PDA

View Full Version : Your Kids and Gun Safety

Ka_Khan
14-04-2009, 01:20 AM
Keep any guns in your house stored safely. If you have a gun in your home, safe gun storage is the most crucial thing to remember. While you may wish to teach your child how to handle a gun at a time and place of your own choosing, remember that curiosity can sometimes get the better of a child. Keep your ammunition and weapons stored in separate, locked locations.

Use a gun lock. In many places, gun locks are now a legal requirement when you purchase a new gun. These are lock-and-key systems that physically prevent the trigger from being pulled.

Ask if your child's friends have guns in the home. It's your choice to allow or not allow your child to spend time at a house where there are guns. Either way, you should know the answer to this question. Maybe you support gun ownership, but your child's friend lives in a home that doesn't take the same safety precautions you do. You need to know what kind of access to guns your child might have - that's the single biggest contributor to gun violence, accidental or otherwise.

Talk to your kids about guns. Again, no matter what your opinion about guns, educating your kids about gun safety is always good idea. Teach them a few key points, and revisit the subject often. Very young children should know simply to stay away. Older children need to understand the difference between television and real life, and how to resolve conflicts peacefully.

Most important of all, you should always be a good role model. Teach kids to respect firearms. Make sure they understand these important safety tips, and keep the lines of communication open so you know what exposure your child might be having to guns elsewhere. People can differ philosophically on the issue, but safety needs to be a priority for all. Because no matter where you come down on the issue, there's one thing we can all agree.

Source:-http://life.familyeducation.com/gun-safety/politics-us/59180.html?page=2&detoured=1

Balazona
14-04-2009, 09:34 AM
well done.

9mm Luger
14-04-2009, 08:33 PM
great info

Hamid
14-04-2009, 09:24 PM
The son of my dad's paralegal had a quarrel with some boy in the neighbourhood. He came home infuraited and took his dad's handgun to kill the other guy. Luckily the gun was empty. It later occured that the boy knew how to load the gun but was not aware of putting in the ammo.

Glxspk
14-04-2009, 09:34 PM
I did the same thing when I was 9. Took my dad's .38special with ammo. Was caught enroute by family. :p

Ka_Khan
15-04-2009, 12:53 AM
I did the same thing when I was 9. Took my dad's .38special with ammo. Was caught enroute by family. :p

If you are married and have kids Glxspk...Keep your weapons out of reach !! :cool:

Hamid
15-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Glxspk what happened after you were cought. I mean what treat did you get from you dad:)

Glxspk
15-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Nothing really. He still jokes about it to this day. I settled the dispute with a stone :P

The beneficary of the stone my bestfriend and still has a scar on his forehead from the episode.

Ka_Khan
15-04-2009, 08:01 PM
hahahaha.....its good he is still alive to show the scar,otherwise....

Glxspk
15-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Yea, he wouldve been an angel and I'd be @ Juvenile prison.

Enigmatic Desires
23-04-2009, 03:01 AM

u tried to shoot some1 when U were 9? :O ??

Enigmatic Desires
23-04-2009, 03:07 AM
I bought a shotgun today..
AS I was lugging the case to my room. My 5 year old niece saw it.
I told her its nothign shoed her from my room and popped the case in a cubboard..

Put the ammo away..

When next i went into my room she had already opened the cubboard an was trying to take it out..

My 1st instient was to scold her..
But then I thought better of it .

I took both her and the case to her parents room. took out the gun showed her and her 3 year old sis. what a gun is .. let her hold it and satisfy her curiosity in front of her parents....and that it was not a toy.

Stressed the importance of gun safety and why it was ABSOLUTELY imperative that she never ever touch it..

With her parents chipping in for good measure..

Lastly I told em I have no ammo. And hid it where they can never find it. for good measure I'll get a small padlock to put on the case as well.

Omkhan
23-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Nice strategy ED

Khalidsh
23-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Humm... but be very carefull and keep yur guns at a place where they cannot access them as kids have even higher level of curiosity than cats.

Hamid
23-04-2009, 10:33 AM
There is an oft-quoted story. Im not sure about its origin or authenticity.

The wife of an armyman was bathing her son in the washroom, when she ran to the upper floor of the house as she had heard a gunshot.

Her two sons were on the upper floor, playing with their dad's handgun which was unfortunately loaded. One of them had shot at the other and panicked after seeing the blood. He jumped out of the window and killed himself. The kid in the washroom died as he had drowned in the bath tub.

Its a tragic story.

CougarMan
23-04-2009, 12:56 PM
children should be shown the weapons, and it should be impressed upon them that these are not toys. in the west, the NRA has a program which teaches that if a child sees a gun he should not touch it but go and find an adult. that is what we should also try and do here.

most of the newer handguns all come in a hard plastic case. what you can do is (other than keep it high above little hands in a shelf or cupboard) is get a padlock (taalla) or a bicycle chain lock and use that to secure this box quite effectivly. keep the key with you or use a combination lock.

Zubair
23-04-2009, 01:00 PM
children should be shown the weapons, and it should be impressed upon them that these are not toys. in the west, the NRA has a program which teaches that if a child sees a gun he should not touch it but go and find an adult. that is what we should also try and do here.

most of the newer handguns all come in a hard plastic case. what you can do is (other than keep it high above little hands in a shelf or cupboard) is get a padlock (taalla) or a bicycle chain lock and use that to secure this box quite effectivly. keep the key with you or use a combination lock.
Those are GORA KIDS. Our kids are extra hyper fueled by these CARTOON NETWORKS and in our society of joint families having multiple MOMS & DADS. You tell them its dangerous they will still go for it.

CougarMan
23-04-2009, 01:52 PM
well Zubair, you have to start somewhere, sometime!!! Stick with the taalla method!!!

Mohammad
23-04-2009, 04:40 PM
better keep it locked

Zubair
23-04-2009, 04:44 PM
well Zubair, you have to start somewhere, sometime!!! Stick with the taalla method!!!
right said

Zubair
23-04-2009, 04:56 PM
A good friend of mine always used to carry loaded & chambered handgun when going to his factory on SHEIKHUPURA RD. He was having a hectic schedule and on reaching back home always had this practice of clearing his gun and putting it in the closet in his bedroom. His 6 yrs old ( at that time ) boy observed his father's routine. My friend always highlighted & lectured his son on the dangers associated with the handgun.One day my friend came back & his father called him urgently. So he left the gun in the closet & forgot to clear it, . His 6yrs old son went to the bedroom,locked the door, took the gun and it went off. On hearing the bang all family came rushing and the door was locked. They started calling the boy's name and no answer. Finally they broke the door down and saw the gun lying on the carpet with the kid in a deep shock. The bullet deflected and travelled on all 4 walls before finally lodging on the closet. It was a miracle that the boy was safe.

Khalidsh
23-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Its always like better be safe than sorry.

Omkhan
23-04-2009, 05:13 PM
I liked the advise by ConcealCarry to take the children in the lawn & shoot the heck out of a watermelon ;) I ll have to try that in a few years to come.

Khalidsh
23-04-2009, 05:43 PM
what if a child does the same thing when you are not around? He take out a gun and tries to shoot a watermelon?

Think of what you will teach them

CougarMan
23-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Zubair, your friend used to un chamber his gun every night? That can't have been a good idea either, too much handling and bullet setback are a couple of things that come to mind!

+1 Khalidsh. I think slow and steady is the way and keeping weapons/ammo out of reach of kids or under lock and key.

I think with today's MODERN firearms safety remains between our two ears. Follow 4 rules of safe gun handling (as posted in the other thread):

1. All guns are always loaded.
2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
4. Always be sure of your target.

Ka_Khan
23-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Locks and No Live bullets .

Enigmatic Desires
24-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Abdullay tayabali and sons in Saddar Karachi has an excellent collection of gun safes

The number locking kind. U just memories the 4 digit number and can access it within 3 seconds.

A friend has one. it works well

tarzen81
24-04-2009, 06:25 PM
I have special cases to keep my belongings safely at home.. and i never keep any of my weapon loaded, always chambered an empty magazine and keep a magazine with 5 bullets with the gun. and then these special cases are locked in the cupboard!

Hamid
25-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Locks and placing the gun 2 feet above kid's height.

And +1 to space-between-ears-safety tip

KageFox
06-06-2009, 05:45 PM
I, being a teen myself, believe that kids, especially boys, are naturally curious about guns and weapons in general. Sometimes that curiosity might become too hard to contain. The best way to prevent this is to break the curiosity. Teach the child. Expose them to the gun when they are of a certain age and explain it to them. Explain the dangers of fooling around with one. Be gentle, yet firm. When the kid has seen and held enough of the gun, they will no longer be curious enough to go after it without the parents' permission. There's nothing good tarbiat can't handle.

Hamid
06-06-2009, 06:18 PM
In Sargodha, a 4-year-old girl has killed a 22-year-old woman with a gun shot. The gun was loaded and placed in the child's reach. That's utter violation of gun safety.

Ka_Khan
07-06-2009, 12:12 AM
NO Comments... :/

http://www.postimage.org/aV1uQdHS.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV1uQdHS)

(Pic Courtesy of Thunder)

Rizshu
13-06-2009, 02:00 PM
hye to all

Well I must say that I have in opinion that always been very careful and keep your guns at a place where kids cannot access them. If you have bought a gun try to hide it from the children till the time they donít get elder (above 10 yrs of age).

If you are in habit of carrying weapon in routine try to pick and keep the weapon beyond their eyes and keep the weapon in a safe and locked place where they should not have access.

As khalidsh said earlier that kids have even higher level of curiosity than cats, its true but I think till the time they donít know and seen gun they will not be able to get into curiosity until they reach to the age of 10.

Rizshu
13-06-2009, 02:13 PM
KageFox I am totally agreed with you. For more explanation I am quoting here a scene which I have created with one of my friendís nephew who was 9 years old four years back.

His parents are much disturbed due to his video game playing habit and always keep eye on him and stopped him to play V/G. His father beat him several times but in vain. As I got information about the matter I told his father to leave it up to me and I take him out and gave him 100 rupees and told him that you have to spend all of them by playing V/G. he did the same.

Next week when I go there I ask him do you want to play V/G. and offered him 50 rupees again but he said ďno uncle dil nahi kar rahaĒ

Hamid
13-06-2009, 02:21 PM
That strategy can work in most of cases involving kids.

NOMI
13-06-2009, 04:05 PM
baby shot father with gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0HvPQQX5Yo&fmt=18

NOMI
13-06-2009, 04:09 PM
what u think about this man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPc30JBak-I

Ka_Khan
13-06-2009, 07:44 PM
One of my Pump Action is lying in dressing room (empty).My 5 years daughter played with it for a day and now...she dont even care what is lying.

Rizshu
28-06-2009, 12:24 AM
can any one please guide that from where the number locked safes are avilable in karachi?

KageFox
28-06-2009, 12:56 AM
I think you should try Tayabally at Mansfield Street, Saddar. They have a nice selection of number keypad locked safes available.

Rizshu
12-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Most parents are concerned about the safety of their children, and do their best to provide them with a safe environment, including using car seats, seat belts, life preservers, bicycle helmets and gates on stairs. Too many parents forget about gun safety though.
Having a gun in your home, especially if it is not stored properly, can be a significant risk factor for injury and death in children. In fact, firearm related injuries are a leading cause of death in children, and include deaths from unintentional injuries, homicide and suicide.
Between 1994 and 1998, 6,287 children committed suicide with a firearm and an additional 1,896 children were killed by unintentional gun injuries in the United States. All together, 18,297 children under age 19 died from a gun-related injury during these years, according to CDC National Injury Mortality Statistics.
An even larger number of children are hurt by nonfatal gun-related injuries. Although gun-related injuries peak in adolescence, they can affect infants and younger children too. Younger children are most likely to be injured, either shooting themselves or a playmate, after playing with a gun that they have found in the home, not realizing that the gun is real or that it is loaded.
It is estimated that guns are in half of all homes in the United States. Although most of these guns are purchased for safety reasons, it is important to keep in mind that a firearm in the home is much more likely (up to 43 times more likely in some reports) to kill or injure a family member or friend than an intruder.
Because of the number of injuries from guns, which many say has reached epidemic levels, programs have been developed to educate parents and children about gun safety. These include the Eddie Eagle gun safety program from the National Rifle Association, which educates children who find a gun to 'Stop! Don't Touch. Leave the Area. Tell an Adult.' The American Academy of Pediatrics also has a 'Keep Your Family Safe from Firearm Injury' program that educates parents about gun safety and advises 'the safest thing is to not have a gun in your home, especially not a handgun.'
Many parents incorrectly assume that their child is educated about gun safety, can tell the difference between a real gun and a toy gun, and would know not to handle a real gun. A study in the June 2001 issue of Pediatrics showed this to not be true.
In this study, 'Seeing is Believing: What Do Boys Do When They Find a Real Gun?,' 29 groups of boys aged 8-12 years were observed in a room where a gun was hidden. Many of the children found and handled the gun, and half of the children actually pulled the trigger.
Most of the children that handled the found gun and pulled the trigger had previously received gun safety education. This study helps to prove that to keep your children safe and prevent firearm related injuries, it is important to restrict their access to guns, either by not having a gun in the home or by storing it properly.
Proper storage of a gun includes keeping the gun in a gun safe, lock box, or a locked cabinet or drawer. The gun should also be stored unloaded with the bullets locked separately.
A gun put in a shoe box on the top shelf of a closet is not considered to be a safely stored gun. Neither is a gun placed under the mattress or somewhere else where your child 'would never look for it.' Children are naturally curious and if a gun is not stored properly, there is a good chance that a child may find it and injure himself or someone else.
Other steps you can take to ensure gun safety include:
∑ Use a gun lock or trigger lock.
∑ Make sure that your children do not have access to the keys used to lock your guns and bullets.
∑ Teach your children to not handle guns without adult supervision.
∑ Avoid letting your children play with realistic toy guns and nonpowder firearms, such as pellet guns, air guns, air rifles and BB guns.
Even if you don't have a gun in your own home, it is important to educate your children about firearm safety in case they discover a gun outside the home or in the homes of their friends. They should know the 4 steps of the Eddie Eagle gun safety program, including:
∑ Stop!
∑ Don't Touch.
∑ Leave the Area.
∑ Tell an Adult.
You should also discuss gun safety with other parents or family members if your child spends time in their homes. It is not enough to assume that if they do have guns in the house, then they have them stored properly.
As the American Academy of Pediatrics states in their book, 'Injury Prevention and Control for Children and Youth,' the 'risks of hangun ownership outweight the benefits.' If you have children in your house, then consider getting rid of your guns. If you must have a gun in the house, then at least learn to store it properly.
If you do decide that you want to get rid of your guns to protect your children, you can look to see if a gun 'buy back' type program is available in your area. Or call the non-emergency number of your local police department and ask if they will pick it up.
Many communities also have free gun lock and/or trigger lock give away programs.

Rizshu
08-02-2010, 12:43 AM
hye guyz

just surrfing on internet when found this. :lol: :lol:

i think its the best way to keep your firearm safe from kids. :P

http://s1.postimage.org/al6Oi.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxal6Oi)

Hamid
08-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Its a gun lock. A very practical solution to avoid misuse of the gun.

KageFox
08-02-2010, 06:31 PM
A cable gun lock. Effectively renders the gun useless by being inserted through the chambering area and the magazine well. A few gun manufacturers include this safety device as part of the package.

If I am not mistaken, it uses a key. So be sure that you know what to do in case of an emergency, if your gun is locked by this cable.

bazkhan35
08-02-2010, 06:36 PM
I am just thinking if we give gun to a kid with this lock and he put his finger in the slide and by mistake release the slide.

Hmmm I think that will hurt :)