PDA

View Full Version : Gun Rust

Ka_Khan
01-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Rusting of weapons is a great problem specially with the Local made ones.I once had a old pistol and its barrel was rusted.A worker of mine told me that in villages they fire a bullet or two and it makes easy to clean the rust.I tried it and it worked.
Use of Kerosine Oil and Diesel has been recommended by members of the forum.Diesel is favoured as it has more lubrication.
The key to rust removal from your gun is to remove the oxidation without damaging the finish of your gun.
The biggest error made in rust removal is the use of an abrasive material that can damage the finish of the gun. Never use materials such as a wire brush or sandpaper. The most effective and safest material to use to remove rust from your gun is a steel wool pad. The finer the wool the better.
Improper lubrication is the second biggest error in rust removal. You must keep an ample amount of lubrication on the gun during rust removal. Nearly any type of oil will be sufficient. There are many varieties of oil avialable designed especially for firearms. Ordinary "3-in 1" oil is also sufficient. If you are in a pinch, even cooking oil can be a great substitution.
You will need plenty of paper towels and old newspapers. In the absence of those, old rags or towels are acceptable.

Once you have all your supplies, you are ready to begin the rust removal process. Your work area should be steady and sturdy. Spread out the old news papers or towels to catch any debris that may result from the removal of the rust on your gun. A gun vice is a handy tool to have to keep your firearm steady while you are working on it, however it is not vital. Just be sure to place your gun so that it does not move while you are working.

Use the oil to lubricate the areas on the gun that are affected by rust. Apply the oil liberally. Use the steel wool to gently rub the rust away from the surface of the gun. Be careful not to use excessive pressure or to scrub vigorously, as this can damage the finish on the gun. Be certain to keep adding the oil to affected area.

After a few minutes use the paper towels to wipe off the excess oil and debris from the removed rust. This will allow you to see the progress you have made and determine how much more work you will need to do to completely remove the rust. If rust remains, repeat the above process until it is removed.

Once you have finished with the removal, give your gun another coat of lubrication. Be sure to check your firearm periodically while in storage. Once a gun has developed rust it is likely to reappear in the same areas even after removal.

Just be sure not to use your wifes "good towels". You might end up with bigger issues than rust removal ! Have stained so many clothes with oil that now my wife has threatened me that i should wear Pak Guns T-Shirt or else she will not wash my clothes !!

Handsome_Phantom
01-05-2009, 09:32 PM
\good info khan sahab.Khan sahab do post the pic of ur mp5 pdw semiauto clone.

Mohammad
01-05-2009, 09:33 PM
well k khan i tried several times ti remove rust from my 32 bore. I used everything. I used WD-40 lubricant to remove the rust. Used diesel oil as well. Even tried attempting a desi technique by applying oil to the pistol and then placing it in the sun for rust to vanish but in vain. Instead some finish has worn out from the area where it was rusted

Ka_Khan
01-05-2009, 09:37 PM
If you could dis assemble it completely....keep the parts in Hot water for sometime.Rub them with Diesel and sponge.It will work.
Or if it could not do it,dip it for a overnight bath in Diesel.It will work.

Mohammad
01-05-2009, 09:57 PM
yes i can disassemble it and i am sure it will work......thanks

Osam
01-05-2009, 10:17 PM
An over night dip in either diesel or kerosene oil will do the trick ive tried it.

Conceal Carry
02-05-2009, 12:13 AM
well k khan i tried several times ti remove rust from my 32 bore. I used everything. I used WD-40 lubricant to remove the rust. Used diesel oil as well. Even tried attempting a desi technique by applying oil to the pistol and then placing it in the sun for rust to vanish but in vain. Instead some finish has worn out from the area where it was rusted

WD40 is not a lubricant it's a water displacer. "W"=water, "D"=displacer. you can use it to clean the gun, use a light machine oil to lubricate afterwards. Use 0 number steel wool with lubricating oil to softly rub-off the rust.

HassaanAfzal
02-05-2009, 01:00 AM
I ve tried this diesel thing and it works good

Ilyas
02-05-2009, 01:34 AM
Assalam Alaikum ka_Khan sahib! Hope you are fine. Can you please tell me where I can find steel wool pads in Peshawar?

Ka_Khan
02-05-2009, 01:45 AM
You can use the soft ones used for cleaning utensils.I think scotch brite is the name.

Ilyas
02-05-2009, 01:59 AM
Well that doesn't seem too fine as the threads appear to be quite thick and hard. Does diesel also successfully remove the rust markings in the barrell, which seem to be like permanent damage? I tried to remove such stains with WD40 but it didn't work.

AK47
02-05-2009, 02:06 AM
Very detailed Info by Ka_Khan. Yes, the overnight method makes wonders! Use of supplied bronze brushes that comes with kits is NOT advised! Wonder why these are supplied with brand new guns! Guns of today won't require them for decades, and then one could always buy as an extra! I know of someone, who used this after his FIRST firing with a handgun. The poor chap thought that one must use all supplied brushes one by one and the gun would be cleaned!

Osam
02-05-2009, 02:08 AM
See when you keep the barrel or any gun part in kerosene or diesel over night, you will see the rust particals partially removed but you would also need an effort to clean it. You may have to brush through the barrel to clear the remaining rust which easily comes off.

Ilyas
02-05-2009, 02:13 AM
Thanks AK, Osam and Ka_Khan :)
I'll try the recommended procedure... let's hope
it works for my gun. Thanks once again!

AK47
02-05-2009, 02:16 AM
you're welcome!

Bluff
02-05-2009, 10:12 AM
@ka-khan .... nice info bro...
Normally i use WD40and afterwards Light gun oil for cleaning .after every shooting trip... .... before and after shooting season i use a very thin layer of grease....twice a year.never experinced rust on any firearm

Osam
02-05-2009, 01:51 PM
If the desi technique isnt ok with you, ill recommend using Brunox spray. It does not only remove rust but also oils the gun. Its basically a two-in-one spray.

Hamid
02-05-2009, 04:07 PM
@Ka_Khan very informative article. Thanks.
@Bluff your grease technique is very practical. I have a Chinese TT which I can't and will not use due to some reasons. I take it out after every six months, throughly clean it with diesel, apply a very thin grease layer and put it back. It works wonders.

Mohammad
02-05-2009, 08:45 PM
guess what k khan............it worked...... gun is as good as new....thnks

Ka_Khan
02-05-2009, 09:12 PM
I still haven understood the use of WD 40.Its only removes moisture which a good Hand Blower could do.It does not Lubricat which we need for our Guns.

tarzen81
03-05-2009, 04:46 PM
@Ka_Khan . . . Thanks for sharing the valuable information :)

Khalidsh
04-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Yes Wd40 is used to displace water/moisture and yet it has some oiling capabilities as well. But guns require their lubrication to stay in place at higher tempratures thus such lubricants cannot sustain. You can clean it with WD40 and then use Hoppes lubricant for guns.

There is another lubricant available in th us market that is Teflon based and its the ideal choice if one can get it.

Ilyas
04-05-2009, 12:28 AM
@ Khalidsh
Bro hope you are fine. Well what's the name of that one and how much does it cost?

Conceal Carry
13-05-2009, 12:04 AM
You can use the soft ones used for cleaning utensils.I think scotch brite is the name.

Scotch brite will destroy your gun's blued finish. Use regular 0 number steel wool. Do not rub vigorously. Put some oil on the rust and gently wipe off the rust.

Ka_Khan
13-05-2009, 12:28 AM
We have talked so much about Weapon Rust.
Any practical experience what happens or could happen using a Rusted gun?
If its in the Barrel or in its mechanism.Will the weapon fire?
Is the rusted gun associated with failing to fire or 'kaboom'..

Syed
12-07-2009, 06:30 PM
http://www.pakguns.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1189&p=3
some tips from 12gauge for rust removal at post# 65

ay_be_why
13-07-2009, 06:56 PM
i need some advice on cleaning up a CZ-27 1949-made (at least that's what we think it is). Hasn't been used in more than a decade. the slide has much of the original bluing but the frame(body?) has lost some of the finish. If you pull back the slide, the outer surface of barrel has lost its luster and slightly rusted all over. Inside is also uniformly rusted. to strip it, a website says its slide should lock somewhere in the middle of the pull on an empty mag. then the little pin near the top of the trigger guard is pushed in to start dis-assembly. the pin on our piece doesn't budge as if its welded...

Please guide about how it should be cleaned? is stripping necessary for cleaning? can the cleaning mixes suggested by 12gauge be used? if so will i have to keep it dipped in cleaner etc? can't post pics because my cell with cam is dead... :( this pic is from the net

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae62/pea_shooter/CZ27.jpg

please help, thanks

ay_be_why
14-07-2009, 09:36 PM
guys? anyone??

HassaanAfzal
15-07-2009, 01:58 AM
Bro If you can bring it to my place i can clean it for you. But if u want to D.I.Y then i say strip it and dip the pistol in diesel for about 12 hrs. Then you can use any lubricant of your choice i say use POF oil.

ay_be_why
15-07-2009, 08:31 AM
thanks hassaan bhaee... will try the diesel treatment. if it works, well and good warna ap ko zehmat doon ga.. i have seen many members endorse the diesel treatment so i gather it does not harm the finish of the gun.. right?

thanks

Aamar
15-07-2009, 10:41 AM
12 Gauge's input required here as well :D

ay_be_why
15-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Aamar bhaeee 12G replied in another thread to this same query of mine. he also recommends diesel or kerosene use. he says that his mix or ed's red are not designed for rust removal so i guess they are for the cleaning/ maintenance of weapons which are in use and are suffering only from residue materials of shooting.

KK bhaee waiting for your response or from any other member who has had to tackle rusty handguns. Bhaeeo please keep in mind that it will be my very first attempt at cleaning a gun and i don't want to do any more damage than what has already happened to it. so please suggest a way which you are dead-sure about not doing any harm to the finish etc.

Thanks everyone.

ay_be_why
18-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Hassaan bhaee the diesel bath worked, all gunk removed, barrel shiny as new on the inside and the piece working like a charm. thank you.

blunderbuss
27-08-2009, 12:00 AM
you can also use micro fibre cloth for cleaning which usually come with yours eyesight specs that works great than
wool pad

Ka_Khan
04-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Anybody used/fired from a Rusted gun?

Topak
05-10-2009, 12:23 PM
i did once with pak made .30 1911.i was told by a gunsmith that when you see a lot of rust in barrel,slightly clean it with brush and then fire some rounds..by this all rust will loose its strength and then go for a routine cleaning with some good cleaner.
i tried it ..it works great..but now i realize that its much dangerous there is always a danger of blown off.plz dont try it.

Ka_Khan
05-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Topak that was the thing i was doing in the past.Dont knew about the blowing option....

Salahuddin Ayubi
12-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Brothers, need advice,

Is field stripping necessary in case of dipping a Tokarev TT 30 in Diesel for around 12 hours, or just taking off the hand grips, good enough.

Detailed answer would be appreciated.

Regards

Topak
12-10-2009, 06:04 PM
its good to strip the whole gun.(but do not touch trigger and cocker assembly)
its easy its simple.also remove the grips.
by stripping whole gun you can easily rub cloth or brush to gun.

MHMalik
13-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Silicone cloth would be your best bet. Mine is Kleen Bore and a couple of wipes and it lifts all the rust away and leaves a protective lustrous layer. A Must Have for all firearm enthusiasts.

I got mine in a kit. Dont know where its available separately from but I would imagine it must be available easily.

I think its time our friend 12 gauge starts a new project ( I will be glad to assist in whatever capacity I can) in developing Pakguns Silicone Cloth, what do you say kind sir? :)

Anaglyphical
13-10-2009, 11:49 PM
The slight layer of rust that usually catches old weapons has an indigenous way of removal.. i will tell you guys you use it and you will quite certainly love it. the foil paper that comes in cigarette packs... take out that foil paper and fold it in a way that shiny side is outward. thats all you need to do... now rub it against the barrel of your gun and you will see the difference. notice this method can also be used to clean those ugly hand prints on barrels. tryout and post your comments

khakiMB
14-10-2009, 11:33 AM
@Ka_Khan,

What a wonderful topic. I have a gun which is completely rusted. I think it will require massive surgery but for a start I am going to follow your recommendations for rust.

KMB

Engineer
14-10-2009, 02:19 PM
?? ??oil ??? ??? ????.
??? ?? ??? ???? ???? ??? ?? ???? ?? ???? ?? ??? ?? ?? ????? ???? ????? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ?? ???? ?? ??? ?? ?? ??? ?? ???? ??? ???? ??? ?? ????? ?? ?? ???? ???

Malik1
16-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Kakhan bro as I understand, rust is result of a chemical action and will leave the mark on the weapon. If it has just begun to rust what you said might work, but for rust which has firm grips on metal, it will not go away with out having left the pit marks and with out having damaged the metal

Ka_Khan
16-10-2009, 05:51 PM
?? ??oil ??? ??? ????.
??? ?? ??? ???? ???? ??? ?? ???? ?? ???? ?? ??? ?? ?? ????? ???? ????? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ?? ???? ?? ??? ?? ?? ??? ?? ???? ??? ???? ??? ?? ????? ?? ?? ???? ???

@Engineer Forum's official language is English as we have many International members also.It is advised next time you type you dont use the Urdu software.
Thanks

KageFox
16-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Urdu's here too!!! I've been trying to escape from reading and writing Urdu all my life... hand me a urdu newspaper & I'm doomed :P