PDA

View Full Version : Arms License - Ambiguities! Please clarify!

asifnwb
08-07-2011, 01:30 PM
My question is specific about licenses issued from Sindh. Some licenses are "Sindh Only" and some are "All Pakistan".

I have several arms licenses of pistol, rifle and shotgun. I am unclear about the rules/regulations of arms and ammunition. Can someone please provide me a link/softcopy of all arms and ammunition regulations applicable to my licenses.

Also, I am very ambiguous about the carrying arms with me on the move. If I have the license in my name and with me, then can I carry arms with me anywhere along with licenses?

In an All Pakistan license, can I carry arms with me throughout Pakistan along with the license? And what about during travel by plane/train/bus etc? Will the police have any objection while their random snap checking when they find me with my weapon and license?

And in what condition should the gun legally be in travel? I mean gun and magazine separate, or loaded and ready to fire?

Also, I am unclear about the much heard "144" regulation. What is it all about? How do we know when it applies and when it is lifted?

And when there is a ban on carrying weapons, does this mean we cannot carry weapons with us even when accompanied with our license? Do we have to keep all weapons at home only when this ban applies?

Lastly, when taking weapons on the move for selling/exchanging or when taking to the gunsmith for repair/purchase of parts etc, can we take the weapon for this reason when there is a ban on carrying weapons? Or even this is prohibited?

What shall actually be a crime as per gun regulations regarding carrying weapons that could cause trouble during police check?

Thanks for your patience and kindly clarify my whole lot of queries. Sorry to bother you people with so many questions, but actually these are so that I may not violate any laws! Well, looking up at my own questions, I guess staying lawful is pretty complicated though! :) Waiting for your expert clarifications regarding my ambiguities. Kindly answer all questions one by one. Thank you all.

Naveed_pk
08-07-2011, 06:29 PM
@ Asif Welcome to the Pakguns :) Ok a long list of question awaiting for the answers. I ll try to answer them all according to the best of my knowledge .

Also, I am very ambiguous about the carrying arms with me on the move. If I have the license in my name and with me, then can I carry arms with me anywhere along with licenses?
Yes you can carry your gun where ever you want to .If you are travelling to other province then chk that does your licence is all Pakistan . and when carrying your weapon chk how many number of bullets are allowed to carry . and count them again when leaving from house coz even a single bullet extra than the limit allowed is illegal to carry.

In an All Pakistan license, can I carry arms with me throughout Pakistan along with the license? And what about during travel by plane/train/bus etc? Will the police have any objection while their random snap checking when they find me with my weapon and license?

Yes you can travel all Pakistan with a valid all Pakistan licence . If you travel by air as you enters the security area tell them that you have a gun . before going to airport make surre that your mag is empty and store both gun & ammo in a lock box . The ASF staff will chk your licence , gun , ammo and then they will keep in their custody and will be delivered to you on reaching your destination . Same if you taravel by bus or train inform the security staff there . Police will have no objection if you found with a handgun . Cooperate with them , show your lic , id card if asked . But make sure again the city you are travelling is free from sec 144 or not .

And in what condition should the gun legally be in travel? I mean gun and magazine separate, or loaded and ready to fire?
when traveeling by air keep mag empty and ammo seperarte . both stored in a lockable box . and while travelling in bus or train this will not imply . you can keep the gun with you if the security satff allows

Also, I am unclear about the much heard "144" regulation. What is it all about? How do we know when it applies and when it is lifted?
Dear section 144 comes under many jurisdications. like Sec 144 imposed on pillion riding . Sec 144 imposed on carrying Arms + Pillion riding + 2 or more than 2 persons cannot gather on streets , roads etc . So first see which section of 144 is imposed and then plan yourself to go out . and we never know when it is imposed and when lifted . keep yourself update with news . Usually section 144 is imposed in worst situations in order to keep the city safe

And when there is a ban on carrying weapons, does this mean we cannot carry weapons with us even when accompanied with our license? Do we have to keep all weapons at home only when this ban applies?
Yes when there is ban on carrying weapons your licence stands cancelled . So dont carry your weapon better to keep them at home while leaving. Carry means you are armed and your gun is with u in your holster on your back . On the otherside you can keep it in your car as it is you personal property but the weapon should not be armed . Same apply's ammo seperate and mag empty .

Lastly, when taking weapons on the move for selling/exchanging or when taking to the gunsmith for repair/purchase of parts etc, can we take the weapon for this reason when there is a ban on carrying weapons? Or even this is prohibited?
It is prohibited.

What shall actually be a crime as per gun regulations regarding carrying weapons that could cause trouble during police check?
1) If you have excessive amount of ammo than allowed it is a crime .
2) Carrying a weapon during sec 144
3) Carrying weapons where weapons is strictly not allowed like Airport , Courts , etc

Hope i have answered all your queries up to my knowledge .

Tiger Roars
08-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Very good and informative sharing,,,Weldon brother Naveed_pk.

Naveed_pk
08-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Thank you Tiger Roars bro :)

asifnwb
08-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks for clarification.

One more thing bro, what is the fuss about CARRY PERMIT? Under normal conditions, do we need a carry permit or license is enough? And is there any carry permit for 144 conditions or no carry at all (with or without permit) when 144 is imposed?

From your reply, my understanding is that the problem is in "carrying arms" under 144, and not of "transporting arms" (gun, bullets, magazine separate) under 144. So transporting arms in your recommended manner is safe and legal when section 144 is imposed? The problem is with "carrying arms", am i right?

HussainAli
08-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Dear Naveed_PK Bro, You have really spoke my WORDS, Very well Explained !!!!

Dear SaifNwb Bro, Welcome to PakGuns Forum, I requste you have asked already disscussed questions, we have indepth /detailed, kindly go through these threads and will get every answer accordringly to Law & in clear words.

Regards

Kakar
08-07-2011, 11:44 PM
I had already prepared and saved the answers in the afternoon. Thought why not copy paste it. Sorry for duplication. Mods may delete the post if desired.

Q) Can someone please provide me a link/softcopy of all arms and ammunition regulations applicable to my licenses.

A) Don't go after the regulations mentioned in the book. Law enforcement agencies are themselves not familiar with the book laws.
Instead find out about the laws which are practiced on the ground.

Q) Also, I am very ambiguous about the carrying arms with me on the move. If I have the license in my name and with me, then can I carry arms with me anywhere along with licenses?

A) Yes you can carry your weapon in a concealed manner when section 144 regarding arms is not imposed. Still, however you may not be allowed to carry your weapon at public places e.g banks, shopping malls, government offices etc. In that case you will have to declare and handover
your weapon to the security check at the entrance.

Q) In an All Pakistan license, can I carry arms with me throughout Pakistan along with the license? And what about during travel by plane/train/bus etc? Will the police have any objection while their random snap checking when they find me with my weapon and license?

A) Yes you may carry your weapon throughout Pakistan. If you have Islamabad license (MOI) then you should have your original I.D card with you otherwise law enforcers can detain you because there is no photograph on MOI and without I.D card they cannot verify if the license belongs
to you.Regarding air travel, you will have to declare your weapon at the first security check-in. Magazines should be removed with no bullets in them.
Gun, bullets and magazines should be kept seperately in a box/bag which can take a lock. Bullets should not be more than the limit mentioned on the license.

Q) And in what condition should the gun legally be in travel? I mean gun and magazine separate, or loaded and ready to fire?

A) answered above.

Q) Also, I am unclear about the much heard "144" regulation. What is it all about? How do we know when it applies and when it is lifted?

A) Imposition of 144 on arms means that you cannot carry your weapon even in concealed manner. It is normally conveyed to the public through print and electronic media whenever the ban is imposed or lifted. You may also give a call to any arms dealer and inquire about its status.

Q) And when there is a ban on carrying weapons, does this mean we cannot carry weapons with us even when accompanied with our license? Do we have to keep all weapons at home only when this ban applies?

A) Yes, you cannot carry your weapon with license when the ban is imposed. If you still want to carry it during the ban then you have to take special permission from the Home Department. They issue a letter which allows you to carry a weapon even when 144 on arms is imposed. It is
easy to get permission. Either go to the Home department and apply one with a good reason or pay a few bucks and apply it through any arms dealer.

Q) Lastly, when taking weapons on the move for selling/exchanging or when taking to the gunsmith for repair/purchase of parts etc, can we take the weapon for this reason when there is a ban on carrying weapons? Or even this is prohibited?

A) In the above case when 144 on arms is imposed, you can transport your weapon from home to dealer and vice versa. Pack the weapon without its magazine in a newspaper and apply scotch tape. Pack the magazine/s seperately. No need to take bullets along.

Q) What shall actually be a crime as per gun regulations regarding carrying weapons that could cause trouble during police check?

A) carrying a weapon without license.
carrying a weapon on MOI license and not having I.D card.
carrying a weapon in an un-concealed manner e.g keeping a loaded weapon on the passenger seat.
carrying a weapon without Home department's special permission to carry during 144 imposition on arms.
carrying bullets more in number than allowed on the license.

Nisar
09-07-2011, 10:03 AM
One more thing bro, what is the fuss about CARRY PERMIT? Under normal conditions, do we need a carry permit or license is enough? And is there any carry permit for 144 conditions or no carry at all (with or without permit) when 144 is imposed?

When we talk here about CARRY PERMIT, it means special permission letter (for Sindh Home department issue this) for carrying weapon when section 144 imposed. Otherwise in normal situation your MOI or Provincial Licence is your carry permit.

asifnwb
09-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Thank you for your clear explanations, it has cleared many doubts in my mind. I have 6 licenses but was quite reluctant to carry or even transport weapons because of the unclear rules. It has helped me a lot.

asifnwb
09-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Actually the purpose of my questions was to ask all sorts of issues in one place, as I saw in other threads that the information was there but so much scattered, and then there were often different points of view regarding these matters, so I was unclear what is right and what is wrong. Therefore, I asked my questions all in one place and requested explanations and clarification. That I got from your answers which are really helpful. Thank you!