PDA

View Full Version : Applying car wax on weapons to prevent rust.

alinawaz
21-09-2011, 01:08 PM
I've read on a couple of forums that people apply carwax on their pistol/shotguns/rifles to prevent rust. They say it supposedly protects a firearm for about a year. People have posted that they've done it on CZ's, XD's, Kimber's and a lot more.
I'd like expert opinions on this as i've minor surface rust problems on a few of my pistols.
Opinions from sir skeeter60 would be greatly appreciated.

alinawaz
21-09-2011, 01:11 PM
An example posted on the czforum.
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=42638.msg240265#msg240265

Wolf Hunter
21-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Chemical properties of car wax has been formulated for paint and not for blued/brownned/oxidative surface.Such treatment on wepaons will ruin the surface.Moreover carwax does not play a role as an antirust.Carwax merely provides shine and a thin film on the surface which does not let the dust to stick so it is not recommended for weapons.

SalmanHusain
21-09-2011, 03:02 PM
i do this with my airgun and almost everything even sun glasses!!! plus i even use mansion polish on my airgun metal parts as well as wooden-stock. and after it my airgun shines out loud. lol

s.cheema
21-09-2011, 03:08 PM
which oil should i use for my 350 magnum, a little rust is starting to appear

HussainAli
21-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Dear Ali Nawaz Bro, I also have doubt in this practice as "Car Wax" is a different formula & for a different purpose. Gun Bluing or Silver Finish is a different technology and requires a "Oil based" (Even synthetic Oil) to protect or last option is "Diesel" mixed substance like WD40 or Nasa Rust-O-Nil etc or may be imported stuff like Hopes etc............

Car Wax will sure damage, the reference you are referring is based on 75% Plus "Teflon" based wax used in many countries, and similar polish is available in Zamzama in approx 2,500Rs for 400ML bottle so if you are buying such in this price ...........then why not but a proper "Gun" protector oil.......................

Ordinary car wax available in our country is just "Wax" & Perfume and nothing else and will only harm and will be of no use.

Hope this clear

Regards

alinawaz
21-09-2011, 04:24 PM
@hussainali bro i've used hoppe's oil, brunox, break free clp, birchwood casey barricade (a product designed for rust protection), remmington oil and almost anything else which is available. But still i get surface rust problems. Maybe my sweat is just too acidic. So thats why i asked about this.

Trajan
21-09-2011, 05:33 PM
@alinawaz: Bro, i strongly recommend to stick to treatments/ oils/ grease that is meant for guns and are tried and tested.

Canik
21-09-2011, 05:35 PM
perfects gun oil is best

Moeen
23-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Salam All,
Car WAX, oil, other preventatives do the same thing. Some will last longer such as WAX - as the name states it. What you are doing is covering up all the microscopic pits and unfinished areas not visible to the naked eye with wax. Obviously wax is tougher to remove than oils or oil based lubes or such hence yes it does provide a better solution for long term storage.
This is a very very long subject to cover but your answer is Yes. You can use Car Wax.... NOT TOOO MUCH.

HussainAli
28-09-2011, 01:35 PM
@hussainali bro i've used hoppe's oil, brunox, But still i get surface rust problems. Maybe my sweat is just too acidic.

Dear Ali Nawaz Bro, Then in this case "Oil Treatment" should be applied to YOU and not to your GUN !!!!! (Kidding Bro).......

Regards

Urika
17-01-2012, 04:45 PM
if oil doesn't work use grease which is time tested.....

HussainAli
17-01-2012, 04:54 PM
if oil doesn't work use grease which is time tested.....
Dear Urika Bro, Welcome to PakGuns and enjoy your stay........

Regarding your comment for apply "Grease" is NOT AT ALL Recommended, instead if "Long Team" storage is required.

Daily used /carrying weapon should be slighted lubricated with any good quality oil (Very Thin Layer) only... to avoid dust deposit etc....

Regards