PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand (WWII)

Bugzilla
15-01-2009, 05:22 PM
The M1 was used heavily by U.S. forces in World War II, the Korean War, and, to a limited extent, the Vietnam War. Most M1 rifles were issued to American Army and Marine troops, though many thousands were also lent or provided as foreign aid to America's allies. The Garand is still used by drill teams and military honor guards. It is also widely sought by the civilian population as a hunting rifle, target rifle, and military collectible. The name "Garand" is pronounced variously as [g??rænd] or [?gær?nd]. According to experts and people who knew Garand, the latter version is preferred.

Source: Wikipedia, M1 Garand rifle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Garand_rifle)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/Garand.jpg

I've always pronounced it Ga-Rand, but whatever the correct pronounciation, it remains one of my absolute favorite guns (of which there are many!). I've never fired one or even seen one up close (which is really sad, I know) but I love it nonetheless - looks and the sound it makes are really what I like most about it as I don't the first thing about the innards of a gun! General George Patton called it "the greatest implement of battle ever devised," and there's no doubt it was one of the edges US soldiers had over the Axis.

Springfield Armory used to make WWII replicas but I can't find anything on their site about it now. Might be wishful thinking, but would anyone here have one of these? I would love to hold one, and maybe even fire if I ever get the chance.

Other WWII guns I also really like: M1A1 Thompson, MP40, and the Mosin-Nagant.

If you're thinking I like these guns from playing too many WWII shooters, you're partially right. I like using these in the game, obviously, but I also like them as guns.

Any WWII gun fans here? Which ones do you like?

Shariq
15-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Just confirming from u sir. Isn't it the gun we fire during NCC training. It looked exactly the same as the pics and also called M-1. Formidable recoil though!!

Bugzilla
15-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Just confirming from u sir. Isn't it the gun we fire during NCC training. It looked exactly the same as the pics and also called M-1. Formidable recoil though!!

I don't know but it could be! That makes me wish NCC training was still conducted here! :(

Shariq
15-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Its .303 then its definitely the same gun. I remember i took 8 turns. Not many were willing to fire because of the recoil and the Sound :)

Firepower!
16-01-2009, 11:52 PM
M1 garand.
Well waaddya know, I have it. It is rechambered to fire 8mm rather than original 30-06 springfield. It blats away target like it not there.

Its not 303. That is lee enfield and bolt action. This is semi auto and takes 8 round clip. Can only be fed with clip so dont lose them.

Gun Lover
18-01-2009, 12:47 PM
do u have clips for m1 garand i need a few can u sell me a few

where can i find .30-06 ammunition

how can this gun br rechambered for 8mmx57 unless it has got a replacemrnt barrel
if it is original please do not shoot 8mm in it 8mm chambers but can damage the gun .

phone me 03445222767

Ahmad
19-01-2009, 11:02 PM
@Sqnldr_Shariq ya it is same gun you were introduced as US RIFLE M1. it was used in NCC till 1996 then last batches trained with G3.
yes they originally were 30.06 but reamed to fire 8X57 mm rifle. very nice rifle.
@Gunlover you can find Enbloc clips at Ravi road shops @ rs 150 each.
cheers

Balazona
20-01-2009, 08:39 AM
I used it in NCC in college days.

Malik
21-01-2009, 01:28 AM
its still lying in old coaths of army and police and they r in tons along with with old .22 guns all over the country.

Firepower!
23-01-2009, 02:27 PM
The ones I have I use them.

You can buy them from Derra. The ammo is plenty in Asia Arms Peshawar

Gun Lover
24-01-2009, 05:03 PM
thank you ahmad and fire power i will check them both

but how can a smaller cartridge of 8x57mm can be reamed into a larger cartridge chamber of 7.62x63 (30-06) .
my gunsmith was saying the same that m1 can fire 8mm ctgs as hey seem to chamber in M1
but as per internet surfing results and my personal experience one should never shoot ctgs not meant for the weapon.

an m1 garand can only fire 8mm if it has an 8mm replacement barrel installed instead of original barrel which chambers .30-06 ctg
please for the sake of safety i request not to shoot 8mm ctgs in original m1 rifle

Firepower!
28-01-2009, 01:40 PM
the barrel is usually rechambered.

Gun Lover
01-02-2009, 12:00 PM
to firepower
i have tried almost all dealers in rwp
even in peshawar it does not seem to be available

if you have clips and ammo
can you give me one clip and 10 rounds
i will be obliged
i will be very happy to pay for the ammo
thank you

Firepower!
01-02-2009, 03:34 PM
OK Gun Lover, go to International Arms in Islamabad (I dread recomending them since they are aweful bunch) they have 30-06 ammo.

Clips I have are to 8mm chambered weapon. I am not sure if they will take the 06 ammo. If 8mm is 63mm long then they might. I will check and get back to you.

Gun Lover
01-02-2009, 07:23 PM
the clips r the same as ctg base is the same

how can i contact you
i will always be obliged

plus can u give me the address and telephone number of international arms

Firepower!
04-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Please contact International Arms in ISB. There number is listed in the Dealer section. I personally do not deal in weapons.

PUNJTANI5
15-05-2009, 10:54 AM
The price is around 1000us$ +/- 200 dependind upon model and condition
What can it cost in Pakistan?

asaeed
15-05-2009, 12:36 PM
whats the latest price of this gun? in pk.

Hamid
29-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Khyber Pass Copies
A number of British Service Rifles, predominantly the Martini-Henry and Martini-Enfield, but also the various Lee-Enfield rifles, have been produced by small manufacturers in the Khyber Pass region of the Pakistani/Afghani border.[80]

"Khyber Pass Copies", as they are known, tend to be copied exactly from a "master" rifle, which may itself be a Khyber Pass Copy, markings and all, which is why it's not uncommon to see Khyber Pass rifles with the "N" in "Enfield" reversed, amongst other things.[81]

The quality on such rifles varies from "as good as a factory-produced example" to "dangerously unsafe", tending towards the latter end of the scale. Khyber Pass Copy rifles cannot generally stand up to the pressures generated by modern commercial ammunition.[81] and it is generally advised that Khyber Pass made firearms not be fired under any circumstances.[3]

Khyber Pass Copies can be recognised by a number of factors, notably:

Spelling errors in the markings; as noted the most common of which is a reversed "N" in "Enfield")
V.R. (Victoria Regina) cyphers dated after 1901; Queen Victoria died in 1901, so any rifles made after 1901 should be stamped "E.R" (Edwardius Rex—King Edward VII or King Edward VIII) or "G.R" (Georgius Rex—King George V or King George VI).
Generally inferior workmanship, including weak/soft metal, poorly finished wood, and badly struck markings.[81]

9mm Luger
29-06-2009, 08:07 PM
M1 was and is a nice gun i fired it when i did my NCCi liked the kick n sound and like Shariq took other guys turn as well!!

Hamid
30-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Any idea about its price and availability.

Silent killerr
09-10-2009, 06:19 PM
i love this rifle

PUNJTANI5
17-01-2010, 11:01 PM
m1 is the greatest impliment of war ever devised

it is also a good hunting weapon

not for the inexperirce users hence you can get the garand's thumb

PUNJTANI5
31-01-2010, 10:43 AM
CAN SOME ONE HELP
i need the rear peep sight for M1 garand
plz

Syed Rehmat
05-02-2010, 09:56 PM
it cld b purchazed about 20_25k

Denovo87
07-02-2010, 08:04 PM
I am sorry but the weapon in question is PB, as per forum policy any query about it or the answer to the query can get poster very close to be banned....

ruffantuff
07-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Sorry did not know that this 3006 is a banned entry, during the entire post no one mentioned the same. Anyway I have removed my query.

Anthrax
07-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Ahh my type of thread. Some of my favorites from the WW2 are;

Karbiner 98K
Mosin Nagant
Lee Enfield 303
Thompson AKA the 'Tommy Gun'
PPSH-41
MP 40
Luger P08
And of course the 'Potato Masher' ;)

Note: No intention of starting up a discussion on these weapons. Just my favorite pieces of history from WW2.

Denovo87
07-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Sorry did not know that this 3006 is a banned entry, during the entire post no one mentioned the same. Anyway I have removed my query.

ruffntuff bro, this thread was started before the PB discussion was banned, hopefully it will be removed by the mods soon as per current rules.
And 3006 in BA is not banned bro, its the SA action which makes it PB thus banned.

enge.ashfaq cheema
15-04-2011, 06:48 PM
nice old style rifle?