PDA

View Full Version : Airgun Hunting- Preferable grains. (.22)

Birdshooter007
26-08-2011, 09:39 PM
AOA,
Got my 350 magnum restored today (finally :)) and would like to know about somethings...
What is the minimum grain a pellet should be (to be used in this gun) . My guess is 14g.
What is the preferable grained pellet for the following ;
1. Collared Doves.
2. Rock Pigeons.
3. Rabbits.
4. Foxes.
5. Wild Boar Babies (about 2-3 months old).
And that's about it.
My current inventory of pellets;
8g. Irani ( not to be used in this gun)
9g Local (not to be used in this gun).
14.3 g. Crosman's.
about 16g Gamo's.
24.5g H&N's.
soon to be added in inventory; 34g. Japanese pellets.
I'd like Airgun Enthusiasts to tell their opinions first then I will tell what I think.....
BTW, at what range should I zero my airgun without scope (for hunting), I am having some difficulty in zeroing it properly.
Regards.

hunter468
26-08-2011, 10:36 PM
i am using diana 35 since 7 and i have mostly used 7 to 9 grain pellets and never had any problem with them.
u should use heavier pellets 10gr+ so that your accuracy does not suffers.

since i am not into boar and fox hunting with air guns so cannot comment and on any given day of boar and fox hunting i will prefer rifle or shotgun for boars and a 22 Long Range for foxes :)
regards

Birdshooter007
26-08-2011, 10:46 PM
22lr for foxes, shotgun or rifle (not less than .243 or .270) for wild boars. I agree. But fox with a powerful airgun given that it's shot at close range is a piece of cake. Jackals are what I wanted to say but instead I wrote fox. Jackals are a really easy target for airguns. And I have mentioned not full grown boars, but baby boar, they are very small, have soft skin and bones and have heard many people saying they have killed baby boars with airguns so I want to try it ( from a car of course :) )

hunter468
27-08-2011, 04:08 AM
22lr for foxes, shotgun or rifle (not less than .243 or .270) for wild boars. I agree.
yes but killing with a rifle specifically has its own charm!

But fox with a powerful airgun given that it's shot at close range is a piece of cake. Jackals are what I wanted to say but instead I wrote fox. Jackals are a really easy target for airguns.
sir g,dont remind me my old days with air guns,when i used to kill alot of things through it ranging from a house sparrow to jackals,dogs etc
plz let me be a civilized hunter now bcz that age (7 to 14) of ignorance (i call it jahalat) is over now.;)

And I have mentioned not full grown boars, but baby boar
i dont know whether u r through same phase of your life as was i few years back (the jahalat time) plz let them grow and enjoy shooting with a rifle or shotgun. killing baby bores is not that challenging brother.

they are very small, have soft skin and bones and have heard many people saying they have killed baby boars with airguns so I want to try it ( from a car of course :) )
i m not lecturing but kindly do preach them same which i shared with u.
AT THE END,CHOICE IS YOURS BUT CONSIDER MY VIEWS AS AN ADVISE FROM A HUNTING FELLOW AND TAKE THEM POSITIVELY WITH OUT ANY OFFENCE
However enjoy your air gun for hunting small game (the purpose for which this is made) :)

regards to your air gun Passion
have save and civilized shooting brother.

Birdshooter007
27-08-2011, 03:15 PM
yes but killing with a rifle specifically has its own charm!

sir g,dont remind me my old days with air guns,when i used to kill alot of things through it ranging from a house sparrow to jackals,dogs etc
plz let me be a civilized hunter now bcz that age (7 to 14) of ignorance (i call it jahalat) is over now.;)

i dont know whether u r through same phase of your life as was i few years back (the jahalat time) plz let them grow and enjoy shooting with a rifle or shotgun. killing baby bores is not that challenging brother.

i m not lecturing but kindly do preach them same which i shared with u.
AT THE END,CHOICE IS YOURS BUT CONSIDER MY VIEWS AS AN ADVISE FROM A HUNTING FELLOW AND TAKE THEM POSITIVELY WITH OUT ANY OFFENCE
However enjoy your air gun for hunting small game (the purpose for which this is made) :)

regards to your air gun Passion
have save and civilized shooting brother.

1.Bro, first of all, there is no harm in killing stray dogs, they are just roaming around to spread diseases. Go through Sahih Bukhari and you can know what I'm talking about. 2. I am under 18 but would never ever call it the jahalat period. 3. I have not said anything to baby bores and am letting them grow but what i am saying that i wannt to kill one and try to see what my gun is capable of. 4. Plz dont compare airguns of your time with those available now "zameen aasman ka farak hai". Max. fps back then would be 500fps and now they range up till 1750fps (1750 fps is much more than the fps of a shaheen cartridge). What I would like to add is that if killing baby bores with airguns is no fun, killing boars with shotguns is not fun too and all of us shoot bores on jeeps so it's no fun at all.
As far as killing babies is concerned, most of us shoot at a flock/herd of wild boars. Often they just kill one or sometimes 2 and injure another one or two adults and 2-3 babies, DID YOU KNOW THIS ?
5. I don't have a shotgun/rifle myself at this age so i cannot kill bores with any of these, as you have mentioned. But we do have 2 expired moi's and once they are restored, I can have full time shotgun hunting.
6. Newer airguns have much more purposes than just small-game hunting and i bet you don't know big bore airguns. In america, people have hunted small deer and other animals such as boars too with airguns.
7. My passion is not airguns, but rifle and shotguns but i have to stick to airguns for the time being due to being under age..
HOWEVER, i think when you were young, you had just hunted with airgun and jumped to shotguns recently, BUT I have used and hunted extensively with all kinds of airguns. I have hunted with diana 22 and diana 35, the one you had. In lastest and powerful ones, I have had the pleasure to extensively use my new 350 magnum, and the one of it's kind Wheirauch HW 80, will soon use the HW100...
8. I at this age have hunted and used shotguns and rifles owned by my uncle which i think you started recently.
I have, other than some 10 different airguns, used ppsh 41 (.30 cal rifle), .22 remington, and hunted with/used Turkish (Tomahawk), German and english (holland and holland) shotguns. I have experience of hunting with/using both airguns and shotguns and I know what evrything is like and i am not just a airgun hunter. If I want to, I can go to my uncle anytime in my vacations ( when he goes to his village near pattoki) and can use any of his 25 firearms so don't think of me as in 'jahalat age', i never had it and never will.

Sorry for making this lengthy and no hard feelings.

hunter468
27-08-2011, 11:05 PM
1.Bro, first of all, there is no harm in killing stray dogs, they are just roaming around to spread diseases.Go through Sahih Bukhari and you can know what I'm talking about.
i have not mentioned stray dogs any where !

2. I am under 18 but would never ever call it the jahalat period

i used it in light mode (see the smile in post) but u didnt understand so fault at my end,as sometime v have to express a thing in more simple way, so i m calling it a JANOONI PHASE OF LIFE for better understanding

3. I have not said anything to baby bores and am letting them grow but what i am saying that i wannt to kill one and try to see what my gun is capable of.
as u refered to Hadith source like this

Go through Sahih Bukhari and you can know what I'm talking about.
do refer to islamic rules regarding hunting and u will find that killing INNOCENT AND HARAM birds/animals is sin unless (they r supposed to b mad,pest etc).
and killing baby bores just to check the performance of new air gun is no justification to this rule

plz try to practice all islamic rules not those which u consider favourable!

4. Plz dont compare airguns of your time with those available now "zameen aasman ka farak hai"
lols..i was not born in early 30s brother
i was twenty one on this 16th :cool:

Max. fps back then would be 500fps and now they range up till 1750fps (1750 fps is much more than the fps of a shaheen cartridge)
and for your kind info the earlier model of diana 35 in 22cal made in west germany and discontinued in 80s was some thing like 535FPS at that time,so correct your knowledge!

and i talked to the manufacturer few days back and he said that the same model is still produced ( as 35 and 35S) with 1000FPS in .177cal and 800FPS in 22cal just for asian and middle east market but it is not displayed on the wedsite of diana!

. What I would like to add is that if killing baby bores with airguns is no fun, killing boars with shotguns is not fun too and all of us shoot bores on jeeps so it's no fun at all.
well choice is your,i am no one to abstain u ,as i already mentioned i expressed my humble opinion as a fellow hunter and BTW
if its not fun then why u agreed previously

22lr for foxes, shotgun or rifle (not less than .243 or .270) for wild boars. I agree.
lols........

As far as killing babies is concerned, most of us shoot at a flock/herd of wild boars. Often they just kill one or sometimes 2 and injure another one or two adults and 2-3 babies
dont just think it in your own way of hunting there r others too who practice hunting rules and ethics!

5. I don't have a shotgun/rifle myself at this age so i cannot kill bores with any of these

this is the reason for the early age (7 to 17) being so janooni as one is dependent on others and has no liberty to go anywhere he wants ca one has nothing like shotgun and rifle in his own name!

i bet you don't know big bore airguns. In america, people have hunted small deer and other animals such as boars too with airguns.
we all (most of us here) know my brother,as every one has DSL these days
hmmm.....many people say like this as u said
in america there is this and that but tell me how many of such r available here ?

7. My passion is not airguns, but rifle and shotguns but i have to stick to airguns for the time being due to being under age..

well u took it again wrongly,
regards to your airgun passion as i said was jut to express my feelings that i have observed u to be the most passionate hunter of airguns on this forum but lolssssss, u took it wrongly!!!
SO REGARDS TO YOUR SHOTGUN,RIFLE,AND ALL GUNS PASSION!!!!!!!
i am a passionate airgun hunter myself and feel nothing wrong to b associated with airguns,once this ban is lifted up on doves and pigeons u will see me in action with my diana!

HOWEVER, i think when you were young
i am still young :cool:

you had just hunted with airgun and jumped to shotguns recently BUT I have used and hunted extensively with all kinds of airguns. I have hunted with diana 22 and diana 35, the one you had
some of the most senior and highly respected hunters on this forum can give u the proof that i am shooting since 7 and about my wingshooting skills! but it is not about the comparison that u r making by mentioning different airguns and all kind of airguns lols

8. I at this age have hunted and used shotguns and rifles owned by my uncle which i think you started recently[B/]
well i have shot my first partridge and duck at the age of 8 and 9 respectively! using shotgun of my dad!

I have, other than some 10 different airguns, used [B]ppsh 41 (.30 cal rifle), .22 remington, and hunted with/used Turkish (Tomahawk), German and english (holland and holland) shotguns
though i am using a browning and baikal and had the pleasure to shoot with a H&H royal grade side lock,but i am never and will never be impressed by big names as u mentioned.
My strategy is simple and straight
on any given day of wing shooting i will prefer my economical shotgun with hundreds of cartridges over a billion dollar shotgun of any body else (even my brother) with only 10 cartridges!

If I want to, I can go to my uncle anytime in my vacations ( when he goes to his village near pattoki) and can use any of his 25 firearms
AND IT was not abuot going to uncle`s place and doing this and that,it was all about the humble opinion i shared with u as a PG friend!

for the main theme i was refering to in my previous post just see the post number 13 from ARSLAN-TAREEN BROTHER in the following link
http://www.pakguns.com/showthread.php?6926-Max-Game-Size-per-Caliber
and last but not the least Sorry for making this lengthy and no hard feelings. :)

Birdshooter007
28-08-2011, 12:39 PM
1. Then can I assume you shot your neighbor's dogs??
2. I don't understand what you're trying to say.
3.About boars, your answer is in your post, (THEY ARE PESTS, I bet you didn't know). Yeah I want to see what the gun is capable of so if a boar attacks my property or anything I can neutralize the threat, and I don't consider any rule favorable. Nothing wrong, I guess?? :)
4. Sorry for mistaking your age. :D
5. Common sense is that you round off 535 to 500 or 550 so sorry, my mistake and I know it was 535 fps. And most people prefer buying the newer and better model than the 35, the model 34 and that is claimed to be around 800 fps, although it's ,much less. 800fps for model 35, so why would people buy 54 airking or 350 magnum which are heavy boulders just for the sake of 100 fps? You know the claimed fps of 350mag in .22 is 1150 (but it goes nowhere near).
6. lols. ;) I agreed because you can shoot a single boar with a shotgun which is roaming around (not in a flock).. And you can't object to me agreeing as you know 90% of our hunters use shotguns for boar hunting and with (SG or aometimes LG cartridges instead of slugs). so yeah there is no harm in using slugs for boars. Did you get my reason for agreeing?
7. Wait a second dude, I am the most ethical hunter here !! :) I HAVE NEVER HUNTED A BOAR IN MY LIFE, LET ALONE WITH A SHOTGUN, so don't go on to my ethics bro, get your facts straight.
8. You may be janooni, I'm not :D
9. You took it wrongly. You said airguns are meant for hunting small game, believe me they are not. About them being available here, I don't know, you have airguns available here which are over 1000fps.
10. I never mentioned that there is anything wrong with airgun hunting and I am proud of it too.
11. Congrats young bro.
12. By the way you wrote, I thought you were a newbie to shotguns. AND GO A BIT AHEAD, THERE IS MUCH MORE THAN COMPARISON OF AIRGUNS.
13. Congrats.
14. I never wrote the 'big' names to impress you. BTW are tomahawk and some german shotguns considered 'big names'?? LOL :)
Secondly if the billion dollar shotgun was with hundreds of cartridges, why not opt for it? :)
15. I know it was not about going to one's uncle's place, I wrote this as you considered me a 'jihalat' hunter like you mentioned you were, I said I'm NOt :) And The link you have posted, I have already read his post, let him do what he believes, let me do what i believe and do what you believe (I don't agree with him).

Plz. don't get off-topic and contribute about preferable grains if you have knowledge about them. :D

12GAUGE
28-08-2011, 01:14 PM
@Chauhadry

Calm down dude. no need to get all hyper. take a chill pill. nobody is pushing around. you only seem to think that everybody is out there to get you. calm your senses and read the posts again. these are only humble suggestions. thats all.

Regards.

p.s. I took think that killing baby bores is a weird idea.

Birdshooter007
28-08-2011, 02:40 PM
ok boss....... chill pill :)

hunter468
28-08-2011, 02:45 PM
1. Then can I assume you shot your neighbor's dogs??
2. I don't understand what you're trying to say.
3.About boars, your answer is in your post, (THEY ARE PESTS, I bet you didn't know). Yeah I want to see what the gun is capable of so if a boar attacks my property or anything I can neutralize the threat, and I don't consider any rule favorable. Nothing wrong, I guess?? :)
4. Sorry for mistaking your age. :D
5. Common sense is that you round off 535 to 500 or 550 so sorry, my mistake and I know it was 535 fps. And most people prefer buying the newer and better model than the 35, the model 34 and that is claimed to be around 800 fps, although it's ,much less. 800fps for model 35, so why would people buy 54 airking or 350 magnum which are heavy boulders just for the sake of 100 fps? You know the claimed fps of 350mag in .22 is 1150 (but it goes nowhere near).
6. lols. ;) I agreed because you can shoot a single boar with a shotgun which is roaming around (not in a flock).. And you can't object to me agreeing as you know 90% of our hunters use shotguns for boar hunting and with (SG or aometimes LG cartridges instead of slugs). so yeah there is no harm in using slugs for boars. Did you get my reason for agreeing?
7. Wait a second dude, I am the most ethical hunter here !! :) I HAVE NEVER HUNTED A BOAR IN MY LIFE, LET ALONE WITH A SHOTGUN, so don't go on to my ethics bro, get your facts straight.
8. You may be janooni, I'm not :D
9. You took it wrongly. You said airguns are meant for hunting small game, believe me they are not. About them being available here, I don't know, you have airguns available here which are over 1000fps.
10. I never mentioned that there is anything wrong with airgun hunting and I am proud of it too.
11. Congrats young bro.
12. By the way you wrote, I thought you were a newbie to shotguns. AND GO A BIT AHEAD, THERE IS MUCH MORE THAN COMPARISON OF AIRGUNS.
13. Congrats.
14. I never wrote the 'big' names to impress you. BTW are tomahawk and some german shotguns considered 'big names'?? LOL :)
Secondly if the billion dollar shotgun was with hundreds of cartridges, why not opt for it? :)
15. I know it was not about going to one's uncle's place, I wrote this as you considered me a 'jihalat' hunter like you mentioned you were, I said I'm NOt :) And The link you have posted, I have already read his post, let him do what he believes, let me do what i believe and do what you believe (I don't agree with him).

IN FAVOUR OF FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT OF THE FORUM,NO FURTHER COMMENTS FROM MY SIDE!

Plz. don't get off-topic and contribute about preferable grains if you have knowledge about them. :D[/B]
i have already my input in post number 2

@Chauhadry

Calm down dude. no need to get all hyper. take a chill pill. nobody is pushing around. you only seem to think that everybody is out there to get you. calm your senses and read the posts again. these are only humble suggestions. thats all.

Regards.

p.s. I took think that killing baby bores is a weird idea.

and thank u mods for endorsing my opinion,u got what i was meaning!

Arslan_tareen
28-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Since we live in a free society and every one has the right to there opinions and questions so Choudry brother i would like to add my opinion .
Please oh please for the love of God do not shoot any thing bigger then a rabbit with a air gun , wild life or a life is not for yours to have a "Bit of a Challenge" you want to show off your aim , shoot as a professional shooter and win a Gold medal for your country , leave the poor wild life alone , i am not gonna give you the religious and ethical side of your statements since nor its my right nor place to lecture you on that , but if you would like me to provide the proof let me know .
as for as killing a baby , i think even the farmers who's crops are destroyed by boars usually think three times before killing a baby boar and that with a Air gun one must seriously have issues to carry on such act .

As of rabbit shots i would advice you to use 16 gr ,(shot placement)
Doves can be shot with 9 gr but shot placement must be really really good .
Pigeons again either use your 14gr or 16gr pellets ,
i am not aware of the fps of you weapon so i will not comment on any thing bigger then 18 gr .
as for foxes i would like to ask you humbly to read some articles of WWF Pakistan regarding there dire situation in Pakistan .
Jackals well i have never seen any one have a clean kill over that poor thing even with a .22lr let alone a mere pellet .

Birdshooter007
28-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks Arsalan tareen for the input about preferable grains. My gun is around 1000 fps..
I wrote fox by mistake, was going to write jackal... I will shoot jackals as already a jackal has bitten someone in my house and they killed my birds, I don't even know anything about foxes! As far as killing baby boars is concerned, they will grow to become even more vicious :)

Birdshooter007
28-08-2011, 08:36 PM
IN FAVOUR OF FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT OF THE FORUM,NO FURTHER COMMENTS FROM MY SIDE!

i have already my input in post number 2

and thank u mods for endorsing my opinion,u got what i was meaning!

1. That's appreciated.
2. Something more precise especially about jackals.