PDA

View Full Version : Re-painting.

Mohammad
02-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Just wanting to ask about re-painting of my ak74( hope it doesnt fall in PB discussion). There is some portion on my AK-74 where the orignal factory paint/finish have worn out due to my rough use. Now the place where this paint has worned out is usually prone to mild amount of rust. All of the gun body is clean but only the worn out part get rust. Now i am thinking of repainting my ak74 . What and where should i re-paint my gun as to give it the same orignal company paint. Some of my friends recommended me to re paint it on daudsons as they usually paint it through a process called electro painting which doesnt worn out. Guys need suggestions on this...

Hamid
02-05-2009, 03:51 PM
In Pesh, Daudsons is the best available option. But check beforehand that whether they will repaint the whole gun or just rusted part of it. Electro painting is good if they will do the whole gun otherwise buy a spray paint and do some homework:)

AK47
02-05-2009, 08:29 PM
I think KK could be of assistance here. In my opinion this is called "Browning" not "painting", and for this you can find excellent browning agents in liquid form that a qualified gunsmith could use to redo your gun finish. If it is only a minor spot or scratch that has to be re-done there is a Browning marker available that you could use by yourself. Tayabelli in Karachi has these quality items which last for a longer time. They can send you by mail. Visit their site, if it has opened by now.

Mohammad
02-05-2009, 08:39 PM
actually the paint has sort of scratched off from those portion. Actually i would be repainting the whole rifle so as each and every portion becomes equal in contrast. I have some reservation about gunsmith painting the gun because there paint often wear off after some use. Just want to know whether daudsons electropaint will do the job or not??? What i mean to say is that will electropaint be permanent, non-wearable able to resist rust or not like its original factory paint

Ka_Khan
02-05-2009, 08:44 PM
If you completely want to re-paint it then you can do it in Darra it will not cost you much.If a small portion then just cover the entire gun with Newspapers and use a Spray Pain (available around 100 Rs).
I have used it in one of my Guns and it works.Just remember dont use the shiny one.

HassaanAfzal
02-05-2009, 08:46 PM
IMHO i would never suggest you to paint it just keep it orignal.

AK47
02-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Kindly let us know more about this "electro paint". How is the process, and how much is cost? Finally, can it be done in few hours on the spot, so surrender of weapon is not required?

AK47
04-05-2009, 09:07 AM
This topic forgotten. Mohammad, where are you, out painting your gun? I wanted soome elaboration on Daudsons "Electro paint". Plz comment.

asaeed
04-05-2009, 10:34 AM
is this "browing marker available in Pindi Islamabad?

Aamar
04-05-2009, 12:36 PM
I would not advise "painting" any weapon, all weapons can be re-blued by a competent gunsmith :) .... You can get a do-it-yourself kit, hoppes blueing kit is readily available :)

asaeed
04-05-2009, 01:15 PM
I would not advise "painting" any weapon, all weapons can be re-blued by a competent gunsmith :) .... You can get a do-it-yourself kit, hoppes blueing kit is readily available :)

me too i dont think we should paint the gun, there should be some way to give the original look black ( i dont know how/what can give the same look) can be acheived. if blue * is available it should be recommended painting would reduce gun's acceptablity wont it??

Striker1
04-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Painting???? just think about all the effects on paint once the barrel starts heating up. The paint will crack. Heat transfer is critical so an appropriate finish is required. Even powder paint is referred to as electro "static paint" which is in my opinion unappropriate.

I have not reasearched on browning or re-blueing as yet.

AK47
04-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Painting is no solution, nor should be done. Bluing/browning without heat involvement is the only solution. Painting will not be succesful on the "mechanical parts" of the gun, coz at the movement it will flake away immediately. Heat is no problem coz the guys here are talking about sprayable Duco paint, which is even used on cars and they stand a great deal of Pakistani sunrays! Yet, it is for no good. Look for some quality bluing agents, like those they have at Tayabelli's. The Desi agents that gunsmiths use are not long lasting.

Ka_Khan
04-05-2009, 07:29 PM
.... You can get a do-it-yourself kit, hoppes blueing kit is readily available :)
Where is it available and price ?

Glocky
04-05-2009, 07:46 PM
@kakhan, its available in khi with Tayabally's, Al-haris and DAAD. I'm sure someone in Lhr and Peshawar will have it. Not sure about the price

AK47
04-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Hoppes was available at Elahi Buksh, and also I think at Gown House. However call them and confirm first. Other good items can be found on TAYABELLY site. Maybe they can post.

Mohammad
04-05-2009, 10:43 PM
@ak47 sorry for late reply..... actually electro painting is the method in which the metal/surface and the paint droplets are electro statically charged. When the paint is sprayed on the surface, the surface and paint sort of combine together with a strong bond and hence permanently gets diffused.

AK47
05-05-2009, 08:41 AM
O.K Mohammad, no problem with late reply. Tell me plz, is this "electro paint" the same as the one by which they paint Aluminium windows in different colors and shades? Or they have something special for guns? How do they do it, manually or some machine process?

Engr Sohaib Majeed
22-02-2011, 11:49 PM

well the browing markers would be for touchups only, i got a really nice collection of guns some of which were damaged in the recent floods( i live in nowshera cantt). Well i took my guns to Daud Sons and he repaired my .22 cal rifle but just scrambed my double barrel and told me that they use electro painting so its not for double barrel. Now the best blueing agent i searched on net is called " BLUE WONDER GUN BLUE". Has any body as idea where can i get this kit, its american made and none of them are willing to send it to pakistan i checked almost all. so any body has any idea about any shop where i can get it. I will be really thankful to u if any body could end my this quest for this kit along with the price and contact number plzzz guys help me out.

Engr Sohaib Majeed
22-02-2011, 11:51 PM
@kakhan, its available in khi with Tayabally's, Al-haris and DAAD. I'm sure someone in Lhr and Peshawar will have it. Not sure about the price

well the browing markers would be for touchups only, i got a really nice collection of guns some of which were damaged in the recent floods( i live in nowshera cantt). Well i took my guns to Daud Sons and he repaired my .22 cal rifle but just scrambed my double barrel and told me that they use electro painting so its not for double barrel. Now the best blueing agent i searched on net is called " BLUE WONDER GUN BLUE". Has any body as idea where can i get this kit, its american made and none of them are willing to send it to pakistan i checked almost all. so any body has any idea about any shop where i can get it. I will be really thankful to u if any body could end my this quest for this kit along with the price and contact number plzzz guys help me out.