PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Are sawed off shotguns legal?

Hamid
14-04-2009, 07:40 PM
I have seen people carrying "Karbeen" in rural areas. Is it legal to saw off your shotgun. Its banned to saw off shotgun below a certain length in the US. BTW sawed off shotgun looked cool is desperado movie. Plz comment.

ARlover
14-04-2009, 07:56 PM
If u love ur life plz never think about this thing called karbeen . Its any time burst in ur hands

Glxspk
14-04-2009, 08:47 PM
It's an effective weapon. I have one in single barrel. Yes. Carbines are legal.

m1carbine
14-04-2009, 09:00 PM
sir carbine is totally different gun sawed off short gun is called carbine locally,but the actual carbine is m1 carbine its a semi atuomatic,bolt action rifle.

Hamid
14-04-2009, 09:31 PM
I have not heard about any case of bursting karbeen but we cant rule out the possibility. Another problem with karbeen is that pellets spread soon after the leave muzzle and which in karbeen's case is just a foot away from firer's hand. It is likely to harm people standing nearby.

Glxspk
14-04-2009, 09:36 PM
If used in a SD situation that is exactly what you would want to happen.

Ahmad
14-04-2009, 10:33 PM
sir carbine is totally different gun sawed off short gun is called carbine locally,but the actual carbine is m1 carbine its a semi atuomatic,bolt action rifle.
either it can be semi automatic or bolt action.
cheers

Ka_Khan
15-04-2009, 12:49 AM
I have seen people carrying "Karbeen" in rural areas. It is legal to saw off your shotgun. Its banned to saw off shotgun below a certain length in the US. BTW sawed off shotgun looked cool is desperado movie. Plz comment.
What guns are used to make this 'Karbeen'...?

Sherwan_88
15-04-2009, 04:10 AM
Any rifle/shotgun whose barrel is shorter than 12 inches and or is of higher caliber than 7.62mm is illegal.

As for what Carbine means,

In the 18th Century, when musket rifle were used, they were long and heavy, the Cavalry needed a rifle, so the concept of Carbine was conceived, which means a short, lighter and rifle weapon for cavalry.

The M1 Carbine, was invented by David M. "Carbine" Williams, he was convicted of bootlegging moonshine and sentenced to prison, in prison he incorporated the Jonathan Browning short stroke piston in a rifle which was much smaller than the M1 Garand rifle, when the prison warden found out he let him continue to make a prototype, he was released early, and hired by Winchester, and so came the M1 Carbine. It got its name from the inventor's middle name. He was fortunate because WWII had already started and the US Army required a weapon with short-medium range of a medium caliber (A good suppression fire weapon). Because of WWII John Browning did not sue Winchester and Carbine himself for using his brothers famous design

Modern carbines like the M4, incorporate the basic principles, they are to be light, short and rifled, but are with a lower velocity of the bullet due to the shortness of the barrel, and have to be Semi/Fully Automatic weapons.
In the US Carbines are illegal which are produced before 1984.

Hamid
16-04-2009, 05:22 PM
I have seen people carrying "Karbeen" in rural areas. It is legal to saw off your shotgun. Its banned to saw off shotgun below a certain length in the US. BTW sawed off shotgun looked cool is desperado movie. Plz comment.
What guns are used to make this 'Karbeen'...?

In Pakistan, its either a single or double barrel shotgun. Its butt is removed until the grip and barrel is cut until the wooden grip below the barrel.

Hamid
16-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Buddies, imagine a sawed off double barrel with slugs in it. Stretch your imagination little bit more and think what would it do to any mugger or highway robber.

Even docs will have difficulty in ascertaining what caused this huge hole in the body.

Glxspk
16-04-2009, 05:34 PM
I'd rather keep SGs in it. If I wanted a single shot I'll saw down a double rifle with .700 Nitro Express. This is how you do real damage. :P Slugs, what slugs?

Hamid
16-04-2009, 06:15 PM
I'd rather keep SGs in it. If I wanted a single shot I'll saw down a double rifle with .700 Nitro Express. This is how you do real damage. :P Slugs, what slugs?

Just read about .700 Nitro Express and my jaw dropped. To me it looks big daddy of all bullets and cartridges.

Glxspk
16-04-2009, 07:06 PM
You'll have a lot dropping when you see what it does to elephants.

Irttyza
16-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Youtube is full of videos of Arabs firing the .700 Nitro express and landing on their behinds :D

Hamid
16-04-2009, 09:50 PM
They are so funny. Can i get this ammo from Pakistan. And can i use it in 12 bore shotgun? Its worth trying but one should have ironman's shoulder.

Glxspk
17-04-2009, 12:58 AM
Youtube is full of videos of Arabs firing the .700 Nitro express and landing on their behinds :D

Thats just another proganda against Arabs. Give a nitro express, even to someone who can handle a heavy pounding rifle, without him knowing what he's shooting. He'll be down kicking in no time. I shot one in Tanzania once and I had 'koots' (not ducks its Africa :P) rub some bloody chinese ointment on my shoulder all evening.

Hamid
14-06-2009, 05:19 PM
I have found this article on net about sawed-off shotguns. It contains laws on shortened shotgun in various European countries.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawed-off_shotgun

Topak
14-06-2009, 05:24 PM
desi karbeens also cause damage and fractures to hand.

Hamid
14-06-2009, 05:30 PM
They are also called wrist breakers. It has very limited range.

12GAUGE
14-06-2009, 07:30 PM
AoA everybody, allow me to give my two cents on this issue. i advise would be:

two words: stay away!

sawn-off shotguns are nothing more than hollywood hopla, nothing else. u'll hurt u'r self and last time i checked, replacement human ears arent available in Pakistan.

too much muzzle blast, too much bang/noise, pattern too wide to even hit anything, pressure too low for any descent penetration, range no more than 10-15 feet (pathetic), even at that range, pattern is too wide to cause any descent damage. there is a common perception that sawn-offs cause excessive recoil, well, in my experience, they dont, cause there is not enough pressure buildup in barrels to cause any excessive recoil. absolutely horrible muzzle blast, as if somebody fired a flame thrower.

Regards.

p.s., how i know? BEEN THERE DONE THAT

12GAUGE
14-06-2009, 07:35 PM
i'm sorry for sounding a bit rude in my last post, kindly accept my apologies. its just that i dont like it when people substitute safety for macho-ness/testosterone driven "style".

stay safe brothers. for style, get a good dog, heck! get a pretty girlfriend and show her off to u'r buddies, buy u'rself a blackberry or something. in firearms, never, lemme repeat, never subsitute safety for style, u'r life/existance isnt just important for u, think about u'r family too my friends.

Regards.