PDA

View Full Version : mysterious scar in the bore of the rifle

zainulabdeen
09-12-2011, 11:27 PM
i belong to the area which comprises of the arid zone also. the last summer"s torrential rains played havoc with our area. it was a complete devastation . the calamity hit the humans and wild alike . i saw wild bores crossing just near the human dwellings and relief camps silently. but neither of them paid any heed to each other . i was even told by some people who remained stranded at tree tops for several days that they saw snakes lurking nearby , but it seems that they forgot to sting. each species was thinking to save its life.
after the rain stopped and severity of situation mitigated a bit, millions of insects appeared from no where which were never known to us . it was just as the aftershocks after the quake has jolted the earth and every body knows that after shocks are deadlier than the earthquake itself.
during those days one mysterious problem started to bother the gun owners of my area . they suddenly come to know about the presence of an ugly scar inside the barrels of their weapons, specially rifles. i saw a few of the rifles myself. the scar was really really ugly looking. the barrels were ruined. not worth keeping by any serious gun enthusiast any more . there were many speculations . some were attributing it it to the excessive humidity , some one was holding his son responsible for less care of the gun and other was holding faulty material in gun making as a culprit and was blaming the dealer to supply him a darra made rifle but i was not satisfied as the guns were different but the problem was same . i thought a lot but the mystery would not solve.
Though I was away from my area and busy with my job but I was constantly in touch with my people and when ever I find a room, I rushed to my village and on each and every trip I asked about the matter but there was no remedy even the scattered cases were reported. People were frustrated on loosing their weapons in this way.
Few days back I got some days space to live at my native village . I took my German made rifle and field stripped it with a view to clean it. I use to clean my weapons even they do not need it as it is my favorite time pass and I enjoy it thoroughly . as usual , I took the barrel and tried to peep through it just to see the condition of the barrel and chrome but couldnít see through completely . it was partially choked . I was shocked to see the barrel of my gun chocked in this way. I tried to open it by using WD 40 but it didnít work, some thing was badly stuck inside the barrel. I tried a thin and soft plastic rod to remove the obstruction. Slowly the rod penetrated the obstruction and than there it came down barrel . it was a tiny nest of some small hornet like insect made from mud containing its tiny larva hardly visible .. the culprit which ruin many fine guns in our area was trapped . the owners fired the guns without knowing that there is insects nest made of mud containing the larva in the barrel. that insect was not known in this area before thus no body could ever think any insect nesting in the bore of a rifle . I told the news to every person I know in my area and advised then to cap the barrels of their guns with appropriate covers and caps. If some body donít have any thing suitable , the filter of a new cigarette would work .
It is always good to follow the gun safety rules and one of them is to ascertain and see that the barrel/ bore of ur gun is free from each and every obstruction , before u fire ur weapon

Canik
10-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Its really mysterious. And also an amazing thing.
But how this can happen. Really interested.

AK47
10-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Great share of personal experience ZainulAbdeen bro, and great detection too of the culprit involved.

And yes, "mysterious" indeed, no doubts.

The problem having been most common in your area, is simply because the general lot of people keeping guns there in that territory have a habit of keeping them "stand by", loaded and openly placed in any corner of the room, hence unprotected. I know the culture.

A gun cover is the simple remedy, or - as you mentioned yourself - a cigarette filter, piece of cloth, etc, if you're keeping the gun open. Absolutely right, a gun should always be checked before use.

May I just say, I"ve had pretty bad experience with bugs also, though not in my guns, but I've noted, exactly bugs are responsible for quite a number of those scratches you find on odd spots of your car, where there's no chance that any metallic object could have been rubbed against. Usually these scratches would be "straight", 2-6 inches long and found on especially the roof of the car. I cannot explain what exactly happens, but this is my observation.

Regards.

Canik
10-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Great share of personal experience ZainulAbdeen bro, and great detection too of the culprit involved.

And yes, "mysterious" indeed, no doubts.

The problem having been most common in your area, is simply because the general lot of people keeping guns there in that territory have a habit of keeping them "stand by", loaded and openly placed in any corner of the room, hence unprotected. I know the culture.

A gun cover is the simple remedy, or - as you mentioned yourself - a cigarette filter, piece of cloth, etc, if you're keeping the gun open. Absolutely right, a gun should always be checked before use.

May I just say, I"ve had pretty bad experience with bugs also, though not in my guns, but I've noted, exactly bugs are responsible for quite a number of those scratches you find on odd spots of your car, where there's no chance that any metallic object could have been rubbed against. Usually these scratches would be "straight", 2-6 inches long and found on especially the roof of the car. I cannot explain what exactly happens, but this is my observation.

Regards.

ak bro.
Sounds good

Denovo87
10-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Looks simple case of using oil/lubricant having lot of protein n fat in it. Zain bro; I will suggest to try finding what exactly the owners been using, also try disassembling the action of one or two of these effected guns to see if anything similar been living in there?

taha
10-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks for sharing this post!

...May I just say, I"ve had pretty bad experience with bugs also, though not in my guns, but I've noted, exactly bugs are responsible for quite a number of those scratches you find on odd spots of your car, where there's no chance that any metallic object could have been rubbed against. Usually these scratches would be "straight", 2-6 inches long and found on especially the roof of the car. I cannot explain what exactly happens, but this is my observation....
Could they be because of cat scratches?

AK47
10-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks for sharing this post!

Could they be because of cat scratches?

No, I've been observing of everything. Cat scratches are not necessarily "straight", can be any form. Also, my car is in "cat-proof" area.

@Denovo bro.............Indeed you're a "doctor" Sir! I hope the people over there didn't use "DESI GHEE" for the lubrication purposes, lolz!

In any case, point is, if the gun is covered, that should be safety enough, lest one never cares to do routine checks/cleaning. Mostly people use plain sewing machine oil.

Regards.

taha
10-12-2011, 01:03 PM
No, I've been observing of everything. Cat scratches are not necessarily "straight", can be any form. Also, my car is in "cat-proof" area...

Of course while I respect your assessment, can I ask how can one make an area cat proof?

zainulabdeen
10-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Looks simple case of using oil/lubricant having lot of protein n fat in it. Zain bro; I will suggest to try finding what exactly the owners been using, also try disassembling the action of one or two of these effected guns to see if anything similar been living in there?
thanks brother den . i think the rest of gun owners were not lucky enough to see through the barrels/ bores of their guns, they fired their weapons not knowing the existence of insect nest made from dry mud inside the barrel. wat i presume is that such comb/nest would have burnt at very high temperature inside the barrel and and u know if raw mud is burnt at high temperature , it is transformed in to clay as happens in brick clans . And if it happens in a very narrow place like a barrel, made of chrome plated steel , in presence of high temperature and intensively pressurized gasses trapped between nest of mud , grooves and lands of barrels, so i can not rule out any chemical reaction causing damage to the shining of barrel/ bore. beside , the larva of the insects were also nothing but protein , of course before being burnt to ashes. my gun was saved as it was not fired and yes , after we have started to cap the muzzles of our weapons, no further case of such nature is reported to any gun with a covered / capped muzzle

Denovo87
10-12-2011, 01:09 PM
No, I've been observing of everything. Cat scratches are not necessarily "straight", can be any form. Also, my car is in "cat-proof" area.

@Denovo bro.............Indeed you're a "doctor" Sir! I hope the people over there didn't use "DESI GHEE" for the lubrication purposes, lolz!

In any case, point is, if the gun is covered, that should be safety enough, lest one never cares to do routine checks/cleaning. Mostly people use plain sewing machine oil.

Regards.

AK bro; Sewing machine oil is a general term, they are available in the market made by different chemists using their very KHANDANI NUSKHA's & unfortunately most of these NUSKHA JAAT contain vegetable or animal fats... and one more correction; you never can stop organisms growing by plugging the barrel or covering the gun, you rather be giving them most favorable condition to grow ;) best thing is to select cleaners & lubricants that specifically are made for that purpose & machine oils are no way made to lubricate your barrel (I mean your gun's ;) ) .

Canik
10-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Of course while I respect your assessment, can I ask how can one make an area cat proof?

Use covered car parking...

zainulabdeen
10-12-2011, 03:09 PM
AK bro; Sewing machine oil is a general term, they are available in the market made by different chemists using their very KHANDANI NUSKHA's & unfortunately most of these NUSKHA JAAT contain vegetable or animal fats... and one more correction; you never can stop organisms growing by plugging the barrel or covering the gun, you rather be giving them most favorable condition to grow ;) best thing is to select cleaners & lubricants that specifically are made for that purpose & machine oils are no way made to lubricate your barrel (I mean your gun's ;) ) .

ha ha ha ha ha ha . he got u , in the end , bro ak 47 . ha ha ha

AK47
10-12-2011, 11:21 PM
ha ha ha ha ha ha . he got u , in the end , bro ak 47 . ha ha ha

You know, he's a couple of years senior to me, so I've always respected his EXPERIENCE! ;) Lol!

I think what he actually means to say is that I should use specific oils for "some" guns, whilst sewing machine oil is more suitable for the DESI one, the protein probably can be helpful, hahahahaha!

Ok, ok, whatever, we're dealing with the bug still, I suppose, lol!

Regards.

AK47
10-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Deleted. Double post.

lalagul
06-01-2012, 12:50 AM
zain bro what i do is put a small baloon at the muzzle end of the shotgun and that takes care of the problem

Avais
06-01-2012, 12:39 PM
I missed the thread which is worth reading. Its something new and very informative detect. thanks. Even in normal case of oiling the barrel, my habit is to clean it thoroughly with dry peace of cloth / patch until oil content wipes off.

SalmanHusain
06-01-2012, 01:40 PM
i have seen those ants big one (mokoras) residing and laying eggs in metal tubes. and they build their whole colonies in it as for small ants they use earth for it :)

Mig
06-01-2012, 06:13 PM
These insects are called Mud Dauber Wasp . They are very common in Balochistan and we call it "Sochako" in balochi. Though I never saw or experienced its nest in the gun barrels. In you case its maybe they choose the gun barrel as a safe place to protect themselves.
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac350/mig_gunner/muddauberwasp.jpg

Mud dauber wasps are one of the extremely nice mum wasps. They build a "nest" like in the picture above and lay eggs. Then they go to hunt for food such as insects, sting them and thereby paralyse them - and bring them back to their nest. The paralysed prey do not die, they just can not move. After stacking the nest with enough food material

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac350/mig_gunner/muddauberwaspnest.jpg

the Wasp closes the door to her nest, and flies off. Now the home contains lots of food and eggs. The eggs hatch - devour the prey - break open the locked house - and fly away.

Zaheer
06-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Sochakos are common in mud houses (gili baan) in Baluchsitan.

Mehdi
06-01-2012, 07:16 PM
@Zainulabdeen

Brother your post is very informative.I have seen these kind of mud wasp nests here also and it is amazing how hard they are to remove.Surely as you said they can ruin the barrels of your firearms/weapons any time.

Avais
06-01-2012, 07:36 PM
@Zainulabdeen

Brother your post is very informative.I have seen these kind of mud wasp nests here also and it is amazing how hard they are to remove.Surely as you said they can ruin the barrels of your firearms/weapons any time.

@Lala gul

The small baloon on top of the barrel?

On a lighter note how about using protection......... the one we are all familiar with.............http://www.pakguns.com/images/icons/icon7.png. and they are lubricated too. It is an easy way to protect "weapons" of all kinds from foreign organisms entering the bore. LOL.
Lolzzzzz, for the narration.

Nazim Sahib
07-01-2012, 05:00 PM
This post very informative and very disgusting at the same time lol

Mehdi
07-01-2012, 09:43 PM
My apologies to all for the rather not in good taste post.I am hereby removing it.

@Nazim Sahib

Hope it is no more disgusting.

@Avais

Brother you may edit your post accordingly in as far as it refers to the offensive portion of mine. Thanks.

Nazim Sahib
08-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Mehdi bhai i am sorry i didnt mean any offence at all.
Your post is very informative and has been of great help.Specially the information other fellow members gave.I only meant disgust in a way of reference to bugs that was all.Please continue this post as it has and will give great insight to gun owners.
Thank you for your time and experience.