PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Breasted Bunting

Mig
30-11-2011, 09:10 PM
The Yellow-breasted Bunting, Emberiza aureola, is an Eurasian passerine bird in the bunting family (Emberizidae).

The breeding male has bright yellow underparts with black flank streaks, brown upperparts, black face and throat bar, and a pink lower mandible. The female has a heavily streaked grey-brown back, and less intensely yellow underparts. She has a whitish face with dark crown, eye and cheek stripes. The juvenile is similar, but the background colour of the underparts and face is buff.
It breeds in northeastern Europe and across northern Asia. It is migratory, wintering in southeast Asia, India, and southern China. It is a rare but regular wanderer to western Europe.

The Yellow-breasted Bunting breeds in open scrubby areas, often near water, and it is very common in Siberia. It lays 4-6 eggs in a nest on the ground. Its food consists of insects when feeding young, and otherwise seeds.

Mig
30-11-2011, 09:17 PM
This Bird we call it "DRUCHK" in Balochi language and it comes in the March April season and its a wheat grain lover. Farmers do not like this bird as it destroys wheat fields. It comes in thousands of number. And during its season its a favorite hunting bird. Though I today came to know that its in the rare/vulnerable bird list which I never thought due to its large number.

I hunted this bird every year and I myself witnessed the whole sky covered by thousands and maybe millions of Buntings above me. Its meat becomes crispy after roasting and we eat this with its crispy little bones.

The maximum I hunted with a single #8 shot is 78-79 Buntings in the field. And I hunted with a single #8 shot 10-12 in flying shot.

This is found in Western and Southern Balochistan. As its a very popular game bird there but I never found anyone talking about so I am sharing. I do not know its presence in other parts of the country but I think where there is wheat this bird follows.

Birdshooter007
30-11-2011, 09:23 PM
A new bird for me. It's a game bird in Balochistan? And 78-79 (buntees :lol: ) buntings with a #8 catridge sounds cool. I'm going to find these at my end, never seen them earlier.

Mig
30-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Yes Brother,, Even I was sad that 78-79 is less because the field was like a Yellow bed sheet all over is spread with Buntings, I pulled the second trigger as well after a fraction of second and that was also around 30+ ! . 30-40 Is very common with a Single #8 cartridge.

The direction for the second trigger was on a different angle, thats why I was able to distinguish the number of BUNTEES that which shot dropped how much !!

Ameer
30-11-2011, 11:52 PM
This Bird we call it "DRUCHK" in Balochi language and it comes in the March April season and its a wheat grain lover. Farmers do not like this bird as it destroys wheat fields. It comes in thousands of number. And during its season its a favorite hunting bird. Though I today came to know that its in the rare/vulnerable bird list which I never thought due to its large number.

I hunted this bird every year and I myself witnessed the whole sky covered by thousands and maybe millions of Buntings above me. Its meat becomes crispy after roasting and we eat this with its crispy little bones.

The maximum I hunted with a single #8 shot is 78-79 Buntings in the field. And I hunted with a single #8 shot 10-12 in flying shot.

This is found in Western and Southern Balochistan. As its a very popular game bird there but I never found anyone talking about so I am sharing. I do not know its presence in other parts of the country but I think where there is wheat this bird follows.

That's a real nice share.

Zaheer
01-12-2011, 02:00 AM
In the month of February and march my cousin Always goes to turbat from muscat to hunt and eat this bird.he brings some every year with him and we enjoy it.its very very tasty.

Zaheer
01-12-2011, 02:03 AM
We always talk about druchk but today I got its English name from you.thanks MIG bro

SHOTGUNNER
01-12-2011, 03:36 AM
brothers if this bird destroyed fields of wheat or crops or any thing else in the field then it,s ok to shoot them other wise should be left alone this is a beautiful little bird a natural beauty i don,t think they worth to shoot as a game.anyway i did not know that this bird is halal till now.

Zaheer
01-12-2011, 03:51 AM
It's HALAL and it destroys the wheat crops in minutes.

Mig
01-12-2011, 04:16 AM
@mazhar rehman
its Halal. Even sparrow is Halal. There is another type known as Reed bunting that also comes in large numbers in the August-September but thats not in much quantity as Yellow Breasted Bunting.

@Ameer. Thanks

@Zaheer
Yes in Turbat its found after the month of March. Not in february. Where are u from ?

Trigger_happy78
01-12-2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the informative share MIG bro, I did not knew about this bird. So thanks for sharing.

Zaheer
01-12-2011, 09:59 AM
@Mig

I m basically from turbat but I was born and brought up in Karachi and now we are settled in Oman.

Syed
01-12-2011, 01:17 PM
in our region of swabi this bird is famous by name of ZYARAKA ( pushto word )

Laino
02-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Nice share Mig bro never knew about this bird. What is the size of this bird.

Mig
03-12-2011, 01:57 PM
@Laino
It is size of a Sparrow

Laino
03-12-2011, 06:18 PM
@Laino
It is size of a Sparrow

Ok thanks Mig Bro

Masroor
07-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Very New bird to My knowledge. Thanks you all For This Intresting Bird Share Here.

Zaheer
08-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Masroor bro its very tasty ;)

Madham
09-12-2011, 10:24 AM
thank you mig this is new for me.

shafiq992
14-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Nice share bro..

pakistanishekari
21-02-2012, 09:17 AM
in our region of swabi this bird is famous by name of ZYARAKA ( pushto word )dont mind i think zyarata name of( teter chokor) in pushto.u r talking about the bird we call this yellow sparrow and very big calculation of this birds come with rossy starling hunting seasons .guide me if am i right?

Mig
22-02-2012, 01:44 AM
dont mind i think zyarata name of( teter chokor) in pushto.u r talking about the bird we call this yellow sparrow and very big calculation of this birds come with rossy starling hunting seasons .guide me if am i right?

It is a small bird size of a sparrow. Yes it comes in number of tens of thousands if not millions. The picture I uploaded from internet. Busy with other stuff and not hunted this since few years so unable to update with real pics

ajmal virk
22-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Nice share bro i have not seen this bird in Punjab

gunenthusiast
23-02-2012, 02:38 PM
thank you bro for sharing

Mig
19-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Some Hunted Buntings found on internet

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac350/mig_gunner/215121_167516929969016_100001321296076_341542_4176 32_n.jpg

Zaheer
22-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Oh seen Druchk pics after a very long time.looks like pics has been taken in dasht or Kech dist.

balochistan
22-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Yes Brother,, Even I was sad that 78-79 is less because the field was like a Yellow bed sheet all over is spread with Buntings, I pulled the second trigger as well after a fraction of second and that was also around 30+ ! . 30-40 Is very common with a Single #8 cartridge.

The direction for the second trigger was on a different angle, thats why I was able to distinguish the number of BUNTEES that which shot dropped how much !!

oh, DRUCHK, in the BOLAN & SIBI REGION, this bird is called CHURKIN. the season is same when it hits the plain lands of BOLAN. i was posted in KECH during 2006-7. I remember twice i visited MAOLANA ABDUL HAQ HASHMI at his LIBRARY in Turbat, where he offered druchks in lunch. a great feast........

Mig
22-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Oh seen Druchk pics after a very long time.looks like pics has been taken in dasht or Kech dist.
Yes brother the pic is taken in Turbat

oh, DRUCHK, in the BOLAN & SIBI REGION, this bird is called CHURKIN. the season is same when it hits the plain lands of BOLAN. i was posted in KECH during 2006-7. I remember twice i visited MAOLANA ABDUL HAQ HASHMI at his LIBRARY in Turbat, where he offered druchks in lunch. a great feast........

Yes brother, there are 3 things which are too popular in Makran division in there seasons.
1. Aamean ( The Date season start from April till september october )
2. Druchk Waraan ( Bunting season, from March till mid of May )
3. Baankleink Waraan ( Vicia Faba Beans, from February till April.

The above three things beside seafood is the essence of Makran Division

Birdshooter007
22-03-2012, 08:12 PM
They're backs (from the picture you've posted) resemble those of a sparrow (color-wise).

Zaheer
23-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Chaudhary bro,these are a little bigger than sparrows but very tasty,believe me I have some cousins in foreign countries who comes every year to Baluchistan to eat druchk in the month of March-April.

Birdshooter007
26-04-2012, 12:02 PM
I saw these last week with a 'Sadqay-wala' - ppl who sell birds in cages and free them... I think they were these buntings and that was in Islamabad.

Mig
26-04-2012, 07:36 PM
I saw these last week with a 'Sadqay-wala' - ppl who sell birds in cages and free them... I think they were these buntings and that was in Islamabad.

haha,, So Chauhdary did you gave some sadqa or not ? :p
Ya I also saw once these buntings with a sadqay-wala while on traffic signal in Karachi. He said sadqa de do , sawaab milega, and I said gunaah milega because when they start earning from this they will increase this act. Whatever :p

Birdshooter007
26-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Nope just passed by him on car and had a glimpse of the birds and suddenly your topic came to my mind and so I decided those were the same birds.

Birdshooter007
27-04-2012, 10:27 PM
A new bird for me. It's a game bird in Balochistan?....I'm going to find these at my end, never seen them earlier.
Passed by that vendor again today, confirmed they seemed like Buntings.

Avais
27-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Never saw this bird in the wheat crops of our region.

Mig
28-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Passed by that vendor again today, confirmed they seemed like Buntings.

They ought to be buntings for sure. Now if you encounter with him again ask him from where he got these buntings. Maybe they visit some places of Punjab region too and that sadqay wala can guide

Mig
28-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Never saw this bird in the wheat crops of our region.

Its a travelling bird. Since childhood I am hearing it comes from China, but found on google (in my first post you can read) that it travels many countries.

What is your new Signature means ? Habib's ?

Birdshooter007
28-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Its a travelling bird. Since childhood I am hearing it comes from China, but found on google (in my first post you can read) that it travels many countries.

What is your new Signature means ? Habib's ?
(His family/fathers name) - Avais Habib Khan....right?

Avais
28-04-2012, 11:31 PM
(His family/father's name) - Avais Habib Khan....right?
Thanks brother. You are absolutely right. Habib is my father's name and certainly a family name.:)

Mig
29-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Thanks brother. You are absolutely right. Habib is my father's name and certainly a family name.:)

Ok Avais Habib Khan Brother :)

shahroze
18-11-2012, 07:30 PM
i have seen these in my garden not very often though
and the cycle people who set birds free also got these in lahore in huge numbers
give 30 rupees and set one free :)

Mig
17-01-2013, 05:52 PM
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac350/mig_gunner/306596_410258162391327_660097287_n_zpsa9b24452.jpg

arawan
17-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Nice share........

Zaheer
18-01-2013, 03:11 AM
Looks like picture in Turbat area ? March is near ;)

Riz Khan
18-01-2013, 07:02 AM
i have seen these in my garden not very often though
and the cycle people who set birds free also got these in lahore in huge numbers
give 30 rupees and set one free :)

After everyone stressing on how tasty this bird is - i might spend a few 30 rupees and confirm the stories when i visit Pakistan this time lol - but all in all it is a very pretty bird.

Looks gorgeous in flight thanx Mig Bro for the share.

riz