PDA

View Full Version : .177 is best or .22 for hunting

Hamdan Khan
17-04-2011, 09:39 PM
.177 is best or .22 for hunting plzzzz ans with reason and prove .......

Hamdan Khan
19-04-2011, 02:54 PM
.22--the hunter's choice
The .22 caliber pellet grew out of the .22 rimfire, which, at the start of the 20th century was the choice for most small shooting jobs such as pest elimination. But, a .22 caliber pellet is no longer the same diameter as a .22 rimfire bullet, nor will a rimfire barrel work well for pellets. The rimfire barrel is sized 0.222" to 0.223" across the grooves, while the airgun barrel is sized 0.217" to 0.218".

Twenty-two caliber was the most popular airgun caliber in America until the late 1960s. That's why more airguns of that caliber exist among the vintage and antique guns made in this country. The .22 caliber pellet is definitely the choice of the hunter and pest eliminator. It hits harder and also transmits more of its energy to the target than the smaller .177. A .177 pellet traveling at high-velocity is small enough to pass completely through the body of a small animal, leaving no visible signs of trauma if a vital organ or bone is not hit. Even a chipmunk can be "acupunctured" in this way. Of course, the animal is in extreme pain, but since animals don't act the same as humans, it appears to simply run off. Usually, it will die several days to weeks later, after suffering increasingly greater pain.

The same thing CAN happen with a .22 pellet, but, because of the larger size, it's much less likely. Speaking of high velocity and hunting with pellet guns, let's clear up a misconception. In firearms, a high velocity bullet does so much damage to its target that much smaller calibers can be used to hunt big game. This began with the introduction of the .220 Swift in 1935 and grew very popular through the promotion of Roy Weatherby.

But, pellets are not centerfire bullets. They don't travel 3,000 f.p.s. and faster. Even at a top speed of 1,200 f.p.s., a pellet is going WAY too slow to have a similar hydraulic shock effect on game. So a "fast" pellet is of no advantage to a hunter unless it also carries a large amount of energy that it can successfully transfer to the animal. That's why the .22 is the king of the hunting calibers.

As far as general shooting goes, the .22 caliber is just fine. The pellets do cost more than .177s and the velocities of the guns are usually slower, but a good shot will have no problem with a .22. It's the second most popular airgun caliber.

taha
19-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks for sharing. Can you provide some reference to above content?

PakistanFirst
22-04-2011, 06:51 AM
Hamdan Khan,

Salam
When I was teenager in the early 1950, my father gave me a BSA air rifle and a BSA air pistol. Both were .177 caliber. I do not recall the model of the guns. I used to look forward to days off from school to go hunting. It was exciting times for me during the summer holidays. I used to take my bike along with the air rifle or the air pistol and go into the countryside. I would leave home early in the morning and come back home in late afternoon with pigeons.

I do not know what the velocities were of my rifle or the pistol. My experience was that I either missed or brought the bird down. I used my air guns so much that I wore out ( both guns) cocking lever pivot point. In those days there was no 'karigar' in Bahawalpur that could repair my rifle or the pistol - I felt sad.

Your post about about .177/.22 air rifle brings back old memories - going back 60 years. I thank you for refreshing my past.

Regards,

LionHeart
22-04-2011, 08:59 AM
.177 is best or .22 for hunting plzzzz ans with reason and prove .......

@Hamdan Khan: Few weeks back I have shared similar type of article's link here on PG for serious air gunners and If you still want to know/understand more facts regarding these both calibers then kindly visit this below mentioned link. Hope you will like it as well .

http://kirschy.tripod.com/177vs22.html

Regards,

Hamdan Khan
23-04-2011, 04:30 PM
very great Dear pakistanfirst member my hobbies are same like your past very nice......