PDA

View Full Version : Best Solvent for Rust Removal ?

makz
04-04-2011, 09:14 PM
salam ....
can anyone guide me what will be the best solvent for removal of old rust deposits and stains?? i was gifted my great grandfathers j.stevens side by side 12 bore shotgun which has got great historic value but due to non attention since the past 2-3 years it could not be maintained. i have tried derusto rust remover as well as brasso metal polish but was unsuccessful. plz advise what nshould i do and if no option is left is there any good dealer that can refurbrish it within islamabad, pindi or peshawar .. Eagerly waiting for replies

regards to all members
makz

hunter468
04-04-2011, 09:52 PM
for best results in removing rust,use diesel

masood357
05-04-2011, 10:56 PM
salam ....
can anyone guide me what will be the best solvent for removal of old rust deposits and stains?? i was gifted my great grandfathers j.stevens side by side 12 bore shotgun which has got great historic value but due to non attention since the past 2-3 years it could not be maintained. i have tried derusto rust remover as well as brasso metal polish but was unsuccessful. plz advise what nshould i do and if no option is left is there any good dealer that can refurbrish it within islamabad, pindi or peshawar .. Eagerly waiting for replies

regards to all members
makz

Bro ! U got best advice from hunter468, follow it and your worries will be gone.
Regards.

Aquarius
05-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Depends on how deep the rust has gone into the metal.. if its superficial, a mixture of Diesel & Kerosine oil will be quite helpful but if the rust is deep enough it will be very hard to remove.

makz
06-04-2011, 02:51 PM
yes the rust is superficial i shall try the advice given to me and shall let you guys know if it worked well or not

rulf142
11-04-2011, 12:35 PM
SAlaam All,
i need your help,i want to make a shotgun licence,can anyone tell me the procedure of the shotgun licence...
Thanks in advance

HussainAli
11-04-2011, 02:17 PM
SAlaam All,
i need your help,i want to make a shotgun licence,can anyone tell me the procedure of the shotgun licence...
Thanks in advance

Dear Rulf Bro, Wellcome online to PakGuns, Bro you are posting on the wrong thread kindly post on the right thread for your required info etc.

Regards

aamir01
13-04-2011, 12:05 PM
better use WD 40

Mig
13-04-2011, 09:38 PM
WD 40 is not that Effective .

Search in older threds, Respected 12Gauge have discussed gun cleaning is very much detail.

moderators: Please shift this thread to Gun Safety and Maintenance Section

Denovo87
13-04-2011, 09:44 PM
WD 40 is not that Effective .

Search in older threds, Respected 12Gauge have discussed gun cleaning is very much detail.

moderators: Please shift this thread to Gun Safety and Maintenance Section

Per your orders boss, been moved.

mujtabakhan
14-05-2011, 10:32 AM
There is old Revolver in the custody of my brother, last night i checked that. But due to non-mantinance the revolver is jam and i was unable to open it and even its safety lock was also jam

My question is: what can i do to make it workable????

Can we use Diesel & Kerosine oil to the internal mechenical parts of the Revolver for cleaning purposes????

Plz Advice.......

HussainAli
14-05-2011, 11:04 AM
There is old Revolver in the custody of my brother, last night i checked that. But due to non-mantinance the revolver is jam and i was unable to open it and even its safety lock was also jam

My question is: what can i do to make it workable????

Can we use Diesel & Kerosine oil to the internal mechenical parts of the Revolver for cleaning purposes????

Plz Advice.......

Dear Khan Bro, Diesel & Kerosene Oils is sure effective, but please also look for the actual depth of the "Rust" and what sort of damage has it done to the metal !!!

May be some pictures of mentioned parts will help you & forum to guide you accordingly !!

Regards

Madham
14-05-2011, 11:37 AM
use WD 40 to open the internals and afterwards dip the parts in the diesel and kerosine.

Ka_Khan
14-05-2011, 11:51 AM
@mujtabakhan just dip your revolver in the kerosine oil/diesel for a while,the parts will start moving.
@makz use steel wool (used for washing dishes) to remove rust.Just dip the gun parts in the diesel/kerosine oil mixture and rub it with the wool.I have used similar method on one of very old rusted winchester.

mujtabakhan
14-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Respected HussainAli, Madham and Ka_Khan brothers,

Thank you very much for your concern and advice...

Madham bro, what is WD 40 ?? Is it available with the Arms Dealer???

taha
14-05-2011, 03:56 PM
WD 40 is a perfume/body spray type thing. But you have to use it on the gun (or any metal that has formed rust). lolz.

It is available at different gun shops, as well as hardware stores.

Nisar
14-05-2011, 09:33 PM
WD stands for "Water Displacement", WD-40 is the trademark name of a water-displacing spray developed in 1953. It was designed to repel water and prevent corrosion. The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture.

Aquarius
15-05-2011, 12:26 AM
WD stands for "Water Displacement", WD-40 is the trademark name of a water-displacing spray developed in 1953. It was designed to repel water and prevent corrosion. The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture.

But its not recommended for long term protection.

Nisar
15-05-2011, 10:32 AM
But its not recommended for long term protection.

off-course WD-40 is not suitable if someone want to store for long time.

@mujtabakhan WD-40 is a very common product and available at hardware stores as well as electronics market.

bestmagician83
15-05-2011, 02:28 PM
for the best cleaning inside the berral of shotgun i use diesel mixed with kerosine oil.

mujtabakhan
17-05-2011, 10:40 AM
TAHA and NISAR brothers, thank you very much for your concerns.

I dipped revolver in the mixture of diesel/kerosine oil and place the Pot in sunlight. Tempreture was 43 C on that day. After 4 to 5 hours, i cleaned it with tooth brush and pistol cleaning brush and after a little effort i opened it. Then i throughly cleaned it and used oil for proper lubrication.

Thanks to members for advices.... :)

Shobi
18-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Aoa, I wanted to ask if any one can tell me how to clean the cf98 body? right now I am just using a micro fibre cloth for it.
Secondly, is it necessary to clean gun with Hoppes solvent after every shooting session or I can just use brush and clean it thoroughly after 1000 rounds or may be 500?

HussainAli
19-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Aoa, I wanted to ask if any one can tell me how to clean the cf98 body? right now I am just using a micro fibre cloth for it.
Secondly, is it necessary to clean gun with Hoppes solvent after every shooting session or I can just use brush and clean it thoroughly after 1000 rounds or may be 500?

Dear Shobi Bro, "NOT" cleaning your Gun after every shoot within 24 hours is a SIN for Gun Enthusiast.

Regards