PDA

View Full Version : Problem and Solution (I guess)

Birdshooter007
25-12-2011, 04:05 PM
AOA everybody,
This Friday I went dove hunting, and unfortunately was scoreless. The next day I tried culling some crows/kites but was missing simply every shot. This missing had been going on since a month or so, when my stock of other imported pellets ran out.... and I was just relying on Gamo Pro Mags bought from Pindi. These pellets are totally rubbish, no doubt. I have done a brief review on them too, too lazy to post the link here, but you can scroll down my threads if interested in reading it. Not a big fan of punching paper, finally today I decided to punch some... oh yeah, I did some target shooting yesterday too, but the pellets were dispersed all over the A4 sheet of paper.
Don't know of the airgun is zeroed or not, probably slight error remains, but I'll get that done once I get hold on some good imported pellets. I shot many pellets without clicking the 'slight adjustment screws or whatever they are called' just to see the grouping at 10 yards. I am not using a scope, but am going to get one soon.
I was shocked after shooting about 50 pellets or so and seeing that even 2 consistent shots weren't grouping together. One would go too above the center, the next too right, one would be near the center, and so on (I mean I was getting +6 inch groups at 10 yards)... At this point I was thinking about the deep trouble I was stuck in. Then opened my inventory to see if any other pellets were left, just had those stupid H&N Rabbit Magnum II pellets (24.69 grains) which are too heavy and in-accurate. Borrowed a few Crosman Copperhead Wadcutters from my brother, and started punching some paper again... This time I was quite relieved with the results achieved. Though I was not shooting very carefully, just checking the grouping, shot 8 pellets and they grouped quite well (of course there was some human error). After this I tested my H&N rabbit mags, the grouping was again similar to the rubbish named 'Gamo pro magnums', all disperesed over the target and about half a feet under the center of the intended target. I have also written a brief writeup on these pellets a couple of months ago, describing them and their lack of accuracy.
Well here are the pics;
Diana RWS 350 MAGNUM (Classic/Feuerkraft)
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb399/B77W/TargetSHooting001.jpg
The setup
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb399/B77W/TargetSHooting003.jpg
None other than the rubbish, Gamo P.Ms
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb399/B77W/TargetSHooting002.jpg
The groups on the left are with a the 350, on the right with my Rainbow 35, both not exactly zeroed, just to see the groupings, majority of the ones going out of the circles being the Rainbow 35 shots.
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb399/B77W/TargetSHooting004.jpg
350's scattered shots
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb399/B77W/TargetSHooting005.jpg
Another target
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb399/B77W/TargetSHooting006.jpg
The other side of it
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb399/B77W/TargetSHooting007.jpg
Here we've got the irregular grouping of Rabbit Magnum pellets.. I aimed for the en-circled target, but we can see where the holes were punched (encircled as well).
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb399/B77W/TargetSHooting008.jpg
And we've also got a 8 shot group of the Crosman wadcutters, much compact group, My hands were shaking while shooting [because I was shooting casually] a bit but still got a reasonable group.
Could've been much better. I'll zero my gun with these tomorrow InshAllah.
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb399/B77W/TargetSHooting009.jpg
The holes created by the wadcutters were neater than the others, and the ricochet
I need to know the exact problem.... What I have guessed is that the pellets I use (Gamo Pro Mags) are the cause. There is no choice in the market except Irani, Gamo Match and Pro magnums, the Irani ones and Gamo P.Ms being illegible for powerful airguns, they only choice left is Gamo Match. Will try those in a couple of days. The only solution to this problem is getting different top-end pellets and checking them for accuracy in each of your air-rifles, and stock up the best (in terms of accuracy)... Don't know whether this is feasible because you won't often go abroad for these and relatives won't be arriving every month.
Will Crosman Premier hollow points and domed pellets give me more accuracy, because I'm about to order them from USA. And where are imported pellets available in Pk, other than Gamos.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

khan Hamdan
25-12-2011, 07:41 PM
dear plzz contact me its a detail theory soo i can tell you....

SalmanHusain
25-12-2011, 07:43 PM
rarely!!! and yes Gamo has dropped its quality to very low. rarely diana is available(karachi) but is very expensive.

SHOTGUNNER
25-12-2011, 08:02 PM
chauhadry bro i think this is might be a pellet.it can,t be air gun as you said it was accurate with other pellets.gamo pellets might not good for your air gun they probable work fine in other air gun.it,s best to use what ever you been using or try to get different make and weight pellets and try them then stick to what ever suits your air gun.

Birdshooter007
25-12-2011, 08:03 PM
How much does a tin of Diana pellets cost in Karachi, and does it have 500? Are those Diana Magnums?

Birdshooter007
25-12-2011, 08:06 PM
chauhadry bro i think this is might be a pellet.it can,t be air gun as you said it was accurate with other pellets.gamo pellets might not good for your air gun they probable work fine in other air gun.it,s best to use what ever you been using or try to get different make and weight pellets and try them then stick to what ever suits your air gun.
That's right, this was the problem. Sad part is that no other imported pellet is available in the market, and the local and Irani ones are illegible for it.

SalmanHusain
25-12-2011, 08:18 PM
lol!! you even think of using irani/afghani diablo. i have long stopped even thinking about these. and the relative thing is soo complicated that the one who would bring pellet from abroad wouldn't take money and those who would take money dont bring pellet neither they know anything about airguns :( it feels like stranded on an island.

khan Hamdan
25-12-2011, 09:42 PM
i am using Diana 350 magnum panther with 100% result in H&N Baracuda pellets which are world class pellets

Birdshooter007
25-12-2011, 10:26 PM
i am using Diana 350 magnum panther with 100% result in H&N Baracuda pellets which are world class pellets
The problem arose when I started using the newer Gamo P.Ms and they suck S***. The Rabbit Magnum II's are just stupid, I read reviews.

armoured
25-12-2011, 10:35 PM
That's right, this was the problem. Sad part is that no other imported pellet is available in the market, and the local and Irani ones are illegible for it.

About the Pro Mags, you are right. Quality has dropped too much ever since the packing has been changed. But even more important is to understand that how are you holding your airgun? Are you using the artillery hold?

Birdshooter007
25-12-2011, 11:04 PM
About the Pro Mags, you are right. Quality has dropped too much ever since the packing has been changed. But even more important is to understand that how are you holding your airgun? Are you using the artillery hold?
Yes, I'm holding it as loosely as I can, without pushing it against my shoulder, rested on a pillow, concentration on the target, and squeezing the trigger gently, trying not to hold the gun tightly and letting it recoil freely. The groups with the Crosman Copperheads were in the right direction, just need to concentrate a bit, wasn't doing that today.

And please check your mail.
Thanks.

EDIT: Ahh.... didn't know the exact word "Artillery Hold", thanks for reminding me. Now that I have searched, I've found some things which have to be corrected, maybe one or two.

armoured
26-12-2011, 12:06 AM
For the group of 1-2", if you can get this at 15 yards, only then its good. The chest size of a dove is not more than this...

Another common problem we all make is that we sight in our guns on horizontal targets, and while aiming at the birds on wires, we do not cater in the drop which will be more due to the elevation. It has happened to me many times that I keep missing the same bird again & again, and pellets are so stupidly dispersed that the bird doesn't even realize that its being shot at.

And do note that if you are able to hit bulls eye with a match pellet, Pro mags will still be missing, as each pellet type has its own physics involved, and trajectories are never the same. So you have to make sure that your gun is at perfect "zero" for the pellet which you will be using during the hunting.

Since you are using 350 Mag, if you can get good results with match pellets on paper, knocking birds off will get fun as there is too much power in the pellet fired by a 350 mag. If I can get a dove fall like a mango at 20 yards with match pellet fired from my Mod. 35, I hope that you should be able to get a match pellet through the dove at this distance.

Hope this was informative..

Birdshooter007
26-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Yeah it was informative, and I'm inclined towards using Gamo Match pellets for dove shooting, though I doubt they'll be any better. I have about a 100 Crosman Copperhead 14.3 grain Wadcutters, they're decently accurate, and have ample of power to knock down a dove over 40 yards, but I think I'll need a scope at that range :)

p.s appreciate all inputs here.
Thanks.

Birdshooter007
27-12-2011, 12:24 PM
@All

Used Gamo Match pellets today, quality was not up to the mark, but it was like 90%, the pro magnums being around 30%.... This means they are of some good, not like the pro mags. I can take the 10% defect, doesn't significantly matter to me at least. At 10 yards, reasonable groupings, some casual plinking-got the required result. Overall I'm satisfied for now- Until my other imported pellets arrive ONLY. Shot doves with crosman copperhead wadcutters today, still over-penetration, but brutal impact on the doves. Loving shooting the air-rifle, after that vain effort with Gamo Pro Magnums (aka RUBBISH)....
Really really Happy!

Birdshooter007
27-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Update: I was achieving decent groups at 10 yards with Gamo Match pellets, but was simply missing everything in the field which was +10 yards, what should I do now.
Does the solution lie in shooting heavier pellets, or simply some other quality pellets (Gamos are rubbish)?

SHIEKH TARIQ UK
27-12-2011, 09:10 PM
SALAM BAHI SAAB.
Is it possible for you to send me your address and i will send you some good pellets from UK.
my email address is in my profile.thankyou.
SH TARIQ UK.

Birdshooter007
27-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Oh.... Thank you so much for your courtesy. But couldn't find your email address on your profile!
Regards.

Birdshooter007
27-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Or you could just write Hi at **********@gmail.com, I'll reply ASAP.

SHIEKH TARIQ UK
29-12-2011, 05:29 PM
SALAM BAHI.
CHAUHADRY SAAB thankyou for accepting my offer.i have defiants and jsb in stock so will post them.SH TARIQ UK.

Birdshooter007
29-12-2011, 06:12 PM
All thanks to you, not me :D

armoured
29-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Chauhadry Bro,

I was wondering if you use glasses?

Birdshooter007
29-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Chauhadry Bro,

I was wondering if you use glasses?
Yes, optical glasses. WHY?

armoured
30-12-2011, 09:54 AM
I myself use glasses, -0.25/-0.5 (R/L), so not very bad with a very small number. While shooting with my airgun without scope, I have noticed that I perform better without my glasses. Not sure what is the reason.....

Birdshooter007
30-12-2011, 11:46 AM
I myself use glasses, -0.25/-0.5 (R/L), so not very bad with a very small number. While shooting with my airgun without scope, I have noticed that I perform better without my glasses. Not sure what is the reason.....
I see... No, I'm ok shooting with them on.

armoured
30-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Plus your shadow in the pictures depicts that you wear glasses :D

SHIEKH TARIQ UK
31-12-2011, 04:21 AM
SALAM CHAUHADRY SAAB.
I think you should wait a few days and when you get the defiants pellets then you will really know how good you are at shooting.
SH TARIQ UK.

Birdshooter007
31-12-2011, 11:10 AM
SALAM CHAUHADRY SAAB.
I think you should wait a few days and when you get the defiants pellets then you will really know how good you are at shooting.
SH TARIQ UK.
Thanks for those..
And I'm not really interested in target shooting, just do this activity when my gun has to be zeroed. Otherwise I'm a keen hunter, with shotgun and airgun. Good pellets should ensure I get atleast 9/10 birds :) .

SHOTGUNNER
31-12-2011, 06:17 PM
chauhadry bro when you get the pallets up date us the result you have with those.

Birdshooter007
31-12-2011, 06:43 PM
chauhadry bro when you get the pallets up date us the result you have with those.
Yup, I'll post groups @10 and 15 yards, plus some more hunting. BTW I just noticed your name has changed!