PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Gun with Hot Water ?

Topak
09-05-2009, 02:38 PM
hi all.
i think you will laugh or at least smile to read this(may be ;) )
my gunsmith says he clean his rifle by hot water (he bath his gun
) then dry it and apply oil after this he clean all the oil.
i was shocked to hear this. :rolleyes:
wot you think he is telling true or just joking... :|

Balazona
09-05-2009, 04:13 PM
U need to clean ur rifle or handgun barrel with hot boiling water after firing corrosive ammunition.just search forum for corrosive ammo defination.

Ka_Khan
09-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Nothing to laugh topak.It has been discussed in various threads of Guns maintainence.You can wash your gun in hot water after removing plastic/wooden parts.But you have to rinse it and remove every drop of water after that.Apply some oil and your gun is ready.

BloodBath
09-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Hi Topaq !

It was a standard operating procedure in Pakistan Army like other Armies. After firing boiling hotwater was put in the barrel from the muzzel's side after that the weapon was dried like hell and oiled. The practice was done to remove water soluble impurities. The gun powder decomposes into both water soluble and oil soluble reredue..while oil does a good job in removing the oil soluble impurities it does not dissolve logically the water soluble compounds for the same reason water was used. The practise was discontinued due to two main reasons one was the invent of better cleaning oils which did a good job on water soluble compounds as well. The other reason was rusting of weapons due to negligence in drying the weapons after the water treatment. Anyways After every 200 rouns handgun barrels must be cleaned with a CLP based /type cleaning compound or just boiled in the kitchen in your mama's rice pan. :)

Regards

Blood Bath

Khalidsh
10-05-2009, 01:48 AM
I agree with you guys as my uncle who served in the army always use to tell me to do the same procedure specially with the rifles. Didnt knew the theory behind it but I followed the procedure everytime we use to come back from range or farm.

SAJJAD ALI
22-05-2009, 02:40 AM
i think petrol would be the best opyion for cleaning the barrel or etc.because petrol avaporate in the air in few mintes

Topak
22-05-2009, 05:46 PM
i think petrol would be the best opyion for cleaning the barrel or etc.because petrol avaporate in the air in few mintes
did some one tried it before ?

MHH
23-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Dear Topak AOA I am cleaning my fathers weapons under his supervision by using same procedure which he learnt in army and nothing bad has ever happened. One thing is important that drying should be through by using a home hair dryer or under sun.

Regards
MHH

12GAUGE
23-02-2010, 10:06 AM
AoA Everybody

this practice of cleaning the barrel with hot water bath was widely practiced in the days when only the corrosive ammo was used in the firearms industry. hot water bath is very effective against the corrosive reside that literally eats the metal away. after hot water bath it is customary to use some sort of water displacing agent such as kerosene or diesel to remove any traces of water from the firearm.

with the advent of non corrosive ammo, this practice became obsolete.

why hot water?

well.. the chief component of corrosive ammo is potassium chlorate which after oxidizing (burning) turns into potassium chloride which is a salt. itself it is harmless but it is severely hydroscopic. it absorbs hydrogen and oxygen from the air and creates a chemical reaction that rapidly rusts the steel.

now since it is hydroscopic, it absorbs moisture, loves water, that means totally soluble in water, the best way to remove it is to flush/dunk it in water. water will rapidly dissolve any traces of it.

Regards.

Skeeter60
23-02-2010, 10:44 AM
12 gauge very good info.
Add to it the mercuric chloride which is used in the cheap No 2 desi primers and is extremely corrosive, this is why the army used hot water and soap solution to clean weapons and barrels, the soapy water washes away the cloride as it disolves it. The water should be nearly boiling and finally a clear boiling water washing is necessary to clear the soap. Nearly boiling hot water is essential as the barrel and parts of the weapon dry out immediately with the residual heat as the water evaporates due to it. This practice was discontinued in 1970 as Mercuric primers were done away with and lead styphanate and lead azide are now being used.
After washing with hot water use a good CLP, cleaner , preservative and lubricant to the weapon. With modern original primers this is not required

12GAUGE
23-02-2010, 10:52 AM

I beg to disagree. if you want to use a petroleum based solvent, the best is to use kerosene or diesel fuel. petrol evaporates too quickly to offer any decent solvency.

kerosene is a good solvent with mild evaporation rate. diesel is better only (IMHO) if used as a sole cleaner as it leaves behind a little amount of lubrication and doesn't leave the metal bone dry as kerosene does.

Regards.

Skeeter60
23-02-2010, 11:01 AM
By the way water is not poured down a rifle barrel, the proper procedure is to pour boiling water in a metalic trough and then take a cleaning rod with a tight fitting patch and insert the patch /rod from the breach and dip the muzzle in the water as you push and pull the rod the hot water is sucked in like a syringe and the scrubbing action removes the mercuric chloride. The propellants are practically still the same as these were in 1890s unless some desi home made concoction is used. The heat self dries the barrel and weapon parts.

mehranbiz
01-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Whats about the IMPORTED WHITE OIL its perolium product but often use in making Halwa puri, samosa, pakora etc, there are two grades one is smell less and used as food oil in our country, The other one is not well purified and used as sewing machine oil
Available at chemical shops Kutchi Gali/Napier road near medicine market in karachi..

Skeeter60
01-03-2010, 12:52 AM
The mercuric primer residue is water solvent and it does not get removed by any oil based solvent, that is why the hot water was used in the days of corrosive primers

Arslan_tareen
01-03-2010, 03:42 AM
ok this must be a long shot , but what about kerosene oil (mitti ka tail) its has the acidic properties to remove water based solvents as on of our Gun cleaner use to say that all he need to clean any gun is Kerosene oil , hand kerchief, and a old tooth bursh . Also i a good use of wd-40 could do it , i mean many people miss concept it as a normal rust remover but actually it could do much more then that when it was invented WD-40 was first used by Convair (USA) to protect the outer skin of the Atlas missile from rust and corrosion. it was invented to remove water from the surface and was considered a first solvent which actually remove water from a surface and in doing that all water based solvents .

Arslan_tareen
01-03-2010, 03:45 AM
Oh and guys just a caution before any one try to boil your barrel in water also remember that you guns Bluing will be in high danger !!

Engineeer
25-03-2010, 10:37 AM
@ topak there is nothing to laugh at this very very effective to clean wd water. i am doing it for last 25 years and good results. hot water evaporates more quickely then petrol. mind u never use petrol as it leaves chemicals on surface and results in spots etc. u found wise gunsmith dear.

KARTOOS
16-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Good Share

Ahsan Tauheed
30-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Salam to all my Bros. A interesting topic, here are some suggestion from my side:-

First of all the hot water cleaning is a very old procedure for cleaning the arms however it is done in old days by army's armourer or etc due to unavailability of wd-40 type oils. The weapons in the old days are not that much fancy and coloured like now a days. they are rough and tough and for that reason they have no such issues of getting your arms in rust/colour damaging etc. However in todays world kind of weapons we held are coloured/chrome and absorves the water qucikly if it is hot especially, because they are coloured/chrome in hot process and gets weak in same procedure very much resultantly can lead you in trouble of getting your arms colour/chrome deffective.

Such practice is only recommended by me in case when your weapon stored long ago at some place, have very much of rust and dirt on it and you find much difficult to clean/polish it through modern and much effective cleaning oils.

SPAYPANTHER
30-04-2010, 02:07 PM
@ahsan
I am sooooo confused as some of our expert prefer to use hot water…

Ahsan Tauheed
30-04-2010, 03:09 PM
@ahsan

Bros. Dont get confused as the weapon is your and you have right to do any thing with it but just wants to let the topic's other direction also. Just think from your mind that is it better to put your gun under water after having all that expensive cleaning oils, without considering the fact that polish/Chrome could also be damage. You or i think all the other members tries to save their gun from water dust and humidity due to the above said reason but here you are putting it under water due to much cleaning prospectives.

Sparticas
04-05-2010, 01:41 PM
But know a days as we all know there are alot of modern and much useful oils available in the market so why to clean it with the water, bothers save your guns from water....

Ahsan Tauheed
04-05-2010, 02:47 PM
100% agreed from you Brother, as now a days technology has come and dont try to put your most needy and special thing in any kind of trouble plz.

But know a days as we all know there are alot of modern and much useful oils available in the market so why to clean it with the water, bothers save your guns from water....

Abu Al Hawl
04-05-2010, 03:15 PM
@ahsan

Bros. Dont get confused as the weapon is your and you have right to do any thing with it but just wants to let the topic's other direction also. Just think from your mind that is it better to put your gun under water after having all that expensive cleaning oils, without considering the fact that polish/Chrome could also be damage. You or i think all the other members tries to save their gun from water dust and humidity due to the above said reason but here you are putting it under water due to much cleaning prospectives.

nothing happens to chrome/polish! specially cleaning barrel with using sweet hot water is good, not saline water!

Ahsan Tauheed
04-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Bro! as far as barrel is concerned im with you but in case of body of your handgun doesn't agreed with you plz explain your philosiphy if it is good for the body also.

@ahsan

nothing happens to chrome/polish! specially cleaning barrel with using sweet hot water is good, not saline water!

SPAYPANTHER
04-05-2010, 10:38 PM
@Abu Al Hawl

waitig for your reply boss...

Ahsan Tauheed
05-05-2010, 11:51 AM
@Abu Al Hawl

waitig for your reply boss...

Mee tooooo waitinggggg for his answer Bro ! and theory behind the cleaning matter from water. :P

Abu Al Hawl
05-05-2010, 12:07 PM
i would not suggest to bath the body with hot water, cleaning just barrel with hot sweet water is an easy process to get rid of residue, than after wards dry the barrel properly and oil it.

Ahsan Tauheed
05-05-2010, 02:00 PM
i would not suggest to bath the body with hot water, cleaning just barrel with hot sweet water is an easy process to get rid of residue, than after wards dry the barrel properly and oil it.

I think that is what me and my freins spaypanther brother trying to say that it will be bad for body and its colour of arms, but respectedly sir! you insist that nothing will happen to chrome/polish. any ways nice to have chat with you about your experience please.

Abu Al Hawl
05-05-2010, 03:05 PM
dear ive been washing my Rolex watch with tap water, since a decade and it shine like any thing, you know corrosion comes with salty climax or saline water and polusion, it has got nothing to do with water, once there was friend of mine who was working for Atlas Honda, i saw a service note there it says " if you want to avoid your motor bike to be corroded, service it with sweet water. why i dont recommend to wash body with water because its difficult to dry its inners.

Ahsan Tauheed
05-05-2010, 03:13 PM
dear ive been washing my Rolex watch with tap water, since a decade and it shine like any thing, you know corrosion comes with salty climax or saline water and polusion, it has got nothing to do with water, once there was friend of mine who was working for Atlas Honda, i saw a service note there it says " if you want to avoid your motor bike to be corroded, service it with sweet water. why i dont recommend to wash body with water because its difficult to dry its inners.

Yes Bro! but it is in case when you got your piece rusted and dont have much space or type of tool to let it be cleaned. However the method which hot water do to clean a piece is also the same for the chrome/polish of arms. I hope you could understand what im trying to say.

SPAYPANTHER
05-05-2010, 03:14 PM
hmmm good reply by AAH :)

Ahsan Tauheed
05-05-2010, 03:50 PM
hmmm good reply by AAH :)

Thanks Bro! for your understanding and hospitality, will always be a pleasure for me to have a chat and nice discussion from ppl like you Bro!

Abu Al Hawl
05-05-2010, 03:58 PM
you are always welcome brother!

Ahsan Tauheed
05-05-2010, 04:18 PM
you are always welcome brother!

Bros ! if u dont mind i had asked you for an answer please, which yet not been given by you. Please read the above replies by me and Our Bro SpyPanther and oblige.

zeehaider82
29-09-2010, 11:51 PM
The practice of cleaning the firearms with the hot water is not applicable to the weapons. The reason behind this is that MP5A2 get rusted if ceaned with hot water. So be carefull.