PDA

View Full Version : Dry Firing!

babaz7
06-08-2011, 08:08 PM
hello everyone,

i have a question,and i know its a noob question even though i have owned my gun since a year..but recently like a week ago i started to dry fire my weapon alot, like 200 times a day trying to practice the reset on my glock 17...so in simple answer,is it hurting my gun that i dry fire it or not?

and also can anyone help me i want to get trijicon night sights for my g17 where can i get them and how much? thanks!

Ameer
06-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Definitely it will affect your gun especially after 200 dry fires.

Glocky
06-08-2011, 08:26 PM
There is no problem with dry firing most modern era handguns (.22 are an exception). I've dry fired my Glocks thousands of times without any adverse effects. You also need to remember that Glocks need to be dry fired in order to dismantle, so i doubt the manufacturer would have put the reliability of the weapon at risk. Hope puts your worries at ease.

Furrukh
07-08-2011, 02:31 AM
My shooting instructor advised me to place a small piece of cloth near the firing pin in order to cover it and dry fire till you please. He says that trigger pulling expertise can only be achieved if you dry fire prior to the real thing.

Faisji
07-08-2011, 04:05 AM
Definitely it will affect your gun especially after 200 dry fires.

NOTSUREIFSRS.jpg

Glocks can take 1000s of dry fires without issues.

Ameer
07-08-2011, 10:52 PM
NOTSUREIFSRS.jpg

Glocks can take 1000s of dry fires without issues.

Easy living for glock owners

HussainAli
08-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Dear Babaz7 Bro, Modren Handguns can be "Dry Fired" with any issue or malfunction.

Regards

sights
08-08-2011, 04:07 PM
As learned members already mentioned "Dry firing modern weapons does not damage", if proper care is taken, yet for old weapons snap caps must be used.

nirma1230
03-09-2011, 12:05 PM
interesting thread you share, thanks to share with us, i like it very much and i find it very help full, hope that you will keep it up

AHMEDPG
03-09-2011, 03:45 PM
hello everyone,

i have a question,and i know its a noob question even though i have owned my gun since a year..but recently like a week ago i started to dry fire my weapon alot, like 200 times a day trying to practice the reset on my glock 17...so in simple answer,is it hurting my gun that i dry fire it or not?

and also can anyone help me i want to get trijicon night sights for my g17 where can i get them and how much? thanks!

Dear Babaz7,

You go it! I like folks to use a SNAP cap when they dry fire for two big reasons? First it ensures that you are knowing whats in the chamber when you Pull the trigger and second, it's better for the Pistol! Dry fire is not good for most autos' and many revolvers don't handle it well either! YES, you will have to Chamber a new one and cock the gun, I like to use a Mag of like 6 then all I do is dry fire, Manually operate the slide, chamber a new snap cap and repeat, it's a slow, steady deal and it's relaxing once you get into the cadence of it? Plus, It lets you focus on the Most Important part, that of Squeezing the tripper, not jerking or Yanking it? LOL In all seriousness, more folks should Dry fire more, thier trips to the range and Day to Day life, shooting would improve greatly! Good question and Good Luck in this, let us know how it works out for ya, OK?

Regards
Ahmed

M.ASIF KHAN
03-09-2011, 09:55 PM
As learned members already mentioned "Dry firing modern weapons does not damage", if proper care is taken, yet for old weapons snap caps must be used.

you are right bro

Furrukh
07-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Dear Babaz7,

You go it! I like folks to use a SNAP cap when they dry fire for two big reasons? First it ensures that you are knowing whats in the chamber when you Pull the trigger and second, it's better for the Pistol! Dry fire is not good for most autos' and many revolvers don't handle it well either! YES, you will have to Chamber a new one and cock the gun, I like to use a Mag of like 6 then all I do is dry fire, Manually operate the slide, chamber a new snap cap and repeat, it's a slow, steady deal and it's relaxing once you get into the cadence of it? Plus, It lets you focus on the Most Important part, that of Squeezing the tripper, not jerking or Yanking it? LOL In all seriousness, more folks should Dry fire more, thier trips to the range and Day to Day life, shooting would improve greatly! Good question and Good Luck in this, let us know how it works out for ya, OK?

Regards
Ahmed?

Where did you get the snap caps from bro ?

AHMEDPG
08-09-2011, 02:08 AM
?

Where did you get the snap caps from bro ?

Dear Farukh bro,

I got snap caps from my friend as he is on-duty at special brand karachi (CM House). Also i have no problem for fire shooting range because of my several freinds in police.

Furrukh
08-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Dear Farukh bro,

I got snap caps from my friend as he is on-duty at special brand karachi (CM House). Also i have no problem for fire shooting range because of my several freinds in police.

Shooting range is not a problem, I just wanted info on snap caps.

AHMEDPG
09-09-2011, 02:07 AM
Shooting range is not a problem, I just wanted info on snap caps.

noted thanks.

Trigger_happy78
09-09-2011, 08:29 AM
I agree with what furrukh bro, I you want to dry fire your gun, you should use snap caps. But glocks and CZ's are ok to dryfire without snap caps.

Furrukh
09-09-2011, 08:21 PM
I agree with what furrukh bro, I you want to dry fire your gun, you should use snap caps. But glocks and CZ's are ok to dryfire without snap caps.

How about the taurus PT 92/99 ?

Ameer
09-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Is there a list in reality that withstand dry firing and guns that dont.

Furrukh
12-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Is there a list in reality that withstand dry firing and guns that dont.

Most modern firearms can withstand dry firing.

Trajan
12-09-2011, 07:06 PM
While Glocky is right, I would STILL rather use a snap cap. I am told that if one is unable to find a snapcap, then a used/empty cartridge would also do. I am not taking any chances with my defensive weapons on which i might someday depend my life on. Especially when snap caps are so cheap. I picked up a packet of 4x 9mm snaps from dealer in DHA for Rs. 1000/- .

Also, you dont have to chamber the round again and again in ALL handguns. MOST double action handguns would drop the hammer again and again without the need of re-operating the slide. This is also true for many Taurus which have a double strike capability built in. For revolvers, you might have to fill in all chambers with used/empty cartridges.

Furrukh
12-09-2011, 07:13 PM
While Glocky is right, I would STILL rather use a snap cap. I am told that if one is unable to find a snapcap, then a used/empty cartridge would also do. I am not taking any chances with my defensive weapons on which i might someday depend my life on. Especially when snap caps are so cheap. I picked up a packet of 4x 9mm snaps from dealer in DHA for Rs. 1000/- .

Also, you dont have to chamber the round again and again in ALL handguns. MOST double action handguns would drop the hammer again and again without the need of re-operating the slide. This is also true for many Taurus which have a double strike capability built in. For revolvers, you might have to fill in all chambers with used/empty cartridges.

Which brand of snap caps you got ?

Trajan
12-09-2011, 08:48 PM
3970@ Furrukh. I don't remember the brand. I am attaching the pics though. They seem to be well made and serve the purpose.

Furrukh
12-09-2011, 10:19 PM
3970@ Furrukh. I don't remember the brand. I am attaching the pics though. They seem to be well made and serve the purpose.

These are Italian. Asking price was 1500 when I enquired. I bought Pachmayar which is American for 1000 bucks

Ameer
12-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Thankyou Furrukh and Trajan for easing the Dry Fire puzzle.

Huzaifa
10-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Can someone please answer my questions about SNAP CAPS.

1- Where can i find the Snap Caps?
2- Does it work for dry firing (Any experiece)?
3- How much does it cost?
4- Availability for my TT 636?

"A snap cap is a device which appears similar to a standard firearm cartridge but contains no primer or projectile and is used to ensure dry firing older firearms of certain designs does not cause damage. Snap caps contain a spring-damped false primer which absorbs the force from the firing pin allowing the user to safely test the function of the firearm without damaging the components of the firearm."

HussainAli
10-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Can someone please answer my questions about SNAP CAPS.

Dear Huzaifa Bro, SNAP CAPS are avaiable in KHI market @ 1200 PKR to 1500 PKR per pack of 04 in 9MM. I am not sure that .30 is avaiable or not.

Regards

Huzaifa
10-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Dear Huzaifa Bro, SNAP CAPS are avaiable in KHI market @ 1200 PKR to 1500 PKR per pack of 04 in 9MM. I am not sure that .30 is avaiable or not.

Regards

Thank you Hussain bhai; Is it effective for dry firing?

Wolf Hunter
10-10-2011, 02:52 PM
When we talk of dry firing we must keep this in mind that we are not doing justice to our weapons.Well I 'll define it for my brothers that while dry firing when triggers is pressed then only the hammer works and only trigger mechanisim functions where as slides does not move.Now you see you deprive your gun ( by a dry fire) from its natural mechanical move and only trigger, hammer, firing pin and firing pin spring start getting worn out leaving the slide , slide spring and ejector untouched/un moved so the proportion of weapon is physicaly, geometrically and mechanically disturbed.So dry firing if not avoided should be kept least minimum.

Huzaifa
10-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Nicely explained. Thanks Wolf Hunter brother for the advice.

HussainAli
11-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Thank you Hussain bhai; Is it effective for dry firing?

Dear Huzaifa Bro, It sure does help in dry firing as............................

it helps in safe function of Firing PIN even without ammo.

Regards

Huzaifa
11-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Dear Huzaifa Bro, It sure does help in dry firing as............................

it helps in safe function of Firing PIN even without ammo.

Regards

Thank you Bhai jan

alisyed
25-10-2011, 12:59 PM
@wolf completely disagree on your logic here. When a bullet goes off, the slides fly back and forth. That is not the case with a snap cap, and hence your logic of 'geometrically and mechanically disturbed' is disturbing.

The purpose of a snap cap is to safe guard the firing pin, period! A firing ping is forced to stay within its operational specs when a bullet is present since its motion is stopped by the primer. In a dry fire without a snap cap, the firing pin may come to a stop because of opposing forces on the firing pin spring or by exerting pressure on other areas not designed for it. That said, modern semi's typically do not need it but precaution is always good. Rimfires and older guns should always be used with snapcap for firing.

@trajan - PLEASE PLEASE do something about the color - use a marker if need be to make red. It might save someones life one day. Even a small source of confusion of live vs dummy round ammo is too great a risk.

When we talk of dry firing we must keep this in mind that we are not doing justice to our weapons.Well I 'll define it for my brothers that while dry firing when triggers is pressed then only the hammer works and only trigger mechanisim functions where as slides does not move.Now you see you deprive your gun ( by a dry fire) from its natural mechanical move and only trigger, hammer, firing pin and firing pin spring start getting worn out leaving the slide , slide spring and ejector untouched/un moved so the proportion of weapon is physicaly, geometrically and mechanically disturbed.So dry firing if not avoided should be kept least minimum.

taha
25-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Very information thread. Can someone please tell me specifically about Chinese .30 bore and Zastava M57? Are they build to sustain dry firing like modern fire arms?

Thanks...

Wolf Hunter
25-10-2011, 05:44 PM
@wolf completely disagree on your logic here. When a bullet goes off, the slides fly back and forth. That is not the case with a snap cap, and hence your logic of 'geometrically and mechanically disturbed' is disturbing.
alisyed brother there is nothing as diturbing stated here as it is making you :) I tried to clear a simple thing that firing a bullet moves every part of a handgun whereas dry firing brings wear for only trigger, striker and firingpin/firingpin spring.So technically the wearing all parts in equal ratio is there. Moreover in dry firing the thin film of oil is removed and a users neglects it having false perception that handgun is clean and does not not need any lubrication.

Trajan
25-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Very information thread. Can someone please tell me specifically about Chinese .30 bore and Zastava M57? Are they build to sustain dry firing like modern fire arms?

Thanks...

@ Taha: Even if the handguns are meant to withstand dry firing, i would still recommend the use of Snap caps in all handguns for extended dry firing exercises. They are an investment of around Rs. 1,000 for 3-4 snap caps and that not a bad investment at all. I say better be safe than sorry esp when the cost of being safe is low. regards.

Ahnab
25-10-2011, 11:42 PM
As Wolf Hunter bro said, by dry firing the slide doesn't "recoil" to complete it's intended function. So what if we manually racked the slide after each pull of the trigger while dry firing? Won't that simulate the function of all the pistol's parts while firing? If so, then ideally we should be able to dry fire to our heart's content without any fears of causing mechanical "disturbances".

Wolf Hunter
26-10-2011, 01:07 AM
As Wolf Hunter bro said, by dry firing the slide doesn't "recoil" to complete it's intended function. So what if we manually racked the slide after each pull of the trigger while dry firing? Won't that simulate the function of all the pistol's parts while firing? If so, then ideally we should be able to dry fire to our heart's content without any fears of causing mechanical "disturbances".
I must appreciate your observations and then bringing out solution of such seemingly unresolvable issues.This can an appropriate way but still if kept to its minimum, is always ideal.Instead of firing dry, what is more desirable to practice aiming, improving gripping, making multiple body move, controlling breath & acquiring aims and then pressing trigger ( Dry fire ) one odd times.We can not/should not use our weapons like forces do.They are provided with new equipment, new weapons and new spares in case of wearing/broken or service life basis but here no one will provide us anything and ultimately we ourselves will have to bear loss :)

taha
26-10-2011, 10:07 AM
I must appreciate your observations and then bringing out solution of such seemingly unresolvable issues.This can an appropriate way but still if kept to its minimum, is always ideal.Instead of firing dry, what is more desirable to practice aiming, improving gripping, making multiple body move, controlling breath & acquiring aims and then pressing trigger ( Dry fire ) one odd times.We can not/should not use our weapons like forces do.They are provided with new equipment, new weapons and new spares in case of wearing/broken or service life basis but here no one will provide us anything and ultimately we ourselves will have to bear loss :)
The first thing that comes to my mind during reading this, is the number #1 rule of fire arms - always treat your gun as if it were loaded. Not saying if it connects to above posts or not, just a thought...

taha
26-10-2011, 10:09 AM
@ Taha: Even if the handguns are meant to withstand dry firing, i would still recommend the use of Snap caps in all handguns for extended dry firing exercises. They are an investment of around Rs. 1,000 for 3-4 snap caps and that not a bad investment at all. I say better be safe than sorry esp when the cost of being safe is low. regards.
Thanks Trajan for your opinion - just another question : how long (fires) can one snap cap sustain dry firing before breaking or becoming unusable otherwise?

Trajan
26-10-2011, 10:42 AM
@ taha: i have Snap caps of A Zoom brand. I have done about 400-500 dry fires w/ no issues so far with my snapcaps for rifles and handguns with no issues. I am sure they would last a LOT longer. They do get dings if you eject them by racking the slide (with the ejector leaving a mark on them) and after heavy use these could get to the point that the snap caps need replacing.

taha
26-10-2011, 11:33 AM
@ taha: i have Snap caps of A Zoom brand. I have done about 400-500 dry fires w/ no issues so far with my snapcaps for rifles and handguns with no issues. I am sure they would last a LOT longer. They do get dings if you eject them by racking the slide (with the ejector leaving a mark on them) and after heavy use these could get to the point that the snap caps need replacing.
Thanks! That's satisfactory enough.
Just another question: If I am not a firearms license holder, can I get a pack of snap caps from any dealer?

Trajan
26-10-2011, 08:16 PM
@ Taha: Bro, the answer is YES you can purchase snap caps from anywhere / any dealer. These are not firearms or ammunition. You can purchase them the same way you can purchase gun cleaners, gun cleaning kits, accessories for guns such as stocks, slings etc etc without a license :)

Wolf Hunter
27-10-2011, 01:48 AM
Basic function of SEAR is to hold the hammer in cocked or hald cocked position and dry firing brings the maximum wear of sear.A worn out sear will tend to release the hammer when we or slide is pusshing it back. Now you can well imagine the likely results when you dont intend to fire next round but your handgun's hammer does it....
Scenario is left for your imaginations :)

HussainAli
27-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Basic function of SEAR is to hold the hammer in cocked or hald cocked position and dry firing brings the maximum wear of sear.A worn out sear will tend to release the hammer when we or slide is pusshing it back. Now you can well imagine the likely results when you dont intend to fire next round but your handgun's hammer does it....

Dear WH Bro, Acedents can be anytime any How, May God Safe us All from Guns accidents................

About ware out of "Sear" and other hammer /trigger parts............ Please be noted that most of world renowned Handguns and their true clones "DO" have a "Recommended Lifecycle"..........................

So anything within the limits of lifecycle is fine and workable............. no matter its DRY or Warm Fire.......... lifecycle will end equally................

So would reimage and refrain handgun /weapon after recommended lifecycle.................. example most of weapons even imported clones have approx 5000 plus rounds as their lifecycle ............so if you have "Dry Fired" enough then ....its sure something to worry about ....................

Otherwise, keep smiling keep using ................."In a Safe manner"................

Hope it clears

Regards

taha
27-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Overall what I'm understanding from this is: If we use snap caps, it'll wear out sear mechanism; and if we don't, hammer is directly effected. Neither gives the protection a firearm requires.

In other words- whether the stone hits the glass or glass hits the stone, it ain't going to hurt the stone...

Edit: Just saw HussainAli's post above mine- still, more expert advise...?

Furrukh
01-11-2011, 11:14 PM
The firing pin does not have a mind of its own. Whether it hits a bullet or a snap cap it doesn't matter.

Buri cheez
06-04-2012, 10:21 PM

Regards thanks HussainAli...i had this question in mind for quite sometime now.. thanks

lunaticx
07-04-2012, 07:47 AM
found this video on youtube regarding DRY FIRE .. check it out frndzzzz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iut30zJNfpg

Buri cheez
07-04-2012, 10:00 AM
found this video on youtube regarding DRY FIRE .. check it out frndzzzz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iut30zJNfpg
good one...

lunaticx
08-04-2012, 05:22 AM
good one...
thnx bro..

torontoboyo
04-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Now these snap caps are worth the money

Enigmatic Desires
04-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Never dry fire if u can use snap caps. And if u cant find the caps. use a used shell instead.