the last few years i have found the SERPA drop leg holster to be fast, secure, and reliable .

To add some realism to my training i invited a training partner along. Tactical Ted accompanied me to the range for this project. Tactical Ted is a three dimensional plastic target available from law Enforcement Targets, Inc. I dressed Ted in an old shirt and he was ready for
training.

PERFORMANCE

Load Velocity Accuracy

Corbon DPX 1213 3.50
115+P

Corbon Pow'R Ball 1386 4.12
100+P

Remington 1208 3.75
115 FMC

Winchester/USA 1179 3.25
115 FMJ

Winchester 1257 2.75
115 STHP +P

( Bullet weight measured in grains, velocity in feet per second (fps) by shooting Chrony, and
accuracy in inches for 5-shot groups from 25 yards )

Final Notes

Many years ago a shooting instructor of mine advised the class to ''run what you bring .'' He meant that rather than complain about what you wish you had or what you would rather have, get busy and train with what you've got.

When it comes to the M9 pistol, rather than focusing on what might have been or might be in the future, you need to focus on the tool at hand. That tool is the 9mm Beretta pistol . As an instructor it's my job to help students focus not on ''whats ifs'' but on the here and now.

Beretta's M9 can be learned and operated by any sized shooter. Before i sat down to complete the final edit on this piece i witnessed a young lady with small hands and a slight frame outshoot an older man with larger hands.

COMBAT HANDGUNS

by

Paul Markel

http://www.postimage.org/PqsdoWS.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

Enigmatic Desires
23-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Why would it be a wrong post.. its in the hand guns sections... and its a gr8 review on a truely outstanding fire arm

BERETTA M9 9mm
23-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks Enigmatic Desires.........I correct it..

BERETTA M9 9mm
23-05-2009, 09:12 PM
http://www.postimage.org/PqvgPo9.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqvgPo9)

http://www.postimage.org/Pqvh8li.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pqvh8li)

BERETTA M9 9mm
23-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Beretta M9 Knife

http://www.postimage.org/PqvjUXi.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqvjUXi)

http://www.postimage.org/PqvkWO0.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqvkWO0)

ARlover
26-05-2009, 03:24 PM
great looking

Khalidsh
27-05-2009, 12:11 PM
I love this gun but its on a bit expensive side. Last winter there was a guy selling original new one at a reasonable price but my friend who was accompanying me told me that its the Army version and I should refrain from buying it. I hear there are many US army weapons availabe in Quetta and Peshawar markets but advice people should refrain from buying them.

Sohail
27-05-2009, 12:46 PM
@khalid: any particular reason for not buying them? do they have plan to go after those who already have acquired few? how come?

regards

MIdreesTaj
06-07-2009, 12:24 PM
a semiauto we see the most in hollywood movies.. the most beautiful yet artistic pistol ive ever came across. its the pistol having a personality. certainly not a toy looking pistol as mostly the 3rd generation utilitarian pistols now look. :D

ChocTalpur
06-07-2009, 03:03 PM
What a piece ...!!!

BERETTA M9 9mm
12-09-2009, 06:10 AM
I really..............LOVE...............this PISTOL

Monis
12-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Great gun

Malik1
12-09-2009, 09:46 AM
I, since two decades, have been in love with this pistol. It has always been on my wish list.

I do not know about the performance of a later version of Beretta i.e Px4 Storm but that is also a beautiful gun.
@Beretta M9 9mm, do you have any first hand experience in handling and shooting of Px4 Storm, if you please enlighten us

Khalidsh
12-09-2009, 09:47 AM
@sohail ... sorry I missed your question.... my problem is that i have many friends/family members in Policce and Armed Forces and dont want any embarrasing situation .... Although its not a traceable weapon, but the idea is why buy a stolen weapon!.
Its more like ethics than anything else

BERETTA M9 9mm
12-09-2009, 02:32 PM
No Malik 1..............i have nothing experience with PX4 Strom...........NOT YET