PDA

View Full Version : How to Prevent 22LR Ricochet

Birdshooter007
19-02-2012, 09:58 PM
I was wondering how can I shoot at home safety at a distance of say 15 yards. What should I keep in front of walls (a Metal block?). The targets would be posted on that object, and it should prevent ricochet. What should be the dimensions? Would a 1 foot wide piece of wood be ok?
Thanks.

Wolf Hunter
19-02-2012, 10:17 PM
First of all I would request you you postpone the idea of firing at home premises.Firing on the roofs in general and within house premises in particular is not acceptable because it is extremely dangerous.Rechochet bullets have no specified direction and sometime more lethal than the originally fired bullet.
But if you live in or want to fire some where in rural side then the walls should mud made like in villages as such walls will abosrb the bullets instead of rechochet other wise use sandbags.

Faisji
19-02-2012, 10:19 PM
I was wondering how can I shoot at home safety at a distance of say 15 yards. What should I keep in front of walls (a Metal block?). The targets would be posted on that object, and it should prevent ricochet. What should be the dimensions? Would a 1 foot wide piece of wood be ok?
Thanks.

if possible don't shoot a rifle at that close distance.

Make the back stop with wood pieces or box filled with wet newspaper.Don't practice with you target on an extremely hard backstop like brick or metal, because this will cause ricochet, make a backstop out of a mound of loose dirt or wood boards, so the bullet will slow down and stop it from ricocheting off of harder objects.

22 Lr rounds ricochet a lot from hard backstops and can cause injury at shot distances like the one you are planning on using.

Birdshooter007
19-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, will consider them.

@Wolf Hunter
Not on the rooftop, but I have ample of vacant space in my backyard, so was thinking of a way to stop bullets before they cause damage to boundary walls if I zero my gun at home and some occasional plinking.

I think I'll use wet newspapers backed by blocks of wood.

Denovo87
19-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Try googling bullet trap; I am sure you will find info on how to make one for .22lr; they by the way are available ready made but getting them online will be a problem.

Skeeter60
20-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Take a wooden crate and fill it with sand it would be good for .22 and pistol calibers when used moderately.
Another option is to use tires, take a bamboo pole fix it in the ground and place old tyres around it then fill with sand, then add more tires to take to desired height, make a row and then make a second row behind the first row this time staggering it so the gap between the tires of the first row is covered.
This arrangement can take heavy duty firing from all calibers upto 7.62 X51 or G3 etc.
This is a favourite method used all over the world by Law enforcement and special forces as the tire arrangement can be easily modified according to requirement.
This how ever is labour intensive but very safe and a very heavy duty.

Nazim Sahib
20-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Take a wooden crate and fill it with sand it would be good for .22 and pistol calibers when used moderately.
Another option is to use tires, take a bamboo pole fix it in the ground and place old tyres around it then fill with sand, then add more tires to take to desired height, make a row and then make a second row behind the first row this time staggering it so the gap between the tires of the first row is covered.
This arrangement can take heavy duty firing from all calibers upto 7.62 X51 or G3 etc.
This is a favourite method used all over the world by Law enforcement and special forces as the tire arrangement can be easily modified according to requirement.
This how ever is labour intensive but very safe and a very heavy duty.

Very usefull,thx Skeeter!

gunenthusiast
20-02-2012, 10:20 AM
practising at home at any distances is not safe for the residents as well as neighbours.It should be avoided at all costs.

Birdshooter007
20-02-2012, 03:48 PM
practising at home at any distances is not safe for the residents as well as neighbours.It should be avoided at all costs.
Yeah that's why I have started this thread-to get info on how to stop bullets in their tracks.. What if you don't have any neighbors in the direction you're shooting, and there's no resident standing at that side and the bullet stops in the sand sacks?

Omkhan
20-02-2012, 05:10 PM
There is a dealer here in khi who has made some arrangements to test fire pistol/ rifle in a confined place. I liked the idea very much. According to him he spent 700K on this soundproof/ bullet proof area. The area is 3' in width and around 15' in length. The backstop is of sand with large truck tyres cut and pasted flat on the concrete wall. The side walls and roof have some stuffy material to suppress the sound. I havent fired there or know how much sound it absorbs but its a great thing to have in ones house.

durrani
20-02-2012, 07:58 PM
I like the idea of tyres will stop the projectile for sure. What can we do about sound...

Birdshooter007
20-02-2012, 08:20 PM
22LR has literally as much sound as my Diana 350 Magnum Springer Air rifle, so no worries.

Thanks Skeeter Sir for the tips, will work on em... :)

Masroor
30-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Chauhdary Br Becarefull about shooting at home. Skeeter br give you well tips. But Safety first Dear............