PDA

View Full Version : How to unload the firing pins of SxS Shotguns before storing?

armoured
29-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Dear Pak Gunners,

Most of us are using SxS shotguns since ages, and there are some like me who are not too much familier with the inner mechanisms of these guns.

I have two shotguns (probably both are boxlock), one is an Old German (GECADO) and the other one is English (Brimingham proofhouse). Storing the English gun full assembled is pretty easy, just open the barrel, release safety, pull both triggers, and while pulling, close the barrel, The firing pins get unloaded.

This system does not work with my GECADO, so I have to use blanks (with non-metal head to avoid rusting).

If I want to store the guns in taken down position (eg stock & barrel separate),I have no clue how to release the firing pins, so that the springs do not remain pressed while the gun is stored. It is my experience that if the firing pins are not unloaded prior to storing, and the gun is stored for a long period of time, some guns start having troubles with their firing pins.

Can someone help me out with this...

Looking forward to expert's advise....

-

armoured
30-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Can anyone help...??

Denovo87
30-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Wanted to; but honestly didnot get your question, if you want to disassemble you sxs how would you get your gun loaded?
dry fire both barrels to make sure firing pins are at ease and remove fore end & then barrel; where loading comes in it?

masood357
01-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Wanted to; but honestly didnot get your question, if you want to disassemble you sxs how would you get your gun loaded?
dry fire both barrels to make sure firing pins are at ease and remove fore end & then barrel; where loading comes in it?

Denovo Bro ! The same question also clicked my mind.

Mig
03-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Maybe the brother is trying to say how to uninstall the firing pins

Afzaal
03-12-2011, 11:04 PM
no he is notactually his one gun has strikeless hammer release system and other one don't so simly dry fire both barrels and disassemble it like Denovo bro told Simple.

TRX
31-03-2012, 12:54 PM
What you need is a "snap cap." A snap cap is a dummy shell with an insert that absorbs the strike of the firing pin. Fancy commercial snap caps sometimes use spring-loaded brass buttons in place of the primer, but you can make your own by drilling or punching out the primer cup in some fired shells and filling the cup with rubber, plastic, etc. A trimmed-down piece of pencil eraser would work. My first rifles were Enfields and older "cock on closing" Mausers, where you can hold the trigger back while closing the bolt and the bolt will close without compressing the firing pin spring. When I got other rifles that cocked on opening I had to make snap caps so I could store them uncocked.