PDA

View Full Version : CZ75 TS competition hammer install..

coolbox18
19-11-2011, 11:18 PM
For the said installation, first we need to remove the magwell. Well, why is removing a magwell even a task, keep reading:

The correct sequence is

1. Remove grips
2. Remove cross pin (part 13)
3. Push down the part71 (the nub) and main spring housing plug. part 71 is attached to the plug! Push it hard and slide back the magwell simultaneously. A few heavy blows to the magwell (take care of frame finish!) and it pops back out.
4. Put back the cross pin
5. Take out the mag break.
6. Remove cross pin
7. remove main spring housing plug and change the spring.

Here is the parts diagram, for those not exactly at verse with all the numbers above:

http://www.cz-usa.com/assets/files/cz75ts_en.pdf

Might have been able to pull out the mag break without putting back the cross pin, but the above worked. Reassembly was easy:

1. Press the plug in
2. Insert the cross pin, and get the plug fixed
3. Fix the mag break
4. remove cross pin
5. Press down the plug and the nub while tapping the the magwell back in.
6. Once magwell is on the body of the plug, then use a pointed non-marring punch to push the nub down hard, and slide the magwell over it.

You will need a non-marring conical punch, or a will have to use the handle of your hammer smartly to push the nub/plug back in.

The job would have been easier if I had a vise, as without the vise, there was a strong need for a third hand!
Thanks again

Installed is a 13# main spring, extended firing pin and reduced power firing pin spring Although in due honesty, the difference in trigger feel is negligible, and almost not noticeable for most shooters.

coolbox18
19-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Then comes the competition hammer installation part.

The process was not very complicated, but required first the removal of magwell described above (now you see why the magwell removal was actually a task!)

Then, had to remove the safety, left (need to lift the sear spring out of the slot when viewd from top) and right side, (it is easier if you remove the sear cage in between respectively), and except for the trigger group, everything has to come apart for the hammer to be extracted out. While this was not very difficult, putting back was a bit more tedious. A few installation aid videos were re-reviewed in the 90 minutes required for some tricky parts.

The safety-sear connection area need removal of some material. I removed (actually more like a bit of filing only) a very small amount from the safety. The safety engages now a with a bit of effort, less that immediately after hammer installation, but more than original condition. I think it should now improve with wear, or I could just redo the filing after a few sessions.

RESULT:
A better looking TS
A drastically improved trigger, virtually creep free
A very good looking, smart hammer
Well, a better looking TS

Below is the list of mods now:

-13Lbs main spring, and 13Lbs recoil spring
-reduced power firing pin spring
-extended firing pin
-competition hammer
-aluminum custom grips with grip tape
-(adjustable sights are waiting to be installed, but have not felt the requirement yet, so they wait in the closet)

PS
Usama came over, and lended the much desired 'third hand'; you see, you have to hold with one hand, press with second, and install with the third! A vise is what I don't have, and it would have been possible to do the mods alone had I one, but a vise does not do much gossip, does it?

TOOLS
-Punch (roll pin) 1/16", 3/32" , 1/8"

-Polymer hammer for smacking out the magwell

-Starter punch kit

-The handle of the hammers for pressing down the plug, or any thing that does not damage finish, and can be used to hold/push the plug inside.

-Nose pliers

-Spring hook kit (to fiddle with sear spring, hammer retaining pin, and safety indents)

-The Third Hand (courtesy Usama bro)

I was wondering what the trigger of a creepy P01/75D compact can be converted to if a competition type hammer is installed..any ideas?

coolbox18
19-11-2011, 11:38 PM
The resulting trigger break in this weapon, resulted in the thirst for a czechmate being quenched (for the time being.., although the cost a CzechMate does an equally good job!)

Skeeter60
20-11-2011, 03:35 AM
COOL BOX
You have done a great job.
A CZ TS can be made nearly as good, by the addition of the hammer in the way you have described. In fact only highly skilled shooters can feel the difference. The TS and the mate can be made compare able with the effort you described. Bravo n keep it up.

AK47
20-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Great job done, Coolbox bro, not everyone would venture upon this "Ph.d" assignment! Excellent effort, keep it up.

Regards.

12GAUGE
20-11-2011, 11:39 AM
nice job buddy. keep up the good work. would you be kind enough to explain the reason for opting a 13lbs mainspring and 13lbs recoil spring mod.

Regards.

coolbox18
20-11-2011, 01:06 PM
@Skeeter sir,
Thankyou for the encouragement. Yes, it can be made comparable to czechmate, and only skilled shooters will know the difference in trigger. I can further fine tune this, there is room to cut height of hammer hooks by .2 or .3mm, but I am happy the way it is. This is already drastic improvement over the standard TS trigger.

@AK47 sb,
This was just graduation, PhD is in the CZ decocker models! (read P01..)

@12Guage bro
the 13Lb combo makes cycling of weapon faster, which makes it return on target faster, for practical/rapid shooting, which we often do drills of, at the ASCC range. Also, I noticed that it is much easier to rack the slide with these lighter springs, so when competing in stages where one has to load a weapon, this is a definite must. The 13Lb main spring reduces the hammer strike force, which can lead to light primer strikes. That is taken care of by extended firing pin and reduced power firing pin spring.

Moeen
21-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Salam All,
WOW, VERY Well done. Congratulations, looks like I will need to visit you for the hammer installation soon. Very very well done indeed.

Aquarius
21-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Very good work done there.. keep it up Coolbox bro.. now your TS is at par with the Czechmate.

coolbox18
21-11-2011, 02:04 PM
@Moeen sb
You are most welcome. When ever you are planning to be in town (Karachi), send me an email.
(although I am to believe you can do this yourself too...). Thank you for the praise.
If you are in the process of ordering parts, please also order pin no.9 for hammer to strut assembly. These pins are almost unusable once removed. If you order a strut alongwith, (like I did), then you can have complete assembly of hammer, strut (and the pin) in spare for future needs (or if i break the new hammer while installation!)

@Aquarius bro
Not yet a Czechmate, but yes, the trigger is about the same. Thank you.

Sami
22-11-2011, 10:08 PM
A.O.A, Great job Dr. Do Cool. I was expecting this sort of improvements from your side as soon as you are into serious target shooting, this also disclosed the mystery that why did you intend to let go your Shadow Sp01. Keep up the good work, thanks for sharing. A.H

Moeen
22-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Salam All,
@Coolbox18 - I already had mine customized with blue parts over a year ago and am now thinking about a new experiment with this TS by cutting the front as in the Czechmate and then adding a front weight to it.... lets see how that goes.

coolbox18
23-11-2011, 08:27 AM
@Sami sb
The shadow is with me..

@Moeen sb,
Yes I had your blue accented TS in mind. I would like to have that trigger now, although not blue color!
Do keep us posted on how the TS turns out.

Trigger_happy78
23-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Very well done coolbox18 bro, keep it up.

HussainAli
23-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Dear Cool Box Bro, Wounderful ............cool looking New Hammer !!!! Hope you will get a difference in sound & Acqurecy too !!!

Regards

Denovo87
23-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Great job CB bro, now start looking for phantom's bits to make its trigger happy ;)

Naveed_pk
23-11-2011, 12:19 PM
@ Coolbox bro Awesome job done :) I remember the old days a person can't even fill the empty mags and Today he is Bullsye shooter and Now a Gunsmith :clap2: . Keep on going bro :)

Regards

coolbox18
25-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Trigger Happy
Hussainali
Denovo87
Naveed_pk

brothers, Thank you.

@Hussainali bro, there is drastic improvement in trigger, which results in better accuracy. What do you mean by improvement in sound?

@Denovo sb, unfortunately, the Phantom is not recommended to be fiddled with by CZ people. I dont exactly know why, although other decocker models (P01,SP01 Tactical etc) can have the job done on them. Please note that a decocker model is a pandoras box once opened, and closing is a very very tedious work. Just be ready to fly out to Karachi once you do pop one open, just in case..How do I know? Please feel free to inquire..

@Naveed bro, you will always be my first teacher. You taught me how to fill mags, disassemble and more importantly reassemble, clean and lubricate weapons, all the very basics. Thank you for the guidance, which has led me into this basic gun-smithing stuff. Next project: 75D compact (yes, decocker model..)

HussainAli
25-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Trigger Happy
Hussainali
Denovo87
Naveed_pk

brothers, Thank you.

@Hussainali bro, there is drastic improvement in trigger, which results in better accuracy. What do you mean by improvement in sound?

Brother you are most welcome & please do not mention;

I mean; That after this replacement.... Dry Fire should sound different & Better??

Hope so

Regards

coolbox18
26-11-2011, 03:02 PM
@Hussain Ali bro
I could not observe any noticeable change in dry fire sound..I dont know if this matters also.

Starfish
30-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Wah Wah, after all those year long discussions, you have finally done it. A very nice job to say the least. Interested in selling your TS ? :P And yeah, I too might visit you soon for some "upgrades" :) along with Moen Sb.

coolbox18
04-12-2011, 01:52 PM
@Starfish bro
Yup, after one full year of discussions! Thank you.
It is fun, and satisfying, both at the same time to do it yourself. You know more than anyone about my selling policy for friends, need not ask, just call before coming to pick it up....
I look forward to your and Moeen sb's visit.