PDA

View Full Version : Katana in Karachi

sono
20-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Hello all,

I just recently moved back home to Pakistan. :)
Back in the US I had a good collection of different swords, my favorite being the Katana (I had 2). Of course, they weren't the real thing. The collection was too big to bring back home so I sold all of them.

I really missed my Katana so I decided to search for some in the market. I found a set, but there was something strange about it.

At home I decided to take a closer look at it, and I discovered that it wasn't even half as good as the ones I had back in the US. The swords were rat tail tang (you guys probably already know tang is the part of the blade that runs through the handle).

It was something like this:
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emubai/wallhanger11.jpg

:( Can someone help me find a Full Tang Katana here in karachi or maybe someplace nearby. I would really appreciate your help.

Here's a Full Tang:
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emubai/PPK01.jpg

Denovo87
21-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Welcome sono.... sono you can get one made (one piece instead of rat tail welded with the blade) you just have to find the manufacturer as most of the katanas you will find in market are just show pieces.... take care sono and best of luck for a sono sono katana ;)

sono
21-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Thank you :)
I contacted a few, the minimum order quantity was 30 pieces.

Please let me know if there is any around that can make 1.

Ap@ch3
21-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Sialkot and Wazirabad have many manufacturers for the same, depends if you want a tempered real thing made with hard steel or a softsteel wrapped with hard steel but none the less, those people can make to order for you, but you will need a license to buy it and bring it back according to my knowledge. My advise is to first decide what sowrdsmaking technique you believe in so you know what you want ....

Denovo87
21-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Thank you :)
I contacted a few, the minimum order quantity was 30 pieces.

Please let me know if there is any around that can make 1.

As Ap@ch3 bro advised, these are made in Sialkot & Wazirabad (40KM from Sialkot) but you will have to travel here to get one made, second option is what I suggested earlier ask some shop dealing these in Karachi to arrange a specially made from their manufacturer.

"King Of Kings"
22-02-2011, 01:32 AM
@ denovo87
sir can you tell me where exactely i can find this kind of stuff in sialkot or even in wazirabad,,,???

thanks and regards,

metalgear
23-02-2011, 09:45 PM
blade bigger then 3 inches needs licence ;-)

croblade
15-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Really? Pakistan law says that?

guns for me
15-03-2011, 07:17 PM
blade bigger then 3 inches needs licence ;-)
+1 metalger

Dr Zakir
16-03-2011, 12:15 AM
I did know that

croblade
16-03-2011, 05:27 PM
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emubai/PPK01.jpg

Is this Hanwei's katana from Practical series?
If you have license for it you may get it via internet. It is good quality for that price.

Enigmatic Desires
17-03-2011, 11:55 AM
A sword of any type does require a licence. However getting an actual folded/refolded Dai Katana ( or even a Vuzi kashi for that matter) made here is a tall order to say the least. I have been lookin for something other then show peices for ages..

At most u can get a decent sword made in the Katana shape but an honest to goodness (soul-of-the-samurai) samura sword. The kind that can split .45 bullets.. here

:(

faisalfareedi
17-10-2014, 11:37 PM
Here is my Katana, although the images are of the auction site, but if anyone want to see in person then welcome, when i will be PK327573275832759327603276132762

hmd
18-10-2014, 01:03 AM
Here is my Katana, although the images are of the auction site, but if anyone want to see in person then welcome, when i will be PK327573275832759327603276132762
This is one beautiful Katana .

faisalfareedi
18-10-2014, 10:59 PM
This is one beautiful Katana .
Thanks a lot Bhai

zia raza
23-10-2014, 05:10 AM
Recently came across one, guy got offer of 2M from one of senior politician of karachi but he refused... Is it that much expensive... I never knew.. Friend told me Its atleast a century old but still looks like new..
he didnt allowed me to take pics dont know why... But it was a mouthwatering eye candy.

does it really worth this much or guy was just glorifying his stuff..

faisalfareedi
23-10-2014, 09:55 AM
Recently came across one, guy got offer of 2M from one of senior politician of karachi but he refused... Is it that much expensive... I never knew.. Friend told me Its atleast a century old but still looks like new..
he didnt allowed me to take pics dont know why... But it was a mouthwatering eye candy.

does it really worth this much or guy was just glorifying his stuff..
yes Bhai, a Katana can be way more than that, but if it is made by the main Katana making family and it should be certify too, but the main problem is that the all originals are made in Japan, and Japan imposed ban on their export, there is no way anyone can take Katana out of Japan, and if it is made by their relative or student out of Japan, even then a Katana can be as double as you quoted,
mine one is certified and is made by a student of the main family student,
i bought it around 4 years back from an auction for 2,500 US$, and its a normal one, like entry level Katana ...... :)

hmd
23-10-2014, 11:14 AM
yes Bhai, a Katana can be way more than that, but if it is made by the main Katana making family and it should be certify too, but the main problem is that the all originals are made in Japan, and Japan imposed ban on their export, there is no way anyone can take Katana out of Japan, and if it is made by their relative or student out of Japan, even then a Katana can be as double as you quoted,
mine one is certified and is made by a student of the main family student,
i bought it around 4 years back from an auction for 2,500 US$, and its a normal one, like entry level Katana ...... :)
Agreed Katana can be very expensive if it's made by a well known craftsman and have proper documentation .

usman.baba
29-10-2014, 03:21 PM

Beautiful Katana love it

ronin
29-10-2014, 04:59 PM
can u brief the specifications of this katana ?
look wise it is nice.

@faisalfareedi

Surg.Ray
29-10-2014, 08:01 PM
WHERE is the sword master of this forum??

faisalfareedi
29-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Beautiful Katana love it
Thanks Bro :)

faisalfareedi
29-10-2014, 09:25 PM
can u brief the specifications of this katana ?
look wise it is nice.

@faisalfareedi
Bro its actually entry level, not very much high-fi in specs
its hand forged and folded of carbon steel of 2 different types, hand polished and hand sharpen, with certificate, with blood groove, genuine Ray skin handle(Tsuka), length is around 41 inches
it comes with a carry bag and silk sword bag, and maintenance kit :)

Fudgepacker
29-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Beautiful sword!

Enigmatic Desires
30-10-2014, 01:49 AM
WHERE is the sword master of this forum??

Surgy he prefers to "dance" with smaller ones remeber? This is proberly a bit too big for him to handle..

Speaking of which I gave away my Katana: Anduril to a fellow member of the PG family.. May she be in good hands from no onwards..

Sand
30-10-2014, 02:40 AM
I agree with Ed. My stuff is one-handed Indian or Persian blade.

I wish they came with a steel quality like this.

*hides his old looking semi sharp lightweight swords in shame and cries in a dark corner*

faisalfareedi
30-10-2014, 02:32 PM
Beautiful sword!
Thanks Bro :)

D3AD!
30-10-2014, 03:32 PM
bro how much it costs if you get one from wazeerabaad and how good they are i mean quality wise and usage

Sand
30-10-2014, 06:44 PM
You cant do a steel versus steel fight with a Wazirabad sword (one will cut through the blade of the other) but you can definitely cut through flesh, bone and wood with it. Costs between 8 and 15k per piece depending on your steel type, design and finish.

Excellent for self defense at night, or in the wild etc, but not so good if you want to go on a GTA style rampage.

D3AD!
30-10-2014, 08:31 PM
You cant do a steel versus steel fight with a Wazirabad sword (one will cut through the blade of the other) but you can definitely cut through flesh, bone and wood with it. Costs between 8 and 15k per piece depending on your steel type, design and finish.

Excellent for self defense at night, or in the wild etc, but not so good if you want to go on a GTA style rampage.

thanks bro, don't they use high quality carbon steel if ordered specially ???
a sword who can't handle another sword in sword to sword contact would be worthless

Sand
30-10-2014, 09:35 PM
I dont think there is much of a chance that you would find yourself facing a samurai or a ninja during any burglary or robbery or mobile snatching or whatever so you can simply forget about the steel on steel action in practical life. (Note: if you DO find yourself on the bad end of a sword, reply with a bang bang toy instead. trust me, if you have good enough training, a metal stick is dozens times better a weapon than a sword)

Dont know about their steel quality. Ask Ed. He placed a custom steel order with them. Im happy with my damascus blade (which I keep for personal safety at night, not samurai combats)

D3AD!
30-10-2014, 10:42 PM
thats fantastic if you know how to handle swords properly bro, its an art
infact more than just art, did you did some specific kind of training bro ?

Sand
31-10-2014, 12:08 AM
My training is with handed swords (indian / persian / turkish) instead of two handed swords of japan and china. And its more about confusing your opponent than power.

I posted 2 videos somewhere here. idk which thread i posted in though.

D3AD!
31-10-2014, 02:58 PM
that's awesome bro, have fun with your swords.........

Shadow001
03-11-2014, 08:05 PM
like sand.. i prefer single handed swords better than the Double handed single sword ( Katanas for example) i learnt that after i got one :P i had a variety a long time ago but now i only have that .. i was planning on getting some french rapiers and some ninjatos as well... 330323303333034330353303633037 some of my sword collection.. the other one ( other than the katana ) that i had custom made was a single handed dual weild one but i never had the cash to get its twin

Sand
04-11-2014, 01:22 AM
Its called naginata (the top one) and it is most certainly a long weapong, two handed and very very complex to use. Far harder than a two handed sword. But thats true for most two handed weapons other than sword, long stick and lance.

Shadow001
04-11-2014, 07:53 AM
well... i was better with the naginata than im with the katana .. :P after all i trained with the likes of this....

usman.baba
07-11-2014, 01:56 PM
like sand.. i prefer single handed swords better than the Double handed single sword ( Katanas for example) i learnt that after i got one :P i had a variety a long time ago but now i only have that .. i was planning on getting some french rapiers and some ninjatos as well... 330323303333034330353303633037 some of my sword collection.. the other one ( other than the katana ) that i had custom made was a single handed dual weild one but i never had the cash to get its twin

Bombastic collection bro . great