PDA

View Full Version : Improving The Performance of Your Airgun

12GAUGE
17-10-2011, 11:35 PM
AoA Everybody

A few days ago I noticed that my Airgun's receiver kinda moves (slight play) inside its polymer furniture. the movement wasn't enough to be concerned about but as always if moves and it shouldn't (or if it doesn't move and it should) I just have to investigate and kill some time and a few million brain cells in the process.

So..... after doing some research I came to a conclusion that I should do something about it and eliminating this play might improve the accuracy potential of the airgun. one must understand that those who cant shoot usually satisfy themselves (and their egos) by looking for answers to such problems. ;) Lols! at least I'm honest enough to admit, right?

Anyways, the research led me to believe that a stiff action inside a rifle stock is highly desired due to the increased accuracy that comes with the lack of play (tight tolerances). however the traditional accurazing techniques of a rifle do not work with airguns. its a totally different animal altogether. then it hit me, how about using something totally simple as a cable tie available at most hardware/automotive stores?

Something to get out of the way (as always):

The following content is for informational purposes only. The author assumes no responsibility and/or any liability in case of an injury, accident and loss of life and/or property that may and/or may not occur as a direct and/or indirect result of exercising the information provided below. The reader assumes full responsibility and liability of the foreseen and/or unforeseen consequences that may or may not occur therefore he/she is advised to proceed with full caution and at their own risk. In other words, if you screw this up, don't blame it on me. :)

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/12gauge-pakguns/Cable%20Tie/Picture2.jpg

I ran to the nearest automotive store and got me two cable ties. both were tied to the rear of the airguns' receiver (I do not know if its a correct term) and inside the trigger guard. this ensures that they do not get in my way. the excess cable tie was simply cut with a sharp blade.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/12gauge-pakguns/Cable%20Tie/Picture3.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/12gauge-pakguns/Cable%20Tie/Picture4.jpg

Both cable ties are fastened inside the trigger guard. This not only ensure that they do not bother me but also allow full movement of the trigger blade by staying clear.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/12gauge-pakguns/Cable%20Tie/Picture5.jpg

One has to ensure that both cable ties are as tight as possible because the objective is to restrict any movement of the receiver inside the stock.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/12gauge-pakguns/Cable%20Tie/Picture6.jpg

As far as the result of this little exercise is concerned, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. :)

Before:
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/12gauge-pakguns/Cable%20Tie/Picture1.jpg

Not too bad to for a springer airgun with a REALLY BAD shooter ;). 10 shot group fired from 15 yards. using a pillow as a make shift rifle rest.

After:
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/12gauge-pakguns/Cable%20Tie/Picture7.jpg

Yup! that a 15 shot group. fired from a distance of 15 yards. using a pillow as a make shift rifle rest. very crude setup. I am positive that this group can be further improved with a proper rest.

In case somebody wonders what a cable tie looks like:
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/12gauge-pakguns/Cable%20Tie/Picture8.jpg

Airgunning is fun specially when you don't know how to shoot. Lols!

Regards.

Sami
18-10-2011, 12:45 AM
A.O.A, Simple and ingenious.Thanks for sharing. A-H

Rotorcrafts
18-10-2011, 01:28 AM
Seems like a permanent solution and the results are pretty neat :)

Abbas
18-10-2011, 01:38 AM
Excellent post and simply fantastic shooting. My Diana shoots well but this target is much better. I'll try and tighten a few nuts and bolts on it tomorrow and will shoot a target at 15m with it again.

Btw which airgun is it that you were shooting ?

Denovo87
18-10-2011, 04:06 AM
Simple, effective & ingenious solution to Shadow 1000 chronic problem 12 G bro, really happy to see that you did it without breaking the tender plastic stock which I unfortunately did to my son's airgun ;)

Ameer
18-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Who can have a better solution on Rifle than bro 12G. Very innovative Sir.

M.ASIF KHAN
18-10-2011, 08:32 AM
what an IDEA SIR GEE
sir gee you are great SIMPLY AWESOME

12GAUGE
18-10-2011, 09:11 AM
@Thank you gentlemen

@Abbas

Bro, I'm sure a Diana is capable of out shooting a Gamo any given day of the week and twice on Sundays. The trick is to make sure that there is minimum play in the components of an Airgun. after that, just float the gun and let it recoil freely. do not let it touch your shoulder while aiming and do not grip the stock with your left hand. just let it float on the palm on your left hand or pillow or a rifle rest. also, lightly (feather light) hold the pistol grip while squeezing the trigger.

I figure that since these airguns are mostly springers the vibrations play a big part in determining the true accuracy potential. therefore to get max accuracy one must reduce the vibrations as much as possible and those vibrations that cannot be controlled must be left totally free and uninfluenced.

@Denovo87

Thanks for the heads up bro. after talking to you I did not even think of touching the screws for the fear of breaking the stock. therefore had to resort to alternate means of stiffening the action.

Regards.

Topak
18-10-2011, 10:39 AM
very good solution Bro. The group is very good.Just keep practice hopefully group will be more better.

PAKIPOWER
18-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Excellent work once again 12 gauge Bro, Btw I had fix this problem in my chinese air gun by the use of a clump . the following pictures will explain more.

The following content is for informational purposes only. The author assumes no responsibility and/or any liability in case of an injury, accident and loss of life and/or property that may and/or may not occur as a direct and/or indirect result of exercising the information provided below. The reader assumes full responsibility and liability of the foreseen and/or unforeseen consequences that may or may not occur therefore he/she is advised to proceed with full caution and at their own risk. In other words, if you screw this up, don't blame it on me.

fluffmaster
18-10-2011, 11:19 AM
very nice indeed,,,but I suppose it applies only if u see that ur gun is not shooting properly because of trigger assembly loosening

PAKIPOWER
18-10-2011, 11:20 AM
I personly think clump work better in wooden stoke .

Topak
18-10-2011, 11:22 AM
good JOGARD Pakipower Bro.
But i think there is no need to give disclaimer :)

PAKIPOWER
18-10-2011, 11:23 AM
two more pictures, sorry cant load in once attm.

Skeeter60
18-10-2011, 11:31 AM
12 GAUGE
wonderful work. Keep it up as always.

Naveed_pk
18-10-2011, 12:51 PM
@ 12Gauge bro Awesome "jugar" as always . Hatts off to you bro :) . Bro i just want to ask you done this because of rattling/lose trigger assembly or they were already tight and you tightened them more for better results ??

@ PakiPower Nice job bro :)

Syed Adeel
18-10-2011, 02:27 PM
@ 12 GAUGE.... Informative and vividly described for the enlightenment of us all.....!

Arslan_tareen
18-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Great Job Bro , as usual a solution which can be adopted by a average joe like me .

Avais
18-10-2011, 03:16 PM
12 guage brother. Excellent and positive solution to improve the performance of a springer. Keep on conceiving good ideas. thanks.

Moeen
18-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Salam All,
Great thread, I would like to see some holes in the coin as well please.

12GAUGE
18-10-2011, 11:39 PM
very nice indeed,,,but I suppose it applies only if u see that ur gun is not shooting properly because of trigger assembly loosening

Bro, it has nothing to do with a lose trigger housing. as you can see from the pictures that the cable ties are not even touching the trigger guard or its housing anywhere. the whole objective of this exercise is to restrict any free movement (play) of the receiver in the stock. the cable ties only tightly bind the receiver (spring mechanism housing) to the stock.

Think of this cable tie operation as something similar (a very crude form) to aluminum pillar bedding of rifles where the action is stiffened by tightly securing the receiver inside the stock using two stiff metal (aluminum alloy) pillars.

Bro i just want to ask you done this because of rattling/lose trigger assembly or they were already tight and you tightened them more for better results ??

Bro, the screws were already pretty tight and any further tightening could potentially damage the stock or the screw threads. however if you look closely at this area of your airrifle, you can find some form of extremely minute play. this play (no matter how minute) reduces the true accuracy potential of an airgun.

@PAKIPOWER

The use of a clamp is a pretty clever idea bro. keep up the good work.

@Big & Sexy

Bro, hitting a coin might sound easy but I have tried every trick in the book but still couldn't accomplish it. I guess I am one of those people who just don't have what it takes. :(

besides, I am planning to hit this coin with a slug using a rifled slug barrel somewhere in the near future. ;)

Regards.

Alvi
19-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Did the same .. shot a Pineapple tin from 50m and then 60m in the light of my car several times with open sights .. poor tin ..

+1 12G

but .. still drooling over the 350 Mag ... :)

12GAUGE
19-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Did the same .. shot a Pineapple tin from 50m and then 60m in the light of my car several times with open sights .. poor tin ..

+1 12G

Bro, from what I have seen, Diana 350 Mag is definitely a better gun when compared to a Gamo. however one must take into consideration the price to benefit ratio. if one is a hardcore airgunner or an airgun hunter then it is advisable to use Diana. otherwise Gamo serves a casual hunter/airgun enthusiast much better due to its low price factor.

and from what I have heard: Diana 350 Mag is 1000+fps airgun with a long stroke spring setup. such a gun would eat up scopes like peanuts. without scopes, my guestimate would be that vibrations from such a powerful spring (and long stroke) engine would also limit the accuracy.

Regards.

AK47
19-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Simplistic! Good work 12G bro, seems you have plenty of things on the mind when not in office. Keep it up bro, nice work there, no doubts.

I'd just like to question the dissipation of the energy, where to? Into the scope, if mounted?

I mean since any action is bound to have an equal reaction, which is the outlet of the muffling attempt here, any idea? I'm asking just to know if it would benefit a scope mounted one or eat it up any faster?

Ignore my naivety, since I haven't been into air-gunning since long, though it was my actual platform.

In any case, thanks for another boredom killer recipe 12G bro, you for sure have hell loose in there, when back from office, hahahaha!

Regards.

coolbox18
19-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Usual 12Gauge stuff: brilliant.

Bro, any chances for you venturing on handguns? They are, after all, the most abundant in firearms..

taha
19-10-2011, 03:14 PM
@12Gauge

Sir jee, let me try this on my primitive Chinese Air Rifle - hope it gives me better accuracy as well!

@Pakipower

Bro can you plz share your model of Chinese Air Rifle? Plus its power and accuracy you achieved?

Amjad Ali
19-10-2011, 06:21 PM
very good solution sir 12 GUAGE

you use cable tie it`s fantastic part uses every type of industry we are importer of cable ties and have all sizes

by your good refrence i would like to offer all pakguners

if you all need this 10 inch tie free of cost from lahore i am here let me know

Birdshooter007
19-10-2011, 07:49 PM

+1 12G

350Magnum, once you have shot a few hundred shots with it, is a perfection as far as smooth running is concerned. You can easily achieve 1 inch groups at 40 yards, effective range for pigeons and rabbits is up to 100 yards and recoil is very manageable. Once the rifle is broken in, accuracy is further aided and loudness also decreases to some extent. It is a springer which is an 'air cannon' and able to take down coyotes, jackals, porcupines, etc in one shot. I myself have shot a large baby wild boar with mine. About scopes, Diana 4-16X42AO and Diana 6-24X42 AO scopes work perfectly alright on this gun and stay zeroed if you use a single-piece lock-down mount. Other scopes which are effective on this gun are Bushnell, Leopold, etc RECOIL AND SHOCK PROOF SCOPES. And if one wants a cheaper method than scopes, he can buy peep sights, just like open sights, very very accurate (about as much as a 4Xmagnification scope).

Mehdi
19-10-2011, 08:07 PM
The jubilee clip used is different from a cable tie.While this has to be tightened with a screw driver, the cable tie is made of plastic and tightened by just pulling on the free end,once done the extra length can be cut off.It also does not scratch the metal or spoil the looks of the gun. Available in all sizes and colours from shops dealing in cables wires etc.

4952 4953

Alvi
21-10-2011, 12:41 PM
350Magnum, once you have shot a few hundred shots with it, is a perfection as far as smooth running is concerned. You can easily achieve 1 inch groups at 40 yards, effective range for pigeons and rabbits is up to 100 yards and recoil is very manageable. Once the rifle is broken in, accuracy is further aided and loudness also decreases to some extent. It is a springer which is an 'air cannon' and able to take down coyotes, jackals, porcupines, etc in one shot. I myself have shot a large baby wild boar with mine. About scopes, Diana 4-16X42AO and Diana 6-24X42 AO scopes work perfectly alright on this gun and stay zeroed if you use a single-piece lock-down mount. Other scopes which are effective on this gun are Bushnell, Leopold, etc RECOIL AND SHOCK PROOF SCOPES. And if one wants a cheaper method than scopes, he can buy peep sights, just like open sights, very very accurate (about as much as a 4Xmagnification scope).

Thank you sir for the information. I'm definitely looking out for a scope to put on my Gamo and will look out for the models that you have mentioned. However, nothing is available that interests me except a Bushnell 4x32 simple scope available at Gown House for Rs 10,000.00 but it's too costly for the specs. So, my wait and search continues ..

As for my drools for the 350 Mag, I'm giving myself this "Tassalli" that learn with a Wooden Sword before going onto reality.. However, as per constant and persistent advice by 12G@uge bro and his admirable "Gestimations" on the subject, augmented by my own limited experience of a 1000 shots now with the Gamo, I have reason enough to believe that I really should keep it closer to my heart and learn how to shoot before going over to the Le' Magnifique' 350 Mag ..

As for the Peep sights, please guide me where to get those from Isb / Rwp ..

Ty and regards for all

Birdshooter007
21-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Thank you sir for the information. I'm definitely looking out for a scope to put on my Gamo and will look out for the models that you have mentioned. However, nothing is available that interests me except a Bushnell 4x32 simple scope available at Gown House for Rs 10,000.00 but it's too costly for the specs. So, my wait and search continues ..

As for my drools for the 350 Mag, I'm giving myself this "Tassalli" that learn with a Wooden Sword before going onto reality.. However, as per constant and persistent advice by 12G@uge bro and his admirable "Gestimations" on the subject, augmented by my own limited experience of a 1000 shots now with the Gamo, I have reason enough to believe that I really should keep it closer to my heart and learn how to shoot before going over to the Le' Magnifique' 350 Mag ..

As for the Peep sights, please guide me where to get those from Isb / Rwp ..

Ty and regards for all
10,000 for a 4X32 scope?? OMG! THAT'S TOO MUCH. Get a Tasco 3-9X scope from Shamsuddin Pindi for <5000 rupees. If you can get a gamo 3-9X scope from Al-sayad Dubai, it would be even better and less than 8000 rupees. Peep sights are not available in Pakistan.

Could you tell me where gown house is, I want to get a case for my gun.