PDA

View Full Version : Ten Degree Edge

PakistanFirst
20-04-2011, 08:07 AM
I have a friend who is into blades of all kinds, including pocket knives. He was introduced to me about quarter century ago. His passion is custom knives - he makes his own knife blades and knife handles.

On each visit (I have not seen him for a couple of years) I used to see one or two knives on his desk that were in various stages of "production". He made those knives for himself.

My recollection is that at age about 8 (now I am almost 71) I was in the Shahi Bazar in Bahawalpur looking at pocket knives. Since then I have had one or two knives at all times - usually kept at home, but at times one in my pocket when hunting. Knives were not my passion; but, I had interest in them.

Whenever a knife became dull, I pulled out my sharpening stone and started to work on it. I usually tested the knife edge by the "paper"-cut method - apply the blade to the edge of the paper. If the blade at any point hesitates against paper, the blade is considered not sharp.

When I started to show some interest the knives that my friend made, he asked me if I had any pocket knives. I told him that I had two at home. He told me to bring them at the next visit, which I did. Few weeks later on the next visit I saw two pocket knives sitting on his desk. I asked him if I could see them - he said sure, go ahead. I picked them with one hand. When I opened my hand, I realized the knives in my hand were my own. My friend made them look like new and sharpened the blades to perfection. He gave me research papers on the topic of sharpening blades.

About three years ago, I came across someone who was a collector of knives. I traded with him a non-functioning air rifle for a dozen of his old pocket knives. Even though I have had a knife or two all my life, my interest was only casual. Now that I had a dozen, I started researching about my collection. It turned out that only one knife was worth keeping and restoring. The tang of the knife is stamped "Schrade+ USA 227UH". The handle of the knife bears "Uncke Henry" emblem. It has a stainless clip and skinner blades. The length when close is 5 1/4 inches. The handles are Derlin stag with silver bolsters and brass linings. According to my research, the knife was made between 1972 and 1983. The exact date of manufacture is not know.

I worked many hours on this knife to put it in decent shape and sharpen it to my liking. I measured the thickness of my main blade - three mllimeters. the width -18 millimeters. I had read articles about the appropriate angle of the blade. There was no definite finding what that angle should be. With the blade measurement I had taken, I applied trignometry to find the angle of the blade if I ground the blade perfectly flat - instead of creating a cutting angle just at the last 2-3 millimeter of the blade. This required lot of sweat bring the steel blade (400 series stainless steel) perfectly flat. My calculations concluded that the final angle would be 10 degrees (9.5604 degrees to be more precise).

I used a two-sided stone with one side medium grit and the other side fine grit. I used water on the stone as a lubricant. I soaked the stone overnight in water. As I worked the blade against the stone I kept an eye that the water surfaced on each stroke. If it did not, I soaked the stone again in water. After the rough spots were gone from the blade, it still required lot of labor to bring the knife edge to a wedge shape, like an axe blade. I sharpened the secondary blade, but not to the same angle as the thickness of the blade was not the same as the heavier duty blade.

I will pass this knife to my elder grandson when he comes of age.

HussainAli
20-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Dear Pakistan First Bro, Very Nice passionate Memories, wish most of us do have the same "Passion" for their hobbies..

Regards

PakistanFirst
21-04-2011, 09:54 AM
HussainAli,

Salam
Thank you for the complement.
Regards,

HussainAli
21-04-2011, 10:08 AM
HussainAli,

Salam
Thank you for the complement.
Regards,

Dear Bro, Please do not mentioned,,,,,,,,,,,,

You need Much More Appreciation then this, as from your number of Posts & their contents I may clearly assume that "YOU Have Been a TRUE Guns Enthusiast in Your Entire Life"

Keep It Up Bro!!!!!!!

Best Regards

Jillanik
13-05-2011, 03:41 PM
If i am not wrong Shahi bazar Bahawalpur is also famous for silver jewlery

PakistanFirst
13-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Mashli bazar in Bahawalpur is where they make silver and gold jewelery.