PDA

View Full Version : Review: Airsoft KnightHawk 1911

Abbas
06-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Salams,

In my childhood I used to do a lot of airgun shooting and hunting. When I turned 18, well ;)

Recently Airsoft products have started to trickle into Pakistan and I went and bought a few yesterday. Since Airsoft guns are relatively new here in Pakistan before I go on I should also say a few words on Airsoft itself.

Generally most replica weapons shooting plastic BB's using either compressed gas, batteries or springs as propellant are known as Airsoft guns. There are over 50 different manufacturer's who produce Airsoft guns. The one I'm reviewing today is the KnightHawk 1911 by WEI-E Tech of Taiwan which sells and makes medium budget Airsoft guns.

The KnightHawk is a compressed gas 1911 replica. Holding the gun for the first time I was impressed with the attention to detail. The gun looks, feels and weighs just like a normal 1911. In the U.S Airsoft guns generally sold with an colored tip like orange, green etc to help onlookers differentiate them from real guns. The ones sold here are plain. Pictures below:

The gun comes with a basic how to use manual and a single magazine. The magazine has a dual function, it holds the BB's (about 15 of them) and also the gas. One fill of compressed gas gets you about 30 shots or two mags worth of shooting.

Abbas
06-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Shooting review will be posted tonight when I have more time.

taha
06-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks - it looks great. BTW how do we refill the gas 'tank'?

HussainAli
06-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Chief, Wonderful & Mouth watering looking Airsoft..............and now missing more & more "Airsoft" fun in KHI, should plan a visit to LHR to buy one of these in person...........

Any way desperately waiting for a complete review and "Target" picture of "KightHawk 1911"

Waiting for "Part 2"

Regards

guns for me
06-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Shooting review will be posted tonight when I have more time.

Really very nice pistol…. eyes r open for review

bbiillaall
06-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Congrates Abbas bhai and nicely reviewed.
waiting for shooting review.

Asd1976
06-10-2011, 06:52 PM
@Abbas
Bro how much does this cost in Pakistan?

AirSoft
06-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Abbas Bhai, great review and lovely photographs. Eagerly waiting for the part 2.

s.cheema
06-10-2011, 07:39 PM
congrats, beautiful pistol

Ameer
06-10-2011, 07:42 PM
As usual nice photography by Abbas bhai. Waiting for pt = 2

ACHILLES
06-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Nice and good looking softy.

wasifali89
06-10-2011, 10:03 PM
kindly do tell us how the refill is done for the gas..... and moreover, what FPS do u feel if its not mentioned in the specs ?

my observation is that if u see the BB quite clearly then its under 250 Fps

AirSoft
06-10-2011, 11:11 PM
@wasifali89

The gas refill is done via Green Gas cans, the same way you refill a gas lighter. One can of gas is good for 2500 shots.

The FPS of KnightHawk is 300 + 10 on the Chronograph.

Ka_Khan
06-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Congrats Abbas on the purchase of New Toy :)
I am sure airsoft has a huge market in Pakistan and will be waiting for its arrival in Peshawar.

Abbas
06-10-2011, 11:42 PM
@Taha, Hussain Ali, Guns4me, Bilal, Airsoft, S.Cheema, Ameer, Achilles, WasifAli89, Ka_Khan Thank you. Here is the shooting review.

Shooting the Knight Hawk:

Since I plan to play around with these guns for a few weeks I bought 3 packs of 4000 BB's each and 3 cans of gas. Each gas can should last around 2500 shots.

Filling the mag up with gas:

First target shot on Rapid at 10 Meters. Once you start shooting it's so much fun you empty the entire clip. I also tried to see how fast I could fire it and shot 4 bb's per second. The entire clip was done in around 4 seconds. (Target below). Shooting the gun was a lot of fun although filling the mag was bit of a pain in the backside. 3 times out of 5 it would not fill properly and I would run out of power after 8/10 shots. Having to shake the can before each refill is absolutely essential.

After a bit of fun at 10 Meters I moved back to 15 meters and tried to shoot with a bit of concentration. The group was decent enough.

Since it was shooting around 6 inch groups at 15 M I thought why not test it at 25 M and see what happens.

At 25 M I had to aim at the 7 digit at 12 o clock. The bb drop at this range was very noticeable as I could clearly see the BB dropping in an arc like trajectory before hitting the target. The drop was almost 12 inches at 25 M's and the shots were not consistent at all.

The fps (feet per second / speed) drop was very noticeable. The manufacturer claims this gun shoots at 300 fps when it leaves the barrel but at 25 M the fps drops to less than 125 or perhaps even 100 fps. Of course this is not meant to be fired from this distance.

As the fps decreases so does the hitting power. This below target was shot from all three distances. 10, 15 and 25. You can see the results below:

A energy saver was pissing me off so ;) (Shot at 15 M's)

Rapid fire from 6 Meters:

Some friends asked about recoil, noise etc. Well, compared to an airgun it has even lesser recoil (infact non at all) and less sound than an air gun as well. I tried hunting a few lizards around my house yesterday with it for good fun and after I emptied a clip or two most of them looked like they wanted to say "are you kidding me?". Did shoot one but for your Lizard hunting needs, most Airguns would kick Airsoft's behind. It might however be a little unfair to compare an air rifle with an air pistol so next week when Airsoft's rifle battery's and chargers are delivered I plan to unleash hell on the local lizard populace with my fully auto M4 shape Air soft.

Conclusion: These guns priced at Rs. 15,000 with around Rs. 2,500 more for gas and BB's are fun. I can't really say I would prefer them over Airguns because the single shot Airgun teaches you to value and weigh each and every shot because in the time it takes you to reload your gun your target would have gotten away. That patience learned to take the perfect shot also teaches other aspects of real shooting like trigger control and concentration on sight alignment. A good airgun shooter when he graduates to firearms will be a good hunter and a good shooter.

Airsoft items also teach important things like gun safety and firearms responsibility (bb's at short ranges really hurt) but they are more of a fun item with the mantra of spray and pray kind of shooting.

I recommend getting one to play around with specially if it's a rifle but remember, while somewhat dangerous these are just toys.

AirSoft
07-10-2011, 12:56 AM
Sir thank you for such a detailed review.

4 BBs per second and the entire mag in 4 seconds that is FASTTTTTTTTTT !

Just one little thing I wanna point out about the issues you are having when filling the gas. From personal experience and information from the internet I have learnt that the best way to do it is to hold the gas can nozzle facing down:

The green gas bottle has a probe that is stuck into the gas port on the bottom of the inverted magazine, then the gas bottle is pressed down to allow the gas to flow. A completely empty magazine may take several two-second shots of gas before it starts bubbling out the gas port, but a magazine with some gas in it usually needs only one two-second shot to fill it. One fill lasts for two magazine's worth of BBs, so you fill with gas, then load the first set of BBs, shoot and load a second set of BBs to shoot again.

Make sure you shake the can well before each refill.

umarjay1
07-10-2011, 02:27 AM
Pistols are a bit cheaper at 12,000 to 16,000 -/+ 500. The rifles range between 15,000 to 25,000 I guess.

@Abbas
Bro how much does this cost in Pakistan?

umarjay1
07-10-2011, 02:35 AM
You fill the gas tank just like filling a butane cigarette lighter with an aerosol gas can. Hold the base of the magazine upside down to expose the filling nozzle underneath (some guns have a sliding panel over it). Now shake the filling gas can. Hold it upside down, engage the probe with the magazine filling valve and decompress it in 2-second bursts. Wait in between for the magazine to warm up as the filling causes it to cool down. do this for 3-5 times and give the last fill about 3 seconds. U may see liquid gas escaping as the compression inside the magazine increases. But thats normal. Now ur ready. Once you are used to it, it will take about a minute to do this if you have a gas can handy. Ciao.

paki.gunner
07-10-2011, 02:46 AM
Congrats Abbas bhai. this is really cool

taha
07-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Splendid review Abbas bhai! Thanks for the update !

Too bad it cant reach KHI any time soon - I guess it'll be hard to get it in person via air as well (or through some acquaintance) - these things look so real...

bbiillaall
07-10-2011, 11:50 AM
excellent review Abbas bhai :)

Huzaifa
07-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Nice review Abbas bhai. Thanks for sharing.

Abbas
07-10-2011, 07:33 PM
@Airsoft, Paki-Gunner, Taha, Bilal, Huzaifa Thank you.

ACHILLES
07-10-2011, 07:39 PM
nice going abbas airsofter. :)

airgunstudent
26-08-2012, 03:46 PM
The airsoftpk (http://www.airsoft.com.pk/Details-9) price (15000 PKR) is almost double the price (89.99 USD = 8544 PKR) it is available in USA (http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/WE_Metal_Knighthawk_Airsoft_Gas_Blowback_Pistol/2199#), (click the links). I was wondering about the difference, Is the import duty in US less then PAK or like real arms the reason is third party profits ?

Khilji
26-08-2012, 08:34 PM
I willing to buy airsoft rifle

treble
26-08-2012, 09:32 PM
@ Abbas bro did you buy the gun online from airsoft.com.pk

sajjadkhan
28-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Nice review Abbas Bhai.