PDA

View Full Version : Top five survival tools

bazkhan35
11-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Last week I saw two movies in one the most important tool was a knife and in the second one it was a light.

So just want to know if you have a choice to choose only five survival tools then which one you will choose.

I know you should have many things and it depends on the journey.But if you dont know where the journey will be then what 5 tools you will have.

ONLY FIVE :)

Faisji
11-02-2011, 04:37 PM
1.Good quality Knife
2.Fire-tool
3.Compass
4.Paracord
5.Rain-proof sheeting 6'x6'

Anaglyphical
11-02-2011, 05:33 PM
1)Walther's Tac knife
2) water proof tent
3) good flashlight
4) Mobile+GPS
5)First aid kit

Ka_Khan
11-02-2011, 10:09 PM
1)Hunting kinve.
2)Flash light.
3)First aid kit.
4)water proof tent.
5)Fire tool.

ALI BABA
12-02-2011, 12:34 AM
1 A dagger and small knife
2 rope 2 metre
3 2 diffrent types of wisle(shiti)
4 mathch box or lighter
5 cloth or blanket

Silent killerr
12-02-2011, 06:06 AM
1) A 7' inches dagger and a small folding knife
2) flash light
3)Fire tool
4)First aid kit
5)Water proof tent

eyeforirfan
12-02-2011, 10:45 AM
flash light
knife/dagger/sword etc
compass
winter sleeping bag
Lighter etc

bazkhan35
12-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Till now the most important tool is a good quality knife

Faisji
12-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Till now the most important tool is a good quality knife

Knife is apex tool.
It can be used as a stand alone or used to develop other tools.It can feed you/cloth you and protect you.

Engineeer
15-02-2011, 11:44 AM
i dont know how to calculate mean of all ......................hahhahah

Faisji
15-02-2011, 12:28 PM
i dont know how to calculate mean of all ......................hahhahah

???????????????????????

Engineeer
15-02-2011, 12:59 PM
how to calculate average of all 5 and 5 and5 and mix .............to say most of five combination's good and recommended
a knife ..........product of leatherman tool 17 att.
light
line bedding
digging tool

exceptional_leo
22-02-2011, 11:44 AM
a backpack with following items:
a sleeping bag
a gerber knife
a torch
a compass
a piece of rope

Survivalist
24-02-2011, 04:27 PM
1. A Victorinox Swiss Knife or Gerber Multitool (Swiss Survival Toolkit is better but cost 12k at Gown House)
2. A Roll of Duct Tape
3. A Surefire Tourch
4. A Firestarter or Windproof Lighter
5. A First Aid Kit

This selection is for minimum survival and includes Safety, Signalling, Fire & Heat, Shelter, FirstAid groups.

A comprehensive BoB list for reference; http://nomanshah.com/blog/bug-out-bag/

croblade
15-03-2011, 06:10 PM
1. Holly script. If I have to die I want make it calmly and in peace. It is only personal.

2.Gerbers Bear Grills Ultimate knife (not Bayley's knife).

3. Gerber Recon flash lite

4. BCB Crusader Cooking Set

5. All Purpose Softsided Kit

M.ASIF KHAN
15-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Nice and useful things

bestmagician83
16-03-2011, 07:23 PM
1. Knives
2. First Aid Kit
3. Lighting Equipment
4. Zippo Lighter
5. Tool Box.

PakistanGuides
13-04-2011, 01:27 AM
Interesting choices ... but it all sounds so hypothetical unless the relevance of the "TERRAIN" to survive is also taken into consideration.
By the way, none of my above friends chose any food or water & assumed, plenty of stuff would be available in the vast deserts of sand, snow or sea ... joking !
You may all disagree but none of these tools helped me when I was lost in a snow storm across Gasherbrum Glacier in October 1988 & on our return to Concordia found our tent, kitchen, food & all camping gear stolen by porters ... so I carried my snow blind cook along with all my personal baggage & camera gear through those crevasses hidden under CHEST DEEP fresh snow & we both spent three nights without a tent in freezing cold terrain. The difficult glacier trek that was normally done by trekkers in 8 to 10 days (from IHEC/GB to Dassu) was scaled by me & my cook in 3 days & we walked for over 18 hours a day !
Though I had the "ABOVE MENTIONED TOOLS" plus many others in my rucksack, but I & my blind cook survived using the following wonderful tools.
01 : Knowledge (backed by professional training)
02 : Stemina (backed by physical fitness)
03 : Determination (backed by patience)
04 : Hope (backed by vision)
05 : And above all ... My Profound Emaan (backed by Allah's kind help)
Thanks for sharing !
Best Regards

Skeeter60
13-04-2011, 03:27 AM
Interesting choices ... but it all sounds so hypothetical unless the relevance of the "TERRAIN" to survive is also taken into consideration.
By the way, none of my friends chose to carry any food or water & assumed, plenty of stuff would be available in the vast deserts of sand, snow or sea ... joking !
You may all disagree but none of these tools helped me when I was lost in a snow storm across Gasherbrum Glacier in October 1988 & on our return to Concordia found our tent, kitchen, food & all camping gear stolen by porters ... so I carried my snow blind cook along with all my personal baggage & camera gear through those crevasses hidden under CHEST DEEP fresh snow & we both spent three nights without a tent in freezing cold terrain. The difficult glacier trek that was normally done by trekkers in 8 to 10 days (from IHEC/GB to Dassu) was scaled by me & my cook in 3 days & we walked for over 18 hours a day !
Though I had the "ABOVE MENTIONED TOOLS" plus many others in my rucksack, but I & my blind cook survived using the following wonderful tools.
01 : Knowledge (backed by professional training)
02 : Stemina (backed by physical fitness)
03 : Determination (backed by patience)
04 : Hope (backed by vision)
05 : And above all ... My Profound Emaan (backed by Allah's kind help)
Thanks for sharing !
Best Regards

Thank God your fitness,experience and God helped you.
I am very sad to learn of theft on the Glacier.
Theft is something unknown in the simple people of the Northern Areas. This has to be a very new phenomenon.
Stealing camp gear will result in certain death for the Hunters /Campers/Trekkers, knowing this; it is an unwritten law of the area that no one ever steals. I remember seeing clothes and tools lying on the road side as the workers would come the next day to start work without having to haul these long distance from their villages.

Tiger Roars
15-04-2011, 04:58 PM
@Skeetr60; sir you are absolutely right , I agreed +1000. Because its my personal experience is same like yours.
Theft on the Glaciers is very easy to trace out, porters are very innocent and friendly with tourists and loyal with operators because their interest of job with operators is not one time story but its matter of every season.

I also enjoyed K-2 Base Camp Trekking few years back, one of our member by mistake dropped his very expensive camera on the road side wall at Jail Road-Skardu, my friend recalled his memory for lost camera when we were at Shigar.
My Guide said to me sir don't worry camera should be at the same place.

So, I went to town Army Exchange and availed help line for call back to hotel at Skardu. After few minutes man replied us; ‘he found that camera on the same place (after many hours) and he is sending it to Shigar by another jeep.

Its really amazing & sad first story for me happened with Mr.Kesar Khan Sahib.
Otherwise you are right nothing is on the record about theft stories of porters. Especially Hunza - Baltistani peoples don't know what is theft & murder.
I have one Video recording of one female Polish Travel Writer with salutes to the loyalty of the porters of northern area.

She said in her speech; Northern Areas of The Pakistan are 100% safe and peace full, with 0-Tourist Crime reports comparatively high crime graph of the Nepal, India & Sri Lanka.