PDA

View Full Version : Astra 200 "Firecat" (6.35mm)

Ahnab
03-11-2011, 10:19 PM
AA & greetings all! My father, this very evening, unveiled a sterling piece of family history: an Astra 200 "Firecat" which belonged to my paternal grandmother. This gun was manufactured in Spain by "Astra Unceta y Cía". My grandmother bought it in 1966 as a CC weapon from Majeed & Sons here in Lahore. It's a 6.35mm (.25) caliber semi-auto, carries 5 rounds in the mag, comes with 3 safeties (grip safety, magazine disconnecter & thumb safety). It's an all-metal gun (frame, slide, grip, etc) with a chromed barrel and feels quite solid. The slide rides smoothly and trigger pull is crisp with very little creep (I dry fired it a few times, don't know if that gives me an exact representation of trigger pull with a round in the chamber). The magazine release is actually a little latch on the heel of the grip which needs to be pulled back to release the mag, therefore switching mags is a real pain. Other than that, it's quite a little pocket rocket! Only thing left is to take it down to the range and let it rip! :-)

My grandmother bought a box of 25 rounds with the gun and, till date, this gun has fired only FIVE rounds; so it's basically in near-mint condition. Don't know much else about the gun, except that it fit quite well in my hand (and I have big, beefy hands!) and was pretty comfortable. Despite being all-metal, it's light enough to carry around in your pocket without any discomfort.

Here are a couple of pics I took (please excuse the poor results, I was way too excited to run & get my camera, so used my cellphone instead!)

I had a couple of questions:-
1) The ammo is almost 40 years old (bought in 1966), so is it still safe to shoot?
2) Is the ammo for this gun (6.35mm) available in Lahore/Islamabad?

Birdshooter007
03-11-2011, 10:36 PM
First of all congratulations on finding this family piece of history. Is it licensed? 5 shots/mag is a little less... but nice CC pistol.

Ahnab
03-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Thanx sir! I always thought of my grandmother as a sweet old lady. But now that I know she packed a gun in her purse, my impression of her just became more radical! Heheh!

Yup it's licensed, even found my grandmother's old license as well. Along with the documentation, we also found an exemption letter issued by the Army which allowed here to keep the gun during Zia's martial law. Yes 5 rounds/mag is pretty low, but it's a VERY small pistol too (almost the size of a Rs. 10 note).

Any idea if the ammo is available anywhere?

Abbas
03-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Salams, great little gun. It's value is mostly sentimental but that's the most important thing. You'll be able to find with ammo with a little effort as 6.35mm is just another name for .25 ACP.

Oh and it should be perfectly fine to shoot. I'd clean and oil it first though :)

colt 1911
03-11-2011, 10:55 PM
well IMHO the cartridges should work if they have been kept at a place which is not humid

Crazy Shooter
03-11-2011, 11:10 PM
great gun but I doubt the ammo seen in picture as I own one .25 ACP and used diff ammo the ammo in picture looks like local made maybe it was replaced so please dnt shoot this ammo the mag capacity of this gun is not 5 but 6 its clearly shown in the picture just looking at the mag you will know its a six shot mag which makes the gun 6+1 not that bad yes ammo for .25 ACP is avlble most common these days in serbian costing 80 to 90 each bullet dnt know about avlblty in lahore but am sure you must get it and once again nice well maintained gun

Ahnab
03-11-2011, 11:13 PM
@Abbas
It most certainly has great sentimental value. Gonna clean & oil it tomorrow, after I go through the manual and completely disassemble it (and hopefully will manage to reassemble it back!)

@colt 1911
Ya the ammo was kept in a dry place. I looked closely at all the rounds and they all looked fine, free of any rust or stains.

@All
Out of curiosity, the ammo (6.35mm/.25 ACP) is rimfire or centerfire?

EDIT: Just found out the ammo is semi-rimmed centerfire.

Birdshooter007
03-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Thanx sir! I always thought of my grandmother as a sweet old lady. But now that I know she packed a gun in her purse, my impression of her just became more radical! Heheh!

Yup it's licensed, even found my grandmother's old license as well. Along with the documentation, we also found an exemption letter issued by the Army which allowed here to keep the gun during Zia's martial law. Yes 5 rounds/mag is pretty low, but it's a VERY small pistol too (almost the size of a Rs. 10 note).

Any idea if the ammo is available anywhere?
Ahahahahahahahaha :lol:
I misread your original post and read grandfather instead of grandmother. I was wondering why your granny bought a box of 25 rounds while the handgun was your grandpa's. :lol: Thanks for clarifying :D

Ahnab
03-11-2011, 11:31 PM
great gun but I doubt the ammo seen in picture as I own one .25 ACP and used diff ammo the ammo in picture looks like local made maybe it was replaced so please dnt shoot this ammo the mag capacity of this gun is not 5 but 6 its clearly shown in the picture just looking at the mag you will know its a six shot mag which makes the gun 6+1 not that bad yes ammo for .25 ACP is avlble most common these days in serbian costing 80 to 90 each bullet dnt know about avlblty in lahore but am sure you must get it and once again nice well maintained gun

Yes you're right, the mag's a 6-round capacity, my mistake. The ammo in the picture is German, not local, and it is 6.35mm. I'll try to post pics of the ammo box tomorrow inshallah. 5 rounds have been fired out of the box way back in 1966. Thanks for posting the average price, although it seems a bit high unfortunately.

Slayerjatt
04-11-2011, 12:21 AM
beautiful little gun. looks quite good and rust free even after 45 years. i notice the depressions near the muzzle. is the barrel ported to reduce recoil or is it something else?

Faisji
04-11-2011, 12:22 AM
A
I had a couple of questions:-
1) The ammo is almost 40 years old (bought in 1966), so is it still safe to shoot?
2) Is the ammo for this gun (6.35mm) available in Lahore/Islamabad?

Yes the ammo should be safe but on the safe side buy new .25(6.35mm) ammo which should be available in Lahore

BTW your handgun is 6 shot not 5 (the magazine has 6 witness holes on it i checked the capacity on the web.

Ahnab
04-11-2011, 12:42 AM
@Slayerjatt
Ya the gun's in pristine condition; no scratches, rust or stains of any kind. My father did a bang up job of keeping it safe from any corrosion! My concern is that, although the gun looks fine from the outside, it might not be so clean on the inside. Worse case scenario, I might have to hunt down some parts. Not sure about the depressions on the barrel, can't find any literature that explains them nor can I find any other guns with similar barrel depressions. I'm hoping they're there for more than mere eye candy! :-p

@Faisji
Yes the mag capacity is 6, not 5. It was a recursive typo on my part. I did some reading on the .25 ACP and apparently the S&B ammo is the best, so will go hunting for some soon. Crazy Shooter bro mentioned that they cost around Rs. 80-90/round which is pretty steep though, but I'll definitely get a 50-round box and burn through it in a single day! :-)

Slayerjatt
04-11-2011, 01:49 AM
@ahnab

i can't really tell from the pictures but if the depressions are actually holes then it's a ported barrel.

Ahnab
04-11-2011, 09:59 AM
@ahnab

i can't really tell from the pictures but if the depressions are actually holes then it's a ported barrel.

They're depressions, not cutout holes. Maybe it's a "semi-ported" barrel, I dunno. Can't find anything that specifically explains the depressions, literature is a bit hard to come by considering it's a relatively little known pocket gun designed way back in 1920!

Mudassir
04-11-2011, 10:06 AM
@Ahnab, congrats on finding this, it surely is a "pocket rocket", i had the opportunity to fire a similar one last week, hardly any recoil and VERY concealable..
I am not sure if the ammo would still work, have my grandfathers Webley Mark IV that he had bought in 1966 as well, but the ammo did not fire, in fact to date, i dont think the gun has been fired.
A rare pistol and a MUST keep!!

Ahnab
04-11-2011, 10:14 AM
@Ahnab, congrats on finding this, it surely is a "pocket rocket", i had the opportunity to fire a similar one last week, hardly any recoil and VERY concealable..
I am not sure if the ammo would still work, have my grandfathers Webley Mark IV that he had bought in 1966 as well, but the ammo did not fire, in fact to date, i dont think the gun has been fired.
A rare pistol and a MUST keep!!

Thanks sir! Ya it's very concealable; you can carry it around in your pocket and you wouldn't even notice it. I was actually surprised to see that, considering it's age and size, it comes with 3 safeties! BTW, did you notice the depressions around the nose of the barrel? Any idea what they're meant for?

Mudassir
04-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Ahnab Bro, to be honest i did not pay attention to the nose of the barrel, but now that you mention it i am not sure what it is for, will try doing some research on it, was contemplating whether to buy it or not as i needed a CC weapon.. my two apprehensions were (A) the low mag capacity & (B) i found the mag release a discomfort and decided to pehaps consider getting one at a later stage..

Am actually awaiting delivery of my CZ 83 that i bought last week :)

taha
04-11-2011, 10:21 AM
@Ahnab

Your gun looks great! Its even more respectful to read your grandmother was bold enough to keep it, even during marshal law's time - mashaAllah

Ahnab
04-11-2011, 10:39 AM
@Taha
Thank you for the kind words! Ya this gun suddenly opens up a whole new side of my grandmother which I didn't know! That kinda explains my interest in guns as well; it's in my blood! :-D

@Mudassir
100% agree with your assessment; the only thing I hated about this gun was the mag release, it's a bloody pain in the neck! I think the 6-round capacity is adequate considering the Astra's supposed to be a "back up gun"; meaning if your primary CC weapon fails/disabled, you atleast have something to fall back on. I was wondering if you could give me your opinion regarding the ammo's performance. Although the .25 ACP is considered a "lowly" round, it's still lethal if placed at the right spot.

taha
04-11-2011, 10:52 AM
@Taha
...Ya this gun suddenly opens up a whole new side of my grandmother which I didn't know! ...
Lolz!

...That kinda explains my interest in guns as well; it's in my blood!...
You can say that again! And to reflect a wider community, how about replacing 'my' with 'our'. wink.

AK47
04-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Forget about the gun, let me first salute your great gun-loving grandmother, that you got the chance to share this 1966 beauty with us. Excellent piece there. Normally we here of these genes dating back to the grandfathers, so an exception here, no doubts.

1) The .25 ammo should be available with a bit of search in Lahore.

2) I can't say of your ammo, but I personally have fired 30-06 ammo from my bolt-action, the rounds dating all the way back to WW-2, 1940 and even after a period of 75 years, they banged pretty fine and on first click!

No, they weren't well kept treasures from my grandfather, just came across them in Peshawar market, and most likely they were just kept in some unprotected, rust up tin box or a worn out shopping bag, whatever!

In terms of the short size of the handgun and being pretty close to yourself, I'd suggest you, however, to use some sort of eye protection.

Found this pair of protecting spectacles yesterday at Metro, Islamabad, and at an unbelievable Rs. 175 only! Regardless of the quality, I'm sure I'm better protected now than before:

http://www.pakguns.com/showthread.php?568-What-have-you-bought-today&p=224034&viewfull=1#post224034

Let's hear from your grandmother's well preserved treasure soon.

Happy shooting,

Regards.

taha
04-11-2011, 11:44 AM
@AK47

Found this pair of protection spectacles yesterday at Metro, and at an unbelievable Rs. 175! Regardless of the quality, I'm sure I'm better protected now than before:
Rs 175/- is quite reasonable - this thing sure clicks and lights some bulb inside; thanks for letting us know!

s.cheema
04-11-2011, 12:29 PM
nice pistol

Ahnab
04-11-2011, 12:44 PM
@Taha
Absolutely bro, gun love runs in ALL our blood! :-)

@Ak47
Thanks bro! Yes it's a lovely piece of family history. My father told me the story of how my grandmother got the gun; believe it or not, my grandfather & grandmother applied for and got their licenses, and then proceeded to go GUN SHOPPING together! He bought a Webley Mk IV revolver, and she got the Astra 200! Both came back home happy and proceeded to fire off a few rounds in the backyard with the kids (my father & uncle) watching with absolute excitement!
I'm just waiting on my license, hopefully the process will go smoothly and I'll be able to go out to the range and fire it away!
BTW, thanks for the safety goggles & muffs tip bro, will definitely grab 'em!

@S.Cheema
Thanks bro! :-)

GUNFREAK
05-11-2011, 01:10 AM
Ahnab i had the same weapon, but sold it a few years back. Mine was silver with carving and wodden grips. But the mag realise was on the side ( much more easier). Very easy to disassemble and clean. But for Godsake please please don't use it for backup. Just keep it and enjoy as part of your family history.

regards

Ameer
05-11-2011, 09:44 AM
@Ahnab,

Nice Pocket Handgun, u have got brother. Due to its high price and less demand of it ammo, its a precious ammo to find.

Topak
05-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Good little gun. i owned a .25 CZ ''Z'' model in SS finish.One forget that he has a pistol in his pocket..a true CC package.
rounds should be available at buksh Elahi as i always heard when i enquired about its ammu.

Anaglyphical
05-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Congrats bro for inheriting such a beauty. I came across the very model of the astra the guy was asking 20K for it, the pistol was in mint condition. But i was skeptical to invest in a thing that i knew very less about so dropped the idea altogether. though the handgun is very nice, my hands are also big and beefy but it fit like a glove.

Glock5
05-11-2011, 01:26 PM
great weapon....ammo is available with buksh elahi,the mall lhr...... congrats!!

Ahnab
05-11-2011, 02:58 PM
@All
Thanks for all the feedback guys, really appreciate it. I intend to keep the gun as a family heirloom, so to speak. It's got some great history attached to it and has a lot of sentimental value. I'll definitely go to Buksh Elahi for the ammo, bet it'll be fun shooting this piece of history! :-)

Madham
10-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Ahnab bro, use this gun for fun and hold it tight to pass on to your next generation.:)

Ahnab
10-11-2011, 04:02 PM
@Madham
Absolutely bro! Gonna keep this little gem in the family and pass it on for sure! :-)

Aquarius
10-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Very nice little collector's piece.. ammo should be available in Lahore & Peshawar I guess.

Ahnab
17-11-2011, 12:53 PM
I checked around and the ammo is most certainly available. Incidentally, I downloaded the manual online and proceeded to field strip the gun. Despite being in storage for over 40 years, the gun is in pristine condition! Required next-to-nothing cleaning, and a bit of lubrication. :-)

Birdshooter007
14-12-2011, 09:54 PM
@Ahnab
Have you bought any new rounds and shot this pocket-monster?

Sturmgewehr
15-12-2011, 02:13 AM
@ahnab
great gun bro...Thumbs up to Grand Lady....hope to see it soon.

malik160
15-12-2011, 02:21 AM
thats an excellent pistol with a long history,

Ahnab
16-12-2011, 12:58 AM
@Chauhadry
Haven't bought any ammo yet (still have plenty of rounds lying at home), but I've seen a couple of dealers who sell this ammo.

@Sturmgewehr
Thanx bro! Oh yeah, my grandmother was a real kick-ass woman! Booyah! That kinda explains my interest in firearms as well! Heheh! :D

@malik160
Thank you sir! It certainly has a beautiful history, and I'll inshallah pass it on to my children as well! :)

Sturmgewehr
16-12-2011, 01:09 AM
@ahnab
Hey bro check this out..........this is dedicated to you and your new found weapon and respects to your grandmother.........hope to meet ya soon as gonna be in lhr on montag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y5NClr8b7Q

Ahnab
16-12-2011, 01:18 AM
@Sturmgewehr
AMAZING DEDICATION!!!! HAHAHAH!!!! LOVED IT!!!! Heheheh! :D Hey looking forward to meeting up bro! :)

Sturmgewehr
30-12-2011, 01:54 AM
danke....anythin for my brother astartes....

khanrocks
07-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Great Pistol with History ..

My Father also gave me a Astra which he bought brand new in his collage days .. according to him he was the only one in his collage to buy a Brand new imported pistol at that time ..Mine is in Pristine condition condition with Polished metal .. you can see the pics in My Collection ..

Mawa
31-07-2012, 03:02 AM
hey can anyone tell me the price one should pay for this...?

ajmal virk
31-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Nice handgun master piece you can try old ammo also amoo is available with few dealers in Lahore.

durrani
31-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Nice gun bro. Keep it safe, clean and oiled.

davidglory
11-12-2012, 04:08 AM
Hi... David here.

it's a nice gun but i bet hard to find ammo for it.

best of luck.