PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Way to Remove FTF/FTE

A.Abbas
13-02-2011, 01:10 AM
I have seen some users struggling and using unnecessary force while trying to remove FTF/FTE, in my opinion it is dangerous to play like that when you are dealing with the live ammo.

There is a simple and rather effortless way to solve the problem and could be helpful for new users

First step is to lock the slide manually by pushing the slide-lock up while pulling the slide back, in either Case FTF/FTE.

In first scenario, the FTF (half feed), while the slide is manually locked, just push the round back in the mag from neck ring with any hard object i.e. screw driver, key, knife etc and remove the mag and rest the round.

You can also use your finger but in this case, don't trust the slide lock with your finger in the ejection port, as a little backward push/movement of slide will release the slide lock (and it is not a good scenario if you need your finger),therefore, it is a good practice to hold the slide firmly against frame with one hand and keep the slide lock pushed up with thumb of same hand while removing problem.

In second FTF scenario,the round completely fed/seated but the ejector is not engaged (head is not seated in the slide properly),lock the slide, remove the mag and tilt the gun (chamber side) down, the round will fall with out any effort or a little taping may help, (in this case if you fire, the round may fire but it can damage the ejector and cause the FTE and double feed).

In case of FTE either by failed engagement or damaged ejector, there is always second half fed round round in the way pushing the un ejected case.

The procedure is same, lock the slide, push back the half fed round in the mag, remove the mag and need a little effort to remove the empty case with any hard object as the case of fired round always expands and stuck in the chamber.

Here are some simulated illustrations.

FTF
http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad156/abbas437/common/FTF.jpg

Ejector not engaged
http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad156/abbas437/common/EjectorNotEngaged.jpg

FTE
http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad156/abbas437/common/DoubleFeed.jpg

Slide lock
http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad156/abbas437/common/SlideLock.jpg

Removal
http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad156/abbas437/common/Pushingback.jpg

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad156/abbas437/common/Tilt.jpg

AK47
13-02-2011, 08:17 AM
@A.Abbas..........Thanks bro, a practical share as usual, with illustrations.

Regards.

s.cheema
13-02-2011, 10:58 AM
nicely explained, thanks for sharing

Faisji
13-02-2011, 11:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfyULpEhmug

Aquarius
13-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Very nice shares A.Abbas and Faisji brothers.

"King Of Kings"
14-02-2011, 01:41 AM
very well explained bro

regards,

assad ahmad nawab
14-02-2011, 03:40 PM
nice information with display

Engineeer
15-02-2011, 02:56 PM
very very good to share such info thanx bro.............

Naveed_pk
15-02-2011, 06:38 PM
very well explained bro

regards,

mbkhan
15-02-2011, 07:24 PM
hi gunners

Really nice post...
safety is top priority
This can be a life saving info, most people even some senior gunnerz dont know this but...

in case of a mis fire and FTE/FTF please do point the gun at anyone or any object I have seen ppl pointing the weapon upwards on downwards unintentially towards their feet.
A misfired round can fire within 30 to 60 seconds ...

We have a habit of not reading the manual and just loading the weapon with ammo and testing it... I met some senior gunners at a meet but he did not know abt this vital info...

Please DO NOT point the gun on the floor or on any object as a misfire can lead to some serious harm to yourself, property or others.

In case of misfire leave the weapon pointing towards safe direction and wait for at least 60 to 90 seconds before handling it...

chilzzzz

bbiillaall
15-02-2011, 09:46 PM
great info mbkhan and a.abbas bro

HussainAli
15-02-2011, 09:53 PM
hi gunners

Really nice post...
safety is top priority
This can be a life saving info, most people even some senior gunnerz dont know this but...

in case of a mis fire and FTE/FTF please do point the gun at anyone or any object I have seen ppl pointing the weapon upwards on downwards unintentially towards their feet.

We have a habit of not reading the manual and just loading the weapon with ammo and testing it... I met some senior gunners at a meet but he did not know abt this vital info...

Please DO NOT point the gun on the floor or on any object as a misfire can lead to some serious harm to yourself, property or others.

In case of misfire leave the weapon pointing towards safe direction and wait for at least 60 to 90 seconds before handling it...

chilzzzz

Dear MbKhan,

NIce info bro, But will highly appricate if you could provide some bases of you information as where can we get such info like a Mis-fire can blast within 30 to 60 Sec or so please.

But any way very nice point and info.....

Demon613
15-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Dear MbKhan,

NIce info bro, But will highly appricate if you could provide some bases of you information as where can we get such info like a Mis-fire can blast within 30 to 60 Sec or so please.

I have experience in American Law Enforcement as well as US Army. During extensive and prolonged shooting, particularly in warm weather, the barrel and action of the weapon becomes extremely hot.

A "live round" stuck in the chamber of any weapon, particularly when hot, has the potential to "cook off", whereas the heat from the chamber, barrel or bolt face causes the primer or gunpowder to detonate, causing the bullet to leave the casing and exit the barrel.

I always carry a pocket knife (SOG Flash II spring-assisted) and there have been a few times where I have had a Failure to Extract/Eject and locked the bolt or slide back on my weapon and used my knife to pry the round of ammunition out by getting the blade under the rim of the cartridge and work it loose.

I have been present for stuck ammo "cooking off" in hot guns and peoples' hands were nowhere near the trigger. Always keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction.

Faisji
16-02-2011, 12:39 AM
hi gunners

Really nice post...
safety is top priority

chilzzzz

You mean "Hangfire"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hang_fire

A.Abbas
16-02-2011, 02:04 AM
The idea to put this practice on line, came to my mind when I have seen some users and unfortunately some experienced ones struggling to remove the FTF/FTE and in the process, gun is pointing in every direction, scaring the hell out of peoples around and more to that some people struggle to keep hold of slide just to inspect the barrel.

I feel no hesitation to say that, few years back (when I owned my first gun), I use to struggle same way to remove any malfunction but with time while learning the gun, I learned this simple task and thought, share this safe practice may be helpful for few people like me.

On the delayed discharge, though, I didn't personally experienced or seen one but some serious people I know, have seen/experienced delayed discharged somewhere between 30 to 60 seconds after the trigger pulled.

LionHeart
16-02-2011, 12:49 PM
@A.Abbas: brother thanks for sharing this nice and information thread and well illustrated.

regards,

mbkhan
16-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Dear MbKhan,

The idea to put this practice on line, came to my mind when I have seen some users and unfortunately some experienced ones struggling to remove the FTF/FTE and in the process, gun is pointing in every direction, scaring the hell out of peoples around and more to that some people struggle to keep hold of slide just to inspect the barrel.

I feel no hesitation to say that, few years back (when I owned my first gun), I use to struggle same way to remove any malfunction but with time while learning the gun, I learned this simple task and thought, share this safe practice may be helpful for few people like me.

On the delayed discharge, though, I didn't personally experienced or seen one but some serious people I know, have seen/experienced delayed discharged somewhere between 30 to 60 seconds after the trigger pulled.

As i said in my post WE DONOT Read the manual just load the weapon and start shooting.....

Extract from my CZ100 manual
http://mbkhan.webs.com/cz100/FTF.GIF

Stay Safe and act responsibly.

Chillzz

hunter468
25-02-2011, 07:18 PM
nice sharing with practical illustration,really liked your way of teaching these lessons.

mimran
25-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Awesome! Information for new user, for their and others safety. Thanks to share.

Skeeter60
08-03-2011, 05:11 PM
While Useful ideas have been put forward, a misfire should be treated as an unsafe round and after waiting a few seconds sharply rack the slide while pointing down range never in an unsafe direction. When Modern ammo misfires (very rare ) the round will be safe after after few seconds how ever a 30 second wait is to ensure one does wait.
While in a SD scenario, one must follow the military drills which are as as under.

Stoppages and Immediate Action

Please Never use a screw driver or a knife blade to remove a stuck .22 round as it can fire with disastrous results
Smoke Stack jamm

Fired case extracted but not ejected and points up wards.
Pull back slide jerk the weapon towards the right side smartly throwing the case and release slide.
Resume shooting.

Double Feed.

Remove Magazine
Pull back slide
Re-insert magazine
Pull back and release slide smartly
Resume firing

Stuck case ( God Help you )

Remove magazine
Smartly pull back slide and sharply release it , and again pull back slide to eject case
Re -insert magazine rack slide and resume firing.

Failure to Lock
Sharply bump the slide rear with the heel of the non shooting hand
Resume firing.
If you hear a click which means only a case in the chamber, rack slide sharply
Resume firing.

super
08-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks A.Abbas bro and thanks sir Skeeter60 for describing the actions in to-the-point form. It indeed is very helpful. :)

In the pics above we can see that projectile and shell both have serious scratch markings. Is that anything to worry about in the context of FTF/FTE?

Faisji
08-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Stoppages and Immediate Action

Please Never use a screw driver or a knife blade to remove a stuck .22 round as it can fire with disastrous results
Smoke Stack jamm

Fired case extracted but not ejected and points up wards.
Pull back slide jerk the weapon towards the right side smartly throwing the case and release slide.
Resume shooting.

Double Feed.

Remove Magazine
Pull back slide
Re-insert magazine
Pull back and release slide smartly
Resume firing

Stuck case ( God Help you )

Remove magazine
Smartly pull back slide and sharply release it , and again pull back slide to eject case
Re -insert magazine rack slide and resume firing.

Failure to Lock
Sharply bump the slide rear with the heel of the non shooting hand
Resume firing.
If you hear a click which means only a case in the chamber, rack slide sharply
Resume firing.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000

Here is what it looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfyULpEhmug&playnext=1&list=PLED8328F11131E09C

"King Of Kings"
09-03-2011, 04:42 PM
great share bro
the vedio is very informative...