PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Storage for more Accessiblity

Furrukh
09-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Brothers,

For months now I have been storing my gun very carefuly. Applied a thin layer of oil on the body, wrapped it up in the polythene bag provided by the company and finally placed it in a box and locked it away.

It occurred to me that this way of storing greatly reduces my accessibility when the need arises. Will it be OK for the gun if I keep it in a holster locked away in my side drawer, or perhaps in my cushioned gun carry case with some silica tablets to keep the moisture away ? but of course without the layer of oil on the body

Please advise for storage for greater accessibility without harming the condition of the pistol for HD

Faisji
09-07-2011, 01:20 AM
Your method is suitable if you were taking out once or twice a year even then after throughly cleaning it first.
HD defense weapon can stored in a drawer with a lock or a holster with a flap to cover the gun for storage purposed.
Oil in the body attracts and traps dirt and other particles that may effect the weapons performance in a emergency.

12GAUGE
09-07-2011, 01:20 AM
AoA bro.

you can always store your handgun in a plastic carry box. just throw in a few desi packs (silica gel) and you'll be ok. just make sure to replace (or reactivate) the silica every month or so.

Regards.

Wolf Hunter
09-07-2011, 01:22 AM
One option is that you can keep your gun out of box, pretty cleaned from oil, and almost ready to use in those timings when you feel unsafe or threatened and when u dont feel like to use/ready to use your weapon then it is always good to keep it as you are keeping.
Second option is to keep it out of box and in ready condition but keep looking after time to time.
Third option is keeping gun in holster but in some loose polythene bag for easy drawing out but only if you live in moistured environments where rust can easily attack the gun.
There are some unavoidable aspects which have to be tolerated whether we like it or not.

HussainAli
09-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Dear Furrukh Bro, This is very well explained in another thread where it is indepth explained about short & long team storage & further,

Where it is also explained that Guns used for SD /HD are kept in a different way.

Regards

Huzaifa
09-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Your method is suitable if you were taking out once or twice a year even then after throughly cleaning it first.
HD defense weapon can stored in a drawer with a lock or a holster with a flap to cover the gun for storage purposed.
Oil in the body attracts and traps dirt and other particles that may effect the weapons performance in a emergency.

Yes, i second Faisji's statement. Most of us used our gun HD & stored in drawer with a lock so kindly explain some easy method.

Furrukh
09-07-2011, 07:01 PM
AoA bro.

you can always store your handgun in a plastic carry box. just throw in a few desi packs (silica gel) and you'll be ok. just make sure to replace (or reactivate) the silica every month or so.

Regards.

Pretty content to discover that you advised what I have already started doing. Thanks 12g bro.

Furrukh
09-07-2011, 07:04 PM

Agreed but by keeping the it in the holster or the plastic box wont attract moisture ? and what are the chances of rust as the pistol would be without the layer of oil ?

Furrukh
09-07-2011, 07:05 PM
One option is that you can keep your gun out of box, pretty cleaned from oil, and almost ready to use in those timings when you feel unsafe or threatened and when u dont feel like to use/ready to use your weapon then it is always good to keep it as you are keeping.
Second option is to keep it out of box and in ready condition but keep looking after time to time.
Third option is keeping gun in holster but in some loose polythene bag for easy drawing out but only if you live in moistured environments where rust can easily attack the gun.
There are some unavoidable aspects which have to be tolerated whether we like it or not.

Makes sense. Thanks bro

Furrukh
09-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Dear Furrukh Bro, This is very well explained in another thread where it is indepth explained about short & long team storage & further,

Where it is also explained that Guns used for SD /HD are kept in a different way.

Regards

Hussain bhai you left me hanging...... The name of the post would have helped...lolz

Ap@ch3
09-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Furrkh bro, i keep mine slightly covered with Wd-40 (re apply it once in a week) cover the gun in a soft static free cloth and keep it in my drawer. Round not chambered, safety off and magazine inserted. The extra ammo should be divided in different rooms as per your game plan in advance. (Knowing which room to begin the fight and which room to end by the time back up/police arrives). You should know what kind of a response time you should have depending on your locality and the structure of your home. You will know what suits you best :)

Furrukh
09-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Furrkh bro, i keep mine slightly covered with Wd-40 (re apply it once in a week) cover the gun in a soft static free cloth and keep it in my drawer. Round not chambered, safety off and magazine inserted. The extra ammo should be divided in different rooms as per your game plan in advance. (Knowing which room to begin the fight and which room to end by the time back up/police arrives). You should know what kind of a response time you should have depending on your locality and the structure of your home. You will know what suits you best :)

Interesting stuff. Are you using JHPs or FMJs ? Word of advise, loose the WD40 and go for Brunox bro

HussainAli
10-07-2011, 03:01 AM
Hussain bhai you left me hanging...... The name of the post would have helped...lolz

Dear Furrukh Bro, Well sharing my personal experience, I wash my Guns /Weapons after firing in Petrol after removing the plastic parts and usually dip the entire weapon into it for 10 to 15 mins, followed by berral cleaning, etc as per recommended procedures & tools and then I make sure to dry them properly in air or sun to get away fumes of petrol.

Then I use Nasa Rest-O-Nil (Previously I used WD40) and simple machine oil in rail & trigger group. Then Guns I need to keep away for long term storage are packed in thick plastic bags fully soaked in Nasa spray and accompanied by Silicon gel.

The Guns for daily used are lightly oiled & Nasa Spray on outer metal frame also (And then dried away with cloth). Then placed in Holster mag IN but not chambered /Safety Locked. (In my extra mag case I have placed a cotton bag of silicon gel to keep it safe and entire pack is being folded in a cotton cloth (Usually used for Car cleaning) This helps to stop direct contact of dust to metal. And placed in a drawer /hand bag etc.

Once in a week or 15 Days check & recheck all functions and apply oil or Nasa only if required otherwise Nasa is very good for KHI atmosphere, as it covers the metal fully stopping moisture and is also non attractive to dust.

And trust me after generations our weapons are still Mashallaha shining like new even after few have fired more then 10,000 rounds.

Hope this clear.

Regards

Ap@ch3
10-07-2011, 05:50 AM
@ Hussain Ali bro, where can we get this Nasa stuff from? price etc?
@ Furrukh, i'm with FMJ's at the moment, but will soon get some Magtech or American JHP's I.A

HussainAli
11-07-2011, 11:53 AM
@ Hussain Ali bro, where can we get this Nasa stuff from? price etc?

Dear Apach3 Bro, Nasa is available everywhere at gun shops in sadder or DHA /Clifton, its about 250/- Rs and size like WD40. Its cheap and really workable.

Regards

Furrukh
11-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Dear Furrukh Bro, Well sharing my personal experience, I wash my Guns /Weapons after firing in Petrol after removing the plastic parts and usually dip the entire weapon into it for 10 to 15 mins, followed by berral cleaning, etc as per recommended procedures & tools and then I make sure to dry them properly in air or sun to get away fumes of petrol.

Then I use Nasa Rest-O-Nil (Previously I used WD40) and simple machine oil in rail & trigger group. Then Guns I need to keep away for long term storage are packed in thick plastic bags fully soaked in Nasa spray and accompanied by Silicon gel.

The Guns for daily used are lightly oiled & Nasa Spray on outer metal frame also (And then dried away with cloth). Then placed in Holster mag IN but not chambered /Safety Locked. (In my extra mag case I have placed a cotton bag of silicon gel to keep it safe and entire pack is being folded in a cotton cloth (Usually used for Car cleaning) This helps to stop direct contact of dust to metal. And placed in a drawer /hand bag etc.

Once in a week or 15 Days check & recheck all functions and apply oil or Nasa only if required otherwise Nasa is very good for KHI atmosphere, as it covers the metal fully stopping moisture and is also non attractive to dust.

And trust me after generations our weapons are still Mashallaha shining like new even after few have fired more then 10,000 rounds.

Hope this clear.

Regards

Now this is what I call extensive clarification. Appreciate your time.

bestmagician83
11-07-2011, 10:29 PM
for the cleaning purpose NASA is good...

I kept my pistol in the box but it is always ready to fire b/c i use to keep the outer surface clean and the inner parts lubricated with oil and very oiled the berral, with out having magz.. when every i want to use it i just take out from the box and charge the magz and FIRE.....

HussainAli
11-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Now this is what I call extensive clarification. Appreciate your time.

Dear Furrukh Bro, Please don't mention.... as you asked for it, So you have it !!!!!!

Regards

Furrukh
12-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Dear Furrukh Bro, Please don't mention.... as you asked for it, So you have it !!!!!!

Regards

You rock :rockon: