PDA

View Full Version : Gun Cleaning Mats

Abbas
20-02-2011, 11:53 PM
We often overlook gun cleaning mats which are a must for any enthusiast. These mats are important as they provide a no scratch/padded surface to clean and disassemble our guns. Also very useful at the range incase table mats are not available.

I've been meaning to buy one but it's such a little accessory that one often forgets, the other day I was in a computer shop and saw a 'deluxe' mouse mat which can double as a great cleaning mat. It's called the Razer Goliathus, has the perfect surface required (better infact) and dimensions (35.5cm x 44.4cm).

I suggest getting one since it costs around Rs. 1600 which is nothing. Here is a weblink http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/pd/productID.169416800 and pictures below:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii99/AbbasMalik/Razr1.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii99/AbbasMalik/Razr2.jpg

12GAUGE
21-02-2011, 01:05 AM
AoA Abbas Bhai.

I like the idea of using the mouse pad as a gun cleaning mat but I kinda wonder, what would cleaning solvents and oils do to a synthetic mat. I, on the other hand, use a thick aluminum sheet. its offers the benefit of a stiff/hard surface but aluminum being softer metal doesn't scratch steel. plus it is totally safe from lubricants and solvents and cleaning is absolutely a breeze. just a quick wipe with any dry cloth to keep it looking new.

Regards.

Abbas
21-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Wsalams 12G, the mat is a rubber/cloth weave mix and solvents/oils do not affect it much.

The Aluminum sheet is a good idea, but portability might be a factor. I can just roll up the mat and take it with me everywhere. Btw shotguns enthusiasts might actually find Alumium more convenient as portability is not a big factor and they use sprays like WD40 which need to be wiped clean. In the case of handguns powder solvents / oils are used in limited quantities and improved surface like the rubberized mat will be more functional.

Starfish
21-02-2011, 04:09 PM
I think any firearms enthusiast should have both in his workshop.

12GAUGE
21-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Wsalams 12G, the mat is a rubber/cloth weave mix and solvents/oils do not affect it much.

The Aluminum sheet is a good idea, but portability might be a factor. I can just roll up the mat and take it with me everywhere. Btw shotguns enthusiasts might actually find Alumium more convenient as portability is not a big factor and they use sprays like WD40 which need to be wiped clean. In the case of handguns powder solvents / oils are used in limited quantities and improved surface like the rubberized mat will be more functional.

+1 Abbas Bhai. I specially like the portability benefits of this mat. in case of Aluminum sheet, it a pain to just move it only inches.

Regards.

ACHILLES
21-02-2011, 07:06 PM
My vote goes to fabric flexiable soft mate.

assad ahmad nawab
21-02-2011, 07:35 PM
can we use carburetor cleaner to clean the barrel dust???

HussainAli
22-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Yes Nice Assad Bro,

Dear Abbas Bro, I was also woundering about using Carburetor cleaner to clean Barrel ...As it works find on Carbon /Iron partical in our Cars.............

May be next time I will try to use this and will keep you all posted .........or if any seinor member have any experince to share with us ?

Regards

assad ahmad nawab
22-02-2011, 07:20 PM
i have asked to many people , they said use carburater cleaner its safe , because it gets dry very fast and also clean the dust , and put oil after that

Starfish
28-02-2011, 11:23 PM
You should avoid that! the carb cleaner will damage plastic / rubber and eat away paint in a jiffy. Avoid using it. Go for specified bore solvent and or brunox type sprays etc.