PDA

View Full Version : Gun Cleaning Kits

Furrukh
14-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Boys,

At present the following is the list of my cleaning my arsenal

1. Brunox Spray
2. Hoppes No. 9 Oil

Would you recommend Hoppes Gun Powder Solvent too or Brunox is sufficient ?

Also I am using home made swabs and the brush provided by the company to clean my weapon. Is this sufficient or I need to get a cleaning kit for my 9mm ? I have noticed that nearly all the cleaning kits come with copper brushes. Are copper brushes recommended ? I mean to say wont they harm / scratch the internals of the barrel ?

The cleaning kits which I saw whilst window shopping come with bristles brushes, I guess a normal old clean toothbrush would do, but I do not see its utility as the stock nylon brush plus some ear buds dipped in Brunox would do, or I may be wrong....

Lastly the 9mm cleaning kits by Otis and Hoppes are retailing for around 4-5k but they include everything like bristels brush, swabs, different kinds / types of barrel brushes, but for some reason I do not feel like spending 5 thousand on a kit !! Any suggestions ??

SalmanHusain
14-07-2011, 09:22 PM
i think kit is one time investment!!! but its a personal view, and can a tooth brush enter 9mm barrel?? i just clean my air rifle with any lubricant or organic solvent!! lol

harisnaeem
14-07-2011, 10:02 PM
I bought Hoppes Universal Gun Cleaning kit from Al Sayyed for about 2600 PKR

Furrukh
14-07-2011, 11:11 PM
i think kit is one time investment!!! but its a personal view, and can a tooth brush enter 9mm barrel?? i just clean my air rifle with any lubricant or organic solvent!! lol

Yeah but bro like I said earlier that I use my barrel rod as well as the nylon brush to clean the barrel. A tooth brush is used to loosen the dirt, grim etc from the insides like the slides and all

Furrukh
14-07-2011, 11:12 PM
I bought Hoppes Universal Gun Cleaning kit from Al Sayyed for about 2600 PKR

Al Sayyed is located at ?

ACHILLES
14-07-2011, 11:31 PM
good cleaning kit like otis or hoppes should not cost more than 2500/- & is recommanded for a novice to midlevel shooter.

HussainAli
14-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Dear Furrukh Bahi, I am yet to understand the reason of your question or in other words "What is disturbing your mind".

Because you already have enough tools to remove carbon /dust /rust....and to preserve your jewel for years.

Bro, All standard Handgun of well known brands and even some local clones have tempered alloy material used in barrels, trigger group and extractor etc... or in parts which are in direct contract with Gun powder...............

The reason of cleaning is to mainly remove carbon /Rust (If any) and then lubricate. You know "Hobbies" does not count money or efforts, so few members has made wonderful Target stands, Carrying Boxes etc just due to enjoying their hobbies, some member have spend hundreds & thousands on cleaning kits.

So it all depends how much you can spare out of pocket !!!!, like in another thread I have explained my method of cleaning (which does not involve costly kit) with a proven track record of standard cleaning for years !!!!

And even you have also explained your experience which seems wonderful.

Therefore if you can spare few thousands then do buy any kit, but if you are looking forward to calendar dates to fill your wallet then your existing stuff is "All YOU NEED" just take care that "YOU remove Carbon and Lubricate" .................

Hope I have made myself & your mind clear !!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers & Regards

Trigger_happy78
15-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Furrukh bro all you need is hoppes elite kit for a 9mm, it costs 2500, it has a oil boresnake, its a wonderful device,

Furrukh
15-07-2011, 08:23 PM
good cleaning kit like otis or hoppes should not cost more than 2500/- & is recommanded for a novice to midlevel shooter.

Yeah these butchers in Karachi are charging 4 to 5 k for the kits. I saw a kit at a leading supermarket in Karachi and he was charging 2500 but the kit was for a rifle !!!

Furrukh
15-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Furrukh bro all you need is hoppes elite kit for a 9mm, it costs 2500, it has a oil boresnake, its a wonderful device,

Trigger bhai, the boresnake kit was for 6000 and reduced down to 5000 !!!!

Furrukh
15-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Dear Furrukh Bahi, I am yet to understand the reason of your question or in other words "What is disturbing your mind".

Because you already have enough tools to remove carbon /dust /rust....and to preserve your jewel for years.

Bro, All standard Handgun of well known brands and even some local clones have tempered alloy material used in barrels, trigger group and extractor etc... or in parts which are in direct contract with Gun powder...............

The reason of cleaning is to mainly remove carbon /Rust (If any) and then lubricate. You know "Hobbies" does not count money or efforts, so few members has made wonderful Target stands, Carrying Boxes etc just due to enjoying their hobbies, some member have spend hundreds & thousands on cleaning kits.

So it all depends how much you can spare out of pocket !!!!, like in another thread I have explained my method of cleaning (which does not involve costly kit) with a proven track record of standard cleaning for years !!!!

And even you have also explained your experience which seems wonderful.

Therefore if you can spare few thousands then do buy any kit, but if you are looking forward to calendar dates to fill your wallet then your existing stuff is "All YOU NEED" just take care that "YOU remove Carbon and Lubricate" .................

Hope I have made myself & your mind clear !!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers & Regards

Too be very honest Hussain bhai, your method of cleaning for a bloke like me is too lenghty. Now whats disturbing me..... Gun powder solvent or Brunox ? Copper brush or Nylon brush ?

Denovo87
15-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Too be very honest Hussain bhai, your method of cleaning for a bloke like me is too lenghty. Now whats disturbing me..... Gun powder solvent or Brunox ? Copper brush or Nylon brush ?

For routine (after each range/shot session) cleaning Brunox + Nylon brush+++ snugly fit cotton rag with rod for final cleaning.
After every 500 or so rounds use copper brush first for thorough scrub then above, you can do brushing with copper/gun powder solvent for better result. Thorough cleaning of internals is also advised after 500 rounds (if you are comfortable with doing that).

And dont get afraid of copper/bronze brush it will not hurt the barrel, if you still are reluctant try inserting the projectile side of bullet from the muzzle you will have an idea how much abuse a barrel can withstand to.

HussainAli
15-07-2011, 11:26 PM

Dear Furrukh Bro, You really got my point, Yes I do it as a "Long Method", but save money sometimes when cleaning mix handguns, rifles and some PB ........ some 4 to 6 weapon it easily takes 2 to 3 hours end-to-end...

But yes if I start using the complete cleaning kit like the one mentioned.....then my cleaning time will be half to quarter or so...

So this is what I highlighted in your hobby you have to "Invest" either "YOUR TIME" or YOUR MONEY".

Regards

Furrukh
16-07-2011, 01:12 AM
For routine (after each range/shot session) cleaning Brunox + Nylon brush+++ snugly fit cotton rag with rod for final cleaning.
After every 500 or so rounds use copper brush first for thorough scrub then above, you can do brushing with copper/gun powder solvent for better result. Thorough cleaning of internals is also advised after 500 rounds (if you are comfortable with doing that).

And dont get afraid of copper/bronze brush it will not hurt the barrel, if you still are reluctant try inserting the projectile side of bullet from the muzzle you will have an idea how much abuse a barrel can withstand to.

Thanks for taking the time out and putting in your 2 cents Den bro. I was under the impression that after that entire episode of Bhooka Nanga you were pissed off, but I guess I was wrong

Brunox can states that it removes moisture, sweat, copper, rust and lead so I thought that just using Brunox was sufficient. Besides I seldomly visit the range and the max I shoot is 30 to 40 rounds but I guess when I cross 500 rounds in total I have to start using copper brushes too. What if I use the gun powder solvent after shooting only 40 rounds ? Or just Brunox would do ?

Furrukh
16-07-2011, 01:16 AM
Boys,

I have my eyes on this baby for the past 4 months. Tell me if it is worth 4000 bucks.

Product Details
The Deluxe Military Cleaning System is specifically designed to clean and maintain all 5.56MM, 7.62MM, 9MM, .40 caliber, .45 caliber, .50 caliber, and 12 gauge weapon systems. Now automatics can be cleaned correctly from Breech-to-Muzzle® without disassembly. The Memory-Flex® cleaning rods, slotted tips, 100% cotton cleaning patches, bore brushes, and CLP allow you to quickly clean the receiver, chamber, neck and bore. The obstruction remover is used to knock out bore obstructions and stuck cases. Components from the scraper tool set are also included. These tools are key to precision cleaning of your weapon. They are designed to clean areas such as the bolt, bolt face, receiver, trigger group and slides, as well as any other hard to reach area of your firearm is worth 4000 bucks or not.

Furrukh
16-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Dear Furrukh Bro, You really got my point, Yes I do it as a "Long Method", but save money sometimes when cleaning mix handguns, rifles and some PB ........ some 4 to 6 weapon it easily takes 2 to 3 hours end-to-end...

But yes if I start using the complete cleaning kit like the one mentioned.....then my cleaning time will be half to quarter or so...

So this is what I highlighted in your hobby you have to "Invest" either "YOUR TIME" or YOUR MONEY".

Regards

No wonder I respect you so much. You are one suljha hua and practical individual. You are right about the time / money investment lolzzz. I have posted the product details below. Have a look and lemme know what you think.

It is one hell of a kit and I guess its a life time investment.........

Denovo87
16-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks for taking the time out and putting in your 2 cents Den bro. I was under the impression that after that entire episode of Bhooka Nanga you were pissed off, but I guess I was wrong

What exactly does that mean? :twitch: by the way I was under the impression that you were a shareef admi but it seems your above quoted post was written under the influence.

HussainAli
16-07-2011, 10:58 AM
No wonder I respect you so much. You are one suljha hua and practical individual. You are right about the time / money investment lolzzz. I have posted the product details below. Have a look and lemme know what you think.

It is one hell of a kit and I guess its a life time investment.........

Dear Furrukh Bahi, Many Many thanks for your kind words, really makes me glad......... God Bless You too Brother....

About the cleaning kit........ I figured out you have a "Soft Corner" for this cleaning kit............. Bro "Go for It" its is sure a life time investment.

Regards

Furrukh
16-07-2011, 12:38 PM
What exactly does that mean? :twitch: by the way I was under the impression that you were a shareef admi but it seems your above quoted post was written under the influence.

Lolzz no. We had a slight disagreement on that thread, that is what I was referring to. But doesn't matter, I really value your feedback and suggestions. God bless you brother.

Topak
16-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Boys,

I have my eyes on this baby for the past 4 months. Tell me if it is worth 4000 bucks.

Product Details
The Deluxe Military Cleaning System is specifically designed to clean and maintain all 5.56MM, 7.62MM, 9MM, .40 caliber, .45 caliber, .50 caliber, and 12 gauge weapon systems. Now automatics can be cleaned correctly from Breech-to-Muzzle® without disassembly. The Memory-Flex® cleaning rods, slotted tips, 100% cotton cleaning patches, bore brushes, and CLP allow you to quickly clean the receiver, chamber, neck and bore. The obstruction remover is used to knock out bore obstructions and stuck cases. Components from the scraper tool set are also included. These tools are key to precision cleaning of your weapon. They are designed to clean areas such as the bolt, bolt face, receiver, trigger group and slides, as well as any other hard to reach area of your firearm is worth 4000 bucks or not.
its very good universal cleaning kit, i bought mine in 2500 RS from Lahore.

Furrukh
16-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Dear Furrukh Bahi, Many Many thanks for your kind words, really makes me glad......... God Bless You too Brother....

About the cleaning kit........ I figured out you have a "Soft Corner" for this cleaning kit............. Bro "Go for It" its is sure a life time.

Regards

Thanks Hussain bhai. I will visit the market today and try to bring the shopkeeper down to 3000. With all the accessories I think 3 grand is a fair price.

Furrukh
16-07-2011, 12:41 PM
its very good universal cleaning kit, i bought mine in 2500 RS from Lahore.

When did you buy yours ? Is it practical and handy for the 9mm ?

Topak
16-07-2011, 05:04 PM
When did you buy yours ? Is it practical and handy for the 9mm ?
about more than six months ago. its good kit and can clean all bore of handguns (pistols / revolvers) shotguns and rifles.it looks mini but its comprehensive.you just need to know which tool need to use where.check the CD provided with it.

HUNTER1
16-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Nice shares.........:ranger:

SPAYPANTHER
16-07-2011, 07:53 PM
finally farrukh bhai got some tools for his black beauty :P let him come and express his feeling about today visit of lucky star... ;)

Furrukh
17-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Thanks boys for your feedback, advises and suggestions. Today, me along with Panther went to the LS market to buy a simple 9mm cleaning kit which at max would take us 30 mins or so I imagined. At first we stopped at the store to check out a comprehensive kit later to discover that the suitability on the kit itself and the box contradicted themselves. We moved on to find a 9mm kit with everything one would want except the 9mm brushes !! The copper brushes either were too big or too small. We then stopped at a small store where the guy made his own kits like local brushes with beretta oil etc and was charging 4 grand for a 1200 rupees kit. The journey started at 2 and it was now 3. I finally decided to get the local cleaning kit which my brother Panther bought a couple of weeks earlier. While finally inspecting the kit I discovered that there was no patch holder available !! No sir it had to be a complete kit, so we went forward on foot and came across a shop which agreed to sell all the items in a 9mm kit individually. The patch holder rod was made of plastic and was orange in colour. I thought to myself that 50 to 100 bucks and I shall get this thing and then buy the incomplete kit which now will be complete, which I saw earlier.

The butcher was demanded 200 frekkin rupees for plastic junk !!! We were so tired and frustrated now that we told him to F off and then went back to the store to FINALLY buy my incomplete kit without the patch holder. Sweet 2 hours and we were finally done.

So you see lads, this passion / hobby is getting the best of me or as my brother Panther puts it, something is wrong with your shopping journies Lolzzzzz

HussainAli
18-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Furrukh Bro, Many Congrad !!!!!! on your new purchase ! at last you have a cleaning kit !!!!!

Hope to see the pictures soon !

Regards

siqbal41
18-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Congrats Farrukh Bro. Please share pics and also advise the dealer name please.
Regards,

Furrukh
18-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Congrats Farrukh Bro. Please share pics and also advise the dealer name please.
Regards,

Dealer name ? hahahahaha Read my post below to evaluate the turmoil I went through. Final dealer was Tayabally

Furrukh
18-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Furrukh Bro, Many Congrad !!!!!! on your new purchase ! at last you have a cleaning kit !!!!!

Hope to see the pictures soon !

Regards

Thanks Hussain bhai. Its not very Hi Fi but I guess covers the basics. I wanted to get a good one but sadly the brushes were not specifically for 9mm so I had to let them go.

arfat110
14-10-2011, 10:57 PM
time for my kits pics 4832

15-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Are copper brushes recommended ? I mean to say wont they harm / scratch the internals of the barrel ?

Excuse my sarcasm but are you asking that a copper brush rubbing barrel from inside would harm it ? Bro a bullet flying off it at 1000+ FPS doesn't harm it.

jaffar
16-10-2011, 02:47 AM
@arfat110 thanks for sharing. What is the price of the kit and where we can buy it ?

Topak
16-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Its OTIS universal kit, can clean from pistol to rifle and shotguns of every and any bore.lahore cost should be 3000 PKR. i bought mine a year back in 2500 from nila gumbed lahore.

HussainAli
17-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Dear Arfat Bro, Nice looking kit...

Hope you have given it a try this weekend ??

Regards

American Lockpicker
18-10-2011, 10:22 PM
I had an otis kit once they are very nice. One thing to remember with those is save a patch of every size(I think theres 2 different sizes) in case you can't find more after you have used them up and you can make spares. Also the manual has an interesting tip: always pull the brush from the breech as it makes them last longer. I now do that with all my brushes in other kits.