PDA

View Full Version : what's the difference between .30 bore and 9mm

sweetaamir4u
16-05-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm a little confused. Why and what's the difference between .30 bore and 9mm.
witch is the most better of them,and can i Register 9mm on 30 bore license?

Nabeel
16-05-2009, 01:20 AM
.30 bore = 7.62 mm

9mm = .35 bore approx

.30 bore means .30 of an inch

Hamid
16-05-2009, 10:37 AM
@Amir,
Concerning the second part of your post, bigger bores have more power and hence they are good for self defence.

If it is mentioned on your licence that its for 30 bore licence you can't put 9mm over it unless you get the ammendment done by the arms branch of your respective city's DCO office.

Advice for future: Always keep your licence open i.e. dont let the authorities mention bore of the gun on it. In that way, you can buy any NPB weapon on the licence.

ay_be_why
16-05-2009, 02:10 PM
...Advice for future: Always keep your license open...

sir how do you do that? by just not filling in the bore/caliber part of the application form?

Hamid
16-05-2009, 02:20 PM
I told the weapon clerk to leave the field open. The clerk will ask you at the time of issuing licence that do you want it open.

Khalidsh
16-05-2009, 03:05 PM
My friend the license does not need to be mentioning the bore or calibre of the gun. usually its more like pistil/revolcer and rifle/shotgun. bore were supposed to be used long time back when there was on a max of 32 bore allowed in hand gun, 7mm in rifle and 12bore in shotgun. Now the things have changed it more like that I have mentioned in the start.

Khalidsh
16-05-2009, 03:08 PM
9mm and .45 calibres are more suitable for SD purpose as they tend to stop the person by the force of the bullet. While some people say TT that is .30 bore or 7.62mm is more stopable ammo, I tend to disagree with it. It wil not stop a person as being smaller in diameter and having more spin the bullet enters from one end and exits from the other if shot at closer range.
The main purpose of a bullet for SD is to stop a person from advancing and not killing. Thus a broader bullet will stay inside a person and from its force the person will be thrown down.

Conceal Carry
17-05-2009, 01:21 AM
...Advice for future: Always keep your license open...

sir how do you do that? by just not filling in the bore/caliber part of the application form?

just write "NPB"

Conceal Carry
17-05-2009, 01:26 AM
and from its force the person will be thrown down.

This is an urban myth more suited to hollywood movies, no handgun ammo is powerfull enough to knock down the person just by the impact of it. If a round is so powerfull that it can knock down the person on the receiving end, then according to laws of physics the person firing should also be thrown backwards.

AK47
17-05-2009, 01:41 AM
It again comes down to shot placement, whether if your object can get knocked down or not. Ball point bullets that we normally use are merely used for practice internationally, and Jhp's for SD, coz they have a tendency to stay within the object, unless they are very heavy grained. Something that penetrates easily also takes along with it the physical momentum that it carries, and thus less stopping power than that which stays inside or at least exits slower with greater expansion. The cal.30 has less grains but higher velocity, around 1400fps, whereas the 9mm has more grains yet lower velocity at around 11-1200 fps, and therefore should have more stopping power.

shakil83
21-05-2011, 10:50 PM
hi aamir u can not register .30 license as 9mm without necessary amendments made by ur Dco office.

HussainAli
22-05-2011, 12:18 AM
hi aamir u can not register .30 license as 9mm without necessary amendments made by ur Dco office.

Dear Shakil Bro, Wellcome to PakGuns and kindly update your location.

About register of your weapon if you Lic says "One NPB Only" then you can buy either of these at ine time. and change your weapon when ever you feel like..................after regular entries by dealer & DCO etc.

Hope this clear

Regards

Mustafa Khan
07-06-2011, 12:19 PM
in my license it is mention only Pistol so which gun should i purchase?

Avais
07-06-2011, 02:45 PM
@Sweetaamir4u Welcome and hope your licence would be for NPB Pistol, If so even if u have .30 on the licence u may replace it with 9mm

Tiger Roars
07-06-2011, 04:32 PM
@Denovo87; sir Weldon ..your briefing method is very good like ever....I am not much interested in pistols,,but today I understood well about difference in the bullets of 9mm & .30 Bore.

Secondly; "yeh bhi smaj agaiy hay kay "Mola Jaat' kyu nahi marta tha filmo may pura brust khanay kay baad bhi"....Because; bullets shot on him were low grains & high velocity....with poor stopping power....:o

Huzaifa
08-06-2011, 07:41 PM
@ Mustafa Khan: Dear brother you can purchase pistol (both 9mm or .30 bore)

Nisar
08-06-2011, 09:50 PM
@Denovo87; sir Weldon ..your briefing method is very good like ever....I am not much interested in pistols,,but today I understood well about difference in the bullets of 9mm & .30 Bore.

Secondly; "yeh bhi smaj agaiy hay kay "Mola Jaat' kyu nahi marta tha filmo may pura brust khanay kay baad bhi"....Because; bullets shot on him were low grains & high velocity....with poor stopping power....:o

Sir jee Denovo87 sahab kidhar hain?

Denovo87
08-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Sir jee Denovo87 sahab kidhar hain?

Will have to request AK47 bro to change his avatar ;) TR bro definitely mixed me up with AK's avatar.

Nisar
08-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Will have to request AK47 bro to change his avatar ;) TR bro definitely mixed me up with AK's avatar.

Yes this is due to the avator :) TR sahab bhi rawani main type kar gae

Skeeter60
10-06-2011, 01:29 PM
The TT 7.62 bullet is .310 in dia
The 9mm is .355 in dia
Once a medium is hit with a bullet it is the rate of de-celeration which causes damage. The higher the rate of de-celleration, more damage is the result .
There are many variables but to simplify, it depends whether the bullet hits a soft spot or dense muscles and bone also whether the bullet is soft point or hollow point etc etc. An expanding bullet will rapidly lose its velocity causing maximum damage.
The 9mm bullets usually fired are from 90 gr to 147 gr, and are shot at velocities ranging from 1500 ft /sec to 1080 ft/sec where as the TT bullet is 86 gr at velocity of 1410 ft/sec.( military load which are used over here )
The 9mm has about 20 to 25 % more energy and is a more lethal cartridge than the TT round. Both 9mm and .30 rds over penetrate a human torso when FMJs are used ; how ever when soft points are used the 30 round lacks authority in comparison with the 9mm.
These days more stress is on anti terror activity by forces around the world so over penetration is avoided and quicker incapacitating rounds get priority; hence the move over to larger calibers like the 9mm and 10mm, the .40 and the .45 ACP ( in the anti terror role the special forces use expanding bullets like Corbons, Glasers, and Black Talon or Golden Saber etc etc) as the Geneva convention does not apply to anti terror ops) The military have to use FMJs as per the Geneva convention in regular wars

Trigger_happy78
10-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Very well explained skeeter60 sir.

HussainAli
10-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Sir Skeeter60, Like always before, A real honor & pride /tons of understandable knowledge about the gauge & its velocity......

Wonderful, Sir "God Bless YOU", for showing the understandable path of "Fire Arms" school.

Regards

Leopard
21-06-2011, 01:26 AM
Bro Skeeter60,
Explained so well.
You really deserve above comments by Bro Hussain Ali.

Asiftt
22-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Despite the difference b/w dimensions of 0.3 bore and 9mm

9mm has more stopping power, 0.3 bore has more penetration. Many people agree to the better accuracy of 0.3 bore over 9mm by their practicle knowldge, this might be true because of the barrel length in 0.3 bore is mostly full barell i.e 5 inches but in 9mm we find more short barrels compact designs these days.
Accuracy is dependent on the barell length and gun structure, not the caliber i believe.

Abbas
22-06-2011, 04:40 PM
+1 Skeeter Sahib.

I am also adding pictures of both rounds to make it easier to understand for friends new to firearms. The one on the left is 9mm, the other .30 (7.62x25).

paki.gunner
07-10-2011, 04:22 AM
The TT 7.62 bullet is .310 in dia
The 9mm is .355 in dia
Once a medium is hit with a bullet it is the rate of de-celeration which causes damage. The higher the rate of de-celleration, more damage is the result .
There are many variables but to simplify, it depends whether the bullet hits a soft spot or dense muscles and bone also whether the bullet is soft point or hollow point etc etc. An expanding bullet will rapidly lose its velocity causing maximum damage.
The 9mm bullets usually fired are from 90 gr to 147 gr, and are shot at velocities ranging from 1500 ft /sec to 1080 ft/sec where as the TT bullet is 86 gr at velocity of 1410 ft/sec.( military load which are used over here )
The 9mm has about 20 to 25 % more energy and is a more lethal cartridge than the TT round. Both 9mm and .30 rds over penetrate a human torso when FMJs are used ; how ever when soft points are used the 30 round lacks authority in comparison with the 9mm.
These days more stress is on anti terror activity by forces around the world so over penetration is avoided and quicker incapacitating rounds get priority; hence the move over to larger calibers like the 9mm and 10mm, the .40 and the .45 ACP ( in the anti terror role the special forces use expanding bullets like Corbons, Glasers, and Black Talon or Golden Saber etc etc) as the Geneva convention does not apply to anti terror ops) The military have to use FMJs as per the Geneva convention in regular wars

@skeeter60

dude thats the best explanation on this topic anyone has ever gave me. you have answered my question i asked so many people in last 3 years. kindly accept my humble regards and appreciation.

HussainAli
07-10-2011, 11:34 AM
@skeeter60

dude thats the best explanation on this topic anyone has ever gave me. you have answered my question i asked so many people in last 3 years. kindly accept my humble regards and appreciation.

Dear Pak. Gunner Brother, (Just a advice off the Thread)

With all the respect & prior apology..........

"Sir Skeeter" is one of our National shooting Champion & and Great asset of our Country, along with this he is also a senior citizen.

And most of all a very good /great Teacher to all new comers in this Gun “Shooting” sports

Therefore; we as a nation & Gun Enthusiast always use a kind word "Sir" before his name...............

This is just a respect & love from us to our Great National Hero.

Regards

metalgear
11-10-2011, 02:25 PM
.30 bore and 9mm is a must have caliber for gun lovers

Asiftt
13-10-2011, 01:22 AM
+1 Skeeter Sahib.

I am also adding pictures of both rounds to make it easier to understand for friends new to firearms. The one on the left is 9mm, the other .30 (7.62x25).

Nice comparison Abbas Sb, its clears out most questions abt the difference. I need to know if the 30 cal bullets are avail in more than 100 gr?

Trajan
13-10-2011, 03:03 PM
To the already well described description here, i would add that the effectiveness of any bullet is not solely dependent on how quickly it stops and transfers all its kinetic energy into the 'target' but that is combined with how big of a hole the bullet makes and how far it travels within the target to cause permanent damage to vitals.

As an example, if a person is wearing bullet resistant vest with a hard armour plate and is shot with a handgun round. This person would keep standing and would be able to take the full force of the bullet impact fairly well. Even taking a handgun bullet while wearing an appropriate soft vest alone would also not cause grievous damage and most people would walk away with bruising. In both cases the bullet transferred all its energy in an instant to the wearer. So just the bullet energy from a handgun being transferred quickly alone does not cause all the damage.

It is widely accepted that an effective bullet should be able to consistently penetrate at least 12 inches of flesh. Good quality hollowpoint bullets offer 2x advantage in that they create a WIDER wound channel (as they expand) and they also avoid over-penetration.
However, manufacturers go to lengths to ensure that their bullets DO also penetrate significantly to reach vital organs (so they create deeper and wider wounds).

Umer Joyia
18-11-2013, 12:50 AM
Salam!! kindly help me.. I apply for 30 bore Arm Licience & what kinds of guns or pistols i can buy!!

Enigmatic Desires
18-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Salam!! kindly help me.. I apply for 30 bore Arm Licience & what kinds of guns or pistols i can buy!!

1st part of your question: It depends on which province U are in. In Sindh and Punjab U cant apply right now. Nor can U apply for all Pakistan MOI license.

And on a .30 u can only buy .30 calibre. However, if U get a pistol licence U can pretty much get anything from .22short to .44magnum

sulzar
18-11-2013, 10:48 PM
1st part of your question: It depends on which province U are in. In Sindh and Punjab U cant apply right now. Nor can U apply for all Pakistan MOI license.

And on a .30 u can only buy .30 calibre. However, if U get a pistol licence U can pretty much get anything from .22short to .44magnum
ED bro Do license have bore ? Aren't they say ..Pistol .... Revolver...Shot Gun ... Rifle ...... and you can get any NBP ?

Enigmatic Desires
20-11-2013, 03:34 PM
ED bro Do license have bore ? Aren't they say ..Pistol .... Revolver...Shot Gun ... Rifle ...... and you can get any NBP ?

Yes. But there was a time when licenses mentioned calibre as well. E.g .30 bore would mean that only .30 calibre weapon can be purchased. Otherwise U would have to send it to hte Home department for change in calibre.

it was a nifty little way of making some extra money for the agents.