PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between Rifle Scopes & Aimpoint Red Dot Sight

Owais Hasan
21-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Dear All,

I requested to all senior member please help me in this regard.

mhrehman
21-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Owais bro, seniors will explain in a much better way. For a simple answer, rifle scopes are usually meant for long ranges and with magnifications and usually have a crosshairs for proper aiming on longer ranges, some have illuminated crosshairs etc, usually meant for hunting and usages for ranges more than 100m. Red dot sights are meant for quick and parallax free target acquisition, they are usually meant for CQB and for assault rifles etc, usually they have an illuminated red dot which you can use with both eyes open, they are not meant for long ranges, however you can get magnifiers for some red dot sight, but still the magnification is not more than 3X. Aimpoint is a very popular brand name under which such red dot sights are manufactured, but there are many other companies also making the red dot sights, there are many options, also many different kinds of reticle and dot options are available. Hope this explains a bit.

Enigmatic Desires
21-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Thats as succinct a description as any I have ever seen. I don't think any further explanations would be required after Rehman Sahib's description.

Owais Hasan
22-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Owais bro, seniors will explain in a much better way. For a simple answer, rifle scopes are usually meant for long ranges and with magnifications and usually have a crosshairs for proper aiming on longer ranges, some have illuminated crosshairs etc, usually meant for hunting and usages for ranges more than 100m. Red dot sights are meant for quick and parallax free target acquisition, they are usually meant for CQB and for assault rifles etc, usually they have an illuminated red dot which you can use with both eyes open, they are not meant for long ranges, however you can get magnifiers for some red dot sight, but still the magnification is not more than 3X. Aimpoint is a very popular brand name under which such red dot sights are manufactured, but there are many other companies also making the red dot sights, there are many options, also many different kinds of reticle and dot options are available. Hope this explains a bit.

Thank you very much for your explanation now I can understand the difference